PDA

View Full Version : So is Vista as much of a Turd as it sounds?

dtebbe
09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
All I hear is how aweful WIndows Vista is. Is it really that bad? I know there are still a lot of driver issues for existing hardware, but what other issues are there?

DT

morphius
09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I found it to be the worst piece of nag-ware ever created. "are you sure you want to? Well, we know that you clicked yes, but are you sure you clicked yes? You have clicked yes, please press OK to continue even though we really don't recommend you using this non MS piece of software on your computer as you downloaded it off of the Internet where criminals are looking to steal your very soul and molest your children."

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Silock
09-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes, it's terrible. Stay away for another year or so. Maybe longer.

It's really, really bad. XP is sooo much better.

Braincase
09-19-2007, 08:10 PM
I found it to be the worst piece of nag-ware ever created. "are you sure you want to? Well, we know that you clicked yes, but are you sure you clicked yes? You have clicked yes, please press OK to continue even though we really don't recommend you using this non MS piece of software on your computer as you downloaded it off of the Internet where criminals are looking to steal your very soul and molest your children."

LOad MMC> File/Add/Remove Snap-In/Add Group Policy Object, Local Policy/Finish, OK

Open Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local POlicies/Security Options.

Scroll down list to bottom.

My settings for the 9 UAC settings in order:

Disabled/Elevate without prompting/Prompt for credentials (standard users)/Disabled/Disabled/Enabled/Enabled/Enabled/Enabled

DaFace
09-19-2007, 08:15 PM
We've got it on a few of our new laptops at work. There are a few nifty features in there, but overall, I'd say to stick with XP unless you've got a strong, compelling reason to upgrade. Aside from the few lingering software incompatibilities that we deal with every once in a while, it is SLOW AS HELL. We're running ours with 2 gigs of RAM, and they seem to take FOREVER to do anything. It's annoying.

I'm sure we'll all be forced onto Vista in the future. Until then, however, stick with XP.

Valiant
09-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah it sucks.. Unfortunately those ****ers are going to make you have it to play PC games in the future for DX10...

Deberg_1990
09-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Basically ditto whats been said above. XP is alot more stable. It locks up on me alot just at random times.

Psyko Tek
09-19-2007, 11:11 PM
yup slow
with 2 gig ram

nags you to death
parental controls are nice
kids don't even ask to use my puter any more

Guru
09-19-2007, 11:16 PM

Yep. I like the eye candy but XP will serve just fine.

Fruit Ninja
09-20-2007, 02:54 AM
What ****ing sucks is that soon gamers will have no choice but to go Vista and Dx10.

I really wish MS would make xp Dx10 compatible, but we all know that M$ wont allow that shit.

KC Jones
09-20-2007, 06:21 AM
I've got to second the slow complaint. Got my wife a new laptop w/ dual core intel CPU and 1 GB of very high speed RAM. Dog slow to do anything.

Pushead2
09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
I've got to second the slow complaint. Got my wife a new laptop w/ dual core intel CPU and 1 GB of very high speed RAM. Dog slow to do anything.

did you use dog slow because of your avatar?? Vista isn't that great, XP is alot better, nothing everyone hasn't said already.

ZepSinger
09-20-2007, 07:54 AM
When I bought my wife's laptop last December, I had the choice of going either XP or Vista- I went XP. After reading the above Vista issues, I'm sure glad I did.

Z

The Rick
09-20-2007, 09:04 AM
What is this "Vista" you speak of?

Signed,
A Happy Mac OS X User

:p

Simplex3
09-20-2007, 09:50 AM
What ****ing sucks is that soon gamers will have no choice but to go Vista and Dx10.

I really wish MS would make xp Dx10 compatible, but we all know that M$ wont allow that shit.
They've got you by the balls and they need to get a bump in that stock price.

Pretty much everyone that I know who's tried to use it is back to XP. The one guy I know who's still running it keeps Windows XP virtual machines on his Vista machine that have all his useful applications in them.

Cochise
09-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Aside from it being slow and the aforementioned nag boxes at every turn, I haven't had any trouble with it.

PastorMikH
09-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I have Vista on two machines. (About a month after I upgraded the desktop the laptop died). I have had almost no problems with it, BUT I read a bit here first and got machines with a lot of Ram (4 gig on the desktop and 2 gig on the laptop).

The security boxes get a bit annoying at times.

The one thing that I haven't figured out to my satisfaction yet is file sharing. About the only way I have figured out how to share is to copy the file to the public folders. I liked the freedom XP gave me to just designate C drive as sharing and being able to access the computer as needed without having to actually sit with both computers in front of me to get the file moved. Anyone know how to get around this?

PastorMikH
09-20-2007, 10:20 AM

I have the AMD Turion dual processor in the 1.8ghz with 2 gigs of ram and Vista. This thing is lots faster than the other laptop which was a AMD Turion 1.8 with 1 gig ram and XP.

The differences: dual core, 2x the ram, and OS.

cookster50
09-20-2007, 10:21 AM
No problems with Vista, just those security things are a mild annoyance, but I've had no problems running stuff.

PastorMikH
09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
LOad MMC> File/Add/Remove Snap-In/Add Group Policy Object, Local Policy/Finish, OK

Open Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local POlicies/Security Options.

Disabled/Elevate without prompting/Prompt for credentials (standard users)/Disabled/Disabled/Enabled/Enabled/Enabled/Enabled

For some reason I am having a hard time finding these options...

DaFace
09-20-2007, 10:40 AM
For some reason I am having a hard time finding these options...

"Load MMC" basically means go to your task manager (Alt-Ctrl-Del), then go to File and down to Run. Type "mmc" in the box. After that, his directions should make more sense.

noa
09-20-2007, 10:48 AM
I read this thread last night, and then today at work a co-worker brought in his laptop with Vista on it. He had been running Vista for a few weeks had the amount of RAM they recommended. In the middle of typing, his screen just went black and some text appeared to tell him he needs to buy more RAM.

Braincase
09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Vista is going to take it's sweet time catching on for the home users, but due to the unparalled manageability of the OS in the corporate environment, it has made significant inroads with a number of my clients, and many say that after SP1 is released, they'll be jumping on board.

So, for the adventurous, it's a reasonable, updated version of the most popular OS in the world.

For those that like XP, and are satisfied with their performance, stick with XP.

For the geek with nothing better to do but read and hack, there's Linux and it's various distributions.

Mac's are decent systems, but everything I need to do I can do on a PC. My PC does things that a Mac can't.

Saulbadguy
09-20-2007, 11:00 AM
You can just turn UAC in control panel.

PastorMikH
09-20-2007, 12:33 PM
"Load MMC" basically means go to your task manager (Alt-Ctrl-Del), then go to File and down to Run. Type "mmc" in the box. After that, his directions should make more sense.

That helped....

...'till this: "You are running Vista home Premium, that option is not available in Home premium."

PastorMikH
09-20-2007, 12:43 PM
You can just turn UAC in control panel.

That did it!

Thanks!!!

NO MORE STUPID "Are you sure" "Are you really, really sure?" messages!!!
PBJPBJPBJPBJPBJ

PastorMikH
09-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Now, how do I turn on sharing for C: drive so I don't have to copy/paste files to the share folders to access them?

kaplin42
09-20-2007, 12:52 PM

Tis great info, thank you for the heads up.

Fishpicker
09-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Now, how do I turn on sharing for C: drive so I don't have to copy/paste files to the share folders to access them?
do you have those computers arranged in a workgroup or did you join a domain?

are you sure you want to share the whole drive?

Braincase
09-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Programs> Control Panel>Network & Sharing Center>Sharing & Discovery Section beneath the Network section> File Sharing, set to "On".

Fruit Ninja
09-20-2007, 05:14 PM
They've got you by the balls and they need to get a bump in that stock price.

Pretty much everyone that I know who's tried to use it is back to XP. The one guy I know who's still running it keeps Windows XP virtual machines on his Vista machine that have all his useful applications in them.
They do. I havent made the move yet, but eventually i am going to have too and its bullshit.

PastorMikH
09-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Programs> Control Panel>Network & Sharing Center>Sharing & Discovery Section beneath the Network section> File Sharing, set to "On".

I've got that set right, but I still can only get files in the public folders on the other computers in my network. Still scratching my head on that one.

are you sure you want to share the whole drive?

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about it since the only person jumping from the computers is me and the modem's firewall stops anyone from the outside from getting in (Well, I'll put it this way, if they can get past the modem's firewall and security settings they'll figure out how to get access to everything anyway).

BigMeatballDave
09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
The only problem I am having with it, is compatibility. Hell, the software that came with the printer that was included in the package, wouldn't work...

BigMeatballDave
09-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Basically ditto whats been said above. XP is alot more stable. It locks up on me alot just at random times.I haven't had that problem. Its a RAM hog, though!

Floridafan
09-21-2007, 03:49 PM
I started operating computers in 1969 at Chrysler and continued in the Marine Corp, I bought my first pc in 1983 for my office. I've used them extensively since then. My two youngest boys convinced me to go Mac about 3 yrs ago for the "house" computer and then last yr I bought my first MacBook.

I wouldn't go back to a MS Gates piece of crap if I had to. There is no comparison. With a Mac you plug something in and it works, all the drivers are there. It knows what to do with it. It doesn't crash for no apparent reason. It just does what its supposed to do, all the time. If I have to run software from a MS type program I just use parallels and open it in that and keep my mac software doing what it does.

I used to think people were a little nuts when they would say stupid crap like "Mac Rules" but I now understand completely.

Vista sucks, Gate$ $ucks, and he is a dick. Very rich, but a dick none the less.

Valiant
09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I started operating computers in 1969 at Chrysler and continued in the Marine Corp, I bought my first pc in 1983 for my office. I've used them extensively since then. My two youngest boys convinced me to go Mac about 3 yrs ago for the "house" computer and then last yr I bought my first MacBook.

I wouldn't go back to a MS Gates piece of crap if I had to. There is no comparison. With a Mac you plug something in and it works, all the drivers are there. It knows what to do with it. It doesn't crash for no apparent reason. It just does what its supposed to do, all the time. If I have to run software from a MS type program I just use parallels and open it in that and keep my mac software doing what it does.

I used to think people were a little nuts when they would say stupid crap like "Mac Rules" but I now understand completely.

Vista sucks, Gate$ $ucks, and he is a dick. Very rich, but a dick none the less.

Tell Mac to get their shit fixed where you can play the games on their system then without running extra programs..

HC_Chief
09-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Tell Mac to get their shit fixed where you can play the games on their system then without running extra programs..

You can... use BootCamp and the new Parallels, which supports native drivers :-)

I bought a MacBook Pro this year... it's badass. The Mac OS is rock solid; I use it for everything other than work. I have to work a lot on M$ systems and it is typically best to do so from a M$ OS, so I turn on Parallels. This seemlessly integrates XP into the Mac OS... I have OSX w/ a start menu ;) From there I can launch any application, be it Windows or Mac; the app opens in its native OS and runs smoothly.

My only complaint is I bought the MBPro before Intel fixed their mobo issue. The problem was Intel boards using DualCore Procs and RAM > 3GB tended to allow the CPU to access reserved memory, which can cause nasty spurious results in the OS... including corrupted data. Because opf this Mac avoided the issue by limiting the memory to 3GB. Intel fixed their hardware issue this year, now the MBPros can go up to 4GB. In the line of work I do, more RAM = good.

ChiefsLV
09-22-2007, 06:34 PM
It's not as bad as the haters say it is and not as good as the fanbois claim it to be. Personally, I'd only get it only if I were building a new system and only because I'm a gamer. Were I using the PC strictly for office apps, design, etc, I probably wouldn't use it. I've tried Ubuntu and if I weren't gaming, I'd probably go with it.

beavis
09-23-2007, 06:09 AM
It's not as bad as they say, it's worse. A short list:

1. Slow as hell.
2. Random locking up of my machine.
3. Word and Excel files crashing on a regular basis.
4. One of the oddest things I've found, I can't create or rename files on remote shares.

It's a turd, and I'm pissed that I was forced to upgrade. It seriously interferes with my ability to get work done.

One thing I have found that seems to help, turning off the indexer. If anyone else finds any other tips on improving performance, I'd appreciate hearing them.

headsnap
09-23-2007, 08:00 AM

ok...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?node=home/mac/buying_guide/ea

Saulbadguy
09-23-2007, 08:18 AM
ok...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?node=home/mac/buying_guide/ea
ROFL

Extra hilarity there.

Saulbadguy
09-23-2007, 08:19 AM
It's not as bad as they say, it's worse. A short list:

1. Slow as hell.
2. Random locking up of my machine.
3. Word and Excel files crashing on a regular basis.
4. One of the oddest things I've found, I can't create or rename files on remote shares.

It's a turd, and I'm pissed that I was forced to upgrade. It seriously interferes with my ability to get work done.

One thing I have found that seems to help, turning off the indexer. If anyone else finds any other tips on improving performance, I'd appreciate hearing them.
If you configure the indexer just to index your e-mail account and profile, it works much better. Do NOT let it scan network drives.

Braincase
09-23-2007, 09:21 AM

And Gates owns a big chuck of Apple. Congrats!

Ultra Peanut
09-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I only have to use a computer with Vista ~20 minutes a week, so my in-depth review is that it looks pretty spiffy.

Cochise
02-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Funny story.

Last weekend I read somewhere that you could get the 64 bit version of vista on disk for $10 if you already have a license. Well, I am not normally one to mess with a system that is reasonably working, but I wondered if I might see some better performance so I ponyed up.

So the disk comes in the mail. I pop it in and begin the install process. I heard some people gripe about the 64 bit version, but I figured I'd play with it and if I didn't like it, I can just uninstall, right? All my old stuff will be in windows.old right?

Ahem.

The installer needs to restart partway through, I let it, and then it attempts to start Windows and the system BSODs. All I did was run the installer and it bricked my computer. I know, I got greedy, hoping that I could actually configure a system to utilize all my hardware.

I hate this crap. Why do we as consumers have to put up with this?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-10-2008, 01:10 PM
That's why people don't just try new OS's without at least running them in a dual boot first.

JBucc
02-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I've only used it for about five minutes. I played that neat little game where you draw those lines and try to get the balls in their holes. Better than minesweeper.

Cochise
02-10-2008, 02:53 PM
That's why people don't just try new OS's without at least running them in a dual boot first.

Eh, I back up pretty regularly, so it just cost me an hour or two's work to set it up again. I just thought it was funny. I wonder if other OS users deal with this kind of poppycock.