PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs’ Allen is back and eager to play

Count Alex's Wins
09-20-2007, 12:38 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/282628.html

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

His two-game suspension over, Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen returned to practice Wednesday with his game face on. Allen is expected to play in Sunday’s home opener against the Minnesota Vikings.

Jared Allen was so pained by his forced absence from the Chiefs that he initially planned to fly to Chicago on his own so he could watch last week’s game from the stands like any other fan.

He had a change of heart on his way to the airport to catch his flight. What he saw as he watched from his couch didn’t make things easier for him.

The Chiefs played well enough defensively to win. They forced two second-half turnovers, each giving the Chiefs the ball in Chicago’s end.

Allen was tortured by the thought that had he played, the Chiefs might have done enough to escape with a victory rather than be stuck with their 20-10 loss.

“We’re on the verge of being really good,” Allen said. “I’m hoping to come back and provide that little bit extra to help us win.”

His two-game NFL suspension is now finished, so Allen returned to practice Wednesday for the first time since the preseason. He assumed his normal spot as the starting right defensive end and will play in Sunday’s game against Minnesota at Arrowhead Stadium.

Though the Chiefs were encouraged by the play of their defense against the Bears, all three of their sacks came from linebackers. Tackle Alfonso Boone is the only Chiefs lineman with a sack this season, so the Chiefs could use the pass-rush boost Allen figures to provide.

“It’s always good to have him back because he’s our premier pass rusher,” defensive end Tamba Hali said. “We were missing him. He’s going to get to the quarterback. You know that. It takes pressure off everybody.”

Allen wasn’t exactly a stranger during his suspension. He couldn’t practice or play, but he did attend team meetings and provided his own particular brand of moral support.

“I’m not going to lie,” he said. “The rest was nice. I played a lot of golf. My golf game is on point right now.”

At practice, he looked like someone who had played a lot of golf in the past couple of weeks.

“He was pretty fresh today,” coach Herm Edwards said. “He hasn’t practiced in two weeks, so he has fresh legs. The key is how he feels tomorrow. He’ll be a little sore.

“He’s excited about playing. He practiced hard.”

Allen had a typically strong training camp and preseason. Judging from Wednesday’s developments, he doesn’t appear to have lost that edge.

“I think mentally and physically I’m ready, and I think that’s the most important thing right now,” Allen said. “My whole goal was to keep a routine so I don’t get out of sync. If I had gone on vacation for two weeks, then you come back and you haven’t done anything for two weeks. But I was up every morning in the gym, running and going through what I know we do for individual drills. I went in and did those on my own and kept with football movements.

“I was able to come to meetings, which was a good thing because mentally, I kept in a football mindset and a football mode.”

But there’s nothing like playing. Allen was so wound up during the two games he missed that he found himself screaming at what he found to be objectionable analysis on TV.

Allen was suspended for two games for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. He was arrested twice recently in Johnson County and charged with DUI.

“It was frustrating and tough, especially because it was self-inflicted,” Allen said. “I’m the cause for why I wasn’t out there with my teammates. It’s all over with now. That’s the best part about it. Everything that happened a year ago is completely done. It’s behind me. We can move on and we can have a great season still.

“It starts Sunday.”

KurtCobain
09-20-2007, 12:45 AM
This guy rules! Some needs to wine him. Then dine him. Then prepare to sixty-nine him.

Direckshun
09-20-2007, 12:46 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to log off for half an hour now.

Somebody tell me how I can log off?

KurtCobain
09-20-2007, 12:51 AM

el borracho
09-20-2007, 12:54 AM
It will be great having Allen back in the lineup although, truthfully, there is not a lot more our defense could do to help us win games. I guess if Allen runs back a few fumbles for touchdowns...

Count Alex's Wins
09-20-2007, 12:54 AM
“It starts Sunday.”

All I have to say is...

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t2ziB-cWOIg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t2ziB-cWOIg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

Direckshun
09-20-2007, 12:57 AM
It will be great having Allen back in the lineup although, truthfully, there is not a lot more our defense could do to help us win games.
Sure there is.

We have zero pass rush when the front four rush alone right now.

luv
09-20-2007, 02:11 AM

Bottom of the ChiefsPlanet page. If that doesn't work, you may need to clear some cookies.

blueballs
09-20-2007, 02:16 AM
Two weeks off playing golf
he will go balls to the wall
and get injured

greg63
09-20-2007, 03:07 AM
This guy rules! Some needs to wine him. Then dine him. Then prepare to sixty-nine him.

As long as he's not the one driving home after the wining part of the deal.

luv
09-20-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm prepared for such a sacrifice.

KurtCobain
09-20-2007, 03:31 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Fruit Ninja
09-20-2007, 03:52 AM
haha,i bet you are.

KurtCobain
09-20-2007, 04:01 AM
luv would literally shit her pants if she came home to a naked Jared Allen laying on her couch with a sock on his dick watching Golden Girls.

Bob Dole
09-20-2007, 06:57 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=73122&stc=1

Bob Dole has lost count of the times he has wished there was a "Log Out joey" link at the bottom of the page.

KurtCobain
09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Bob Dole has lost count of the times he has wished there was a "Log Out joey" link at the bottom of the page.

That hurt. Really.

DaKCMan AP
09-20-2007, 07:23 AM
He'll have at least 2 sacks Sunday.

Garcia Bronco
09-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Try not to get anymore DUI's "citizen".

StcChief
09-20-2007, 08:43 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

due your fan duty.

boogblaster
09-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Think you'll see a big difference on how the D will play..at home with Allen = WIN .....

Hog Farmer
09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Go Chiefs avatar is friggin hilarious. I'll be laughin all day.

phobia's skidmark
09-20-2007, 09:37 AM
luv would literally shit her pants if she came home to a naked Jared Allen laying on her couch with a sock on his dick watching Golden Girls.
You rang masters?.......