PDA

View Full Version : What movie is/was the biggest bust of all time...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-26-2001, 12:28 AM
or to come? Pearl Harbor got me thinking, what movie (IYOs) was the biggest bust? You thought it was going to be great, but...nope! Theres probably alot, but any inparticular that got your hopes up and then...splat!:( suck a$$ movie.

One that comes to my mind, is Godzilla, in 98'. That movie sucked so bad, it was all hype and no show, IMO.

CG

just wondering...

ps. my mmday weekend doesn't start til tomorrow:(

Frazod
05-26-2001, 12:35 AM
DUNE :mad: a complete butchery of one of the greatest science fiction novels ever written. A perverse, inexcusable abortion of a film. May David Lynch roast in hell for making it.

The best movie I ever saw in the theater was Glory - a stunning, overwhelming, magnificent and deeply moving film. Dune was anti-Glory - when I left the theater after seeing it, I wanted to throw myself in front of a truck.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-26-2001, 12:37 AM
I forgot to mention that Frazod and his thoughts on Pearl Harbor got me thinking about this subject...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-26-2001, 12:38 AM
Glory was a great movie, IMO too.

Frazod
05-26-2001, 12:41 AM
Glory rocked - my second favorite of all time, behind only Casablanca. Obviously didn't see that one in the theater, though...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-26-2001, 12:48 AM
I've never seen Casablanca, I heard it was pretty good flick.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-26-2001, 12:53 AM
And FTR, the reason Godzilla popped in my head, is because I was really looking forward to the movie! When I was a little kid, I used to love waking up on Saturday mornings and watch Godzilla vs. Mothra or Godzilla vs. King Kong, and etc., so I was hoping it was going to be a great movie, but I was totally disappointed, some people at the theatre I was at, walked out cursing and wanted their money back. This is true.

CG

still pissed at that

keg in kc
05-26-2001, 04:07 AM
I have a hard time picking a bust nowadays because, honestly, I feel disappointed almost every time I leave the theater. Maybe I need to lower my standards or something. Although, I did like Shrek last week, so I don't think it's all me...

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was a real disappointment for me. So was Batman and Robin. That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now, but I'm sure if I put some time into it I could come up with a pretty long list of bombs I suffered through.

Casablanca is a terrific movie, you should see it if you haven't already. It's a pleasure IMHO to see a film where the characters, dialogue and plot are more important than the setting and the effects. Few movies nowadays can do that - we're all about eye candy...

Gaz
05-26-2001, 09:31 AM
The Phantom Menace.

Pointless, sterile, predictable and totally lacking in feeling. A two-hour commercial for action figures and other movie tie-ins. I waited years for Lucas to follow up the Star Wars trilogy and he ripped me off.

There have been other terribly disappointing films, Godzilla, The Avengers, Event Horizon, Highlander 2, The Thin Red Line, The Haunting just to name a few, but The Phantom Menace is the worst of the lot.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wants his money back.

47mack
05-26-2001, 09:42 AM
Jurassic Park 2 and soon to be 3.

Why can't they just leave it after the great first one. Very rarely do you see a good sequel. Much less a 3 or 4.

milkman
05-26-2001, 10:54 AM
I'm sure that I'll be flamed for this opinion, but the movie that I absolutely can not stand is "Gone With the Wind".
That, IMO, is the most over rated, overhyped, suckass movie of all time, followed closely by "The Wizard of Oz".

morphius
05-26-2001, 11:22 AM
Gaz - The biggest problem I had with Episode 1 was that Lucas suddenly felt this stupid urge to add try to force funny and threw in dumb luck. I didn't expect the first one to be a great movie, since basically it is just the history that sets up part 2 and 3, but to break Star Wars tradition of being more serious, more about skill then just lucky, and basically not adding crap fluff charecters who could have been deleted from the movie without changing a damn thing.

Morphius
Thought it had one of the best light saber battles of all time though.

Frazod
05-26-2001, 11:52 AM
Taking a break from cleaning out the storage space :mad: Have I mentioned that moving sucks?

I too detest Gone with the Wind - anyone who thinks it's better than Casablanca is smoking crack. I hated Scarlett :mad: If Rhett had shot her in the face at the end of the movie "Frankly, my dear, you're a f#cking b!tch - BOOM" I would have liked it a lot better. :D

As for Phantom Menace, I liked it overall, but also hated all the cutsy suck-a$$ kiddy characters, particularly JAR JAR :mad:

When Anikan goes over to the dark side, I hope the first thing he does is put a light saber through Jar Jar's head.

Same goes for those damned Ewoks in Return of the Jedi. The best part about the having to re-buy (again) the Star Wars stuff when it eventually comes out of DVD is that I'll be able to instantly skip over the Endor scenes - TEDDY BEARS CAN'T KILL ARMORED STORMTROOPERS! :mad:

Can you tell that cleaning out the storage space has made me a bit cranky? :D

ck_IN
05-26-2001, 12:03 PM
My nominees:

For worst all around: Waterworld. An absurd mishmash of nonsense that could make for a good farce if that was the intention. Please Kevin, <b>STOP</b>.

Most disappointing Titanic. I could literally feel the estrogen ooze from the screen. Used a calamitous historical event as a backdrop for puppy love.

Most overhyped: Phantom Menace. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but it got to the point where I wished the Empire would win just to end the commercialization.

Most disappointing sequel: Star Trek 5 (the one Shatner made) Lame writing. Lame story. And as overblown as Shatner's hair. 'Why would God need a spaceship?' was a good line however.

For those who like Casablanca I'd also recommend 'The Maltese Falcon'. They rank 2 and 1 on my fav movie list.

milkman
05-26-2001, 12:03 PM
I hadn't noticed. I thought you were you're normal sunshiny self!:D

Cormac
05-26-2001, 12:11 PM
ck_IN hit the nail on the head IMO.....Waterworld, hands down is the greatest load of rubbish ever put on the screen. Not to mention the cost of the production, hype etc. That "bungee jump" ending was just icing on the cake. I also remember laughing in disgust at Congo (wasn't expecting it to be good anyway, saw it on a flight). Those men dressed in gorilla suits smoking cigars and parachuting out of a plane was worse than ridiculous.

One of the best movies I have seen recently FWIW was The Contender (on video). Gary Oldman is the best IMO. Anybody else seen it?

HC_Chief
05-26-2001, 12:40 PM
Waterworld has to be the biggest flop of all time.

Godzilla, I'm sure, is close...

The WORST big budget movie I've ever seen: Batman and Robin. OMG, now THAT was <i>beyond</i> crap.

Frazod
05-26-2001, 12:53 PM
Actually, I kind of liked Godzilla. Wouldn't buy it or watch it again, but it was okay for a bargain matinee. Maybe when I saw it I was just in one of my (apparently rare) good moods... :D

HC_Chief
05-26-2001, 01:01 PM
Beyond the FX, it had very little to offer (typical of Emmerich - see: Independence Day and The Patriot)

It's really sad: this guy starts off with Stargate - a very respectable, entertaining and smart SciFi film - then follows with tripe.

I can see Godzilla being a 'guilty pleasure' of sorts - the FX are good, the cinematography is pretty good, watching the isle of Manhattan be destroyed is ALWAYS entertaining, and the creature holds dear to many of us film geeks

aturnis
05-26-2001, 01:13 PM
Episode One........if they would have left out all of the special effects and Jar Jar, I may have liked it. I wish they hadn't inserted computer generated characters, if they had just let people dress up in costumes like they did before, it would have been better. Would you have like Chewbaca if he was a special effect instead of a real man in a costume? I think not.

ps....I like the Ewoks, they were a studly bunch. Wicket is the ****. How can you dis cool looking(more so cute) little bear things that can kick a little ***?;)

Frazod
05-26-2001, 01:20 PM
I admit Godzilla was "guilty pleasure" - good way to describe it. But I really liked Independence Day, enough to buy it on tape and upgrade to DVD. Silly, but way cool. I guess I'm not as offended by sap as you are.

Frazod
05-26-2001, 01:35 PM
I disliked Jar Jar because he was stupid and annoying, not because he was computer generated.

I disliked the Ewoks because they were ridiculous. Originally, Endor was supposed to be populated by Wookies. I can see a Wookie kicking stormtrooper butt, but a three foot teddy bear? Give me a break!

When I go see Star Wars, I want great special effects, cheesy drama, lightsaber duels and sh!t blowing up in space. Not cute, cuddly teddy bear things.

And I'm sorry - if a teddy bear can kill a stormtrooper by throwing a fist-sized rock at his helmet, then its time to put a lightsaber through the armorer's head.

HC_Chief
05-26-2001, 01:38 PM
I see the 'sap': the woefully predictable plotlines and trite dialogue, with the 'sweeping majetic score' and 'grraaaaannd panoramic shots' as pandering in a nasty, subtle tone. They might as well have someone come right out and say: 'You <i>must</i> find this majestic. You <i>must</i> find this touching. You're not smart enough for more subtle methods, so we'll cram it down your throats so we can get the point across clearly to you mindless dolts.' It's heavy-handed work like that which I find detestable... they underestimate their audience(B&B that is). When you couple this with an <i>important</i> subject matter, such as the Japanese attack upon Pearl Harbor, the Battle of Britain, and Doolittle's raid on Tokyo, I am utterly and completely offended.

LOL re: ewoks & stormtrooper helms. WTF good is Stormtrooper armor anyway? If puny teddy bears with sticks and rocks can take them out, then why even wear the crap? ;)

tommykat
05-26-2001, 09:29 PM
Does any one rememberr Excalibur? That sucked eggs.
Cassablanca and the Maltese Flacon are Classics...
I also thought The Green Mile was an excellent movie.

Mosbonian
05-26-2001, 10:09 PM
Sorry all, but the two biggest bust movies of all time are Heavens Gate & Ishtar . Thank goodness I never went to see either at the movies.

Ishtar has to be Dustin Hoffman's worst nightmare.

Mark
:) :p :cool:

Mosbonian
05-26-2001, 10:17 PM
H C:

I read your take on Pearl Harbor and there's no question on your feelings about the movie.

I do have one question though:

When you go to movies like this one, do you really expect anything more than 'eye candy"? And do you expect that there won't be SOME stretching of facts for entertainment value.

When i go to a movie I go for entertainment purposes, not for education. I get my facts from studying history not from movies.

mark

Chiefs Pantalones
05-27-2001, 12:18 AM
One other movie that comes to mind (in the hyped up, bust category) is Starship Troopers. I was expecting that to be pretty good, but it was pathetic, IMO, but it had good eye candy in it, (see: Denise Richards and the special effects:D )

CG

also liked the girls shower scene:D

those were the only good moments in the movie, I was with a date and she didn't like it (hmmm:rolleyes: )

keg in kc
05-27-2001, 01:16 AM
Mark, I'm not HC, but I'll give you my thoughts on your question:

I do expect something more than mere eye candy, and while I certainly expect some license taken on behalf of the writer and/or director, in a film dealing with an actual, well-known, well-documented historical event, I want something that at least remotely resembles the actual event. I want to be entertained as much as the next guy - I certainly don't want or expect a bigscreen textbook - but to see events that I know about in some detail either misrepresented or fluffed-over is not something I'm interested in seeing. I'm there to be entertained, too, and it's just not fun for me to sit through a movie and think "no, no, no! that's not right!"

As for Pearl Harbor, although the historical content of the movie is questionable according to everything I've seen regarding the film, that's not why I won't see it. I refuse to pay 25 dollars for a bad movie (2 tickets and food), and it really looks like a bad movie to me. It looks like something I'd walk out of wishing I'd waited for video or HBO. And that's exactly what I intend to do.

I can't afford to watch every movie, so I have to be selective...

old_geezer
05-27-2001, 07:02 AM
I find myself forgetting movies I don't like rather quickly so details are sketchy but "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" comes to mind as a complete bust. IMO the transformation of Ichabod Crane into a policeman (or was it a lawyer?) was needless and distracting to anyone who was familar to the origional. John Depp and Christina Ricci (sp?) were about as appealing to watch as two flies buzzing over - well, you know. :D

Stryker
05-27-2001, 08:56 AM
1. Blair Witch
2. Episode I Phantom Menace
3. Starship Troopers
4. Blair Witch 2: Book of Dreams

B-U-S-T!

htismaqe
05-27-2001, 09:15 AM
Blair Witch?

I wish I could spend 35 grand to make a bust that made 40 million bucks...

Poor Kevin Costner gets 2 spots in my all-time top 5...

1)Ishtar
2)Waterworld
3)Godzilla
4)The Postman
5)South Park the Movie

47mack
05-27-2001, 09:23 AM
I thought te Postman was below average for Costner, but a pretty good movie.

HC_Chief
05-27-2001, 10:43 AM
South Park, Bigger Longer and Uncut a <i>bust</i>?! That movie made a ton of green and had a song nominated for an Oscar! Critics loved it and so did most audiences. Heck, the DVD and video sales high for it too. :confused:

Kilgor - re-read my posts... said nothing about 'being educated' by films. If a movie is going to be based upon a historic event, and then be marketed as a representation of said event, it should at least be accurate(especially when the general public already knows most of the details).

Thought of another true 'bust': Battlefield Earth

Mosbonian
05-27-2001, 11:28 AM
Movies are WAY TOO expensive to see in Theaters

keg:

I gave up a long time ago expecting Hollywood to even come close to representing history in a factual manner. I can't remember too many movies that TRULY represent things as they were.

As for paying the outrageous prices passed along to the consumer that is why I either see the matinee at $3.50 or go on some tickets I win in local radio promos. Otherwise I wait to see them on PPV or video.

H C:

I didn't say you felt the need to be educated by the films. I just asked if you thought you were going to get anything more than eye candy when you go.

htismaqe
05-27-2001, 11:35 AM
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear...

That was my list of top 5 most-disappointing movies I've ever seen...

South Park was funny for about 15 minutes, after that it was just disgusting...

HC_Chief
05-27-2001, 01:50 PM
Kilgore - ahh... well, I <i>hope</i> for more than eye candy. Plot and dialogue are important - unfortunately, B&B have yet to realize that fact.

htis - you didn't like SP BL&U? Wow... I loved it! :) (saw it twice at the theater and own the DVD)

'To each his own' ;)

AJKCFAN
05-27-2001, 01:56 PM
"Last Action Hero" (Arnold film) was really hyped up and it really blew.

No sequels could be worse than "Police Academy". Original was great (Blue Oyster scene and music will forever be classics), but jeez. Talk about beating dead horse.

It was already mentioned but "Waterworld" was incredibly bad. I paid to see it in the movie, and after an hour of not knowing what the heck was going on, I did the best thing I could and that was sleep through the end.

The Bad Guy
05-27-2001, 02:41 PM
Parker,

I have to disagree about South Park.

That movie was one of the funniest things I've seen in the theaters.

Yes it was vulgar, rude, and pushed the envelope. But that's why I found it so damn hysterical.

How can you not like a movie where they sing about Brian Boitano, have a sexual encounter with Sadaam Husein and Satan, and talk about a severe hatred for Canada?

As you can tell, I was a big fan.

Phobia
05-27-2001, 02:49 PM
Whatever that movie was with Tom Cruise and Nichole Kidman where the whole thing is about a nudist/sex cult. I don't even remember the name but it was a HUGE flop for me. I fell asleep even with naked women all over....

Brock
05-27-2001, 04:43 PM
Kp - "Eyes Wide Shut". The last film directed by Stanley Kubrick. Disappointing, but not that bad.

It appears most of you have forgotten all about "Heaven's Gate". When Kevin Costner was making "Dances with Wolves", Hollywood insiders were jokingly referring to it as "Kevin's Gate", as nobody thought it would fly.

HC_Chief
05-29-2001, 04:58 PM
"Last Action Hero" - man, what a huge flaming pile of disappointment <i>that</i> was!

"Heaven's Gate"? You're right Brock: I do not remember that one at all.

Speaking of Costner(talentless hack IMO) - anyone list "The Postman"? Movie was so bad, it was laughable. :)

Go see Shrek! It's worth the matinee price

Idahojim
05-30-2001, 12:10 PM
Probably showing my age here, but I'd have to put "Cleopatra" in the hunt for biggest flop. And "Heaven's Gate" was so bad it was recalled.

But I still haven't seen anything flop more than the '98 Chiefs.

BIG_DADDY
05-30-2001, 01:12 PM
#1 - Waterworld

BTW, How does a movie that cost 30k to make and brought in millions become a bust?

BIG DADDY

Wishing he had made the original Blair Witch.

Gaz
05-30-2001, 02:10 PM
I liked The Blair Witch Project. Sure, it was annoying and cheesy at times and I really did not care what happened to any of the players, but that final scare was the best I have ever had at a movie.

**********SPOILER ALERT!! **********

I was talking to a friend who said he did not understand what was going on until his wife reminded him about the guy who made the kids face the corner while he killed the others. For me, it was an instant hit of fear. He's in the corner! I was screaming inside my head for what seemed like hours before the lights went out.

That final, delicious scare was worth the hour and a half of drudgery it took to get there. Best screen scare I have ever had.

xoxo~
Gaz
TBWP's only fan.

ExtremeChief
05-30-2001, 02:11 PM
For me Congo was the biggest pile of dog crap I ever saw...I actually walked out of the theatre. I guess I should quit reading books that they may make movies from. Also disappointing in the book/movie catagory was:Cujo...the kid died in the book, but hollywood had to let him live...It was pretty cool until the great beast in the end was shown as a big spider...Can you tell I'm a S. King fan???

I was pleased with The Stand, and The Green Mile...didn't lose much in the book to movie translation.

maybe I should quit reading...

bishop_74
05-30-2001, 02:47 PM
I have to throw my 2 cents worth in here. I noticed a few of you mentioned "I do expect something more than mere eye candy to see."

Why would you EXPECT anything from the entertainment industry? Do you hold them to standards and criteria? They are out to make money. It is a business. These movies have to appeal a lot of people, and not everyone has the same idea about what a "good movie" is. Some people go to the movies to escape, some people go to walk in another persons shoes, some go to learn something. I know my fiance's idea of a good movie is much different than mine. I have just learned to be less objective, and just enjoy the ride. Take it easy, geez. Believe me, Pearl Harbor was not made to honor all of the men and women that died that day. Anyway, hope this helps you enjoy your movie going experience a bit more now.

California Injun
05-30-2001, 03:28 PM
HORRIBLE SEQUELS:

Porky's II

(Anyone remember Beulla Ballbreaker?)

Caddyshack II

(Jackie Mason for Rodney? Puuullleeeezzze!!!!)

Batman Returns

(Devito as the penguin and all those stupid rockets attached to the Penguins in the finale?)

Jurassic II

(As if nobody on that crew noticed a giant Rex hiding out in the hull of that ship. And then you'de figure someone would radio for help when your shipmates were getting picked off)

Saturday Night Fever II

(Travolta must cringe when he sees this. But then he made that disgusting film with Lily Tomlin as his lover that reeked as well)

GOOD SEQUELS:

Terminator II

(I hear there is a Terminator III in the works that will screw this series all to hell)

Airplane II

(Almost topped the original)

The James Bond series until Roger Moore took over

Then they threw in Timothy Dalton, which elevated Roger Moore's reputation immensely.

HC_Chief
05-30-2001, 03:40 PM
Extreme - Another great King adaptation: <u>The Shawshank Redemption</u> ;)
I agree re: <U>Congo</u> - Crichton's book was really enjoyable; the movie was really horrible.

California: I'd like to add a couple more <i>good</i> ones if you don't mind ;) - <u>Aliens</u> (Not nearly as scary as the first one, but Cameron made a Sci-Fi/horror/<i>action</i> masterpiece IMO); <u>The Empire Strikes Back</u> (by FAR, the best of the series); <u>Naked Gun 2 1/2</u> (not that great overall, but the "He thrust his purple-helmeted warrior into her quivering mound of love pudding" line was classic!); <u>The Godfather II</u> (Pacino's greatest work IMO - <u>Dog Day Afternoon</u> running a very close second) :D

ExtremeChief
05-30-2001, 04:14 PM
HC,

I agree on Shawshank Redemption, that was a good flick. I'm kinda hopin they do film with The Regulatiors or Desperation. Those were excellent King works.

I walked out of Congo as soon as I heard a voice coming out of that Tang...man that pissed me off!!!

CalInjun,

I have to add all Lethal Weapon sequels to the Good list. I thought all four of them were good movies.

FWIW, I watched Driven this weekend...while the plot was extremely lame and redundant...I enjoyed the F/X...some awesome wrecks.

HC_Chief
05-30-2001, 04:29 PM
<i>I heard a voice coming out of that </i> - LOL! I totally forgot about that! Yeah, that raised my ire too. In the book, 'Wendy'(?) the female silver back knew limited sign language. The Mensas who produced the crappy film adaptation however, decided to create some lame-*** 'translator' which SPOKE ENGLISH for the <b>gorilla</b>!!!?!

wasn't the FIRST Crichton movie to pretty much suck rox tho; see: <u>The Andromeda Strain</u> (circa 1980s). Of course, that book was kind of lame too - total cop-out ending.

California Injun
05-31-2001, 12:16 AM
Just saw Shrek tonight with my two boys and felt ripped off.

The first 5 minutes was promising when it showed him wiping his butt with a page out of the Fairy Tale book, but it was pretty much downhill after that.

Seems it was more about the computer animation than any real story.

My boys only laughed 4-5 times with most of the inside jokes going over their heads.

IMHO.... wait for the rental.

Mosbonian
05-31-2001, 04:41 PM
Brock:

Re: your post # 39

In my post (#24) I listed Heaven's Gate (Kris Kristofferson in THE worst of all his bad acting roles) as one of the biggest busts.

Didn't it cost something over $100 million dollars to make long before the era of big-money pictures came around?

Mark