PDA

View Full Version : DSL tech question.

BigVE
09-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Lately I have had inconsistent internet connections. I will be on a site and then sometimes when I open a new page or try to refresh the page it's like I lose my connection. I have already called tech support and have a new modem on the way but my question is this: Is there something possibly screwed up in my pc? I have run all the basics like virus scan, adaware and all that and all is ok. Any other ideas or possibilites or is it more than likely just a modem problem? Thanks for your help.

StcChief
09-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Wiring issue from outside house to connector box.

This happened to me losing connections, requested service man validate it. They can trace route thru and determine issue.

Nightwish
09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Lately I have had inconsistent internet connections. I will be on a site and then sometimes when I open a new page or try to refresh the page it's like I lose my connection. I have already called tech support and have a new modem on the way but my question is this: Is there something possibly screwed up in my pc? I have run all the basics like virus scan, adaware and all that and all is ok. Any other ideas or possibilites or is it more than likely just a modem problem? Thanks for your help.
You might want to check your cable lengths. That's sometimes a problem with dsl lines, if you have too long of a line running from your phone jack to your modem, or from your modem to your computer, it'll drop the connection from time to time. Generally, keeping it to seven feet or less between successive points in the wiring scheme is advisable. At least, that's the way it was back when I had dsl. But I've had cable for the past two or three years, so dsl might have corrected that problem in that time.

BigVE
09-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the tips/info guys. I don't know if it's the same thing but Embarq/Sprint did some sort of a line-check and said all appeared to be Ok and fully up to speed. As for the longer or shorter lines...I'm within 4 feet of the phone-jack so that shouldn't be an issue. I was more worried that there may be some weird setting/change in my computer that is interfering with my internet downloads but it's looking more like my modem than anything else. I guess I will see after the new one arrives. thanks again.

Nightwish
09-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the tips/info guys. I don't know if it's the same thing but Embarq/Sprint did some sort of a line-check and said all appeared to be Ok and fully up to speed. As for the longer or shorter lines...I'm within 4 feet of the phone-jack so that shouldn't be an issue. I was more worried that there may be some weird setting/change in my computer that is interfering with my internet downloads but it's looking more like my modem than anything else. I guess I will see after the new one arrives. thanks again.
Yeah, if the line tests showed okay, and you're close to your outlet, I'd bet you've just got a bad modem. Good luck with the new one.