PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Question

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I am asking here for exposure, if the powers that be which to move it, I'll understand.

My father in-law has the chance to buy an older Hohner Electric Guitar. I have some pictures of it and it looks like it's in excellent shape (like 15-20 years old) but only know that Hohner isn't exactly the "best of the best", from what I've heard. I want to know more from the planet poster that knows more than I about Hohner, anyway....

The other bad news is I don't know the model.
Pics in next post.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Braincase
09-21-2007, 10:26 AM
I've bought crap guitars that played well and felt good in my hands, and avoided name-brand axes that felt like crap. It's very subjective, and you have get your hands on it before you make a decision. SOmetimes a good tech can make a mediocre axe sound like something from the Gibson Custom Shop.

Planetman
09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Meh. No thanks. I'll keep my Strat.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm not trying to sell it, I'm asking for him, should he buy it?

Planetman
09-21-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm not trying to sell it, I'm asking for him, should he buy it?
Unless you can let one of us pick it up, check the neck, play it, check the tone, etc., you're not going to get a good opinion.

shakesthecat
09-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Unless you can let one of us pick it up, check the neck, play it, check the tone, etc., you're not going to get a good opinion.

Yep

From the looks of it, it might be worth about $200, or maybe a little more

The few Hohner's I've played were average at best.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 10:43 AM

it would probably be better than mine..... :shrug:
He's picked it up and been playing it yesterday and has it until sat.

Harley keeps their value pretty well, much better than other bikes, so I'm going for more feedback of that variety.

The guitar is 15-20 years old, still in good shape, and the seller obviously thinks it's like a collectors item, since he's asking $300. I don't collect guitars, and am just learning to play an acustic, I wouldn't buy it unless it made me cream my jeans everytime I played, but that's me.

I just don't want him taken advantage of, and am looking for information to give informed feedback, since he's asking my opinion.

Dayze
09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I would pass on it.
For $200 it's average, to below average and not worth it.

You can score a way better guitar in the news papers etc...
I got a late 1970's Yamaha w/ case for like $220 in near mint condition in 1995; still the best sounding acoustic I have (I have a Michael Kelly, and Martin). My dad has the exact same Yamaha model that he bought new in 1979 and in some ways it sounds better than his hand made $4k Huss & Dalton. if you can find a late 70's or early '80's Yamaha, they are excellent guitars.

As others have mentioned, it's very subjective. For the money,however, I think you cang et a better value with regard to quality and tonality vs. cost.

Hope this helps!

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Yep

From the looks of it, it might be worth about $200, or maybe a little more

The few Hohner's I've played were average at best.

thank you, I hadn't even heard of them for guitars, I thought they only made harmonicas.

Dayze
09-21-2007, 10:46 AM
and the seller obviously thinks it's like a collectors item, since he's asking $300. I

I think it's safe to say, those guitars are not collectors items.

a 1945 Martin; 1958 Strat = collectors item.

The seller may be unrealisitc in his asking price.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I think it's safe to say, those guitars are not collectors items.

a 1945 Martin; 1958 Strat = collectors item.

The seller may be unrealisitc in his asking price.

That's the thought I've been starting to form myself. I've been on their website and browsed through E-bay. Both with little luck.

Thanks for the input, if anyone thinks differently, speak up please....

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 10:54 AM
My main question is this, is the guitar a set neck or bolt on?

*set neck is glued into the body, bolt on has a metal plate where the neck and body connects. If it's a set neck it would be worth more, but like $250.

Ugly yet cool looking guitar.

petegz28
09-21-2007, 10:58 AM
The best guitar I ever owned was a Kramer Zx30H, about a $250 guitar. No locking bridge. Played so much better than the two I have now including the one I paid over $1400 for. So it just all depends on the guitar itself.

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I'd also like to add when the Hohners were being made in Germany. They used to make Acoustics that were handmade and made w/ solid tops that aged very very nicely. I've only seen/heard one and the owner refuses to let it go.

Hohner did at one time make decent guitars. They just ended up getting bought out by too many companies to where it was just a name.

Dayze
09-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I guess you could play it; etc see how it performs and compar that feeling to a new guitar; say a $300 Mexican made Fender Strat.

nothing worse that dropping $ on a guitar that is flawed in either the bridge; nut, neck bow/twist etc..that require soem repairs.

grab teh serial number off the guitar; you can usually look up online the date/year it was made; at least get an idea of A. is the guitar as old as he says it is, and B. find out what they were giong for new etc.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 11:01 AM
My main question is this, is the guitar a set neck or bolt on?

*set neck is glued into the body, bolt on has a metal plate where the neck and body connects. If it's a set neck it would be worth more, but like $250.

Ugly yet cool looking guitar.

good question about the neck, here's anothe pic he sent me, looks like bolted on?

petegz28
09-21-2007, 11:03 AM
good question about the neck, here's anothe pic he sent me, looks like bolted on?

Typical Les Paul knock-off. I'd pay $150 tops if the thing is in good condition.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 11:04 AM
I guess you could play it; etc see how it performs and compar that feeling to a new guitar; say a $300 Mexican made Fender Strat.

nothing worse that dropping $ on a guitar that is flawed in either the bridge; nut, neck bow/twist etc..that require soem repairs.

grab teh serial number off the guitar; you can usually look up online the date/year it was made; at least get an idea of A. is the guitar as old as he says it is, and B. find out what they were giong for new etc.

He said he couldn't find the serial number (my father in-law) and he's had it a couple days to play it, said he likes the sound and such, feels in real good shape and he's been wanting an electric.

I don't want him screwed over in the long run, I mean if he likes it and it plays well for him I already think $300 is high for it, but it's his money. Conversely, if it's a crap brand.....

I'm also complexed that he can't find a serial number or anything on it for the model.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Typical Les Paul knock-off. I'd pay $150 tops if the thing is in good condition.

so I can tell him the bolt neck is a bad thing.... any reason to that?

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
I've worked in music stores and work on guitars on my spare time. If he gets it...$150 tops.

Though honestly...wouldn't waste your time.

There are a lot of really awesome Japanese Les Paul knock offs (sure some are illegal!) that have set necks for a general decent price (more so if you found it in say a pawn shop and they don't know what they had.) look up guitars on ebay by searching for Les Paul Japan or MIJ (Made in Japan) and he could probably find some really cool stuff.

Greco made some cool set neck Les Paul copies. Some people ask way too much for them thinking they're worth a grand...and they kind of are as far as craftsmanship, materials and age. But at that price you can just buy a real Gibson used.

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Bolt on necks aren't bad things (fender has made them that way for years.) It's just a cheaper way of making electrics (as well as easier to fix if there are anyproblems w/ a neck.) however when you want a les paul. You want a set neck just because it helps w/ the sustain of the guitar.

At the end of the day it's a matter of taste. But if a les paul even a copy is known for sustain. Why use a bolt on neck?

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 11:14 AM
I've worked in music stores and work on guitars on my spare time. If he gets it...$150 tops.

Though honestly...wouldn't waste your time.

There are a lot of really awesome Japanese Les Paul knock offs (sure some are illegal!) that have set necks for a general decent price (more so if you found it in say a pawn shop and they don't know what they had.) look up guitars on ebay by searching for Les Paul Japan or MIJ (Made in Japan) and he could probably find some really cool stuff.

Greco made some cool set neck Les Paul copies. Some people ask way too much for them thinking they're worth a grand...and they kind of are as far as craftsmanship, materials and age. But at that price you can just buy a real Gibson used.

thanks for the tips, I'll share them. I am still slightly confused on the set neck vs bolt neck. I thought bolt necks were more secure and better to have.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Bolt on necks aren't bad things (fender has made them that way for years.) It's just a cheaper way of making electrics (as well as easier to fix if there are anyproblems w/ a neck.) however when you want a les paul. You want a set neck just because it helps w/ the sustain of the guitar.

At the end of the day it's a matter of taste. But if a les paul even a copy is known for sustain. Why use a bolt on neck?

I'm catching on, thanks.

petegz28
09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
so I can tell him the bolt neck is a bad thing.... any reason to that?

It's not that it's a bad thing it's a cheap guitar thing. Most guitars under $1k are bolted on in some form. The other ones are what you call a "neck-through-body" which means basically the whole thing is made out of 1 piece of wood.

$150 and as long as the neck isn't warped and the overall condition is good you got a ok deal.

mcan
09-21-2007, 11:16 AM
I teach guitar lessons at Rick's Music in Manhattan, and have worked in guitar stores now for about a decade, so I've seen a bunch of used guitars.

There is no way he should be throwing down $300.00 for this. It's a cheap Les Paul copy. Only on very rare occaisions is an old guitar of an off brand name worth any more than $150.00 or maybe $200.00. And that's assuming that it plays perfectly and there aren't any problems with it (which is a big assumption).

Think of it this way. An Ibanez "starter pack" with a brand new, perfectly playable guitar a cheap little amp a video picks and a tuner and gig bag runs $299.00 to $320.00 at any guitar store. That guitar is better than the one you have pictured and sells for about $200.00 if you find them used. You can also pick this guitar up with your bare hands. Is it extremely heavy (20 pounds)? That is a mark of a decent les paul copy. The old Yamaha and Ibanez lex paul copies (the ones they got sued by Gibson for making) are sought after now because they are basically the same thing with a different name on them. Not the same thing for Hohner. At least I've never seen one worth a crap.

Dayze
09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
yup; 'bout what I'd pay too; if that.

Inspector
09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
My son band is recording their 3rd album and all of them are using John Cougar Melloncamp's band's instruments. Same ones they have used over the years. He's the bass player and the one he's using was in the video "Jack and Diane"....

He told me it was the best bass he ever played, but I don't know what brand it is.

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 11:18 AM
In summary....Set necks are not always better made . But they are a bit harder to make so the craftsmanship has to be a bit better. Bolt necks are just more efficient.

petegz28
09-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Also how often is the guitar going to get played? What kind of music?

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 11:21 AM
I teach guitar lessons at Rick's Music in Manhattan, and have worked in guitar stores now for about a decade, so I've seen a bunch of used guitars.

There is no way he should be throwing down $300.00 for this. It's a cheap Les Paul copy. Only on very rare occaisions is an old guitar of an off brand name worth any more than $150.00 or maybe $200.00. And that's assuming that it plays perfectly and there aren't any problems with it (which is a big assumption).

Think of it this way. An Ibanez "starter pack" with a brand new, perfectly playable guitar a cheap little amp a video picks and a tuner and gig bag runs $299.00 to $320.00 at any guitar store. That guitar is better than the one you have pictured and sells for about $200.00 if you find them used. You can also pick this guitar up with your bare hands. Is it extremely heavy (20 pounds)? That is a mark of a decent les paul copy. The old Yamaha and Ibanez lex paul copies (the ones they got sued by Gibson for making) are sought after now because they are basically the same thing with a different name on them. Not the same thing for Hohner. At least I've never seen one worth a crap.

I concur w/ his comment about the weight. Heavyness in physics does help in heavyness in tone. So set neck/heavy mahogany and no gibson name...can be very very good...sometimes even better than gibson itself!

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Also how often is the guitar going to get played? What kind of music?

I'd imagine irrelevant...a good guitar is a good guitar. You know what I mean?

mcan
09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
It's not that it's a bad thing it's a cheap guitar thing. Most guitars under $1k are bolted on in some form. The other ones are what you call a "neck-through-body" which means basically the whole thing is made out of 1 piece of wood.

$150 and as long as the neck isn't warped and the overall condition is good you got a ok deal.

Very few are actually "neck thru" (one piece of wood) but they are out there. If it's not a bolt on neck (with a plate or some screws at that joint) then it's probably a glued neck or a "set neck."

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks again for all the input!

I just got my first accustic in May, been playing it most daily and can play some decent songs on it. I'm really enjoying the start of my guitar playing.

It's a basic Fender accustic, no bells or whistles. I want a 12 string next (I played Pink Floyd's how I wish you were here on one in the store and had the light flash in my mind, first time it sounded really good....)

Anyway, I'm still in learning mode and definetly didn't have the knowledge to give solid advice to my Pop-in-law, but I'll share the info, if he really likes it at least I hope he makes a good counter offer using this information.

Peace

InChiefsHell
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
For 300.00 he could get a brand new Les Paul knock off...on a used Hohner, I think that is beyond ridiculous. As others have said, 150.00 MAX, and that's in really good condition.

It's not an investment, because the guitar will never be worth much. If he reeeeeally likes it, tell him to offer the guy 150.00. But don't pay 300.00 for a 150.00 guitar.

InChiefsHell
09-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I play a Guild Aviator, an Ibanez Roadstar II and I have an Applause (cheapo) accoustic. I'd like to get an new axe, but it just ain't in the budget.

Kevinlane
09-21-2007, 11:26 AM
These other opinions are correct. . .
I'd let the guy keep it unless you Dad falls in love, then only give $150 tops for the thing.

(pro musician here, been playing for 30 years)

petegz28
09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Very few are actually "neck thru" (one piece of wood) but they are out there. If it's not a bolt on neck (with a plate or some screws at that joint) then it's probably a glued neck or a "set neck."

I haven't looked lately but I think your hiher end Ibanez an Charvel Jackson guitars are all neck thru aren't they? Or am I still stuck in the 80's?

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks again for all the input!

I just got my first accustic in May, been playing it most daily and can play some decent songs on it. I'm really enjoying the start of my guitar playing.

It's a basic Fender accustic, no bells or whistles. I want a 12 string next (I played Pink Floyd's how I wish you were here on one in the store and had the light flash in my mind, first time it sounded really good....)

Anyway, I'm still in learning mode and definetly didn't have the knowledge to give solid advice to my Pop-in-law, but I'll share the info, if he really likes it at least I hope he makes a good counter offer using this information.

Peace

Nothing like figuring out why you don't sound like the recording on your own guitar and then figure out it was a different kind of guitar/effect/amp.

I had only given lessons for a shot time to a friends kid (I know little about music theory or anything) And I've always figured that if I could play the guitar..anyone could at least do something w/ it! At least learn some AC/DC songs to get some chords down and maybe a lead line or two. It can be hard...but doesn't have to be.

I'd say take it seriously...but don't take it seriously. Just be patient. Ifyou keep playing at something and you don't get the hang of it. Just listen...and generally you'll figure it out.

crazycoffey
09-21-2007, 12:40 PM
additional info, it's 25 years old and it's very heavy. Excellent shape, he found one little scratch in the finish and that is all, no warped wood, neck is sound, no pick scratches, it is in good shape. Sounds good, plays really easy, his instructor really liked it and the $300 includes a nice hardcase.

I told him all of the information you guys shared but I think he's going for it anyway.... so I asked him to at least offer 200 to see what the guy says, before he just pays the 300.

I still thank you for all the info and I passed it on the best I could.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2007, 12:54 PM

The Hohner is maybe worth $75, tops. You'd be better off buy a starter Epiphone Les Paul bolt-on neck for $179.99. Personally, I wouldn't touch the Hohner.

You can also pick this guitar up with your bare hands. Is it extremely heavy (20 pounds)? That is a mark of a decent les paul copy.

This is absolutely false.

99.9% of the time, a heavy Les Paul is the mark of a shitty, water-logged piece of wood. Those guitars are toneless pieces of driftwood. Many 70's Les Pauls are like this which is why they are not desirable in the least. Gibson went through several different ownership groups from 1970 to the late 80's and really didn't begin making quality instruments until the early 90's.

If you're looking for a REAL Les Paul, regardless of the name on the headstock, you'll be looking for a guitar that has one piece mahogany body, a book-matched two piece maple top and a one piece mahogany neck. Anything else is a cheap and fake imitation.

The less expensive Epiphones use solid alder, the "normal" Epi's use alder & mahogany or solid mahogany and the Elitist (MIJ) models are built exactly like the shop in Nashville (and many would tell you they're actually better than what's currently coming off the line).

Most really great Les Pauls weigh in at about 8-9 pounds for a Standard and maybe slightly more for Customs (because of the extra binding, gold hardware, etc.). I can honestly say that if someone was offering a 20 pound Les Paul, it would sound like complete and utter ASS and should be avoided at all costs.

Huffman83
09-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Ehhh you can lead a horse to water....