PDA

View Full Version : A/V Help...

mcan
09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Problem: I'm recording Chiefs games in High Def now (instead of on VHS, like the old days). I did DVDs for the last two years, but they aren't the quality that I would like and take forever to make on my stand alone DVR/DVD burner. I'm ditching that POS and trying to get this stuff onto my PC.

So, I have a COX Motorola high definintion DVR with the game on it. Unfortunately, the USB and firewire ports aren't active on the unit, so I have to buy some kind of converter to get into my computer. I went to Best Buy and got a "Dazzle" device that takes the S-Video feed and sends it out USB2.0

I'm trying to.

1. Get that game onto my computer in the BEST possible quality (probably AVI), but the "Dazzle" capture device I bought compresses the massive high def file down to a 3.4 gig MPEG2 file (which is fuzzy as hell and creates fuzzy, unwatchable DVDs).

2. Hopefully if I can find a way to create an AVI file and get that game onto my computer uncompressed, I can edit out commercials and compress the file down to 8.5 gigs and put it on a Dual Layer DVD.

Does anybody know of any hardware device that will except a component or an HDMI signal and send it USB? Does anybody capture High Def video? How the hell do you do it? I'm seriously pulling my hair out here.

Thanks in advance to any and all who reply with something helpfull. ~~Matt.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I believe there's a way to pull the files directly off the drive in the DVR. You have to open up the box, and you've got to know some Linux, but it can be done IIRC. Google around for it, I can't remember the name of the forum where I saw the procedure.

NUMBER7
09-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Problem: I'm recording Chiefs games in High Def now (instead of on VHS, like the old days). I did DVDs for the last two years, but they aren't the quality that I would like and take forever to make on my stand alone DVR/DVD burner. I'm ditching that POS and trying to get this stuff onto my PC.

So, I have a COX Motorola high definintion DVR with the game on it. Unfortunately, the USB and firewire ports aren't active on the unit, so I have to buy some kind of converter to get into my computer. I went to Best Buy and got a "Dazzle" device that takes the S-Video feed and sends it out USB2.0

I'm trying to.

1. Get that game onto my computer in the BEST possible quality (probably AVI), but the "Dazzle" capture device I bought compresses the massive high def file down to a 3.4 gig MPEG2 file (which is fuzzy as hell and creates fuzzy, unwatchable DVDs).

2. Hopefully if I can find a way to create an AVI file and get that game onto my computer uncompressed, I can edit out commercials and compress the file down to 8.5 gigs and put it on a Dual Layer DVD.

Does anybody know of any hardware device that will except a component or an HDMI signal and send it USB? Does anybody capture High Def video? How the hell do you do it? I'm seriously pulling my hair out here.

Thanks in advance to any and all who reply with something helpfull. ~~Matt.

Check out videohelp.com for possible answers on the HDMI to USB

Also I use a Fusion USB Gold capture device. I then process the video with VideoRedo to edit the commercials; I produce the final product with HDTV2DVD.

http://www.svcd2dvd.com/HDTV2DVD/

mcan
09-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I believe there's a way to pull the files directly off the drive in the DVR. You have to open up the box, and you've got to know some Linux, but it can be done IIRC. Google around for it, I can't remember the name of the forum where I saw the procedure.

I have checked out a couple forums that talked about activating the firewire port and tried that method, but I didn't get it to work at all. I haven't seen the "open the box" method.

mcan
09-15-2007, 04:23 PM

Also I use a Fusion USB Gold capture device. I then process the video with VideoRedo to edit the commercials; I produce the final product with HDTV2DVD.

I appreciate the info. I'm off to do some research I guess.

What do you think of the Fusion unit that you have?

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I have checked out a couple forums that talked about activating the firewire port and tried that method, but I didn't get it to work at all. I haven't seen the "open the box" method.IIRC you need a PC that's running Linux (can be from a "live" CD/DVD). You plug the DVR drive in and boot the system, then mount the drive and browse to the directory where the saved video is. You can then copy off the saved files and put the DVR drive back into the DVR. Then you can process the files you copied.

That's the rough idea. Try looking in tivocommunity.com. If you search around in there I think you'll find the procedure. It should work the same way (your DVR and a TiVO), they're all basically the same thing.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I have checked out a couple forums that talked about activating the firewire port and tried that method, but I didn't get it to work at all. I haven't seen the "open the box" method.You could activate the USB ports on the Series 2 TiVO in a similar manner...you pulled the drive from the TiVO and booted into Linux, then edited certain files to turn on the USB. I suspect your 1394 ports would be activated in a similar manner.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Read this:
http://lyberty.com/mediatech/projects/dishrip.html

It's focused on DishTV DVRs, but it should get you going in the right direction.

NUMBER7
09-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I appreciate the info. I'm off to do some research I guess.

What do you think of the Fusion unit that you have?

I really like it. It provides excellent quality captures. I use a Terk Antenna with it and I receive all the local stations. I also am able to capture analog satellite via s-video. I also carry an extra unit with me on the road to capture games when I am out of town. Here is the link to the Fusion.

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/

TurdFerguson
09-15-2007, 04:56 PM

This is the best quality way I've ever heard of convert from a set top converter to a CPU (HDMI to USB). I wouldn't suggest opening the DVR if you don't own it...those cost a pretty penny (around $600) if you bust it up because you don't know what you are doing.

mcan
09-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Read this:
http://lyberty.com/mediatech/projects/dishrip.html

It's focused on DishTV DVRs, but it should get you going in the right direction.

As much as I'd LOVE to be able to just copy and paste the recorded shows over to my computer, I pretty much KNOW that I would F__k this process up. I appreciate the help, but this might be too involved.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 05:25 PM
As much as I'd LOVE to be able to just copy and paste the recorded shows over to my computer, I pretty much KNOW that I would F__k this process up. I appreciate the help, but this might be too involved.I've cracked open TiVOs before to do capacity upgrades and such...it's really pretty easy. But I'm an IT geek, so maybe I just think it's easy.

Honestly, I don't think you'd have much trouble, but if you've found another way go for it.

mcan
09-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I really like it. It provides excellent quality captures. I use a Terk Antenna with it and I receive all the local stations. I also am able to capture analog satellite via s-video. I also carry an extra unit with me on the road to capture games when I am out of town. Here is the link to the Fusion.

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/

I'm just beside myself. I don't really want to get ANOTHER recording device, nor do I want to depend on over the air signal to get the source material. I already have a set top box that records. I just need a way to get it from my DVR (composite, S-Video, component, HDMI) to my computer (USB). The unit I have compresses too much and Pinnacle won't let me just save in AVI. I can get AVI with Nero, but it crashes and doesn't have audio. I assume that's Pinnacle's way of making sure that you ONLY use their product. :banghead:

NUMBER7
09-15-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm just beside myself. I don't really want to get ANOTHER recording device, nor do I want to depend on over the air signal to get the source material. I already have a set top box that records. I just need a way to get it from my DVR (composite, S-Video, component, HDMI) to my computer (USB). The unit I have compresses too much and Pinnacle won't let me just save in AVI. I can get AVI with Nero, but it crashes and doesn't have audio. I assume that's Pinnacle's way of making sure that you ONLY use their product. :banghead:

Just read this...might be an option to get the file from your DVR.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/115294.html

from post.
I have ivo and it is easy, connect a wireless to your home network via the usb port on back of tivo. You can then send anything you record to your hard drive. But you have to use the tivo software. Tivo records in .tivo so you cannot burn it to dvd until you buy some sonic software. but can be done very nicely for under 100 dollars. I personally prefer to record directly to my dvd recorder.

mcan
09-15-2007, 05:51 PM
I've cracked open TiVOs before to do capacity upgrades and such...it's really pretty easy. But I'm an IT geek, so maybe I just think it's easy.

Honestly, I don't think you'd have much trouble, but if you've found another way go for it.

I really do appreciate it, and wish I was smarter about doing that sort of thing. Seems like a major surgery solution to a problem that you would think could be solved with Advil... Damn all this nonsense. It makes me want to go back to VHS.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm just beside myself. I don't really want to get ANOTHER recording device, nor do I want to depend on over the air signal to get the source material. I already have a set top box that records. I just need a way to get it from my DVR (composite, S-Video, component, HDMI) to my computer (USB). The unit I have compresses too much and Pinnacle won't let me just save in AVI. I can get AVI with Nero, but it crashes and doesn't have audio. I assume that's Pinnacle's way of making sure that you ONLY use their product. :banghead:mcan...while searching, I came across a board/thread that stated that cable companies must give you a box with a "live" 1394 port if you request it. Maybe that's an option. I think you'll still have problems exporting the content in a digital format via the GUI, but maybe it would give you another path into the DVR's file system.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:19 PM
BTW...who is your cable provider and what kind of DVR do you have?

mcan
09-15-2007, 06:32 PM
BTW...who is your cable provider and what kind of DVR do you have?

I have Cox Communications, and they have "leased" me a Motorola DCT6416 III. It's a decent DVR. I'm sitting here next to it, and trying to get the firewire to work by following

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

These directions. But it's not really going very well. If it's true that they are legally obligated to activate that firewire port, then I suppose that would be an option. The thing is, for a second that firewire connection came on and the found new hardware wizard came up. But it just as quickly dissapeared. I'm terrible at this stuff.

jidar
09-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I think you're going about it the wrong way.
Instead of looking for something that can take the HD signal and convert it to something you can input on your USB what you should be doing is looking for a HDTV capture card for your PC so you take the HD out from your cable box and input it directly into your computer via SVideo or HDMI or something.
You should research the card a bit to make sure it allows you to actually capture the signal to mpg or avi somehow as well, I know content providers are trying to make sure you can't do this sort of thing.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:35 PM
So the wizard came up and then disappeared? With the cable plugged in, do you have any firewire entries in Device Manager?

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:39 PM
You do realize that guide is for the 6412 and you're using a 6416, right? That's going to be a problem if the firewire chipset is different. You won't have the right drivers.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:41 PM
PS - if you're using XP, be absolutely sure you've turned off the firewall for the 1394 port. That could be causing you problems if it's not disabled.

mcan
09-15-2007, 06:42 PM
So the wizard came up and then disappeared? With the cable plugged in, do you have any firewire entries in Device Manager?

I actually had done this a month or so ago and had "disabled" the three entries in the device manager (for whatever reason).... So, I saw them in there and "enabled" them, and the add new hardware wizard came up. I clicked to close those down and start up the DVR program and when I went back to device manager all of the AV/C references in Device Manager were gone, and they are not there anymore. I've tried unplugging and plugging back in several times, but it's a damned mystery.

mcan
09-15-2007, 06:46 PM
PS - if you're using XP, be absolutely sure you've turned off the firewall for the 1394 port. That could be causing you problems if it's not disabled.

I'm pretty sure the firewall has been disabled all together for my computer. I'm wide open for attacks!

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Mcan...are you looking just for DVD-resolution copies of the games? This is what I've been doing this year. Here's a sample:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1130/samplezv4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder in an old PC. It plugs into the back of my Tivo through an S-video cable. It captures at 720x480, and then I resize to 720x400 to correct the aspect ratio.

One game file is about 100 GB. I cut out the commercials and halftime and encode to H264 AVI, which takes about 4-5 hours, and I get about a 4 GB file out of it.

You'll need a different card if you want to capture in HD resolutions (DVD is plenty for me, it's downsized from an HD source though so it's still in widescreen obviously), but the file is gonna be HUGE.

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 06:49 PM
One other note...the same card also captures the audio. Red/White plugs into the extra output in the back of the Tivo.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Read these threads, they may help:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3818890#post3818890
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=5315313#post5315313

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I actually had done this a month or so ago and had "disabled" the three entries in the device manager (for whatever reason).... So, I saw them in there and "enabled" them, and the add new hardware wizard came up. I clicked to close those down and start up the DVR program and when I went back to device manager all of the AV/C references in Device Manager were gone, and they are not there anymore. I've tried unplugging and plugging back in several times, but it's a damned mystery.In Device Manager, go to the "View" drop-down and choose "View Hidden Devices". That may bring them back. If it does, try reinstalling the drivers by hand (i.e. right-click on the device, choose update driver and navigate to the driver files manually).

mcan
09-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Mcan...are you looking just for DVD-resolution copies of the games? This is what I've been doing this year. Here's a sample:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1130/samplezv4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder in an old PC. It plugs into the back of my Tivo through an S-video cable. It captures at 720x480, and then I resize to 720x400 to correct the aspect ratio.

One game file is about 100 GB. I cut out the commercials and halftime and encode to H264 AVI, which takes about 4-5 hours, and I get about a 4 GB file out of it.

You'll need a different card if you want to capture in HD resolutions (DVD is plenty for me, it's downsized from an HD source though so it's still in widescreen obviously), but the file is gonna be HUGE.

Dude, I'm trying to do exactly what you are doing, except get that huge AVI file compressed to 8.5Gig MPeg2 and burn to a dual layer disc. What software are using to edit/compress?

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Dude, I'm trying to do exactly what you are doing, except get that huge AVI file compressed to 8.5Gig MPeg2 and burn to a dual layer disc. What software are using to edit/compress?

Hmmm...I dunno about MPEG-2, as I convert to AVI. However, you could easily take that AVI file and convert it to DVD format if you wanted a playable DVD of the game.

I take the raw video the card captures and convert it to AVI with Virtualdubmod. It allows me to deinterlace, crop/resize and mess with the the brightness/contrast. It also has a built in audio editor so I can convert the uncompressed audio to mp3.

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

It's a little bit complicated, but I figured it out pretty quickly (mostly with DRU's help).

For burning DVDs, I use NeroVision Express, which isn't free, but can be obtained for free, if you know what I mean. :)

You need any help with this stuff just come get me on AIM.

ALTERNATELY....you could just download the game I put up every week...though I don't plan to upload games we lose, just highlights. As I did last week: Chiefs/Texans Highlights (http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Highlights%20-%20Chiefs%20@%20Texans.rar)

mcan
09-15-2007, 06:59 PM
In Device Manager, go to the "View" drop-down and choose "View Hidden Devices". That may bring them back. If it does, try reinstalling the drivers by hand (i.e. right-click on the device, choose update driver and navigate to the driver files manually).

No dice there. I think that either my computer or my DVRs firewire is dodgy.

TN_Chief
09-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Sounds like it. Try using different firewire ports in the DVR and your PC.

mcan
09-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Hmmm...I dunno about MPEG-2, as I convert to AVI. However, you could easily take that AVI file and convert it to DVD format if you wanted a playable DVD of the game.

I take the raw video the card captures and convert it to AVI with Virtualdubmod. It allows me to deinterlace, crop/resize and mess with the the brightness/contrast. It also has a built in audio editor so I can convert the uncompressed audio to mp3.

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

It's a little bit complicated, but I figured it out pretty quickly (mostly with DRU's help).

For burning DVDs, I use NeroVision Express, which isn't free, but can be obtained for free, if you know what I mean. :)

You need any help with this stuff just come get me on AIM.

ALTERNATELY....you could just download the game I put up every week...though I don't plan to upload games we lose, just highlights. As I did last week: Chiefs/Texans Highlights (http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Highlights%20-%20Chiefs%20@%20Texans.rar)

I'm a bit rediculous about getting every game. I do appreciate it though. You really put up a 4 gig file? That's pretty nuts. Have you tried to burn your finished product to DVD? Do you get any blocks and digital noise during motion? My old DVDs were OK, but I was hoping to really up the ante this year and get 8.5 gig DVDs made.

As for the 1394 port, i've got it show up again. I just have to jam that cable in there as hard as I can and hold it. But I still can't get the drivers installed right... I figure I might be at an impasse.

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 07:24 PM
You really put up a 4 gig file? That's pretty nuts.

That's what DRU did last year. I'm a stickler for quality so I don't mind sharing. I think I'm gonna put up a low quality version for folks that want it, too.

Have you tried to burn your finished product to DVD? Do you get any blocks and digital noise during motion?

I haven't tried, but I oughta. Nice thing is, nowadays you can get DVD players that will play AVI files. Heck, my cousin has one with a USB port. Just stick in a memory stick and it'll play the AVI right off the stick.

Check and see if your DVD player will play AVIs. If so, no reason to convert to MPEG-2.

mcan
09-15-2007, 07:46 PM
That's what DRU did last year. I'm a stickler for quality so I don't mind sharing. I think I'm gonna put up a low quality version for folks that want it, too.

I haven't tried, but I oughta. Nice thing is, nowadays you can get DVD players that will play AVI files. Heck, my cousin has one with a USB port. Just stick in a memory stick and it'll play the AVI right off the stick.

Check and see if your DVD player will play AVIs. If so, no reason to convert to MPEG-2.

I'd really love it if I could get this dazzle thing to work the way your S-Video input is working on your card. I'm going to try VirtualDub instead of Pinnical's craptastic stuff. Maybe I'll get lucky. In the meantime, thanks for everybody's help. I might pop back onto this thread at somepoint and ask about again.

BTW Clayton, did you get any use out of those DVD I sent? I realize they aren't near the quality of the stuff you're doing now, but it really was the MAXIMUM that I could get out of that Panasonic DVR/burner.

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 07:48 PM
BTW Clayton, did you get any use out of those DVD I sent? I realize they aren't near the quality of the stuff you're doing now, but it really was the MAXIMUM that I could get out of that Panasonic DVR/burner.

They were slightly better than what I already had. I thought they were gonna be widescreen....still looking for that Ravens game in HD. :(

mcan
09-15-2007, 08:04 PM
They were slightly better than what I already had. I thought they were gonna be widescreen....still looking for that Ravens game in HD. :(

Sorry about that. This is my first year with HD. But even this year, I wouldn't get any NFL Network games in HD because Cox doesn't carry 'em. Bastages. So now I'm wondering if the ATI card is going to be any better than my Dazzle box.

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Sorry about that. This is my first year with HD. But even this year, I wouldn't get any NFL Network games in HD because Cox doesn't carry 'em. Bastages. So now I'm wondering if the ATI card is going to be any better than my Dazzle box.

Why wouldn't it be? I guess I'm confused.

mcan
09-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Why wouldn't it be? I guess I'm confused.

Your card uses SVideo, and so does my Dazzle device. No reason to believe that your card is doing that compression, its just the pessimist in me. Hours of futile video capture and hundreds of dollars wasted can do that to a guy... I just dread getting one of those cards and realizing that its doing the same thing as my Dazzle and that the only thing you're doing different is saving to a large file format and I'm saving to MPEG2, but once it's on DVD they will look the same.

Douche Baggins
09-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Your card uses SVideo, and so does my Dazzle device. No reason to believe that your card is doing that compression, its just the pessimist in me. Hours of futile video capture and hundreds of dollars wasted can do that to a guy... I just dread getting one of those cards and realizing that its doing the same thing as my Dazzle and that the only thing you're doing different is saving to a large file format and I'm saving to MPEG2, but once it's on DVD they will look the same.

My card compresses on the fly to HUFFYUV...It looks almost exactly the same as it does in that screencap...it's just stretched vertically to 720x480 and there's interlacing.