PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the Chiefs ever have a balanced team?

RedThat
09-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Seriously.

It's frustrating.

What is the problem?

Is it the fact we've never hired a coach who is capable of managing both sides of the ball.

Is it because our GM is inept in terms of discovering talent on both sides of the ball. Is he just not capable of putting a whole team together? What is it?

This team just goes from one extreme to the next.

Either a great defense, poor offense.

Great offense, poor defense...Vice versa, vice versa.

I don't know? All I know is, this is the main reason why we never won a playoff game in 14 years imo. This is why we won't win a SB because we never have a complete team.

htismaqe
09-22-2007, 06:50 AM
The coaches, by and large, have alot of power when it comes to personnel and schemes. We've never had a coach that could put it all together, and that's Carl's fault.

But what it really comes down to is loyalty.

This franchise has always been more about "family" than football.

From Jack Steadman being in charge 10 years too long, to Gunther hiring Brian Schottenheimer, to Dick Vermeil crying over Greg Robinson, to Gunther coming back after being not only fired but humiliated, to giving up picks for a coach that used to be a Chiefs scout -- WHO you know has always been more important to the Chiefs than WHAT you know...

stevieray
09-22-2007, 06:55 AM
"it's not what you know, it's who you know"

...that is profound...I'll be that catches on everywhere...;)

htismaqe
09-22-2007, 06:58 AM
"it's not what you know, it's who you know"

...that is profound...I'll be that catches on everywhere...;)

:D

the Talking Can
09-22-2007, 07:02 AM
my honest opinion?

God hates us

Cochise
09-22-2007, 07:03 AM
While I agree with what htismaqe said about the old boys' club, balance - being really good on both sides of the ball - is they one thing that every team is after every year, and not many teams find it. It's hard to be good and balanced, both. I don't think it's that the team thinks you don't need balance. I just think the organization has been too inept to find it.

the Talking Can
09-22-2007, 07:04 AM
how many position coaches from the Chiefs have gone on to be coordinators or HC?

I've never felt like we had great staffs on both sides of the ball...and we've had guys like Joiner forever

RedThat
09-22-2007, 08:50 AM
The coaches, by and large, have alot of power when it comes to personnel and schemes. We've never had a coach that could put it all together, and that's Carl's fault.

But what it really comes down to is loyalty.

This franchise has always been more about "family" than football.

From Jack Steadman being in charge 10 years too long, to Gunther hiring Brian Schottenheimer, to Dick Vermeil crying over Greg Robinson, to Gunther coming back after being not only fired but humiliated, to giving up picks for a coach that used to be a Chiefs scout -- WHO you know has always been more important to the Chiefs than WHAT you know...

Yeah I can see that "loyalty" and "family" part being true.

And thats been part of the problem?

And I also think because of that, that has ties to them failing to think outside the box.

That's been a problem for the Chiefs. They can't think outside the box to hire someone else outside of the organization. I've noticed instead they'll promote guys within, or hire guys whom they've had previous ties to, relationships etc.

*I can see what you're saying. Its more about relationships for them then rather getting down to strictly about business on improving the franchise.

I never view buddy buddy as a good thing when it comes down to business and doing what it takes to improve.

FAX
09-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Decades of crummy drafting and inept player development would top my list of reasons, Mr. RedBull.

FAX

RedThat
09-22-2007, 08:51 AM
how many position coaches from the Chiefs have gone on to be coordinators or HC?

I've never felt like we had great staffs on both sides of the ball...and we've had guys like Joiner forever

Loyalty my man. Too much blind loyalty exists in this organization. And it's to a fault.

RedThat
09-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Decades of crummy drafting and inept player development would top my list of reasons, Mr. RedBull.

FAX

Yup. I agree with that intake.

No doubt the Chiefs have bombed a lot of drafts.

But, I will say this, I've noticed that since Bill Kuharich and Herm Edwards arrived our drafts have gotten a lot better.

Im thinking they would have something to do with that? :hmmm:

Smed1065
09-22-2007, 08:59 AM
It is because they view it as a business and we view it as a life line.

They gave us the "nuthooks" but I will not die until they get another SB.

Only the good die young, I am screwed.

FAX
09-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Yup. I agree with that intake.

No doubt the Chiefs have bombed a lot of drafts.

But, I will say this, I've noticed that since Bill Kuharich and Herm Edwards arrived our drafts have gotten a lot better.

Im thinking they would have something to do with that? :hmmm:

A lot of people here are excited about Herm's drafts so far, Mr. RedBull. Personally, I think we have to wait and see how they play out over time. I lack confidence in Herm's ability to properly develop young players, though. I think he might do well on defense - particularly the secondary, since that was his position. I'm not so sure about offensive players.

FAX

el borracho
09-22-2007, 09:02 AM
In Marty's case we just couldn't ever find a RB or WRs.
Gunther was in over his head as a head coach.
DV hired a crappy defensive coordinator and couldn't ever find a DT.
Herm inherited an old team and decided to fix the D first. We'll see if he can fix the O next year.

Smed1065
09-22-2007, 09:06 AM
A lot of people here are excited about Herm's drafts so far, Mr. RedBull. Personally, I think we have to wait and see how they play out over time. I lack confidence in Herm's ability to properly develop young players, though. I think he might do well on defense - particularly the secondary, since that was his position. I'm not so sure about offensive players.

FAX

I agree but to date, I feel a lot better at this point than I have in a long time with a draft. In a long time.!

I will give U they were never given a chance B4. Now its now or Medlock.

RedThat
09-22-2007, 09:08 AM

FAX

On defense I think Herm has done a pretty decent job with the young guys like Hali, Page, and Pollard.

On offense, I think Bowe can be something. He showed me stuff the last 2 games to say he is capable of making plays. The only problem I have is the style of offense they run. Short swing passes, screens..Lots of passes to the RB's and TE's kinda negates the purpose of using a guy like Bowe. So the lesser they use him, the less you can find out what he is or can do.

Then of course there is Brodie, and we don't know what we have in Croyle by not playing him?

RedThat
09-22-2007, 09:10 AM
DV hired a crappy defensive coordinator and couldn't ever find a DT.

This is a big problem. We've never had a DT in well over a decade. Since Dan Saluemua from what I can remember.

Smed1065
09-22-2007, 09:11 AM
On defense I think Herm has done a pretty decent job with the young guys like Hali, Page, and Pollard.

On offense, I think Bowe can be something. He showed me stuff the last 2 games to say he is capable of making plays. The only problem I have is the style of offense they run. Short swing passes, screens..Lots of passes to the RB's and TE's kinda negates the purpose of using a guy like Bowe. So the lesser they use him, the less you can find out what he is or can do.

Then of course there is Brodie, and we don't know what we have in Croyle by not playing him?

I agree.

Here comes the shit storm.......

Duck..........

FAX
09-22-2007, 09:15 AM

I think most people would agree with that, Mr. RedBull. Maybe I'm just overly skeptical, or perhaps, by this point, my outlook is skewed by my seething hatred for all things Herm.

I look at Herm's drafts this way. We really don't know what we have in Page/Pollard yet. It takes at least two years to find out if a rookie can "own" a position to the point that you can focus elsewhere in the draft of FA for strength at that position. Tamba has great potential, but he has not been the impact player that, say, Allen was by this point. As for Bowe and Croyle, I personally believe both of them to be excellent prospects for the future. Who knows if their talents will be maximized by the Chiefs, though?

FAX

Fairplay
09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
The chiefs are cursed.

Extra Point
09-22-2007, 09:23 AM
The report from the offensive research laboratory is that at 2 pm Wednesday, Sept 19, Mike Solari discovered the correct resonant frequency that generates over 100 dB at Arrowhead, for throwing first downs using the inside slant pass, and plans to unleash it tomorrow.

RedThat
09-22-2007, 09:24 AM
The chiefs are cursed.

why do you have to make me cry?

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 09:27 AM
because Carl dumps the draft on every new head coach that comes in instead of taking control and giving us consistency.

offensive head coach - we draft well on offense but suck on defense

defensive head coach - we draft well on defense but suck on offense.

Carl doesn't want the responsibility

if our scouting/drafting etc was set up to be independent with just including "input" from the current coaching staff then our talent level would be much more balanced imo.

htismaqe
09-22-2007, 09:35 AM
because Carl dumps the draft on every new head coach that comes in instead of taking control and giving us consistency.

if our scouting/drafting etc was set up to be independent with just including "input" from the current coaching staff then our talent level would be much more balanced imo.

Yep.

And that's because this team, unlike most other teams in the league, doesn't separate business operations from football operations...

StcChief
09-22-2007, 09:37 AM

FAX
No doubt... so that's on the Mgmt and coaches.

htismaqe
09-22-2007, 09:43 AM

FAX

The ineptitude is a symptom, not a cause. In fact, the problem that Laz mentioned is also a symptom rather than a cause.

The underlying cause is the one I listed.

The whole way this team is structured, from top to bottom, is a result of the "buddy system". Carl is in charge of the business operations AND the football operations because of the "buddy" system. Inept coaches like Herm, Gunther, Jimmy Raye, and Peter Guinta were hired because of the "buddy" system. Crap players like Ryan Sims were drafted because of the "buddy" system.

FAX
09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
The ineptitude is a symptom, not a cause. In fact, the problem that Laz mentioned is also a symptom rather than a cause.

The underlying cause is the one I listed.

The whole way this team is structured, from top to bottom, is a result of the "buddy system". Carl is in charge of the business operations AND the football operations because of the "buddy" system. Inept coaches like Herm, Gunther, Jimmy Raye, and Peter Guinta were hired because of the "buddy" system. Crap players like Ryan Sims were drafted because of the "buddy" system.

Understood, Mr. htismaqe. Good point.

So, continuing that logic to its ultimate conclusion, it's Carl's mom's fault?

FAX

the Talking Can
09-22-2007, 09:49 AM
and we are so slow to get rid of underperforming coaches and veterans....Gun at HC being the lone example...

other franchises would can jokes like Guinta and Robinson without the slightest remorse...we have to wait years after the damage is done, and then watch grown men balling like 3 year olds who fell and scratched a knee...

Smed1065
09-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I agree.

Here comes the shit storm.......

Duck..........

Guess I was wrong............

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Yep.

And that's because this team, unlike most other teams in the league, doesn't separate business operations from football operations...
yep ... having the GM also be the CEO is a mistake of epic proportions.

JuicesFlowing
09-22-2007, 10:56 AM
All I know is that I'm glad we have Gunther back. It took a few years after the HORRIBLE Robinson Defense, but Gun has brought good D back to KC. Too bad he couldn't have been here through the entire Vermeil era.

I'm a little bit tired of this "don't win the game, but don't lose the game" Offensive mentality. I hate the philosophy of not trying to score points.

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 11:04 AM
All I know is that I'm glad we have Gunther back. It took a few years after the HORRIBLE Robinson Defense, but Gun has brought good D back to KC. Too bad he couldn't have been here through the entire Vermeil era.

I'm a little bit tired of this "don't win the game, but don't lose the game" Offensive mentality. I hate the philosophy of not trying to score points.
Herm is holding gunther's hand ......... i don't think gunther would of been nearly as successful under vermeil.

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2007, 11:10 AM
i don't think gunther would of been nearly as successful under vermeil.

Would of? He wasn't, the man was lost under Vermeil

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
some people believe that if gunther would of been here the entire time under Vermeil that it would of been different.

i disagree

gunther is a decent coordinator who needs a defensive head coach to guide him.

PunkinDrublic
09-22-2007, 12:19 PM
It really pisses me off that Herms excuse for shitty play calling is that Solari's still learning how to be an offensive coordiantor. Well if he's not ready then why the **** did you promote him.

The last couple of years I've really questioned Carl's commitment to winning. Living in Dallas, I know some people hate Jerry Jones and other people love him but nobody questions that he will do anything to put together a winning team. Jerry has his personal fortune put into the Cowboys so there's a lot at stake for the Cowboys to win.

What's Carls incentive to win? He's turned the team we live and die with into a good old boy network at our expense. I think at one point Carl had a hunger to win but at this point he's biding his time until retirement.
The Chiefs unquestionably have the greatest fan base in sports we deserve so much better.

PunkinDrublic
09-22-2007, 12:21 PM

Keep in mind he didn't have the talent on defense that we have now.

TEX
09-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Carl's been the one constant with a series of unbalanced teams. SO...

chiefbowe82
09-22-2007, 01:52 PM
we will become balanced. losing prime-time green losing roaf, and shields, priest holmes, an aging hall of fame TE and an aging #1 WR hurts. How Herm changed the defense is nothing short of impressive, I truly believe the D is still building and the offense can only get better, we'll settle on a kicker or punter is great, and our offense can only go way up. In 2009 this team will be super bowl bound. I truly believe they have a change to open some eyes even yet this season.

TEX
09-22-2007, 02:04 PM
we will become balanced. losing prime-time green losing roaf, and shields, priest holmes, an aging hall of fame TE and an aging #1 WR hurts. How Herm changed the defense is nothing short of impressive, I truly believe the D is still building and the offense can only get better, we'll settle on a kicker or punter is great, and our offense can only go way up. In 2009 this team will be super bowl bound. I truly believe they have a change to open some eyes even yet this season.

ROFL

I admire your optisism but Herm can only get them so far. He's a Rah - Rah coach. Doesn't know squat about X's and O's and has such a huge ego, he won't hire someone that does. Herm's NOT the guy to complete anything.

RedThat
09-22-2007, 02:15 PM
It really pisses me off that Herms excuse for shitty play calling is that Solari's still learning how to be an offensive coordiantor. Well if he's not ready then why the **** did you promote him.

The last couple of years I've really questioned Carl's commitment to winning. Living in Dallas, I know some people hate Jerry Jones and other people love him but nobody questions that he will do anything to put together a winning team. Jerry has his personal fortune put into the Cowboys so there's a lot at stake for the Cowboys to win.

What's Carls incentive to win? He's turned the team we live and die with into a good old boy network at our expense. I think at one point Carl had a hunger to win but at this point he's biding his time until retirement.
The Chiefs unquestionably have the greatest fan base in sports we deserve so much better.

I wouldn't question Carl's commitment to winning. I would question the Hunt's for constantly giving him contract extensions. To me Carl is like a goat. He does a well enough job to keep the team mediocre so that he can do just enough to draw the fans interest. Ever notice most years were in contention to be in that wild card race? And then before you know it the fans have that drawed interest? It draws attention to get them to go to games. It all a game they play, and it sells tickets. But the bottomline is the bottomline, the Chiefs are just not good. But they do what it takes to make us think they're good when they're not.

And this is the thing, I've heard around here that Clark wants to win. I say that is a load of crap. If Clark wants to win, then why does he keep giving Carl Peterson contract extensions?

I wish, I just wish the Chiefs had an owner like Jerry Jones. I know a lot of people around here may not like the guy. But I say hey so what? it is clear he has that drive, and passionate mentality to building a winning franchise. Eddie DeBartolo was the exact same way. And yes I know DeBartolo has a bad reputation. So what? He had it in him to build a really successful franchise. Anything less then winning is unexceptable.
That is the type of attitude this franchise should have. And it what the fans desperately need imo.

I don't care what people say, that type of attitude is a huge thing. It's a little thing, but it equates to being huge. And as a Chiefs fan, from what I've witnessed, that type of mentality from ownership down is non-existent.

And I think that is why the Chiefs are what they are today?

I agree with you man the Chiefs have one of the best fan bases in all of professional football. I think the underliying problem is, what the fans want compared to what ownership wants is not in exact alignment.

Us fans deserve better. And unfortunately ownership and management has continued to operate the same way for years. This is why I want the Chiefs to be garbage this year. And not only this year, but possibly the next and so on. Because Im tired of this crap. We don't deserve this!
We deserve better, but unfortunately I don't think they'll change there ways. Unless, they face a cold slap of reality and start losing fanbase. I think that needs to happen. Im saying out of pure hope for the future and hopeful that things can turn around.

greg63
09-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Why can't the Chiefs ever have a balanced team?
Two words; one person: Carl Peterson.

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 02:53 PM
so the last 18 years were just a fluke?

Valiant
09-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Seriously.

It's frustrating.

What is the problem?

Is it the fact we've never hired a coach who is capable of managing both sides of the ball.

Is it because our GM is inept in terms of discovering talent on both sides of the ball. Is he just not capable of putting a whole team together? What is it?

This team just goes from one extreme to the next.

Either a great defense, poor offense.

Great offense, poor defense...Vice versa, vice versa.

I don't know? All I know is, this is the main reason why we never won a playoff game in 14 years imo. This is why we won't win a SB because we never have a complete team.

We have had a balanced team a couple of times and then something else happens..

Balanced team and Montana gets hurt..

Balanced team and the coaches stick with Grbac instead of Gannon..

We would have lost with either QB last year to the Colts so I am not worried..

Also the coaches have ****ed over some other of our squads with their playcalling... Like the year we lost to the colts and Denver in the playoffs a while ago...

PunkinDrublic
09-22-2007, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't question Carl's commitment to winning. I would question the Hunt's for constantly giving him contract extensions. To me Carl is like a goat. He does a well enough job to keep the team mediocre so that he can do just enough to draw the fans interest. Ever notice most years were in contention to be in that wild card race? And then before you know it the fans have that drawed interest? It draws attention to get them to go to games. It all a game they play, and it sells tickets. But the bottomline is the bottomline, the Chiefs are just not good. But they do what it takes to make us think they're good when they're not.

And this is the thing, I've heard around here that Clark wants to win. I say that is a load of crap. If Clark wants to win, then why does he keep giving Carl Peterson contract extensions?

I wish, I just wish the Chiefs had an owner like Jerry Jones. I know a lot of people around here may not like the guy. But I say hey so what? it is clear he has that drive, and passionate mentality to building a winning franchise. Eddie DeBartolo was the exact same way. And yes I know DeBartolo has a bad reputation. So what? He had it in him to build a really successful franchise. Anything less then winning is unexceptable.
That is the type of attitude this franchise should have. And it what the fans desperately need imo.

I don't care what people say, that type of attitude is a huge thing. It's a little thing, but it equates to being huge. And as a Chiefs fan, from what I've witnessed, that type of mentality from ownership down is non-existent.

And I think that is why the Chiefs are what they are today?

I agree with you man the Chiefs have one of the best fan bases in all of professional football. I think the underliying problem is, what the fans want compared to what ownership wants is not in exact alignment.

Us fans deserve better. And unfortunately ownership and management has continued to operate the same way for years. This is why I want the Chiefs to be garbage this year. And not only this year, but possibly the next and so on. Because Im tired of this crap. We don't deserve this!
We deserve better, but unfortunately I don't think they'll change there ways. Unless, they face a cold slap of reality and start losing fanbase. I think that needs to happen. Im saying out of pure hope for the future and hopeful that things can turn around.

Let me revise what I posted. I think Carl wants to keep the Chiefs winning, I question his desire to win a championship. Even when Carl steps down, Clark will hire one of his buddies who or may not turn the franchise around rather than someone who is best qualified for the job.

The bottom line for me is people who are successful and win championships are willing to do the extra things that moderately to unsuccessful people are not. I'm afraid Carl is not willing to do the extra things to make the Chiefs successful and win a Super Bowl.

88TG88
09-22-2007, 03:11 PM
I think its Carl's inability to draft that keeps us one sided.

PunkinDrublic
09-22-2007, 03:15 PM
I think its Carl's inability to draft that keeps us one sided.

To be fair we have had some good picks but have busted on way too many.

88TG88
09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
To be fair we have had some good picks but have busted on way too many.
Our 1st round picks don't have to be HOFers but if they all turned out to be solid contributors we'd have at least been to an AFC champ game by now.

PunkinDrublic
09-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Our 1st round picks don't have to be HOFers but if they all turned out to be solid contributors we'd have at least been to an AFC champ game by now.

It's not just 1st rounders, our draft history is riddled with players who flopped and never panned out.

RustShack
09-22-2007, 03:31 PM
It takes time for a new coach to get the team now he wants it... but him changing his offensive game play JUST A LITTLE would help.

chiefbowe82
09-22-2007, 06:03 PM
so the last 18 years were just a fluke?
we've never tried this numbnuts

Logical
09-22-2007, 06:55 PM

Actually under Vermiel we did not even draft good offensive players. Remember LJ was not someone Vermiel wanted to draft.

Easy 6
09-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Actually under Vermiel we did not even draft good offensive players. Remember LJ was not someone Vermiel wanted to draft.

Sad but true, we didnt draft worth a shiite on EITHER side of the ball.

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm afraid Carl is not willing to do the extra things to make the Chiefs successful and win a Super Bowl.

I bet he's shitting bricks considering KC hasn't won a game since last December, and St. Huard isn't performing his divine magic.

milkman
09-22-2007, 08:05 PM

Never tried what?

This is Marty revisited.

milkman
09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah I can see that "loyalty" and "family" part being true.

And thats been part of the problem?

And I also think because of that, that has ties to them failing to think outside the box.

That's been a problem for the Chiefs. They can't think outside the box to hire someone else outside of the organization. I've noticed instead they'll promote guys within, or hire guys whom they've had previous ties to, relationships etc.

*I can see what you're saying. Its more about relationships for them then rather getting down to strictly about business on improving the franchise.

I never view buddy buddy as a good thing when it comes down to business and doing what it takes to improve.

I've been saying this for years.

People here are finally starting to get it.

Mecca
09-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I've been saying this for years.

People here are finally starting to get it.

Remember when you'd bring it up and you'd get back "how dare you say bad things about Lamar Hunt!"

Good Times...

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 09:53 PM
but we made up for it will great offensive evaluation through free agency/trades.

same difference

htismaqe
09-23-2007, 06:13 AM

Bullshit. We tried this for TEN YEARS from 1989-1998. And that decade started with a Top 5 overall draft pick named Derrick Thomas.

carlos3652
09-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Bullshit. We tried this for TEN YEARS from 1989-1998. And that decade started with a Top 5 overall draft pick named Derrick Thomas.

And last time I checked, we did this and were very close to making it to the SB by year 4... back then though, people were willing to give Marty a shot (and time) because the 74-88's were horrid years...

But lets not give Herm anytime to at least draft good players...

If anything, I think Herm can create a foundation through the draft for the next coach...

htismaqe
09-23-2007, 08:01 AM
And last time I checked, we did this and were very close to making it to the SB by year 4... back then though, people were willing to give Marty a shot (and time) because the 74-88's were horrid years...

But lets not give Herm anytime to at least draft good players...

If anything, I think Herm can create a foundation through the draft for the next coach...

Joe Montana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Damon Huard

Ultra Peanut
09-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Because we suck, we were predestined to suck, and we will always suck?

carlos3652
09-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Joe Montana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Damon Huard
:rolleyes:

Steve DeBerg = Damon Huard at this point, Huard will not be a starter by year 4... which is when we got Montana/Allen...

In year 2 we had Deberg, and he had a good season... but he had horrible years too... he also fumbled a lot... Nice comparison though...

htismaqe
09-23-2007, 08:09 AM
:rolleyes:

Steve DeBerg = Damon Huard at this point, Huard will not be a starter by year 4...

Oh, I see.

Herm is gonna bring in Steve McNair for year 4.

Ultra Peanut
09-24-2007, 04:26 AM
You knock-kneed and sloppy,
But not me
I'm i-n-d e-p-e n-d-e-n-t