PDA

View Full Version : Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Planetman
09-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Woman With Fake Bomb Arrested at Airport
Police: MIT Student Arrested at Boston's Logan Airport With Fake Bomb Strapped to Her Chest

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/h_mit_070921_ms.jpg
BOSTON Sep 21, 2007 (AP)

A college student with a fake bomb strapped to her chest was arrested at gunpoint Friday at Logan International Airport, officials said.

Star Simpson, 19, had a computer circuit board, wiring and a putty that later turned out to be Play-Doh in plain view over a black hooded sweat shirt she was wearing, said State Police Maj. Scott Pare, the commanding officer at the airport.

After a Massachusetts Port Authority official notified State Police about 8 a.m., troopers tracked Simpson down outside Terminal C, where they arrested her and later determined the device was a fake.

"She's extremely lucky she followed the instructions or deadly force would have been used," Pare told The Associated Press. "And she's lucky to be in a cell as opposed to the morgue."

Simpson is a Massachusetts Institute of Technology sophomore from Hawaii, officials said.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3634458

Claynus
09-21-2007, 09:50 AM
How can anyone be that dumb?

pikesome
09-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm sure she's trying making a point about the evil Government or some such.

More like a point about stupidity though.

seclark
09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
i'd hit it.
with a taser.

pikesome
09-21-2007, 09:53 AM
i'd hit it.
with a taser.

There's probably a line already forming.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 09:54 AM
what the hell is wrong with people?

Fish
09-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Cue the attention whore pics.....

StcChief
09-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Attention whore. wanting to see if she could get thru security.

MIT student but not really to bright.

Planetman
09-21-2007, 10:16 AM

Pssst. It's properly typed, "MIT student but not really too bright." :D

Frazod
09-21-2007, 10:16 AM

My money's on FORMER MIT student.

Brilliant way to trash your future, you stupid bitch. :shake:

Hog Rider
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
She'll likely get a TV show now!

Planetman
09-21-2007, 10:30 AM
She'll likely get a TV show now!
Survivor: The Airport Edition

Who's <strike>Line</strike> Bomb Is It Anyway

Desperate <strike>Housewives</strike> Attention Whores

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 10:31 AM
This is stupid, but it does bring up a good point. I bring my laptop on planes. My son brings his play-doh (in his Cars movie bag). We have the potential for the same "bomb."

Planetman
09-21-2007, 10:32 AM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/h_mit_070921_ms.jpg
I AM NOT SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER!

Planetman
09-21-2007, 10:33 AM
This is stupid, but it does bring up a good point. I bring my laptop on planes. My son brings his play-doh (in his Cars movie bag). We have the potential for the same "bomb."
Slap the play-doh on a circuit board and make it LOOK like a bomb. See what happens.

BIG_DADDY
09-21-2007, 10:35 AM
MIT student? WTF, her future was so bright she had to wear shades. She might as well have blown herself up.

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Slap the play-doh on a circuit board and make it LOOK like a bomb. See what happens.That's just it; I have no idea what a "bomb" looks like. Is it like the cartoon one depicted at the airport? Certainly the circuit board doesn't look anything like that.

I have no problem with her being detained, thrown in jail, or whatever. But to claim that deadly force could have been used for a circuit board and play-doh seems pretty stupid to me.

seclark
09-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I have no problem with her being detained, thrown in jail, or whatever. But to claim that deadly force could have been used for a circuit board and play-doh seems pretty stupid to me.

not me...an airport's not the place to f@ck around and play a joke like this.

pikesome
09-21-2007, 10:47 AM
That's just it; I have no idea what a "bomb" looks like. Is it like the cartoon one depicted at the airport? Certainly the circuit board doesn't look anything like that.

The problem with people who strap bombs to their chest is that they, usually, don't let you decide if it's real or not before they detonate it. I can't come up with a situation where shooting her in the head would have been the wrong action in a situation like this. It's much like waving a prop pistol at a cop, you can't get too upset if he uses deadly force.

Planetman
09-21-2007, 10:47 AM
That's just it; I have no idea what a "bomb" looks like. Is it like the cartoon one depicted at the airport? Certainly the circuit board doesn't look anything like that.

Bomb
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/prussell/images/bomb2.jpg

Not a Bomb
http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/m/l/mlo10/UR50/FIFTY/play-doh.jpg

Uh oh ... Ummmm ... I dunno ...
http://www.physics.udel.edu/~watson/scen103/images/play-doh-expt1.jpg

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 10:51 AM
not me...an airport's not the place to f@ck around and play a joke like this.
I agree completely. I'm just curious what else someone will mistake for a bomb and then start firing.

InChiefsHell
09-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm sure her folks are proud...:rolleyes:

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 10:52 AM
The problem with people who strap bombs to their chest is that they, usually, don't let you decide if it's real or not before they detonate it. I can't come up with a situation where shooting her in the head would have been the wrong action in a situation like this. It's much like waving a prop pistol at a cop, you can't get too upset if he uses deadly force.How about a PSP with duct tape on the back. Shoot or don't shoot?

Lzen
09-21-2007, 10:56 AM

I know you like to play devil's advocate, but surely you can't be this stupid.

Lzen
09-21-2007, 10:58 AM
How about a PSP with duct tape on the back. Shoot or don't shoot?

It's really simple. If the airport security act as if they think you might be carrying a bomb and they have their guns drawn, you do what they tell you to do. If you ignore their commands, they will probably shoot and kill you.

pikesome
09-21-2007, 10:59 AM
How about a PSP with duct tape on the back. Shoot or don't shoot?

I'm not sure that looks like a bomb. Play-doh stuck to a circuit board is a bit more worrisome.

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 11:01 AM
I know you like to play devil's advocate, but surely you can't be this stupid.I certainly am playing devil's advocate because I'd like to know exactly what gets you shot. Is it the placement that is problematic? Can someone bring a circuit board on a plane as long as it's not strapped to your chest? Essentially, we're talking about isomorphic situations, outside of placement. Is placement of the objects enough to get you shot?

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure that looks like a bomb. Play-doh stuck to a circuit board is a bit more worrisome.What if the duct-taped PSP is "strapped" to your chest?

Donger
09-21-2007, 11:03 AM
I certainly am playing devil's advocate because I'd like to know exactly what gets you shot. Is it the placement that is problematic? Can someone bring a circuit board on a plane as long as it's not strapped to your chest? Essentially, we're talking about isomorphic situations, outside of placement. Is placement of the objects enough to get you shot?

Not complying with the demands of airport security will get you shot.

She did comply. Therefore, she was not shot.

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Not complying with the demands of airport security will get you shot.

She did comply. Therefore, she was not shot.I see, but I don't understand how "luck" gets into the equation.

pikesome
09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
What if the duct-taped PSP is "strapped" to your chest?

Depends on the suspects behavior. If someone did that and the Fuzz told them to "get down" or whatever the proper command is and they grabbed for it, yea. Strapping anything to your chest doesn't sound like a good idea in an airport. It's not like she was buying groceries or getting her nails done, the airport isn't the place to be screwing around.

Cochise
09-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm sure if deadly force had been used we'd have a thread in DC focusing outrage about it.

Donger
09-21-2007, 11:13 AM
I see, but I don't understand how "luck" gets into the equation.

She's lucky that she chose not to continue being a retart and the recipient of a double-tap to the head.

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 11:16 AM
She's lucky that she chose not to continue being a retart and the recipient of a double-tap to the head.Explain how that has anything to do with luck. I have a better understanding of the whole shooting thing, but I don't see how even a colloquial understanding of luck has much to do with this. Her choice was based on luck?

pikesome
09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Explain how that has anything to do with luck. I have a better understanding of the whole shooting thing, but I don't see how even a colloquial understanding of luck has much to do with this. Her choice was based on luck?

Her decision making up to that point is suspect. It's hard to assume that she would make the right choice without a little luck.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 11:18 AM
I certainly am playing devil's advocate because I'd like to know exactly what gets you shot. Is it the placement that is problematic? Can someone bring a circuit board on a plane as long as it's not strapped to your chest? Essentially, we're talking about isomorphic situations, outside of placement. Is placement of the objects enough to get you shot?

It's going to be based more on the percieved threat of severe bodily injury or death to others (real threat or not).

Donger
09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Explain how that has anything to do with luck. I have a better understanding of the whole shooting thing, but I don't see how even a colloquial understanding of luck has much to do with this. Her choice was based on luck?

She's lucky that the cops followed procedure.

TrebMaxx
09-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I bet she doesn't shave her legs.

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 11:42 AM
She's lucky that the cops followed procedure.That's what I was afraid he meant.

Good enough.

Lzen
09-21-2007, 11:51 AM
That's what I was afraid he meant.

Good enough.

I'm guessing that's not what was insinuated. It appears to me that he meant to phrase it like this:

"She's extremely wise that she followed the instructions or deadly force would have been used"

That is to say nothing about how she was extremely unwise to even pull something like this in the first place.

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm guessing that's not what was insinuated. It appears to me that he meant to phrase it like this:

"She's extremely wise that she followed the instructions or deadly force would have been used"

That is to say nothing about how she was extremely unwise to even pull something like this in the first place.
Why would anyone equate wisdom to luck?

Thig Lyfe
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Who's <strike>Line</strike> Bomb Is It Anyway

It's "whose".

Planetman
09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
It's "whose".
So it is.

Whose <strike>Line</strike> Bomb Is It Anyway

:)

Micjones
09-21-2007, 12:01 PM
With this administration's assault on our freedoms this was done in bad taste.

pikesome
09-21-2007, 12:05 PM
With this administration's assault on our freedoms this was done in bad taste.

?

Bad taste by who?

Phobia
09-21-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm guessing this is somehow George Bush's fault.

HonestChieffan
09-21-2007, 12:10 PM
The hair says "Stupid" regardless of the stupid fake bomb.

Phobia
09-21-2007, 12:13 PM
I'll bet it's been hard living up to a given name like "Star" so she took the easy way out.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 12:34 PM
She's lucky that the cops followed procedure.

please, pot stiring aside, I can't tell you that they did or didn't here.... If she made any agressive comments or moves and they made her head a canoe, it would have been procedure too. Hence she's lucky to be alive.

mikey23545
09-21-2007, 01:05 PM

There may be no one else on the Planet that posts stuff as idiotic as this.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-21-2007, 01:20 PM
There may be no one else on the planet that posts stuff as idiotic as this.
FYPFY

Pitt Gorilla
09-21-2007, 01:55 PM
There may be no one else on the Planet that posts stuff as idiotic as this.Please explain what was idiotic about that post. Seriously, address specific points if you can. How is the potential not the same?

I realize you posted that to make yourself feel better, but I think you should at least back up the claim.

pikesome
09-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Picture of the jacket:
http://boingboing.net/images/cfa4827569_20070921device3.jpg

Maybe the gene pool would have been better off...

Jamie
09-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Picture of the jacket:
http://boingboing.net/images/cfa4827569_20070921device3.jpg

Maybe the gene pool would have been better off...

It looks like she's just some goofy nerd who wanted to put LEDs on her shirt, not someone who was trying to fool anyone into thinking she had a bomb.

pikesome
09-21-2007, 03:03 PM
It looks like she's just some goofy nerd who wanted to put LEDs on her shirt, not someone who was trying to fool anyone into thinking she had a bomb.

That's what I got from a website that had people who claim to know her. That the jacket was just something she wore around and wore to the airport to pick up a friend. Stupidity and not thinking seems to be the issue.

DeepSouth
09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
This is one smart bitch. In two months she'll get $2M for posing in playboy and never have to work again.

runnercyclist
09-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Extremely intelligent people can be very stupid.

Bwana
09-22-2007, 08:10 AM
It sounds like she was one wrong move away from a Darwin Award.

Jilly
09-22-2007, 08:14 AM
?

Bad taste by who?

it's "whom" ;)