PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM Access to Device, Path or file is denied

chagrin
09-21-2007, 07:47 PM
That's the error I get. I have gone through all the steps that I can find and according to my computer the device works properly. I can't play audio, can't install a game I bought, for example but for some reason the CD ROM DOES read my Dimage Viewer CD Rom for my Digital camera software.

I only know that my dinosaur computer has a "standard" Pioneer CD-ROM DR-A04S

Should I just buy a new one? If there's a way to solve this I would prefer to...any advice is appreciated :)

DaFace
09-21-2007, 08:06 PM
I doubt that's a hardware issue. From what I can tell, that error comes up whenever your PC tries to autorun the CD, but can't find the program to play it. If that's the case, give this a try.

Assuming you're on Windows XP, right-click on the drive with no CD in it and select Properties. Look for the AutoPlay tab. Then go through through each filetype in the pulldown menu and hit the "Restore defaults" button for each one.

Another way to check and see if this might be the problem would be to open your music player program manually and open the CD from there. For other CD's (like your game CD), right-click on the CD drive and go to explore. I bet it opens up just fine. Look for the setup.exe file and see if you can get it to run.

Good luck!

chagrin
09-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Well, I am running Windows 2000, the autoplay tab is not there.

When I right click to explore, i get "Please insert disk..." even though the disk is there. Again, it DOES play the digital camera software disk but nothing else.

chagrin
09-22-2007, 07:31 AM
I just tried to do a virus scan on it and the error read "Cannot scan, cannot open!"

So it looks like whatever program or command file used to work the drive, is absent or corrupted.

Does that make sense?

DaFace
09-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Well, I am running Windows 2000, the autoplay tab is not there.

When I right click to explore, i get "Please insert disk..." even though the disk is there. Again, it DOES play the digital camera software disk but nothing else.

Windows 2000, huh? There's a Microsoft article about this very issue. It's a bit technical, but it sounds like it's exactly the issue you're dealing with.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259473

chagrin
09-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I just went ahead and spent all day shopping; upgraded to a new CD RW drive, video card and added a hard drive - fug it.

face, thanks for being willing to spend some time with this, thank you :)

DaFace
09-22-2007, 05:09 PM
I just went ahead and spent all day shopping; upgraded to a new CD RW drive, video card and added a hard drive - fug it.

Heh...I just hope it solves your problem. If not, check the link I posted. Good luck!

Simplex3
09-22-2007, 05:30 PM

Too bad you're in Orlando. I have a CDRW , DVDR, and a few CDROMs lying around you could have borrowed to test that theory.