PDA

View Full Version : new Chiefs' fans are coming...

htismaqe
05-25-2001, 10:20 AM
My wife watches football based solely on whether or not she thinks the quarterback is hot...

Good news...she said she'd watch KC football with me this year -- the first time ever! :D

Cormac
05-25-2001, 10:26 AM
LOL. I'm trying to convince my g/f that TG looks like the guy from JAG (her fav). Well.....he does to me :confused: :D We hadn't a chance last year anyway, that's for sure. Even the People magazine faux-pas didn't help :eek:

alanm
05-25-2001, 10:48 AM
I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Now she's going to be asking you all kinds of stupid questions. :D

htismaqe
05-25-2001, 10:53 AM
Actually, she usually asks pretty good questions. When she sits down to watch football, she likes to know what's going on. I don't mind answering her questions, since they're not incessant, and she does have a legitimate interest in why things happen the way they do...

NaptownChief
05-25-2001, 10:54 AM
Does she ask questions like "What are those guys doing with those chain thingies?"

Iowanian
05-25-2001, 10:58 AM
I've had girlfriends that gained an interest in football.

Suggestion.
If you have an old game tape...sit down with her before the season, watch some stuff...explain whats happening...who is who. what postions are called, penalties, situations etc....

then when its 3rd and 1 on the 3yard line to beat the raiders..you won't miss the play explaining what the towel hanging from the QBs belt is for...

just an idea. ;)

Hoover
05-25-2001, 11:40 AM
My g/f is not a Chiefs fan because they use red and yellow in their color scheme. But now since Trent Green is a "Hottie" she is looking forward to watching a few games this year. Man, she would be a hardcore fan if the Chiefs colors were just Red, white, and Black. I just glad I might get to watch a few more games this year, instead of watching women's tennis.

Hoover

htismaqe
05-25-2001, 11:48 AM
Iowanian,

I've already done that. She knows most of the basic rules. She even knows some of the official's signals and stuff. She knows how to spot an offsides or a hold before the whistle blows.

Unfortunately, enjoying the game isn't nearly the criteria that watching someone like Trent Green is.

Last year, she watched Rams and Packers games quite a bit...

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2001, 12:13 PM
I feel pretty fortunate after reading many of your posts. My girlfriend likes and understands football fully. She LOVES baseball and blows away anybody I know at throwing out stats, details of trades, and history in that sport. We went to the National Motocross Races last weekend at Hangtown and she absolutely loved it. 7 hours of standing in the 100+ degree sun. She even bought the tickets to Laguna Seca this year for the AMA and World Road Racing Champioships to make sure we went because I flaked at going to Sears Point. Even paid for the hotel room which wasn't cheap.

BIG DADDY

Feeling like a pretty lucky guy.:)

Phobia
05-25-2001, 01:44 PM
BigDaddy,

I can throw out some stats. Think she'd blow me, too? :D

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2001, 01:55 PM
Alright smart guy. Seriously, I have not seen anybody that wasn't totally amazed at her ability to recall stats, and figures, salaries, trades, ect. I don't even come close. Even things way before her time like. which coaches played on what teams when they were players. BTW, she gives a mean hummer too. :D

BIG DADDY

Still feeling pretty lucky. Riding the bike all weekend and no complaints. She even wants to start riding dirt bikes.

58Forever
05-25-2001, 03:30 PM
After Grbac's silly smile and stupid, clueless expressions, anything would be an improvement.

So if young women like him...will men who like men also like him? Or how about old ladies looking for that young buck? Will there be an influx of football groupies lurking around the stadium?...

htismaqe
05-25-2001, 03:52 PM
Yep...Trent Green groupies...

keg in kc
05-25-2001, 03:53 PM
Greenhornies.

cathyb
05-25-2001, 04:07 PM
A suggestion for any of you local (KC) guys who want their other half to get interested in the Chiefs... tell them to go to the Tony G. Ladies football clinic in October. Lots of the players show up. Last year Edwards, Lockett, Grunnie, Sly, Tate, Moon, and many others were there. Some of what they talk about goes over some heads (not mine!!:) ) but it's generally pretty informative. The cost includes a buffet dinner, t-shirt, and a playbook. Plus, 2 hours of staring at Tony is quite a bennie! (Donnie too- he's a hotty) They have it at the AMC theatre by Galyons off of Nall.
I go every year and it's a blast. Also benefits TG's Shadow Buddies foundation.

California Injun
05-25-2001, 07:05 PM
I cannot speak for every guy but I find a gal that is "into" sports a bit too butch for me.

If my girlfriend started throwing out stats and going ballistic every time the Chiefs turned the ball over or called a stupid play it would take something away from her beauty.

Conversely, she would not want me deciding the color schemes for our living room decor or debating the merits of the latest hair fashions either.

There needs to be a healthly distance in interests as merging every idea/interest would be suffocating.

Give me a gal that asks;

"Why isn't the QB allowed to throw the ball to everyone as they all wear the same uniforms" OVER one that states;

"A mis-direction off tackle trap would bust this drive wide open".

TCB
05-25-2001, 08:56 PM
htismaqe, My wife and I used to be a lot like injun and his girlfriend. Sunday afternoon in Dallas we would be at home or at some friends and the "women folk" serving chips dip and beer while the guys were talking about the game. Usually once the game started she would go to the mall with her friends while me and my friends wathed the games.

We moved back to Spfd. and things were pretty much the same. Then Joe Montana became a Chief. That caught her attention a little and once in a while she would sit and watch a game with me and ask the what seemed to me were silly questions. Of course any of you guys out there frustrated with trying to explain football to your better half, the next time you are trying to explain the basics take note of how many times you use the word "except". Think how hard it would be for you if someone was try to explain the rules of how any game was played and almost everytime they laid out a rule it was followed by "except when this happens".

Any way back to Joe. On that monday night in Denver in 92 or 93 (I can't remember) when Joe led us down the field and with 2 seconds left threw the touchdown that won the game she was hooked. Ever since then she is like most of us, we watch even if we know the game is not going to be any good, hoping for that last second win.

She is a fan injun and after 20 years of marriage life couldn't be any better. (Well a couple of million in the bank might make it a little better)

ken man

living large

htismaqe
05-27-2001, 08:01 AM
"Why isn't the QB allowed to throw the ball to everyone as they all wear the same uniforms"

That is EXACTLY the kind of thing my wife would ask!

She doesn't understand all of the rules, but she does know some of the penalties and stuff...she knows what an interception is and what a safety is, and that they get 4 downs to get a 1st.

She doesn't know what an off-tackle play is, or intentional grounding...

Bwana
05-27-2001, 08:49 PM
RE: Post #9 ROTFLMAO........Classic Phil! :)

cathyb
05-29-2001, 09:46 PM
If my girlfriend started throwing out stats and going ballistic every time the Chiefs turned the ball over or called a stupid play it would take something away from her beauty.....

So am I reading you right here.. that a woman that enjoys sports can't be attractive to you and part of their beauty lies in being ignorant???? I'm sure you like to watch the Chief's cheerleaders... would the fact that they actully understand the game make them less attractive too or is it just your woman you like to act dumb??
"What are they talking about when they stand in that circle, Honey??"
"Oh Sweetums, they're talking about next year's new uniforms and whether the color is 'good for their skin tone'!!"
"Ooohhh, I see! How neat!!"

Gimme a break Cal!! You can't actually be threatened by a woman that enjoys sports!!!! Are you???

kcfanintitanhell
05-29-2001, 10:12 PM
I'm just glad that my wife and I weren't watching that exhibition game last year, cuz I don't know how I would have been able to explain Grbac spiking the ball with 3rd and 19 and more than enough time to stop the clock with a timeout.

Phobia
05-29-2001, 10:15 PM
LMAO titanfaninkchell or whatever your name is.

That's funny!

California Injun
05-29-2001, 10:22 PM
cathyb,

I'm not threatened by any woman that has knowledge of sports. You misinterpreted my personal opinions.

My girlfriend has S-L-O-W-L-Y acquired a fine knowledge of the NFL but is not interested in all the intricate details (i.e. Barry Sanders led the league in rushing....).

She will occasionally sit down with me on Sundays to watch the games and could tell when Grbac was screwing up or having a great game.

But this was AFTER we have been together for close to 8 years!!

Conversely, I did not know jack squat about how to decorate a house but after watching HGTV for the 2,000th time, (she has the remote) I've picked up a thing or two by osmosis

But should I drop into a sports bar and see a chick debating the merits of Brett Favre versus Steve McNair then I will pass on that.

It's just a personal thing to me and nothing else...

cathyb
05-29-2001, 10:30 PM
I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here, really I'm not but.....

So, a general overall understanding of the game is OK by you, but if a female understands the game well enough to discuss comparitive talent or depth on one roster vs another, whatever, then you walk away? I don't understand that. Are you saying you wouldn't hit on her or wouldn't consider having a conversation with her about sports?

California Injun
05-29-2001, 10:41 PM
cathy,

Realtively speaking...... yep!!

If I wanted to discuss sports, I can hang out with my buds over a few brews and argue until the sun came up. That's just what being a dude is about.

When I hit on a woman, discussing the NFL is the LAST thing I want to talk about. If she spends that much time on useless trivia then count me out.

I waste enough time as it is on sports and require someone who could wash my clothes, cook my meals, and tend to my physical needs upon demand.........:D

Phobia
05-29-2001, 10:44 PM
Injun wants someone that isn't so into the game that she can't bring him a beer from the fridge during a game deciding replay timeout. Am I right?

California Injun
05-29-2001, 10:52 PM
Phobia,

Her bringing the beer isn't a problem.

It's when she forgets to grab the frosted mug out of the freezer that irritates the hell out of me...:p

Phobia
05-29-2001, 10:54 PM
Just so we can clarify that you aren't a manpig, do you bring her a nice chardinay while she's watching HG? ;)

tonyetony
05-29-2001, 10:55 PM
I really don't mind that my wife is in the other room watching, (Valerie Bertinelli on the stand for killing her wife beating husband and hiding her kids in a foriegn country),the LIFETIME channel. I am just to into the game and really can't stand answering questions like, " why doesn't that Chester guy just wait until the ball is hiked, Cant he see it"? Argh!

Phobia
05-29-2001, 10:58 PM
LMAO, Tony. Did you tell her Glock's nickname was 1st&5?

Also, welcome aboard! You've fit in so nicely, I'm wondering if you've just changed names or something....

Rausch
05-29-2001, 11:00 PM
My girlfriend just leaves the house on sundays. She's heard the horror stories of 95 and 97...She knows that no matter how hard I try, if we lose to seattle or Oakland, I'm just an insufferable pig. I just can't help but be a moody, irritated, angry, AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

All will be well if Dick just whoops up on the Raiders. This year, that will mean success to me!

:D

tonyetony
05-29-2001, 11:04 PM
No just a lifer from Wichita lookin and lurking since my old hang out got the plug pulled. Tony is so happy to see Elvis and the gun GET going!

California Injun
05-29-2001, 11:05 PM
Phobia,

Right now my girlfriend is working the swing shift and is not due home for another 30 minutes. So I sit here ranting and raving like the proverbial "manpig" and suffer no consequences.

With that said, there's a pile of dishes I need to wash and a load of laundry that requires sorting before she pulls up.

Dinner is cooking and (sniff, sniff... is something burning????)

Gotta go!!!!!!!!

:eek:

Phobia
05-29-2001, 11:12 PM
LMAO - funny stuff, Injun.

How did you get her to hang out for so long?

I just broke it off with my longtime g/f (nearly 4 years) because I wouldn't marry her. Great girl, but my first (and only) divorce was and still is hell. I don't want to go through that again.... EVER!

Logical
05-29-2001, 11:12 PM
CalInjun

You still on, I have a question have you had trouble recently with extremely slow access with the Planet. I have asked others and everyone has said no. Until today it was painful to get in and then to watch the page build, worse than with a modem. I have DSL and this seemed strange. I was just wondering if you experienced anything similar?

Phobia
05-29-2001, 11:13 PM
Would we know you from the old place, Tony or did you lurk there, too?

Welcome anyway, you fit right in.

California Injun
05-29-2001, 11:21 PM
Phobia,

She came with two pieces of luggage (i.e. my two "sons" now 10 and 11 respectively).

I've been raising them correctly (Sworn Chiefs fans and they become physically ill when watching the Silver and Black).

She is 8 years younger than me (she just turned 30!!!) If I hold on to her another 5 years then she reaches the point of diminishing value and I can start asserting myself in this relationship.

Until that time, I have to thank the good Lord she doesn't read these Planet posts and dump my aging butt.

Of course we could get married if only she would give in to my begging...

California Injun
05-29-2001, 11:24 PM
Jim,

I don't log on as often but to answer your question, no.

I surf here when things are slow at home or the spouse is at work.

Rausch
05-29-2001, 11:26 PM
Don't feel bad, my girl came with four kids...Great kids, but damn...that's like a litter or somp'n....

:D

She's 8 years MY senior....Date 'em old when yer' young, and young when yer' old! Grandpa Caudle was good for something anyway....

:rolleyes:

Phobia
05-29-2001, 11:26 PM
Ah - then I suspect her ex is nearly as pleasant as mine. Be patient with her, sometimes divorce can destroy a person.

Sorry to be so nosey.

Logical
05-29-2001, 11:27 PM
Well I guess I will just have to be happy the mystery period is over and it is working great again. Sounds like a good relationship CalInjun.

Logical
05-29-2001, 11:28 PM
Brad they must be special, because that is a lot of responsibility to handle when developing a relationship.

Phobia
05-29-2001, 11:30 PM
Wow, that's impressive, Brad. You must be a very giving person. I'm not sure I would be so unselfish. Kudos to you, man.

Rausch
05-29-2001, 11:30 PM
Well man, you date the girl, not the family....If you care enough, you accept what comes WITH being with the woman. I never wanted kids, and won't have any of my own, but if the time ever comes I'd addopt 'em and take 'em as my own. Great kids, but it IS a major undertaking...

California Injun
05-29-2001, 11:34 PM
Phobia,

Here's a bit of advice with divorces.

You can always earn more money but you can never earn more time. I don't know the details of your marriage but if it involved kids then I can see why you may have bitterness to this day.

My only experience with divorce ended well because I just let the "ex" have anything she wanted. Now I kept the house because it was acquired before we got hitched but all the other minor items were hers to keep.

She kept upping the ante and changing the terms but my repsonse was "If that's what you want, then take it!" My focus was on the Big Picture and that was reclaiming my sanity.

Once finalized, it was time to sell the house and move out of SoCal. No need in happenstance meetings with former relatives or the customary drive-by appearances. There was plenty of time to change jobs and meet new people.

Now if I still harbored ill feelings towards my "ex" then it would compromise my future relationships. Methinks that may be happening with your current situation.

Just my two cents on the subject....

Phobia
05-29-2001, 11:34 PM
I actually disagree - at least in my case. My g/f dated me AND my two daughters as far as I'm concerned.

You have my respect though.

Logical
05-29-2001, 11:35 PM
Kids........undertaking, hey there not teenagers, those are words that only belong together when you have teenagers I should know my last one is just leaving his teenage years in July.

Just kidding on the Kids....undertaking thing (at least I think I am kidding)

Phobia
05-29-2001, 11:39 PM
Injun - very accurate take. Much like yourself, I took all the bills & let her have most the possessions except the house (she couldn't afford the note). I share the same philosophy.

However, I need not harbor any hard feelings towards her. She does fine to rekindle them at every opportunity. She's really had a hard time moving on even though it's been 4 years and her misbehaviour was the catalyst for divorce. She partially blamed the g/f I just broke up w/ so perhaps things will cool now.

Rausch
05-29-2001, 11:45 PM
KPhobia,

I see what you mean...But it was important to me at the time (I was 19 when I met her and she 27) that I concentrate on getting to know her as a PERSON and not some gal with 4 kids...If it works out with me and her after a few dates, you worry about the implications of dating a mother of four. Until then, get to know her. You may just end up friends. Don't load yourself down with worry at the start.;)

Logical,

she's got a 14 and a 12 in that litter...A teen and a teen to shortly be...The good thing is I'm such a big kid myself that I can still relate. I'm more understanding and we get along and relate well for the situation given us. Her oldest just kills me...She's everything I HATED about the women I use ta' date!:rolleyes:

Logical
05-29-2001, 11:52 PM
Seriously Brad I have had almost no trouble with any of my kids, the key I think was spending time talking having at least one activity with each, each and every week. They are the greatest thing about my life and I really should not joke about such things. I am glad you are a big kid, I sort of am when away from work and besides I really remember my teen years and tried to relate based on those experiences and not being a hypocrite, it really helped.

I wish you all the luck in the world because happiness is so precious. I also try to remember those who have sacrificed for us and thank you for bringing it up. Over at the pen we had a thread but participation was low. The memories are important in preventing future WWs. Have a great night.

htismaqe
05-30-2001, 07:57 AM
Dudes, my divorce went like a PEACH.

I let her have the house, both cars, and everything else she wanted. Greedy ***** had no clue she wouldn't be able to pay the bills. I walked away with a dresser full of clothes, my computer, and my dog and that was it.

It broke my heart last year when she came crying to me that she was filing for bankruptcy. Especially since I just bought my wife a 2001 Volkswagen Beetle for an anniversary gift, and paid CASH for it! :D

California Injun
05-30-2001, 01:57 PM
htismaque,

Did you have to buy your furniture twice?

I went out a dropped close to $5,000 on an oak entertainment center, couches and a bedroom set within the first year of marriage. When the negotiations were commencing, she wanted all the furniture in the house and I just get a sleeping bag.

"That's cool with me." I replied.

So then she reconsiders that and tells me she'll let me have the furniture but wants the fair market value in cash. Now most of us know the depreciation factor involved with trying to sell off used furniture, but she calculated that it originally cost $5,000 so it is still worth $5,000!!

So I paid for it again!!!

To add insult to this, my current girlfriend knew that this furniture had a history to it so, you guessed it, I ended up selling it off for less than $750.

Throw in another $7,000 for an entirely new furniture ensemble and VIOLA!!!!

I'm sitting in my house with a $17,000 living room and bedroom set.

Can you guess who got the 500 SD Benz while the other was cruising the streets in a '72 International truck?

I STILL got the better end of this deal........

htismaqe
05-30-2001, 02:11 PM
Injun,

I would have told her to keep the f-----g furniture...

I told my ex to keep it all...too bad she ended up selling it all at an estate auction! :D

I never asked for any of it back, I hated all that Ethan Allen, Nieman Marcus, over-priced yuppie **** anyway...it's part of the reason we got divorced...I worked 80 hours a week and she spent that 80 hours buying Langenberger baskets and bronze candle sconces for the living room walls...

Iowanian
05-30-2001, 02:23 PM
How can you hear what your woman is saying about football if she is out back chopping wood like she should be on sunday afternoon?

kidding of course.

California Injun
05-30-2001, 02:38 PM
htismaqe,

That was what she was aiming for was a reaction. It was all about control so if you eliminate the minor garbage and maintain focus on the BIG picture then it makes sense to give in.

I can look back now and take stock in the fact that it was just inanimate objects that were sacrificed and nothing of a personal nature.

When one party is trying to stir up a fight, it galls the hell out of them when they get no response back. I'll bet she is still pissed off that this parting of the ways went so smoothly.

I took it in the shorts monetarily but have recovered quite well. I have buddies who are still getting plowed from behind emotionally 5-7-9 years AFTER the divorce!

What's the point?

htismaqe
05-30-2001, 02:55 PM
Injun,

I don't have to talk to my ex much, but when she does call I usually just laugh or something. I know that pisses her off when she knows she can't get to me anymore...

Iowanian,

She should be in the kitchen, baking a pie. If your woman's out back chopping wood, I'd be checking for a penis. Of course, we rednecks here in Iowa don't take kindly to that man-on-man stuff, so you better get the hell outta here... :D

shakesthecat
05-30-2001, 03:02 PM
Injun,
If you got the "Binder" you came out WAY ahead.:D

Iowanian
05-30-2001, 03:11 PM
parker,

the truth is that my woman drove 2hrs to paint my kitchen cabinets and is doing it as we speak. Rest assured that I have given a proper checkup and the "outie" situation is definitely not a problem....she hasn't been around for football season yet, so I dont' know what to expect.

~nothing to worry about hear...don't know anything about fabrics(except camoflage) flowers(except dandilions)...If a dude bends over in front of me, I just assume he's pickin' up a dollar :)

Skip Towne
05-30-2001, 07:47 PM
What is wrong with womens tennis? I love it!!! And I don't even care who wins as long as itis Anna Kournakova. (So I can see her again tomorrow)