PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs players called out

jjchieffan
09-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Interesting article I found. Goes along with another thread on here.

Chiefs Arenít BadÖ. Just Stupid
By Jon Yoon | September 19th, 2007
E-mail | Print | Share

I would be much happier if the Chiefs were a lousy team. I could handle a loss if the Bears racked up 15 sacks and we had to resort to calling up Casey Printers from Canada to quarterback the last five minutes of the game. But the Chiefs arenít a bad team, which is what makes the first two losses all the more frustrating.

Chiefsí fans should actually be encouraged by what they saw on Sunday. The Chiefsí Achilles heel was supposed to be their offense, but the offense didnít have too much trouble marching down the field against a very stout Chicago defense. It wasnít ability that kept the Chiefs from scoring on Sunday, it was stupidity and carelessness. It was stupidity that popped the ball out of Michael Bennettís hands on a key fourth quarter drive, in which Brodie Croyle marched the team into scoring range. It was carelessness that forced an ill-advised fade pass to Samie Parker in the end zone.

Credit the Bears for playing clutch defense but, my God, how much credit do they really deserve for making those turnovers? It was like the Chiefs wrapped those turnovers up and put a huge, fluffy bow on top.

Which leads me to the reasons why Iím somewhat optimistic for the close of the season. As I have stated from the start, the Chiefs are rebuilding, I donít care who tells me otherwise. I didnít care if the Chiefs came out flat this season as long as they finished the season on a positive note. We are quickly learning that Dwayne Bowe is everything the Chiefs had hoped. While many may criticize Mike Solariís playcalling, I will counter that by saying that I applaud his aggressiveness and willingness to throw on obvious running downsĖit definitely beats his former predictable offensive strategy. The playcalling had some problems but, ultimately, it doesnít matter what plays you call if your players keep making stupid mistakes.

The Chiefs should also be very encouraged by their defense. The defense played well against Houston, especially if you factor in the number of times stupid mistakes on offense placed Houston within scoring range. The defense also played well in Chicago, despite the fact that Devin Hester was given freeway access to field goal range on almost every return. All this happened without Jared Allen.

I know itís easy to get frustrated about the way the Chiefs played, but if you can actually look at this season as a rebuilding effort, you will quickly see that the Chiefs are starting to piece together a pretty decent football team. And so, the Chiefs lost two tough games on the road behind a head coach notorious for losing all of his early starts, and now find themselves an ascending team getting their biggest playmakers on both sides of the ball into full-time action for the first time all season.

Now the Chiefs return home to Arrowhead for the first time in 2007. There are lots of reasons for Chiefsí fans to be optimistic.

And all the Chiefs really have to do is stop being stupid. Itís that simple.

Dartgod
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Link?

bobbything
09-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Nonsense. In this case, stupid=bad. If you're playing stupid, you're a bad team. However, bad doesn't necessarily mean stupid. You can be a bad team and not be stupid.

RustShack
09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Hes right, Huard sucks, START CROYLE!!! (ok he didn't say that, but I still would rather see Croyle in there)

the Talking Can
09-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Rebuilding with Damon Huard?

ok

SNR
09-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Last time I checked, most football players weren't exactly smart.

Coaches are SUPPOSED to be smart, but we've got a couple of geniouses on this team.

CupidStunt
09-20-2007, 01:06 PM
I don't agree with the general premise, but I do agree with the majority of the article.

Coogs
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I really think this Sunday's game is the pivotal game on this years schedule. 7 of our next 10 games are at home. In years past, that would be a good thing.

The crowd is the reason I think this Sundays game is pivotal. The crowd will be there 80,000 strong. But I sense that this will be no ordinary Chiefs home crowd. This years crowd seems to irratated and on edge. If things go well, the crowd will be right behind our team, and things could turn around quickly for the Chiefs this season. (In fact the whole season could hinge on the coin flip. Get the defense on the field first and get the crowd in good spirtis early might be critical.) However, a quick 3-and-out by our offense, and I really expect the Boobirds to start flying from the crowd. Several 3-and-outs... and it could get real ugly. And if we are losing in the 2nd half, I could see the crowd starting to leave just as they did in the preseason games.

I was around for the 70's and 80's. For those of you who were not... let's hope you are not about to go there.

Baby Lee
09-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Nonsense. In this case, stupid=bad. If you're playing stupid, you're a bad team. However, bad doesn't necessarily mean stupid. You can be a bad team and not be stupid.
If you demonstrate you are capable of making plays, but are not executing, you are 100 miles ahead of making the plays you can, but being limited by talent.
You can coach passion and execution. You can't coach speed, touch and instinct.

bobbything
09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
If you demonstrate you are capable of making plays, but are not executing, you are 100 miles ahead of making the plays you can, but being limited by talent.
Yes, but if you have tons of talent on a team, and they're just not executing because they're playing "stupid," and said team goes 4-12, they would be considered a "bad" team; regardless of how much ability is on there.

CupidStunt
09-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I really think this Sunday's game is the pivotal game on this years schedule. 7 of our next 10 games are at home. In years past, that would be a good thing.

The crowd is the reason I think this Sundays game is pivotal. The crowd will be there 80,000 strong. But I sense that this will be no ordinary Chiefs home crowd. This years crowd seems to irratated and on edge. If things go well, the crowd will be right behind our team, and things could turn around quickly for the Chiefs this season. (In fact the whole season could hinge on the coin flip. Get the defense on the field first and get the crowd in good spirtis early might be critical.) However, a quick 3-and-out by our offense, and I really expect the Boobirds to start flying from the crowd. Several 3-and-outs... and it could get real ugly. And if we are losing in the 2nd half, I could see the crowd starting to leave just as they did in the preseason games.

I was around for the 70's and 80's. For those of you who were not... let's hope you are not about to go there.

I VERY much agree with this.

Hog Farmer
09-20-2007, 01:30 PM
This guys a dumbass. What do you expect with a name like Yoon.

StcChief
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Coaches are SUPPOSED to be smart, but we've got a couple of geniouses on this team.

how many coaches were players too?

Micjones
09-20-2007, 01:39 PM
JY's mostly right.

What's so maddening about the first two losses is the fact that this team was equipped to have won at least one of them (maybe both). Chiefs players have been the biggest Chief killers thus far.

If we learn to play smarter football we'll be a good football team.

Hog Farmer
09-20-2007, 01:45 PM
You spelled won wrong. Yoon lover.

talastan
09-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree with most of what he said. Would it not be for stupid penalties some of last Sunday's drives would've gone alot further. Hell we would've probably won the stinking game. Mental errors like the penalties, the blown blocking assignments,etc. All of that is the player's job to do. Yes the coach is supposed to prepare the team, but alot of the issues on offense are by proven veterans and they need to get their heads in the game!! NOW!

Phobia
09-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't agree with the general premise, but I do agree with the majority of the article.

Wait a minute. Hold on.

BigRedChief
09-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Yeppers, The first 3 and out (especially if its the first drive) the boos will rain down on the players and Herm. It's going to get real ugly inside of Arrowhead regardless of whether they are winning with defense if the offense struggles.

Calcountry
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeppers, The first 3 and out (especially if its the first drive) the boos will rain down on the players and Herm. It's going to get real ugly inside of Arrowhead regardless of whether they are winning with defense if the offense struggles.Honeymoon is over Herm, even Htismaque has turned on you.

Can't wait to see that Herm-bone offense at home.

crazycoffey
09-20-2007, 02:36 PM

Yeah, me too. I agree with the entire article, except a few paragraphs.

:spock:

FAX
09-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I agree with the premise, but not the actual words.

Downfield Damon founded the Mensa organization when he was 2 years old.

FAX

boogblaster
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
He's right..thats why the Pats are always in the hunt..they play smart..not the best talent, but smart players ....

Chiefs Pantalones
09-20-2007, 03:15 PM
He's right..thats why the Pats are always in the hunt..they play smart..not the best talent, but smart players ....

And they cheat. lol

Fairplay
09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
And they cheat. lol

Vanilla, did beer me stop playing hard to get or is he opening up to you?

He might be one of those high maintenance types, be careful. lol

Chiefs Pantalones
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Vanilla, did beer me stop playing hard to get or is he opening up to you?

He might be one of those high maintenance types, be careful. lol

He wants it lol

ewww

headsnap
09-20-2007, 03:51 PM
two words:

Jeff George ;)

Baby Lee
09-20-2007, 04:09 PM
two words:

Jeff George ;)
Notwithstanding him being our personal bitch, he had some points of enviable productivity, not with much success in Atlanta, but a few decent years in Minn. Who knows if he had been given a situation like Favre enjoyed in GB?

jjchieffan
09-20-2007, 07:48 PM
he had some points of enviable productivity, not with much success in Atlanta, but a few decent years in Minn. Who knows if he had been given a situation like Favre enjoyed in GB?

Fatlock is that you? Quit pimping your boy on here. ROFL

CoMoChief
09-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Interesting article I found. Goes along with another thread on here.

Chiefs Arenít BadÖ. Just Stupid
By Jon Yoon | September 19th, 2007
E-mail | Print | Share

I would be much happier if the Chiefs were a lousy team. I could handle a loss if the Bears racked up 15 sacks and we had to resort to calling up Casey Printers from Canada to quarterback the last five minutes of the game. But the Chiefs arenít a bad team, which is what makes the first two losses all the more frustrating.

Chiefsí fans should actually be encouraged by what they saw on Sunday. The Chiefsí Achilles heel was supposed to be their offense, but the offense didnít have too much trouble marching down the field against a very stout Chicago defense. It wasnít ability that kept the Chiefs from scoring on Sunday, it was stupidity and carelessness. It was stupidity that popped the ball out of Michael Bennettís hands on a key fourth quarter drive, in which Brodie Croyle marched the team into scoring range. It was carelessness that forced an ill-advised fade pass to Samie Parker in the end zone.

Credit the Bears for playing clutch defense but, my God, how much credit do they really deserve for making those turnovers? It was like the Chiefs wrapped those turnovers up and put a huge, fluffy bow on top.

Which leads me to the reasons why Iím somewhat optimistic for the close of the season. As I have stated from the start, the Chiefs are rebuilding, I donít care who tells me otherwise. I didnít care if the Chiefs came out flat this season as long as they finished the season on a positive note. We are quickly learning that Dwayne Bowe is everything the Chiefs had hoped. While many may criticize Mike Solariís playcalling, I will counter that by saying that I applaud his aggressiveness and willingness to throw on obvious running downsĖit definitely beats his former predictable offensive strategy. The playcalling had some problems but, ultimately, it doesnít matter what plays you call if your players keep making stupid mistakes.

The Chiefs should also be very encouraged by their defense. The defense played well against Houston, especially if you factor in the number of times stupid mistakes on offense placed Houston within scoring range. The defense also played well in Chicago, despite the fact that Devin Hester was given freeway access to field goal range on almost every return. All this happened without Jared Allen.

I know itís easy to get frustrated about the way the Chiefs played, but if you can actually look at this season as a rebuilding effort, you will quickly see that the Chiefs are starting to piece together a pretty decent football team. And so, the Chiefs lost two tough games on the road behind a head coach notorious for losing all of his early starts, and now find themselves an ascending team getting their biggest playmakers on both sides of the ball into full-time action for the first time all season.

Now the Chiefs return home to Arrowhead for the first time in 2007. There are lots of reasons for Chiefsí fans to be optimistic.

And all the Chiefs really have to do is stop being stupid. Itís that simple.

Gretz is that you?

Toad
09-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Excellent point.

jjchieffan
09-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Gretz is that you?
ROFL