PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Chiefs need to rattle Grossman

C-Mac
09-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Whitlock: Chiefs need to rattle Grossman
When I campaigned for the Chiefs to sign Ty Law, it was for games like today.

Ty Law vs. Rex Grossman is a total mismatch.

Seriously, Law has put together a Hall of Fame career by baiting quarterbacks into foolish throws. Heís owned Peyton Manning in the postseason, and Manning is quite possibly the smartest QB ever to play the game.

Law has done it because when heís mentally locked in, his football instincts are the equal of Manningís. There are few cornerbacks you can say that about. But itís true about Law. Heís never been the fastest or quickest corner to play the game. Law has picked off 50 regular-season passes because he gets inside the head of the opposing quarterback.

Thereís a lot of room inside Rex Grossmanís head.

If the Chiefs have any chance of winning today against the heavily favored Chicago Bears, Ty Law, Patrick Surtain, Benny Sapp, Jarrad Page, Bernard Pollard (and linebacker Donnie Edwards) need to produce at least two Grossman interceptions.

Kansas Cityís secondary is supposed to be the strength of the defense. Law and Surtain have Pro Bowl rťsumťs. Surtain has a huge contract. Page and Pollard are billed as future Pro Bowlers. KCís secondary unit is matched against the Bearsí weak link, quarterback Rex Grossman.

I expect Law to deliver. Heís the only Chiefs player (besides maybe Donnie Edwards) who has delivered consistently in big games. Kansas Cityís season is pretty much on the line today. Yes, teams have recovered from 0-2 starts.

But the Chiefs donít strike me as the kind of team that will get markedly better late in the season. They donít have a young quarterback or a young offensive line that is waiting to jell. What we see today is pretty much what weíre going to see all season from the Chiefs, even when Jared Allen returns from suspension.

My expectations are low for Kansas Cityís offense all season and especially today. The Bears held San Diego and LaDainian Tomlinson to 14 points a week ago. Tomlinson, the gameís best back, rushed for just 25 yards. And the game was in San Diego.

Today, inside Soldier Field, with the defending NFC champion Bears trying to avoid an 0-2 start, I donít see Brian Urlacher and Co. allowing Larry Johnson and Damon Huard to control the clock.

This should be a defensive struggle Ö as long as Chicago return man Devin Hester doesnít run wild. We know the Bears have a great defense. The question is whether the Chiefs have a good defense.

Herm Edwards came here promising to build a great defense. Today will be a good test of whether heís making any progress. Honestly, I have my doubts.

Ty Law can only do so much. Without a pass rush, Hermís Cover 2 scheme falls apart. If the Chiefs canít stop the run, Hermís Cover 2 scheme falls apart. KCís pass-rush problems wonít be fixed until Allen enters the lineup.

KCís run defense will remain suspect as long as Page and Pollard remain suspect. Iím not prepared to write off the two second-year safeties, but they have not tackled as well as I expected. Page, in particular, missed tackles throughout the preseason.

Pollard and Law made an adjustment in coverage last week against Houston that allowed Andre Johnson to streak 77 yards downfield with a touchdown. Pollard is not a coverage safety. He should be a bruising intimidator, a poor manís John Lynch. Right now, Pollard looks like a linebacker trying to play safety.

Well, weíll find out today. There will be plenty of opportunities for Pollard and Page to make plays in the running game and in the passing game. If Kansas Cityís secondary comes up empty, itís a terrible sign for this season and next season.

RustShack
09-15-2007, 11:14 PM
CHIEFS WILL WIN THE GAME!!!

dj56dt58
09-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Same shit different Sunday

Mecca
I don't think this game is going to be fun to watch, unless you're a bears fan.

Douche Baggins
We're not going to get pressure on Grossman. Forget it. Houston has an average offensive line and Schaub had plenty of time.

Direckshun
Great article.

Clearly forcing Gross, Man into a bad game is the solution.

We've got the tools on defense. This game is not out of reach.

I just don't expect our offense can score a single point unless the defense can create it for them.

Deberg_1990
09-15-2007, 11:23 PM
I envision a "Career Day" for either Grossman or Cedric Benson.

Mecca
09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Is the career day defense back?

Direckshun
09-15-2007, 11:30 PM
We cry about how awful the defense looked against Houston, but they allowed 13 points. That's a good showing.

Granted it was against a week offense, but let's stop pretending like the week 1 defense looked awful.

Thig Lyfe
09-15-2007, 11:37 PM
We cry about how awful the defense looked against Houston, but they allowed 13 points. That's a good showing.

Granted it was against a week offense, but let's stop pretending like the week 1 defense looked awful.

We do? I thought the general consensus was that the defense was mostly pretty satisfactory, save for that big Andre Johnson TD.

Psyko Tek
09-15-2007, 11:45 PM

no, I think this one may actually be good...
someday

Direckshun
09-15-2007, 11:51 PM
We do? I thought the general consensus was that the defense was mostly pretty satisfactory, save for that big Andre Johnson TD.
The thread was snowballing in that direction.

tk13
09-15-2007, 11:56 PM
I think our defense will be fine. It's the offense putting the defense in bad positions that worries me.

Calcountry
09-16-2007, 12:45 AM
I think our defense will be fine. It's the offense putting the defense in bad positions that worries me.It was just two years ago, that that observation was reversed. Amazing.

CupidStunt
09-16-2007, 05:25 AM

They were pretty solid for the most part, and Houston's offense is going to surprise this year. They'll be solid.

Run defense was spotty but mostly good. Pass defense was spotty, too, and showed good flashes but allowed too many big plays and key conversions. We need to play a little tighter, get better help over the top and GET AFTER THE QB.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Not quite that bad....its just the Chiefs luck, that Grossman or Benson would pick today to make a statement game for themselves to answer their critics.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2007, 07:42 AM

Not quite that bad....its just the Chiefs luck, that Grossman or Benson would pick today to make a statement game for themselves to answer their critics.

TEX
09-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Herm Edwards came here promising to build a great defense. Today will be a good test of whether heís making any progress. Honestly, I have my doubts.

Me too. The guy's all TALK.