PDA

View Full Version : ADAM TEICHER: Chiefs defense: We're close to the Bears

Tribal Warfare
09-16-2007, 06:46 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/277189.html

Chiefs defense: We're close to the Bears
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Herm Edwards will see the vision he has for his team today at Soldier Field. He will see a defense that routinely strangles opponents, special teams that routinely score points and an offense that’s along for the ride.

That doesn’t describe the Chiefs, of course, but today’s opponent, the Chicago Bears.

The Chiefs are desperate to get where the Bears are today. Their offense might fit into Edwards’ vision already, but the defense and special teams are still works in progress.

But they’re trying, particularly on defense. Of the approximately 17 players who will get significant playing time today, only Jimmy Wilkerson, Derrick Johnson, Patrick Surtain and Greg Wesley were with the Chiefs before Edwards arrived last year as coach.

While Edwards and the Chiefs aren’t disappointed in a defense that allowed only 13 points last week in Houston — the Texans scored a defensive touchdown — neither are they overly pleased.

The Chiefs yielded a 77-yard touchdown pass that broke the game open and a 10½-minute drive in the second half that eliminated any realistic chance of a rally.

“Our first year, we struggled a little bit,” Bears coach Lovie Smith said. “It takes a while to get your type of player at the different positions. It’s not like Kansas City doesn’t play good defense.

“They’re aggressive and creating turnovers. I don’t know exactly what stage they’re in with their program. I just know it takes time to build your team the way it wants to be. This is our fourth year here, and we’re still trying to get it exactly right.”

The Bears, the defending NFC champions, are obviously doing something right. The Chiefs are doing few things right offensively and fumbled away a punt return that the Texans turned into their first points.

So they need their defense to be what they hoped, particularly against the Bears, who don’t figure to yield much to the Chiefs offense.

“We can’t allow drives like we did last week,” Surtain said. “Our offense finally had some momentum and needed the ball back so we could get back in the game, and we let them go on a 10-minute drive. Great defenses don’t allow drives like that at that point in the game.”

Comparisons between Edwards’ Chiefs and Smith’s Bears might not be fair. The Chiefs were built with a decidedly offensive flavor under the previous head coach, Dick Vermeil. Edwards was hired with the understanding that some rebuilding would be necessary.

The Chiefs imported most of their significant defensive players in the last two years. The list includes linemen Tamba Hali, Alfonso Boone and Ron Edwards; linebackers Donnie Edwards and Napoleon Harris; cornerback Ty Law; and safeties Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard.

The Chiefs believe that many of the pieces for a dominant defense are in place, mainly Hali, Jared Allen, their linebackers and safeties. They remain hopeful that rookie defensive linemen Tank Tyler and Turk McBride can become high-quality players.

They would prefer younger, faster cornerbacks to Law and Surtain.

“You can’t get it all done at one time,” Herm Edwards said. “It’s a culture. You build that within your team. You build that with the guys you draft. They have to understand that this is the way we’re going to play. We’re still fitting guys into our system.”

Smith joined the Bears in 2004. He not only has a two-year jump on Edwards, but the previous Bears coach, Dick Jauron, also was a defensive coach.

So many of the Bears’ important defensive pieces, including linebackers Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs and cornerback Charles Tillman, were already in place when Smith arrived.

“We’re real close to being what those guys are,” Surtain said. “Those guys have been together for a while, longer than we’ve been together. They have a jump on us. We’ve got some new guys we’re trying to work in.

“We’re obviously not there yet.”

That’s why the Chiefs will be more than a little envious as they watch their counterparts today.

“Everybody wants to play defense like that,” Pollard said. “I don’t feel like their players are better than ours. We should be able to hold it down for our offense and make sure we give them good field position by taking the ball away. We’ve got to be a stout defense.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears’ Tait finally gets to face Chiefs
Bears left tackle John Tait, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick in 1999 and a four-year starter before signing with Chicago as an unrestricted free agent in 2004, will face his former team for the first time on Sunday.

But he’s not feeling many pangs of sentimentality.

“There are just a couple of guys who are still on the team,” Tait said of the Chiefs. “There’s been a lot of turnover. If it had been the very next year after I left, I think it would be different. This is my fourth year in Chicago.”

Tribal Warfare
09-16-2007, 06:50 AM
I laughed my ass off when I read the title of this story

the Talking Can
09-16-2007, 06:51 AM
neat, an article about the "strength" of our team where the coaches and players openly acknowledge their inferiority to the Bears...I can only image the confidence our offense has...

Bwana
09-16-2007, 07:08 AM
If by close, he is talking about the short one hour flight, I would agree. ti would be nice if they could figure out a way to win this one, but I think it's going to be a long day.

NUMBER7
09-16-2007, 07:13 AM
If by close, he is talking about the short one hour flight, I would agree. ti would be nice if they could figure out a way to win this one, but I think it's going to be a long day.

ROFLROFL

blueballs
09-16-2007, 07:15 AM
everyone is yelling defense
you just know the score could be 34-31

blueballs
09-16-2007, 07:18 AM
people keep talking defense
now the score will be 34-31
it happens often enough that way

blueballs
09-16-2007, 07:20 AM
people keep talking defense
now the score will be 34-31
wouldn't be the first time shit like that happened

banyon
09-16-2007, 07:27 AM
I didn't realize Pat Surtain smoked the crack rock.

TEX
09-16-2007, 07:59 AM
And even with that dominent defense, the Bears tried to model thier offense around ours a couple of seasons ago. Instead, we have theirs now. :hmmm:

TEX
09-16-2007, 08:01 AM
And even with that dominent defense, the Bears tried to model thier offense around ours a couple of seasons ago. Instead, we have theirs now. :hmmm:

TEX
09-16-2007, 08:02 AM
And even with that dominent defense, the Bears tried to model thier offense around ours a couple of seasons ago. Instead, we have theirs now.

Crashride
09-16-2007, 08:08 AM
"Their offense might fit into Edwards’ vision already, but the defense and special teams are still works in progress."

The comment about the offense scares me

Mr. Laz
09-16-2007, 09:59 AM
“We’re real close to being what those guys are,” Surtain said. “Those guys have been together for a while, longer than we’ve been together. They have a jump on us. We’ve got some new guys we’re trying to work in.

“We’re obviously not there yet.”
wow ..... gotta love Surtain's attitude.

he's nuts ...... but gotta luv it ROFL

blueballs
09-16-2007, 10:22 AM
game day server issues early

SNR
09-16-2007, 10:22 AM
“There are just a couple of guys who are still on the team,” Tait said of the Chiefs. “There’s been a lot of turnover. If it had been the very next year after I left, I think it would be different. This is my fourth year in Chicago.”

Translation: Boy, I'm ****ing glad I'm not playing for those losers in Kansas City any more.