PDA

View Full Version : Solari: Approve or Disapprove?

Extra Point
09-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Having read a lot about Solari's offense, I was just wondering about some of the comments. Do you approve or disapprove of the job that Solari has done so far, and do you think he will/won't get the offense to score more points per game?

Woodrow Call
09-20-2007, 09:06 AM
He's a horrible OC.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Solari needs to go back to field and let someone who knows how to call games call the games. He cleraly lacks any vision in his play calling which is why you see the same 4 plays over and over, HB Dive, HB Draw, Screen Pass and WR Qucik Hits.

Scaga
09-20-2007, 09:20 AM
OK...who's the jackass that hit "approve"????
:banghead:

talastan
09-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Solari was one hell of an offensive line coach. Conveinently enough we need him back down there. As far as an OC, I have to disapprove until his offense shows me otherwise. He has tried to add some more passing schemes to the playcalling but without downfield passing the playcalling isn't opening up the field for the run. So until he shows me otherwise our current OC is ineffective.

Radar Chief
09-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I just donít see him getting players into a position to excel.

Rooster
09-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I just donít see him getting players into a position to excel.

I agree. OC is more than just playcalling. His players IMO look unprepared with no fire or drive.

KurtCobain
09-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Solari was one hell of an offensive line coach. Conveinently enough we need him back down there.

No we don't. He couldn't do shit with this line. He had a stud filled O line. He doesn't now.

beach tribe
09-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Who approved? Come forth.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 09:38 AM
i think it's a big mistake to try and separate Solari from Edwards.

i think Solari is trying to do what Herm wants and trying to run what he learned from Vermeil/Saunders.

he stuck somewhere in the middle

Deberg_1990
09-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Id like to see how much the playcalling changes with Croyle in there to make a fair evaluation.

DTLB58
09-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Id like to see how much the playcalling changes with Croyle in there to make a fair evaluation.

I agree with this. Make this an option in the poll.

DTLB58
09-20-2007, 09:44 AM

i think Solari is trying to do what Herm wants and trying to run what he learned from Vermeil/Saunders.

Good point :clap:

DTLB58
09-20-2007, 09:46 AM
No we don't. He couldn't do shit with this line. He had a stud filled O line. He doesn't now.

Whose to say he didn't help that line to be the studs they were through his coaching?

DaFace
09-20-2007, 09:49 AM

That's basically how I feel. I think Solari deserves a lot of the blame, but he's trying to run our offense Herm style, so that probably neuters us a bit.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Whose to say he didn't help that line to be the studs they were through his coaching?
Good point! :clap:

an offensive scheme that is unpredictable gives the advantage to the offensive lineman. After awhile the defense starts to just react to the movement of the offense and they are toast.

A good scheme gets an offensive line a good 1 to 2 step head start.

BigChiefFan
09-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Solari isn't the one to throw under the bus, IMO. Huard is. Solari has called plenty of plays, that had players going further down field. Huard conviently takes the safe 3 yard pass 9 times out of 10. The offense has been neutered by a few things, but Huard is definitely a good part of that blame.

El Jefe
09-20-2007, 09:53 AM
He's a horrible OC.

Agreed.

Extra Point
09-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I agree with this. Make this an option in the poll."

No. I wanted to get opinions from folks, including the grey areas. Thanks.

Deberg_1990
Huard conviently takes the safe 3 yard pass 9 times out of 10. The offense has been neutered by a few things, but Huard is definitely a good part of that blame.

He does go downfield on occassion, but i assume not as much as Solari would prefer. I think Huard knows his limitations (which is fairly smart) and doesnt trust his arm to make certain throws.

Plus, his release is slow as molasses. It takes quite a while for the ball to get to a reciever, which allows the defender to break on the ball faster.

El Jefe
Solari isn't the one to throw under the bus, IMO. Huard is. Solari has called plenty of plays, that had players going further down field. Huard conviently takes the safe 3 yard pass 9 times out of 10. The offense has been neutered by a few things, but Huard is definitely a good part of that blame.

Touche, very very valid point, I will have to agree with you. It isn't only Solari's fault, but none the less he isn't a very good OC IMO.

Chiefnj2
09-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I think the fault at this point is 1/3 Solari, 1/3 Herm and 1/3 the players.

Questionable playcalling such as draws on 3rd and long and all those short 1-2 yard passes - Solari, with Herm's influence.

Lack of continuity - I fault Herm for not making a QB decision earlier and for not playing the starters in the 4th game so they could get some game time experience. I also fault Herm for his soft camps.

Execution - players. Lets face it the OL hasn't been opening holes, the pass protection in the first game was horrible, LJ hasn't gotten his legs yet, Huard isn't a very good QB and the receivers have had lots of drops.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 10:08 AM
ya ... but who puts Huard in the shitty position of 3rd and long by running the ol' run,run,pass,punt offense?

Rausch
09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Sucks. We build this smashmouth team and then come out firing with....Huard.

Waht teh fuggs...

First LJ got too many carries last year so we need to lay off, then he didn't get ENOUGH carries in the preseason so we need to lay off. Whatever.

Just give him the damned ball...

HemiEd
09-20-2007, 10:17 AM

I am leaning to this way of thinking myself. When looking at the play calls objectively, execution seems to be the major issue. IN other words, Damon Huard sucks bad this season.

If I was going to fire any assistant right now, it would be special teams.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Wher's the "he's a worthless ****ing waste of space" option?

StcChief
09-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Solari tough spot maybe too much of a learning curve.

Play calling his been very suspect especially in critical times of a game.

Is he trying to be an over analyzing Saunders type???

petegz28
09-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Solari tough spot maybe too much of a learning curve.

Play calling his been very suspect especially in critical times of a game.

Is he trying to be an over analyzing Saunders type???

I think you hit it on the head. I think he tries so hard it hurts him and in fear of delay of games and stuff always resorts back to the same plays over and over. I don't think he thinks 3 and 4 plays ahead I think he is too worried about getting a play called now.

To where Saunders would know (usually) what he would do if we made or missed the first down, if we gaind or lost yards, the whole bit.

Solari I think struggles in this area.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 10:26 AM
I think you hit it on the head. I think he tries so hard it hurts him and in fear of delay of games and stuff always resorts back to the same plays over and over. I don't think he thinks 3 and 4 plays ahead I think he is too worried about getting a play called now.

To where Saunders would know (usually) what he would do if we made or missed the first down, if we gaind or lost yards, the whole bit.

Solari I think struggles in this area.
i think Herm and his defense mentality also hurts Solari

i don't think the offense is prepared to run a full game plan and that results in penalties in the real games because they haven't practiced it enough.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
i think Herm and his defense mentality also hurts Solari

i don't think the offense is prepared to run a full game plan and that results in penalties in the real games because they haven't practiced it enough.

I don't think the offense is prepared to run anything after our first 10-15 scripted plays. I think once a penalty happens or we drop a pass Solari becomes a deer in the headlights.

Extra Point
09-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Although it seems like Herm doesn't say anything when the Chiefs have the ball, I can't help but feel that Solari's walking on eggshells, worried about what to call after the scripted first few plays have been attempted.

Fish
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Nice thread... lots of good takes here.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Although it seems like Herm doesn't say anything when the Chiefs have the ball, I can't help but feel that Solari's walking on eggshells, worried about what to call after the scripted first few plays have been attempted.

Bingo. Herm is NOT calling this offense and I don't give a shit what people say. He may tell Solari he wants ball cotnrol. He may tell Solrai he wants to be run oriented. He may tell Solari to make sure we keep a good run\pass balance.

He doesn't tell Solari that you can only run between the tackles.

He doesn't tell Solrai what plays to call period.

He sets the parameters and a Coach is to operate within them.

It's no different than your job telling you what paramenters you have to work under. And you are expected to work within them and be productive.

I know Herm is a flake on O. But that is why I am sure he is not calling the plays. Although I think we he sees things like people not lining up right, or OC's losing track of down and distance he comes in and says make it more simple then.

chagrin
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
We can't isolate him as THE problem, but I'd like to know how anyone can be pleased with the job he's done so far; he's lost and his play calling seems to have no strategy to it.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 10:44 AM
We can't isolate him as THE problem, but I'd like to know how anyone can be pleased with the job he's done so far; he's lost and his play calling seems to have no strategy to it.

It doesn't. He does not know how to game plan very well. And he sure as hell can't make in-game adjustments for shit!

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Bingo. Herm is NOT calling this offense and I don't give a shit what people say. He may tell Solari he wants ball cotnrol. He may tell Solrai he wants to be run oriented. He may tell Solari to make sure we keep a good run\pass balance.

He doesn't tell Solari that you can only run between the tackles.

He doesn't tell Solrai what plays to call period.

He sets the parameters and a Coach is to operate within them.

It's no different than your job telling you what paramenters you have to work under. And you are expected to work within them and be productive.

I know Herm is a flake on O. But that is why I am sure he is not calling the plays. Although I think we he sees things like people not lining up right, or OC's losing track of down and distance he comes in and says make it more simple then.
Herm doesn't call the plays but he has such a heavy influence on the offense, he might as well call them.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Herm doesn't call the plays but he has such a heavy influence on the offense, he might as well call them.

Sorry I just won't buy that. Influence is different than play calling. And I don't see Herm saying he is telling Solari those are the plays he wants ran.

So obviously Herm is just letting Solari take the heat for Herm's decisions or Solari sucks.

CoMoChief
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Who are the dumbasses that said they approve?

Fish
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Who are the dumbasses that said they approve?

I'm really wondering that as well.... and if they answered truthfully...

Chiefnj2
09-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Sorry I just won't buy that. Influence is different than play calling. And I don't see Herm saying he is telling Solari those are the plays he wants ran.

How do you know that on Tuesday when gameplans are drawn up Herm isn't choosing plays to be run on Sunday?

cdcox
09-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree with Laz that it is hard to separate Solari from Herm. It's hard to execute a philosophy that you don't believe it. Herm is a fool for medling.

I will point out one thing that Solari excells at: he usually has a great play in the bag that he can pull out at a critical time in the game.

The flea flicker last week was one such play.

Against Arizona last year, the back side screen to LJ was brilliant and a game saver.

There have been others, maybe someone else can remind me.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
How do you know that on Tuesday when gameplans are drawn up Herm isn't choosing plays to be run on Sunday?

So then your argument is Herm is calling the plays, Solari is his bitch and is taking it up the ass for Herm as Herm takes 0 responsibility for play calls on O?

MOhillbilly
09-20-2007, 11:17 AM
other than the plays being sloppy now and again ive thought hes done a fair(C+ grade) job. considering the tools he has to work with. ive thought the line esp. has played decent considering.

Chiefnj2
09-20-2007, 11:23 AM
So then your argument is Herm is calling the plays, Solari is his bitch and is taking it up the ass for Herm as Herm takes 0 responsibility for play calls on O?

No, Herm is not actively calling the plays on Sunday. Herm does assist in the general playbook for the week and the overall scheme. Does Herm call a "cover 2" on Sunday? No, but Gunther does because that is what Herm wants.

Go back and read and look at the Jets offense from 3-4 years ago. KC is very similar at this point. Is Solari the common element or Herm?

MOhillbilly
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Do KC have someone whos job it is to watch down and distance along w/ the clock? Didnt herm have a guy on staff that did that in NY?

cdcox
09-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Do KC have someone whos job it is to watch down and distance along w/ the clock? Didnt herm have a guy on staff that did that in NY?

Dick F'n Curl, our OC for 2008.

Skip Towne
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Solari needs to go see Ray Farmer.......and bring his play book.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 11:35 AM
No, Herm is not actively calling the plays on Sunday. Herm does assist in the general playbook for the week and the overall scheme. Does Herm call a "cover 2" on Sunday? No, but Gunther does because that is what Herm wants.

Go back and read and look at the Jets offense from 3-4 years ago. KC is very similar at this point. Is Solari the common element or Herm?

Um then how come Gunther is being successfull and Solari isn't?

Herm is not telling Solari to run up the middle on every running play.

Or he is throwing Solari under the bus and Solari is taking it which in turn makes him a bad OC.

Chiefnj2
09-20-2007, 11:58 AM

Because Herm has a clue when it comes to defense and doesn't have a clue when it comes to offense?

petegz28
09-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Because Herm has a clue when it comes to defense and doesn't have a clue when it comes to offense?

I nver see Herm calling plays.

Ok well let's say you are right.

So then Solari just being a bitch and taking it upt he as for and from Herm right? Which makes him a crappy PC.

HemiEd
09-20-2007, 12:01 PM
That is an easy answer. Herm knows more about defense, so his influence with Gun has a better chance to succeed than his influence on the Offense. Does anyone really believe that Gun is still the DC?

Herm is not telling Solari to run up the middle on every running play.
Did Solari learn it from Dick Vermeil or Al Saunders? I don't think so.

Or he is throwing Solari under the bus and Solari is taking it which in turn makes him a bad OC.
Herm's mo is to throw his assisitants under the bus until he is the last guy standing. We should see that start to happen fairly soon if things continue the way they are.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 12:03 PM
That is an easy answer. Herm knows more about defense, so his influence with Gun has a better chance to succeed than his influence on the Offense. Does anyone really believe that Gun is still the DC?

Did Solari learn it from Dick Vermeil or Al Saunders? I don't think so.

Herm's mo is to throw his assisitants under the bus until he is the last guy standing. We should see that start to happen fairly soon if things continue the way they are.

so bottom line then is Solari is a bitch and is taking it upt he ass from herm and smiling as he knowingly watches us suck?

HemiEd
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
so bottom line then is Solari is a bitch and is taking it upt he ass from herm and smiling as he knowingly watches us suck?

I have no inside information here, but I would suspect that Solari is being subordinate to his boss, yes.

Easy 6
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I think the fault at this point is 1/3 Solari, 1/3 Herm and 1/3 the players.

Questionable playcalling such as draws on 3rd and long and all those short 1-2 yard passes - Solari, with Herm's influence.

Lack of continuity - I fault Herm for not making a QB decision earlier and for not playing the starters in the 4th game so they could get some game time experience. I also fault Herm for his soft camps.

Execution - players. Lets face it the OL hasn't been opening holes, the pass protection in the first game was horrible, LJ hasn't gotten his legs yet, Huard isn't a very good QB and the receivers have had lots of drops.

This is the only fair way to look at it IMO.

Nobody, coach or player, has performed the way they should.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
I nver see Herm calling plays.

Ok well let's say you are right.

So then Solari just being a bitch and taking it upt he as for and from Herm right? Which makes him a crappy PC.
why is there such a common theme for head coaches then?

generally as a rule defensive head coaches succeed defensively and offensive head coaches succeed offensively.

now that would only happen if the head coach was influencing the results somehow. If it was just the coordinators then the Head coaches wouldn't even get labeled offense/defense because it wouldn't matter.

nope, whether it's philosophy,play calling or just the way they practice ...... the head coach has a ton of influence on the success of the coordinators under them.

hell ..... the only reason Marty finally succeeded with offense in san diego is because he inherited so much. The O.C.,RB,QB ...... and marty was so desperate to change on offense that he just let Cam Cameron run things.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
the first place bad offensive coaching shows up in with the offensive line.

shortly there after ... the Quarterback

then after the Oline and QB have taken a dump .... the passing game goes into the crapper.

the running game follows.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Who approved? Come forth.
LOL I did....

Hell its not like Solari has much choice... Herm could turn Peyton Manning into Damon Huard given enough time...

there is a bus somewhere warming up for Herm to toss solari under... Just a matter of time, history always repeats itself... This wouldnt be the first time Herm has to do this to save his own pathetic worthless waste of fresh air skin.....

petegz28
09-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I have no inside information here, but I would suspect that Solari is being subordinate to his boss, yes.

Well someone who is going to allow themselves to call bunk plays and then tolerate getting the heat for it is not the kind of guy I want running our O. This is football not a job like we have.

It's kind of like saying if someone is just going to surround themselves with yes men then I won't respect the lot.

RustShack
09-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Solari can do better, he is just limited by Herm.

ClevelandBronco
09-20-2007, 01:20 PM
May I please vote more than once?

KC Tattoo
09-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Did the Cowboys blame their OC before they benched Bledsoe last year?
They turned their whole season around when they went with Romo, just saying our fortunes could be like that.

I think 82% of our offensive lack of production is Huard.

I'm not ready to vote, would like to see QB change first.

Extra Point
09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
If we see 24 or more points scored by the O this weekend, I move that we change the name from PanicPlanet to Solari-Powered- or Circus-Offense- Planet, for at least a day.

I sure hope that we've hit rock-bottom with this offensive scheme and play calling, seeing that the approval rate is 11%.

Thanks.

ClevelandBronco
09-20-2007, 02:13 PM
If we see 24 or more points scored by the O this weekend, I move that we change the name from PanicPlanet to Solari-Powered- or Circus-Offense- Planet, for at least a day...

Arena Planet.

the Talking Can
09-20-2007, 02:16 PM
disapprove, but it isn't clear to me how much he suffers from Herm's idiotic "philosophy"....

HemiEd
09-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Well someone who is going to allow themselves to call bunk plays and then tolerate getting the heat for it is not the kind of guy I want running our O. This is football not a job like we have.

It's kind of like saying if someone is just going to surround themselves with yes men then I won't respect the lot.

Actually, you are wrong, it is a job like we have. The same rules would apply. You go showing your boss up to everybody, see how that works out and get back to me.

Even if Solari fails here, and gets canned or quits. If he ever wants another job in the NFL, in a similar capacity, his treatment of this situation is going to be important to his prospective new boss.

petegz28
09-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Actually, you are wrong, it is a job like we have. The same rules would apply. You go showing your boss up to everybody, see how that works out and get back to me.

Even if Solari fails here, and gets canned or quits. If he ever wants another job in the NFL, in a similar capacity, his treatment of this situation is going to be important to his prospective new boss.

Yes but committing carreer suicide isn't what I call a plan for success either.

Easy 6
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Did the Cowboys blame their OC before they benched Bledsoe last year?
They turned their whole season around when they went with Romo, just saying our fortunes could be like that.

I think 82% of our offensive lack of production is Huard.

I'm not ready to vote, would like to see QB change first.

It very well could change things up & while i agree that Huard isnt playing like he did in 06, i would like to know how you came to the specific percentage of 82.

Fishpicker
09-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I approve because I think Herm is the root problem. Herm is the one who insisted that we ''simplify'' the offense after last year. Herm would stifle the offense regardless of the OC

KC Tattoo
09-20-2007, 02:37 PM
It very well could change things up & while i agree that Huard isnt playing like he did in 06, i would like to know how you came to the specific percentage of 82.

I would like to know how Priest Holmes knows that he is 82%, not 95% not 75%? He just knows. Priest Holmes knows himself better than anyother player that Dick has ever coached (as per Hard Knocks).

FringeNC
09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
How about the same poll, but for Herman f'n Edwards instead.

BigMeatballDave
09-20-2007, 02:51 PM
NO WAY am I blaming Solari with Huard under center.

boogblaster
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Gas-up the bus, start throwing..after about half the coaching staff and half of the office managment becomes perment black-top, the rest will shape-up and try to field a team ...

Extra Point
09-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Bump. This poll will close on 09-23-2007 at 10:04 AM.

greg63
09-22-2007, 02:49 PM
I disapprove

Kaylore
09-22-2007, 02:52 PM
This is Herm's offense. Solari was tutored under Al Saunders. Give credit where credit is due.

Buehler445
09-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I disapporve of the OC performance. Whether or not that is Herm's performance, Solari's performance, Carl's, or Donger's son. It doesn't matter. The job is not getting done. Eventually it will come crashing down on Solari.

It's not up to me to decide whose fault it is. If Solari doesn't suck and Herm is ****ing with him, he's in a bad spot. He can't really go against Herm, but he can't really be held responsible for a moronic inept offense. If I were Solari, I would make demands. Pronto. I would say we WILL start Brodie now. We WILL stretch the defense. Then we WILL run LJ down their damn throats. We WILL run a sound offense under my watch. If you don't like it, kiss my ass. Call your own ****ing plays and I will get NFL Sunday Ticket. And then I would make it very clear to the media and every owner and coach in the NFL that you dealt with having your hand forced for a year and will not run an inept offense for the second straight year. I think that is the only way to save his career, unless he can pull some Norv magic.

If Herm isn't ****ing with him. He blows and deserves to be under the bus.

Realistically, if he was in a decent system, I think he could be a decent OC. But I don't think he is magic. If he is being monkeyed with, the jury is out. If not, he sucks.

BigMeatballDave
09-22-2007, 03:33 PM
I disapporve of the OC performance. Whether or not that is Herm's performance, Solari's performance, Carl's, or Donger's son. It doesn't matter. The job is not getting done. Eventually it will come crashing down on Solari.

It's not up to me to decide whose fault it is. If Solari doesn't suck and Herm is ****ing with him, he's in a bad spot. He can't really go against Herm, but he can't really be held responsible for a moronic inept offense. If I were Solari, I would make demands. Pronto. I would say we WILL start Brodie now. We WILL stretch the defense. Then we WILL run LJ down their damn throats. We WILL run a sound offense under my watch. If you don't like it, kiss my ass. Call your own ****ing plays and I will get NFL Sunday Ticket. And then I would make it very clear to the media and every owner and coach in the NFL that you dealt with having your hand forced for a year and will not run an inept offense for the second straight year. I think that is the only way to save his career, unless he can pull some Norv magic.

If Herm isn't ****ing with him. He blows and deserves to be under the bus.

Realistically, if he was in a decent system, I think he could be a decent OC. But I don't think he is magic. If he is being monkeyed with, the jury is out. If not, he sucks.2 words. Damon. Huard.

Buehler445
09-22-2007, 03:34 PM
2 words. Damon. Huard.

That's why I would demand Brodie or give him my letter of resignation.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 03:36 PM
PUT IN BRODIE!!!

DomerNKC
09-22-2007, 03:37 PM
he is so under qualified for the job. He might be good enough to be oc for an offensive minded coach, but not for herm. For herm he is in way over his head without any help whatsoever.

Buehler445
09-22-2007, 03:41 PM
he is so under qualified for the job. He might be good enough to be oc for an offensive minded coach, but not for herm. For herm he is in way over his head without any help whatsoever.

That could be too. All I know is that this is NOT good for his career. I would be very worried if I were him.