PDA

View Full Version : A Question Of Color

Count Zarth
09-20-2007, 08:35 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/682029.html

I tried to tell you, Herm. It was about this time last year, after the Chiefs had been thumped by the Cincinnati Bengals in the home opener, that I wrote: ďDonít wear the white jerseys at home again. Ever.Ē

By now, youíve probably heard. The Chiefs will run out from the Arrowhead Stadium tunnel on Sunday adorned in shimmering, gleaming white jerseys. And for what reason?

The heat.

Thatís it. The Chiefs wonít be awarded five points for field goals or 10 for touchdowns for playing in white jerseys. Theyíll merely be gifted a little extra protection from the sunís rays.

If thatís so important, why donít the Chiefs install some nice shade awnings along the home sideline? Maybe have the Arrowhead Stadium waiters serve some nice, cool little drinks with umbrellas? Heck, maybe Carl Peterson can get that Coors Light train to become a permanent fixture at Arrowhead Stadium.

This is wrong. This is 47 years of tradition (even the Dallas Texans wore red at home), flushed down the toilet simply because of the temperature. Itís not even going to be all that hot this weekend in Kansas City, and the mercury wonít come close to the level it does in Miami, where they wear white annually at home for a good reason.

Complaining about what color jersey the Chiefs wear at home might seem silly, but to some people, it really is a big deal. The sight of Chiefs players running around in red helmets and jerseys is almost as addictive as Gates barbecue to the people of Kansas City. I believe thereís a real psychological effect to it. People are drawn to it.

Chiefs fans are already disgruntled with the way this team is being run and upset with an 0-2 start. I canít imagine the 80,000 who show up at Arrowhead Stadium this Sunday will be pleased when they see 46 White Knights run onto the field. Thereís already plenty of reasons for these people to boo the home team. Why give them another?

Does wearing white in what is projected to be an 87-degree, partly-cloudy day really bestow that much of an advantage on the home team? Looking over the first two weeks of the NFL schedule, 11 teams wore white at home. Those teams went 6-5 in those 11 games.

But looking at the scores of these games (Patriots 38, Jets 14, for example), one hardly gets the feeling that wearing white was a key factor in the final outcome. It certainly didnít help the Dolphins a week ago, as they deflected the sunís rays in an incredible display of temperature-conscious football while losing to the Dallas Cowboys by 17 points.

Tradition aside, hereís what I really donít like about wearing white at home Ė it sends a message to your team that says, ďWe arenít good enough to win on our own merits. We need outside help, so weíre going to make our opponents sweat as much as possible.Ē

Hereís a better idea Ė mind over matter. Isnít Edwards always saying ďItís the will, not the skill?Ē I think the head coach should defer to his defensive coordinator on the issue of heat. During training camp, HBO captured Gunther Cunningham barking at his players on the subject:

ďItís f****** hot, so what? Donít worry about how hot it is, worry about what weíre going to become.Ē

What a novel concept. Maybe the Chiefs should worry about stopping Adrian Peterson and blocking Minnesotaís defensive line today, instead of how hot it is. Dozens of great Chiefs teams walloped their opponents in home openers over the past half-century. Most of those teams were clad in bright, beautiful red jerseys. Just like the fans in the stands Ė the ones who make up the Sea of Red, not the Sea of Slightly Grass-Stained White.

Can you really picture Tamba Hali calling up Larry Johnson this week and merrily announcing that they didnít have to suffer in red jerseys this Sunday? I canít either.

Thereís still time, Herm. Call up Brad Childress and tell the Vikings to bring their white jerseys. The home team wears red in Kansas City.

CoMoChief
09-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Christ man calm the **** down, it's a ****ing jersey.

digger
09-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Why do we call it "RED FRIDAY"? Why do we raise the WHITE FLAG? Wait RED + WHITE....I got it PINK FRIDAY!

Scorp
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Seriously, the jersey won't affect how shitty we are going to play. That is going to happen reguardless.

splatbass
09-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I have a hard time getting worked up over this. I can't believe how angry some people in the other thread are about it. It is not a big deal. Many teams do this. Some people need to get a life.

PinkFloyd
09-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Watch the Chiefs come back out on the field wearing new Gold and Red uniforms... Could just be a distraction tatic...

But I seriously doubt it...

Stinger
09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
I have a hard time getting worked up over this. I can't believe how angry some people in the other thread are about it. It is not a big deal. Many teams do this. Some people need to get a life.

But it is chance to cry outrage against Herm and spew vile at the evil lord emperor Carl. We must whine and complain about something, or somthing like that.

BigRedChief
09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Wellll I was pissed about them last year. It's a sea of Red. It's Red Friday. I'm pissed about it and I have a life. It is a big deal. Were you there last year at the opener? The crowd hated it. They aren't going to like it any better this year.

Halfcan
09-20-2007, 09:31 PM
The Chiefs are Pussys if they come out of that tunnel in white.

splatbass
09-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Wellll I was pissed about them last year. It's a sea of Red. It's Red Friday. I'm pissed about it and I have a life. It is a big deal. Were you there last year at the opener? The crowd hated it. They aren't going to like it any better this year.

Boo hoo.

splatbass
09-20-2007, 09:45 PM
But it is chance to cry outrage against Herm and spew vile at the evil lord emperor Carl. We must whine and complain about something, or somthing like that.

I know. I've been here almost since the beginning of the CP and I've never seen the amount of hate and anger that I see now (and we have had teams just as bad or worse before). I can understand people not liking the white jerseys at home, but the anger is way out of proportion for something like this.

DJJasonp
09-20-2007, 09:45 PM

You know...I'm starting to think you're right....I think psychologically, you're telling the other team that you're not confident that you can beat them (in any jersey)....and you need to pull all kinds of sh*t out of the hat to try to pull out a victory.

Another bad herm move.

Count Zarth
09-20-2007, 09:50 PM

Pussies, too.

Phobia
09-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Gosh, I really need to remember what color shirt I wore last Saturday when I was tearing up the field. It would be terrible if I forgot. There's just no way I could perform well in a different color.

Dartgod
09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Actually, I care about it considerably less than I did last year.

TinyEvel
09-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Dude, nice play on the exponential attention-whoring.

Posting a WPI article AND on a subject that you ALREADY STARTED A THREAD ON!

double neg rep.
:shake:

Bob Dole
09-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Watch the Chiefs come back out on the field wearing new Gold and Red uniforms... Could just be a distraction tatic...

Gold Lame' seems somehow fitting.

Redcoats58
09-21-2007, 01:01 AM
I agree, Im not as pissed as some but I am bothered. As others have stated its Red Friday and its the home opener, wear the whites any other sunday just not the home opener. There is something about tradition, you just dont f*** with it!

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Heck I might wear a white Chiefs shirt to the game on Sunday. I sweated my balls off in red last year at the 49ers game and it wasnt even as hot as Sunday will be.

Fruit Ninja
09-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Boo hoo.
What he said.

88TG88
09-21-2007, 01:13 AM
We're gonna suck no matter what we wear

blueballs
09-21-2007, 01:17 AM
White after Labor day
Herm will probably wear tube socks and flip flops

Direckshun
09-21-2007, 01:18 AM
I did find it amusing what Herm said about the middle east.

Yes, Herm, it's quite warm there.

Bob Dole
09-21-2007, 01:26 AM
White after Labor day
Herm will probably wear tube socks and flip flops

And Chris Crocker will offer a spoken word rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

Direckshun
09-21-2007, 01:43 AM
And Chris Crocker will offer a spoken word rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.
Leave America alone?

keg in kc
09-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Great. The Kansas City Kotex are back. All we need is a string coming out of the helmets.

Anyway, I assume it's not about keeping KC cool, but, rather, trying to get make it more uncomfortable for the Viqueens.

orange
09-21-2007, 03:38 AM
"Dozens of great Chiefs teams walloped their opponents in home openers over the past half-decade. Most ..."

Half-century maybe?

ILChief
09-21-2007, 05:14 AM
if the color of their uniforms make them play better or worse, then this team is worse than I thought.

OnTheWarpath58
09-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Anyway, I assume it's not about keeping KC cool, but, rather, trying to get make it more uncomfortable for the Viqueens.

Finally, someone gets it.

And I'm not sure where he's getting 87 degrees from.

Forecast is for Sunny and 90. Which means it will be near 95 on the field.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USMO0460?dayNum=2&from=weekend

I could give a shit if they come out wearing orange and ****ing green, as long as they win the game.

Skip Towne
09-21-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm sure our boys will be tastefully dressed on Sunday. And not look so much like a lollipop.

kc1977
09-21-2007, 06:26 AM
What a stupid article.

BigRedChief
09-21-2007, 06:33 AM
I agree, Im not as pissed as some but I am bothered. As others have stated its Red Friday and its the home opener, wear the whites any other sunday just not the home opener. There is something about tradition, you just dont f*** with it!
And you allow the visiting team to wear their home uniforms in your stadium. That ain't right.

Simply Red
09-21-2007, 06:45 AM
don't care.

KcMizzou
09-21-2007, 06:55 AM
I personally prefer the red too, but some people really, really need to get a grip. LMAO

KcMizzou
09-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Wellll I was pissed about them last year. It's a sea of Red. It's Red Friday. I'm pissed about it and I have a life. It is a big deal. Were you there last year at the opener? The crowd hated it. They aren't going to like it any better this year.BigWhiteChief?

:)

Cochise
09-21-2007, 06:59 AM
The cause is just, the article ghey

BigRedChief
09-21-2007, 07:05 AM
BigWhiteChief?

:)
http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/pix/yuck.gif

ILChief
09-21-2007, 07:07 AM
And you allow the visiting team to wear their home uniforms in your stadium. That ain't right.

well the two opponents we've faced have fared well wearing white in their home openers

Chiefnj2
09-21-2007, 07:10 AM
I have yet to read or hear a post game interview where a player said "Thank goodness we wore our white jerseys it made all the difference today".

Count Zarth
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
And I'm not sure where he's getting 87 degrees from.

Forecast is for Sunny and 90. Which means it will be near 95 on the field.

Forecast changed.

BigRedChief
09-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Forecast changed.
The current weather forescast for Sunday. Not exactly burning up middle of the summer hot. Pretty normal temps for this time of the year.
Noon
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/31x24/03.gif (http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/31x24/03.gif)
81į F
Partly Sunny

3pm
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/31x24/03.gif (http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/31x24/03.gif)
86į F
Partly Sunny

Extra Point
09-21-2007, 08:10 AM
If you're going to boo the Chiefs for wearing white when they come out of the tunnel, please get your head examined.

Go, Chiefs!

BigRedChief
09-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Shaggy Shane was listening to 610 and 610 is reporting that King Carl has overruled Herm and they will wear Red Jerseys for the home opener.

Anyone else hear that?

Count Zarth
09-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Best thing Carl has done in years.

Skip Towne
09-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Shaggy Shane was listening to 610 and 610 is reporting that King Carl has overruled Herm and they will wear Red Jerseys for the home opener.

Anyone else hear that?
If this is true then Herm is truly a foot shuffling porter. Carl really is calling the shots. A rebellion is in order.

Count Zarth
09-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Carl probably read my column. No problem, Carl. I'm here for you.

BigRedChief
09-21-2007, 09:04 AM
If this is true then Herm is truly a foot shuffling porter. Carl really is calling the shots. A rebellion is in order.Creating the whole "Arrowhead" experience has been King Carl's baby. He has done a masterful job at making game days special for us Chief fans. Last years opener excitement was dimmed a little because of the uniforms. King Carl is in charge of the "game day" festivities. Do the color of uniforms effect the "game day" experience? It certaintly did last year.

Does this make Herm look like a foot shuffling porter bowing to King Carl. IMO, not on this issue.