PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Pizza

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Who makes it?

I need to learn how to make it so we can mix up our usual meals that consist of: Hamburger helper, burritos/tacos, chicken alfredo, tuna helper, mac and cheese/smoked sausage/potatoes. Actually that is all we eat.

Monday: any of the above
Tuesday: nothing (both have class)
Wednesday: any of the above
Thursday: any of the above
Friday: eat out
Saturday: any of the above
Sunday: any of the above

Repeat each week.

We need a new selection of meals. Tonight I have started thawing out hamburger already, so it has to be something with hamburger.

KcMizzou
09-19-2007, 01:52 PM
You can buy the crust and sauce in a kit, and just use whatever toppings you like. It's really easy.

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 01:53 PM
You can buy the crust and sauce in a kit, and just use whatever toppings you like. It's really easy.

Hmmm, what's the best crust and sauce?

The meal has to feed 3 people.

JBucc
09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I used to. I tried all sorts of crusts from boxes and recipes from scratch. None of them tasted bad but honestly they weren't as good as regular pizza from a chain.

ChiefsCountry
Chef Boyordate at the grocery store isnt that bad.

KcMizzou

The meal has to feed 3 people.This is all I've tried. Pretty basic stuff...

Kylo Ren

The meal has to feed 3 people. Boboli crust.

ZepSinger
09-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Every Friday night, Mrs. Z makes homemade pizza. Spelt crust made from scratch, organic mozarella and sharp cheddar cheese, organic pizza sauce, various spices and herbs, and organic shredded chicken breast. It is truly one of the best pizzas I've ever had.

Simply Red
09-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Believe it or not I like making the chief boyardee box kit. I use hamburger, canadian bacon, green pepper and mushrooms. (all on top of the cheese) Also I use beer when mixing the crust instead of water. I cook the hamburger in parm. cheese.

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 01:57 PM
I used to. I tried all sorts of crusts from boxes and recipes from scratch. None of them tasted bad but honestly they weren't as good as regular pizza from a chain.

Yeah, I'd rather eat pizza from a chain but it's probably cheaper just to make it myself.

tooge
09-19-2007, 01:58 PM
those bobali (sp?) doughs are good to start with. Or, if you like your own made thinner, just mix 4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking pwder, and 1 quarter cup sugar. Then do the yeast thing (one packet in warm water with sugar per directions) and add to the dry mix you just made with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and about 2 cups water. Mix well, make into a ball, cover with a towel and place in a cuppard for 1 hour to rise. Then make your crust with it. Put on anything you want. I use ragu sauce, then pepparoni, shrooms, black olives, and lots of cheese. The Boboli crusts (in the store) are quite a bit easier. Either way, bake 400 degrees for about 20 min.

Simply Red
This is all I've tried. Pretty basic stuff...
awesome.

Mr. Flopnuts
If you're thawing out hamburger, make some shit on a shingle. We love it at my house and it's simple. Brown your hamburger, mash some potatos, and add brown gravy. Mix, combine, and serve. It's delicious.

Phobia
This thread was terrible prior to my arrival. I'll be with you folks in a minute.

chasedude

The meal has to feed 3 people.

I like the Mama Mary's already made pizza crusts.
http://www.mamamarys.com/html/recipes/default.asp

The thin crust is nice, if you like that kind.

I usually add some roasted garlic prego spaghetti sauce to it with a sprinkling of Italian seasoning. Add your toppings and bake away.

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Believe it or not I like making the chief boyardee box kit. I use hamburger, canadian bacon, green pepper and mushrooms. (all on top of the cheese) Also I use beer when mixing the crust instead of water. I cook the hamburger in parm. cheese.

I hate green peppers and mushrooms. What's the price on that kit? How long does it cook on a gas stove?

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I like the Mama Mary's already made pizza crusts.
http://www.mamamarys.com/html/recipes/default.asp

The thin crust is nice, if you like that kind.

I usually add some roasted garlic prego spaghetti sauce to it with a sprinkling of Italian seasoning. Add your toppings and bake away.

I wonder what alfredo pizza would taste like. Maybe I could make...well nevermind. I suck at cooking chicken (actually, never tried it) and would have no idea how to cook it in the stove.

cdcox
09-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I make it from scratch once in a while, but it's considerably more work than your current repertoire.

For hamburger, one of my very favorite dishes is Spanish Rice. Approximate recipe from memory:

dice 1 green pepper and 1 med onion. Saute in 1 T of olive oil for 4 min over medium heat. Add 1 lb hamburger and brown over high heat. Drain excess fat. Add 1 can chopped tomatoes (don't drain), 1 cup rice, 1.5 cups water (this is a guess), 1 T Worcestershire sauce, several good dashes of Tabasco, 1.5 t chili powder, and 1 t thyme, salt and pepper. (you my want to adjust the seasonings to taste).

It beats the hell out of HB helper.

Simply Red
09-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I hate green peppers and mushrooms. What's the price on that kit? How long does it cook on a gas stove?
Stove? Longer than an oven and prolly a lot more messy.

Simply Red
09-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Kit is like 3.50 follow box inst. It comes with sauce, crust ingredients and parm cheese.

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Stove? Longer than an oven and prolly a lot more messy.

Oven, up mine.

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Kit is like 3.50 follow box inst. It comes with sauce, crust ingredients and parm cheese.

I'm going to go pick it up then.

I'm feeding three of us, with two eating a lot. Will one box do it or should I buy 2?

tooge
09-19-2007, 02:08 PM
just get on foodtv.com and type in hamburger for a search. You will get about 50 thousand recipes. You could do the same for pizza.

TrebMaxx
09-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Try Betty Crockers Pizza Crust Mix. Just add hot water, mix, at let set for 5 minutes. For the daring, add a splash of red wine with the hot water when mixing - very small amount though maybe a teaspoons worth. Throw on some sauce, I prefer Contadina Pizza Sauce. Add your toppings and cheese. Cook and enjoy.

Simply Red
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm going to go pick it up then.

I'm feeding three of us, with two eating a lot. Will one box do it or should I buy 2?
Buy on small and one large. PM me tonight an I'll help you if you need help. You'll need to keep oil on your hands while working the dough out. KCMizzou will tell you as well. The dough is kind of a pain, but it's worth it. Don't forget the canadian bacon either. Get it sliced fresh it may not be in the display at the grocery but they'll have it if you ask. I'd say an eighth of a pound would/will suffice.

Phobia
09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Go to the dairy case in your grocery store and buy croissant rolls in a tube. Pickup eggs while you're there because you'll need one.

Now think of all your favorite pizza toppings and buy them.

Preheat oven to 350.

Now take the croissant tube and put a layer of dough down on a cookie sheet. Throw your sauce down, toppings, and cover with a generous layer of cheese. This is how you makeathapizza. But I'm going to take you another step. Take the rest of that dough and cover your "pizza" with it. Pinch the edges together to make an "air tight" seal.

Now whip up an egg. Brush egg onto the outside of the crust.

Toss into the oven for 20 minutes or until crust is golden.

Now that's good eats.

jjchieffan
09-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Do you have Papa Murphys there? It is take and bake pizza. It is really good, they have just as many if not more choices than a normal takeout place, but a lot cheaper.

Simply Red
09-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Go to the dairy case in your grocery store and buy croissant rolls in a tube. Pickup eggs while you're there because you'll need one.

Preheat oven to 350.

Now take the croissant tube and put a layer of dough down on a cookie sheet. Throw your sauce down, toppings, and cover with a generous layer of cheese. This is how you makeathapizza. But I'm going to take you another step. Take the rest of that dough and cover your "pizza" with it. Pinch the edges together to make an "air tight" seal.

Now that's good eats.
BS, go my route. :)

Scaga
09-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Yummy....I've been making homemade pizza (and the dough) for about 15 years. Found the receipe on the net several years ago after messing around with the store bought crap forever. For a family of 5, I make two full cookie sheets worth (hey, if you're gonna make all the mess, you might as well have leftovers). What I've found, to do it right, you're going to spend at least as much, if not more, than what it will cost to call the local pizza joint. Mine's better though.

ILikeBigTiddys
**** the kit. Just buy a pre-made crust, boneless chicken breasts, bbq sauce(I like famous daves), shredded cheddar cheese, olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook the chicken (boil, skillet whatever). When its done, put it in a bowl and take a fork to it, basically shred the shit up. Add the bbq sauce, diced onion and minced garlic to the shredded chicken. Mix it up. Put a little olive oil on the top side of crust, add the mixture and then top it off with cheddar cheese. Place the pizza directly on the rack so the crust gets a little crispy otherwise it will be soggy.

Phobia
BS, go my route. :)
With a kit? I've lost all respect for you.

StcChief
09-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Boboli or stop at Sam's/Walmart a get the pre-baked and kick it up

kepp
09-19-2007, 02:23 PM

Preheat oven to 350.

Now that's good eats.
Hmmm...is it supposed to turn out looking like this? I may have messed it up.
http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/space/images/pizzahut.jpg

redbrian
09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Grilled Pizza

This takes a little time, effort and skill, but it’s well worth doing.

If you must you could use a gas grill but you lose out on the smoke flavor.
• Dough
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup water (8 ounces), room temperature
• 2 cups bread flour (11 ounces), plus more for work surface (you can use regular flour)
• 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (optional)
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
• 1 teaspoon instant yeast

Dough

1. FOR THE CRUST: Combine oil and water in liquid measuring cup. In food processor fitted with plastic dough blade or metal blade, process bread flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, and yeast until combined, about 5 seconds. With machine running, slowly add liquid through feed tube; continue to process until dough forms tacky, elastic ball that clears sides of work bowl, about 1 1/2 minutes. If dough ball does not form, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time and process until dough ball forms. Spray medium bowl lightly with nonstick cooking spray or rub lightly with oil. Transfer dough to bowl and press down to flatten surface; cover tightly with plastic wrap and set in draft-free spot until doubled in volume, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

2. When dough has doubled, press down gently to deflate; turn dough out onto work surface and divide into 4 equal-sized pieces. With cupped palm, form each piece into smooth, tight ball. Set dough balls on well-floured work surface. Press dough rounds with hand to flatten; cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Gently stretch dough rounds into disks about 1/2 inch thick and 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Working one piece at a time and keeping the rest covered, roll out each disk to 1/8-inch thickness, 9 to 10 inches in diameter, Dust surface of rolled dough with flour and set aside.

Grill
1. Use lump charcoal and hickory chunks, spread into even layer over three-quarters of grill, leaving one quadrant free of coals. Position cooking grate over coals and heat until grill is medium-hot, about 5 minutes (you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill grate for 4 seconds); scrape grate clean with grill brush, and apply olive oil to grate.

2. Place one or two of your pizza dough on hot side of grill (depending on size of your grill), keep an eye on the dough, once bottom is browned flip over and brown other side. Keep repeating until all you shells are cooked.

Topping
1. Brush 1 or 2 shells with olive oil (again this depends on the size of your grill how many you can cook at a time)

Top with what ever floats your boat here is one example

2. Spread 1 ladle of pizza sauce (either store bought or home made), on shell. Sprinkle cooked Italian sausage and chopped black olives evenly over shell leaving about an1” clear on the side, top with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.

3. Place pizza on cool side of grill and cover with lid, cook about five minutes until cheese is melted.

We do this from time to time and the kids love it, we let them build their own pizza’s.

Just put out a bunch of pizza toppings and let them go.

bkkcoh
09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
we have 16 inch pizza pans, iirc.

I used 2 pizza crust mixes per pan. follow the instructions and then used store brand pizza sauce and then put what ever toppings you want on it.

it tastes pretty good. it is a favorite of my family. Can't wait til it cools off enough to turn the oven on to bake the pizzas.

redbrian
09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Oh and buy a damn cook book, it does not take that much more time or effort to make something worth eating...........I mean damn hamburger helper.......get one of Ms Rays 30 min. cook books and start eating real food.

Simply Red
09-19-2007, 02:32 PM
With a kit? I've lost all respect for you.
It's all in the doctoring up. The crust is good because I use beer. The toppings I use may be the best available. I've had more than one person tell me it's the best they've ever had.

Undertaker #59
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
This is the one I have been doing lately...a Chicago style deep dish:

3½ cups All-purpose flour
1½ cup (scant) Water
½ cup Yellow cornmeal
½ cup Canola oil
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
2¼ teaspoons Active dry yeast

SAUCE INGREDIENTS

VOLUME

3½ cups 6 IN 1 brand crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons 0.5 ounce Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon 0.13 ounce Italian herbs/seasonings

24 Hours Prior to Baking

In a mixing bowl, add the water, sugar, yeast, flour, cornmeal, and salt.

Mix on low speed for a few minutes until the dough comes together, then slowly add the oil. Continue to mix dough for 7 more minutes.

The dough should be somewhat moist and smooth, not sticky, and should weigh about two pounds. Form the dough into a ball and place into a bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and then with a dish towel and place in the refrigerator for an overnight rise.

One Hour Prior to Baking

Remove the bowl from the refrigerator about one hour prior to making the pizza. Set the bottom oven rack to its lowest position and preheat the oven to 450° F for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.

After resting for one hour, the dough is now ready to be placed into the baking pan. Coat the bottom of a well seasoned 15″ × 2″ deep dish pan with regular olive oil (do not use extra virgin). Place the dough ball in the center of the pan and press it out until it covers the entire bottom. Then, using you fingers, pull the dough up the side of the pan.

The edge should be pinched up against the side of the pan. If the dough resists holding shape, cover with a towel and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before trying again.

Using either sliced mozzarella or a blend of sliced mozzarella and provolone, cover the bottom of the dough with cheese.

Add your desired toppings (sweet Italian sausage is very popular in Chicago). I use sausage and pepperoni.

Top with 6 IN 1 brand crushed tomatoes spooned directly from the can. Use your hands if necessary to spread out the tomatoes.

Please note that 6 IN 1 brand tomatoes are very fresh tasting tomatoes and are recommended for this recipe. You can purchase them online from the manufacturer at http://www.escalon.net

Finish topping with Italian herbs/seasonings (chopped fresh basil and dried oregano flakes are favorites) and finally with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Place the pan in the center of the bottom oven rack and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning once half way through, until the crust is golden brown. Remove the pizza from the oven and allow to cool for about 3 minutes.

Remove the pizza from the baking pan and place on a cutting board or serving pan. Slice and serve.

KC Kings
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I'd rather eat pizza from a chain but it's probably cheaper just to make it myself.
Only if you are making a cheese pizza. I would make homemade pizza more, but cost so much more that $5.99 Papa John's Monday special, I hardly make it.

Crust $1: I either make it from scratch with a refrigerator bread recipe, or I buy Jiffy pizza crust mix.
Sauce $1.50: You can buy cans of bland pizza sauce, but we usually buy it in the jar because it taste better.
Cheese $1.50: For a 16 oz package of mozerella.

You are already at $4 dollars, and I although you won't use the entire pack of ingredients, you can still have to purchase:
Hamburger $.99 a pound
Mushrooms $1
Canadien Bacon $1.50
Peperoni $2
keep adding for onions, green pepper, black olives, pineapple and water chestnuts, sausage, etc.... to feed a family of 5 with homemade pizza usually runs me about $25-$30.

cdcox
09-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh and buy a damn cook book, it does not take that much more time or effort to make something worth eating...........I mean damn hamburger helper.......get one of Ms Rays 30 min. cook books and start eating real food.

:thumb:

Stewie
09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
If you truly want to make a scratch pizza (which I make at least once a weekend) there are a few tricks to the trade.

1) Use a very high protein flour. Bread flour will work in a pinch, but Wheat Montana brand flour at Walmart is the highest I've found locally. I was surprised to find it there.

2) Use a pizza stone. It makes all the difference in the world.

3) Parchment paper is essential due to the fact that the dough should be wetter than you would think. Roll the dough out on the paper and trim to size before placing on the pizza stone.

4) Crank the oven as high as it will go. (I often cook the pizza on my gas grill which gets hotter than my oven.)

Food processor method for dough:

Use the dough blade attachment

2 cups flour
8 oz. water (you probably won't use it all)
2 tsp. yeast (bread machine or quick acting)
1 TBSP. Sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 TBSP. Olive Oil (optional) makes the crust chewy.

Add the dry ingredients and pulse (with the lid in place) for about 15 seconds.
Add olive oil and pulse for a few seconds.
Add the water SLOWLY until the dough forms a ball. This will seem to happen quickly so don't over do the water.
Place in an oiled covered bowl and let rise for about an hour.
Roll out on parchment paper and let rise for about 15 minutes.
Poke holes in dough and add pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, and any toppings you like. (I skip the pizza sauce and roast garlic in olive oil and brush the crust with the infused oil. I add the garlic as a topping.)

Bake for about 7 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

(If you have a bread machine, it makes a reasonable dough, just follow the directions.)

Edit: Leave the pizza stone in the oven or on the grill to cool. If you don't it will break.

Redrum_69
09-19-2007, 02:43 PM
The Italian mafia is laughing their asses off right now

You dumbshits cant cook a pizza even if your name was Mike Piazza

bkkcoh
09-19-2007, 02:43 PM
If you have a crock pot.

Put a couple of chuck roasts in to cook all day on low.

When you get home, cook a bag of noodles and either make some gravy or buy it at the store and combine ingredients. good and tasty :)

Phobia
09-19-2007, 02:45 PM

Maybe you could swing by and show us how sometime.....

errrr

Extra Point
09-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Chef Boyardee is a good base. But the grilled pizza idea sounds really good.

Undertaker #59
09-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Here is a NY style that I do all the time:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/newyorkstyle.php

Delano
09-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Sometimes, local pizza joints will sell balls of dough so you can make your own pizza.

Additionally, you can cut out donut shapes from the dough remnants and fry 'em up. Dredge the fried dough in a sugar and cinnamon mixture and eat immediately.

Delano
09-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Is there a type of canned or bottled pizza sauce available at most grocery stores that is worth a damn?

KCChiefsMan
09-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Digorno (sp?) with extra cheese, mushrooms and olives...yum yum

Undertaker #59
09-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Is there a type of canned or bottled pizza sauce available at most grocery stores that is worth a damn?

I have tried a bunch of different ones, and they are all ok...I have never found one that is fantastic. The best sauces are from scratch.

KcMizzou
09-19-2007, 03:07 PM

You dumbshits cant cook a pizza even if your name was Mike PiazzaConsidering the original poster's menu consists of several food items with the word "helper" in the title, I assume he's looking for something fairly simple.

chasedude
09-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Preheat oven to 350.

Now that's good eats.

Not a bad idea there Phobia, kinda a Ghetto Calzone eh?

chasedude
09-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Hmmm...is it supposed to turn out looking like this? I may have messed it up.
http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/space/images/pizzahut.jpg

OMG It's "Pizza The Hutt"!

Skip Towne
09-19-2007, 03:26 PM

errrr
He won't show. Too many criminals.

Groves
09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Papa Murphy's is the worst pizza I've ever had. Stay away.

sedated
09-19-2007, 03:36 PM
pre-made crusts are good, but cost $3.50 or $4 per, when you can make your own crust for around $1.

Just be sure to pick up some corn meal too.

and beer. but that goes without saying.

MOhillbilly
09-19-2007, 03:48 PM
i like patriot (frog) bread pizza.

Coach
09-19-2007, 03:50 PM
This is all I've tried. Pretty basic stuff...

That pizza is really good. I love it.

Jilly
09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Sully makes awesome french bread pizza. He gets a loaf of french bread, cuts it lengthwise, puts it in the oven for like 5 minutes, then puts pizza sauce on it and various cheese and toppings, then puts it back in the oven...and voila...ZA for two or really 4!

Redrum_69
09-19-2007, 04:00 PM

errrr

Marines can cook?

This isnt the Pizza made from the MRE's,....

bkkcoh
09-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Sully makes awesome french bread pizza. He gets a loaf of french bread, cuts it lengthwise, puts it in the oven for like 5 minutes, then puts pizza sauce on it and various cheese and toppings, then puts it back in the oven...and voila...ZA for two or really 4!

That is a good way also. Put pepperoni and mushrooms on it with mozzarella cheddar cheese on it..... real good.

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Only if you are making a cheese pizza. I would make homemade pizza more, but cost so much more that $5.99 Papa John's Monday special, I hardly make it.

Crust $1: I either make it from scratch with a refrigerator bread recipe, or I buy Jiffy pizza crust mix.
Sauce $1.50: You can buy cans of bland pizza sauce, but we usually buy it in the jar because it taste better.
Cheese $1.50: For a 16 oz package of mozerella.

You are already at $4 dollars, and I although you won't use the entire pack of ingredients, you can still have to purchase:
Hamburger $.99 a pound
Mushrooms $1
Canadien Bacon $1.50
Peperoni $2
keep adding for onions, green pepper, black olives, pineapple and water chestnuts, sausage, etc.... to feed a family of 5 with homemade pizza usually runs me about $25-$30.

I realized that.

The employee took me to the kit and I grabbed it. I then decided I didn't trust myself feeding three of us with a kit that I had to make the dough myself. So, I bought 2 ready-made mama whatever crusts.

crust- $3.50
Sauce-$1.79
Cheese (2) 1.79
Pan $1.99
12 pk BL $9.00
Salad $1.79
Ranch 2.00
Croutons $1.49

So, I spent 18 bucks. I could've just ordered out but I wanted to see if I could make pizza.

I'm making

1. Pepperoni, beef
2. Chicken Alfredo.
3. Salad
4. Cottage cheese for myself.

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Preheat oven to 350.

Now that's good eats.

Damn, you posted that after I left.

I'll try that next week. It sounds badass.

Skip Towne
09-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I realized that.

The employee took me to the kit and I grabbed it. I then decided I didn't trust myself feeding three of us with a kit that I had to make the dough myself. So, I bought 2 ready-made mama whatever crusts.

crust- $3.50
Sauce-$1.79
Cheese (2) 1.79
Pan $1.99
12 pk BL $9.00
Salad $1.79
Ranch 2.00
Croutons $1.49

So, I spent 18 bucks. I could've just ordered out but I wanted to see if I could make pizza.

I'm making

1. Pepperoni, beef
2. Chicken Alfredo.
3. Salad
4. Cottage cheese for myself.
Psst! You didn't buy any cottage cheese.

Dunit35
09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Psst! You didn't buy any cottage cheese.

Already had pepperoni, beef, and cottage cheese.