PDA

View Full Version : My computer finally shot craps

kepp
09-15-2007, 12:37 PM
So, after five or so years of good service, my self-built computer finally crapped out. Admittedly, it was time to upgrade anyway, but with a new addition to the family recently, our budget is pretty tight. Its been a long while since I built a PC and I'm pretty out of touch with what's available now. So I wanted to ask you folks what you think is the best value for a motherboard/CPU/RAM. I pretty much have everything else I need.

The computer will run XP and will be used for pretty much everyday stuff - video editing/processing (nothing professional, just home stuff), MS Office, e-mail, my daughter's games, etc - so it doesn't need to be a powerhouse or anything. Just something with decent speed that will last.

So, what say you? ...and thanks in advance for your input.

Mr. Laz
09-15-2007, 12:46 PM
So, after five or so years of good service, my self-built computer finally crapped out. Admittedly, it was time to upgrade anyway, but with a new addition to the family recently, our budget is pretty tight. Its been a long while since I built a PC and I'm pretty out of touch with what's available now. So I wanted to ask you folks what you think is the best value for a motherboard/CPU/RAM. I pretty much have everything else I need.

The computer will run XP and will be used for pretty much everyday stuff - video editing/processing (nothing professional, just home stuff), MS Office, e-mail, my daughter's games, etc - so it doesn't need to be a powerhouse or anything. Just something with decent speed that will last.

So, what say you? ...and thanks in advance for your input.
actually i've seen some pretty decent pre-built computers for cheap.

under 500 bucks

next one i see i'll post up.

kepp
09-15-2007, 03:46 PM
What about this deal?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3316499&Sku=P450-9106%20A

Mr. Laz
09-15-2007, 07:19 PM
What about this deal?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3316499&Sku=P450-9106%20A

pretty decent for the price

solid CPU (would be better to have a Duo core)
pretty much the minimum acceptable memory
graphics card is solid but i've heard the fan can be a little loud.

barebones doesn't include CPU fan or software

beware TigerDirect rebates

Fire Me Boy!
09-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Check out NewEgg.com for their barebones systems.

wendy666
09-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Hey, I usually like to search what I need online, such as newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, dealstudio and so on. Maybe you can try. I think it's more convenient and cheaper. If your budget is pretty tight, you may want to find a deal. Because sometimes the retail price and deal price make a huge difference. Recently I found a Intel Dual-Core CPU online for $70 instead of $100, a great deal price. The Intel Pentium D Processor 900 Sequence features a dual-core design with two complete processor cores that each run at the same speed in one physical package, featuring Intel Virtualization Technology. Enabled platforms can run multiple operating systems and/or applications in independent partitions or environments for improved security and remote mangeability. I think it's suitable for you, of course within your budget. Maybe you want to look up, then click it to check out
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=59850
Hope it helps you, good luck

KCFalcon59
09-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Hey, I usually like to search what I need online, such as newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, dealstudio and so on. Maybe you can try. I think it's more convenient and cheaper. If your budget is pretty tight, you may want to find a deal. Because sometimes the retail price and deal price make a huge difference. Recently I found a Intel Dual-Core CPU online for $70 instead of $100, a great deal price. The Intel Pentium D Processor 900 Sequence features a dual-core design with two complete processor cores that each run at the same speed in one physical package, featuring Intel Virtualization Technology. Enabled platforms can run multiple operating systems and/or applications in independent partitions or environments for improved security and remote mangeability. I think it's suitable for you, of course within your budget. Maybe you want to look up, then click it to check out
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=59850
Hope it helps you, good luck

This sure sounds like spam!

Mr. Laz
09-18-2007, 02:19 PM
This sure sounds like spam!
maybe .... but it was asked for :shrug:

Simply Red
09-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Vision Computers in Norcross,Ga.

Simply Red
09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
http://www.visioncomputers.com/

chasedude
09-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm assuming your all your Hard Drive and CD/DVD-Rom's are IDE. SATA is the new standard nowadays. There are still IDE motherboards out there.

kepp
09-20-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm assuming your all your Hard Drive and CD/DVD-Rom's are IDE. SATA is the new standard nowadays. There are still IDE motherboards out there.
Yeah, I'd probably want to get a system that can handle both. I've seen a few.