PDA

View Full Version : Are the Chiefs worth the price of NFL Sunday Ticket?

Wallcrawler
09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Ive been a longtime Chiefs fan and this year has been really hard for me because I now live in Salt Lake City Utah, and all the local affiliates follow the f'ing Broncos every week. In order to see the Chiefs, Im going to have to drop some money on Sunday Ticket. However, watching the sports tickers on sundays and seeing the Chiefs only able to muster 13 points in 2 weeks has me trying to figure out if its even worth it to have access to the games if Im going to be too pissed off to watch them all.

I hear good things about Bowe, and the defense seems to be playing half decent. But it really sounds like Herm and Solari have cut the nuts off of this offense.

So from what youve seen so far, do the remaining 14 games of the Chiefs season look to be worth the price of Sunday ticket, or should I simply catch the grim highlights of their failures on Sportscenter after each tragi-comic attempt to field a competetive team every sunday?

Mr. Plow
09-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Only if Croyle is playing....which he isn't. That's a lot of money to spend on watching this team "in action". I have a hard time watching it for free at my house.

Frazod
09-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Honestly, I don't know any more. That shit's just outrageous now, especially with the HD package. And all that money to pay for something that's 50% commercials? Man, what a friggin racket. :shake:

But I've already paid for it. And it is nice to be able to switch between games and watch whatever I want.

Phobia
09-17-2007, 11:15 PM
No. But that's easy for me to say. I live in KC.

Frazod
09-17-2007, 11:19 PM
No. But that's easy for me to say. I live in KC.

If I lived there, I certainly wouldn't have it.

Phobia
09-17-2007, 11:22 PM
I had it last year but it was basically free with a new signup. No way I'd pay for it this year.

BWillie
09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Just get a direct tv receiver and dish. Then find out the dealer number to a local circuit city in your area, call direct tv dealer line with the store # and have them turn it on for you. Then it's free.

Ebolapox
09-17-2007, 11:43 PM
no.

Mecca
09-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Willie has this shit down, he knows how to get laid off the net, how to get free Sunday ticket....this man is a hero to all.

MichaelH
09-18-2007, 03:26 AM
I was going to get it but after week 2 of the preseason, I decided against it.

kcxiv
09-18-2007, 03:33 AM
I live in Cali and i have had sunday ticket since 1998 and this is the first year i wish i didnt have it. I could have spent that money on a ****ing Nintendo Wii or something else. lol

ChiefFan31
09-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Hate to say it, but tough year to shell out the funds just to watch the Chiefs.

If you play FF and really like it, its fun to be able to watch all your guys. I had it in the past and enjoyed Sunday Ticket. Unfortunately, I moved to an apt that does not have the line of sight for D*

I actually got some "bonus" coverage on Sunday when they postponed the game in Denver due to lightening. I got to watch about 5 banks of commercials sandwiched in between Hester's punt return for a TD after a 3 and out by our checkdown offense. :banghead:

TN_Chief
09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Google for SOPcast and "streaming NFL". Save the money, this year's team isn't worth the $$$.

Bob Dole
09-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Bob Dole was wondering whether it was worth it as he sat here watching Carson Palmer instead of the Chiefs for nearly the entire 1st quarter last Sunday.

Skip Towne
09-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Bob Dole was wondering whether it was worth it as he sat here watching Carson Palmer instead of the Chiefs for nearly the entire 1st quarter last Sunday.
I'm not sure it would have mattered in this case. I think we all got treated to the Bungles.

Chief Henry
09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I've got it, wish I didn't have it.
The ___dam Chiefs are like a fricking Drug that I'm trying to wean myself from. Last week I watched
the first three qtrs and then said **** it and went outside to enjoy the nice afternoon.

Is it worth the money ? Not this year thats for dam sure.

cdcox
09-18-2007, 07:31 AM
If you only enjoy the game if they win or are going to get angry if they lose, its probably not worth the money. But I'm glad I have it. I don't expect anything out of this team as long as Herm is at the helm. He is the focus of most of my negativity. If the players screw up I just laugh. If they do something good, great, I'll enjoy that. I'm also enjoying watching some of the new players develop. Hopefully that will include Croyle by the end of the season. It is certainly not as much fun as 2003 or 2005, but it still has its own rewards.

ROYC75
09-18-2007, 07:37 AM
I've got it, wish I didn't have it.
The ___dam Chiefs are like a fricking Drug that I'm trying to wean myself from. Last week I watched
the first three qtrs and then said **** it and went outside to enjoy the nice afternoon.

Is it worth the money ? Not this year thats for dam sure.

Agreed, poor entertainment for the price of the product.

HonestChieffan
09-18-2007, 07:37 AM
spend the money. its worth it

Bwana
09-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Honestly, I don't know any more. That shit's just outrageous now, especially with the HD package. And all that money to pay for something that's 50% commercials? Man, what a friggin racket. :shake:

But I've already paid for it. And it is nice to be able to switch between games and watch whatever I want.

That sounds exactly like my story. I already shelled out the money myself. On a side note, if what happened last Sunday happens again with them failing to swith over for the opening kickoff, I am going to raise a lot of hell about it. I remember that happened twice last year as well.

Skip Towne
09-18-2007, 07:53 AM
That sounds exactly like my story. I already shelled out the money myself. On a side note, if what happened last Sunday happens again with them failing to swith over for the opening kickoff, I am going to raise a lot of hell about it. I remember that happened twice last year as well.
I think CBS makes those decisions. D* can only show what the networks let them.

Bwana
09-18-2007, 07:57 AM
I think CBS makes those decisions. D* can only show what the networks let them.

I have no doubt you're right Skip, but I didn't see anything in the signup sheet that said "we may, or may not bring you all of the game." A person is shelling out a lot of green to be missing part of the first quarter of games.

HemiEd
09-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Well I am having serious second thoughts about the HD package. I thought I had already paid for everything, with the $229. However, when I fired it up about 11:50 last Sunday, for the early games, I didn't have 702, the game mix or the HD package. WTF!!

I called DTV, once I got through to a human being, she said it would be $99 more. I told her to just get the shit turned on, the games were starting. I doubt if enough Chiefs games will be in HD this season to make it worth it, what a rip.

Simplex3
09-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I used to pay for the Sunday ticket, but I haven't for the past two or three years. Too damned expensive. It really sucks that I can't watch the Bucs games, but oh well.

As for DTV: If I tune to the Chiefs game, I better God damn see the Chiefs game. If I wanted to see the end of the f**king Bungles/Browns I'd f**king tune to that, thank you very much.

I think we all realize that all these problems the Sunday Ticket has would stop the day after DTV didn't have a monopoly on it.

TN_Chief
09-18-2007, 08:11 AM
I think CBS makes those decisions. D* can only show what the networks let them.Oddly enough, on 705 (the SD Chiefs v. Bears channel) I too saw the Bengals-Browns...but when I flipped over to the channel carrying the HD broadcast of Chiefs-Bears (I think it was 713, but may have been higher) the Chiefs game was on.

HemiEd
09-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Oddly enough, on 705 (the SD Chiefs v. Bears channel) I too saw the Bengals-Browns...but when I flipped over to the channel carrying the HD broadcast of Chiefs-Bears (I think it was 713, but may have been higher) the Chiefs game was on.

That is another reason that makes the HD package attractive, they don't black them out either.

ROYC75
09-18-2007, 08:16 AM

I called them and raised hell too, she tried to tell me because of the blackout....... I went off telling her that I was no where near the Chicago market and it was a local affiliate thing.

Then I went on a rant and rave about paying for games I don't watch, never intended to watch and the cost that keeps going up when all I wanted to watch was 1 game and only 1 frigging game.

I told her how it was such a ripp off to somebody like me to have to pay for a service I don't get, but also pay for something more than I want, that they should have a single ( team ) game package for the season that was guranteed service. She said, it has been voiced in the past and that is something they are considering in the future.

Somehow, I don't see this happening......

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-18-2007, 08:17 AM
While I'm not crazy about the 2007 edition of the Chiefs, if I could get the damn satellite without having to spend several thousand dollars to trim my trees enough to get the signal, I'd have gotten the dish a LONG time ago.

Even bad Chiefs football is better than NO Chiefs football when you're this far from home.

Skip Towne
09-18-2007, 08:19 AM
I have no doubt you're right Skip, but I didn't see anything in the signup sheet that said "we may, or may not bring you all of the game." A person is shelling out a lot of green to be missing part of the first quarter of games.
I'll bet the disclaimer is in there somewhere. D* are tricky bastards.

Chiefnj2
09-18-2007, 08:22 AM
No, the Chiefs aren't worth the price but the other games you'll be able to watch will make up for it.

Skip Towne
09-18-2007, 08:25 AM
While I'm not crazy about the 2007 edition of the Chiefs, if I could get the damn satellite without having to spend several thousand dollars to trim my trees enough to get the signal, I'd have gotten the dish a LONG time ago.

Even bad Chiefs football is better than NO Chiefs football when you're this far from home.
I can usually find a way to get signal though not always. You can go up to about 150 feet without an amplifier. I try to go out beyond the trees and put the dish on a pole.

Chest Rockwell
09-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Ive been a longtime Chiefs fan and this year has been really hard for me because I now live in Salt Lake City Utah, and all the local affiliates follow the f'ing Broncos every week. In order to see the Chiefs, Im going to have to drop some money on Sunday Ticket. However, watching the sports tickers on sundays and seeing the Chiefs only able to muster 13 points in 2 weeks has me trying to figure out if its even worth it to have access to the games if Im going to be too pissed off to watch them all.

I hear good things about Bowe, and the defense seems to be playing half decent. But it really sounds like Herm and Solari have cut the nuts off of this offense.

So from what youve seen so far, do the remaining 14 games of the Chiefs season look to be worth the price of Sunday ticket, or should I simply catch the grim highlights of their failures on Sportscenter after each tragi-comic attempt to field a competetive team every sunday?

Are you going to go to, say, the Skybox or Iggy's or another bar to watch games if you don't buy the Ticket? I've found it's probably cheaper for me to spend money on ST than to watch 4 games out.

Another consideration is: can you get people over on Sunday to watch other games? Generally, I have about 5-10 people come over, bring me food and beer, and they're welcome to watch whatever they want upstairs on the two smaller TVs while the Chiefs are on. I won't have to buy beer all football season. If you drink beer, you'll be even further ahead if you tell them it has to be from the State Liquor Store...hell, it'd probably actually save you money in the long run.

Bob Dole
09-18-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure it would have mattered in this case. I think we all got treated to the Bungles.

Actually, if it worked the way it should work (watch any game you want every week), DirecTV would be allowed to show the games they are supposed to show, and it wouldn't have been blacked out on Sunday Ticket.

That's how it worked prior to the idiotic blackout rule enforcement, anyway.

meStevo
09-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah it's worth it to pay for it and watch KC play football. I am enjoying seeing them play when I normally wouldn't have or would be trying to listen/watch online which has mixed results.

The key is just not reading this board on a regular basis anymore, too many know-it-all ignorant personalities and whatnot.

runnercyclist
09-18-2007, 10:16 AM

IMHO it is worth it. In addition to keeping in touch with our team (no matter how bad or good), you get to see any game you want.

I love putting up the NFL scoreboard and watching the close games finish live.

Of course, I'm a diehard NFL football fan in addition to a die hard Chiefs fan.

runnercyclist
09-18-2007, 10:21 AM

My HD channels didn't work last week either. Was that nationwide or just a Pittsburgh market feature?

runnercyclist
09-18-2007, 10:26 AM
I've found it's probably cheaper for me to spend money on ST than to watch 4 games out.

Not to mention the risk avoided of driving home after drowning our sorrows of the Chiefs performance in multiple beers!