PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Gearheads: Boutique Amps

Bob Dole
09-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Just went to a guitar workshop today and got the scoop on a local line of top quality, hand-wired tube amps that just went in to production.

http://www.pappasamps.com

Quality amps built by someone who's played for nearly 4 decades, with the player in mind. Genuinely nice guy who's putting together a top quality "boutique amp" for a fraction of a regular boutique amp price.

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 06:43 PM
will keep it in mind :toast:

Bob Dole
09-22-2007, 07:02 PM
will keep it in mind :toast:

Cody has done a quality job. Top notch materials selection that make sense, and a published schematic so true gearheads can tweak it to their tastes. (He'll also modify it before shipping if you know the sound you want.)

It's set up where you can get the distortion without resorting to ear-bleeding levels, the mids aren't scooped out by default, and you can pretty much control every aspect of your tone with the guitar controls because the signal isn't being compressed and overly massaged before it ever gets to the amp.

Bob Dole isn't a gearhead, and was thoroughly impressed with the product he's put together.

Lzen
09-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Holy shit. $800 for a 25 watt head?

DaneMcCloud
09-23-2007, 01:10 AM
Holy shit. $800 for a 25 watt head?

Do you find that to be cheap or expensive or what?

A Bruno Underground 30 (30 watt boutique amp) is over $3k. I own a Bumbox Lead-1 (which is a hand-built ONE WATT Marshall Plexi clone) that was $475. I also own an Epiphone Valve Jr 5 watt head that's been modified with a bright switch, Fat push-pull knob and a preamp that cost me a total $149.00! It's freakin' killer for that JTM45/Fender Bassman tone. I also own an Engl Screamer 50 that was $1400. To me, it's all about TONE, not price or wattage.

FWIW, a 50-watt amp is only TWICE as loud as a 5-watt amp, so I fail to understand the meaning of your post.

Bob, thanks for the heads up and I look forward to hearing some music clips of this amp!

Bob Dole
09-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Bob, thanks for the heads up and I look forward to hearing some music clips of this amp!

Eisley is currently touring with one of the first purple beasts. He's getting some excellent feedback on the ones that are in circulation.

Lzen
09-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Do you find that to be cheap or expensive or what?

A Bruno Underground 30 (30 watt boutique amp) is over $3k. I own a Bumbox Lead-1 (which is a hand-built ONE WATT Marshall Plexi clone) that was $475. I also own an Epiphone Valve Jr 5 watt head that's been modified with a bright switch, Fat push-pull knob and a preamp that cost me a total $149.00! It's freakin' killer for that JTM45/Fender Bassman tone. I also own an Engl Screamer 50 that was $1400. To me, it's all about TONE, not price or wattage.

FWIW, a 50-watt amp is only TWICE as loud as a 5-watt amp, so I fail to understand the meaning of your post.

I guess I just don't know anything about boutique amps. Hell, if I had the extra dough and the need for it, I would get a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier.

But I guess your comments prove there is a market for this one.

Braincase
09-23-2007, 08:19 AM
I guess I just don't know anything about boutique amps. Hell, if I had the extra dough and the need for it, I would get a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier.

I want to say it was last year that Guitar PLayer did a review of these small wattage boutique amps. Absolutely designed for the recording studio, fab tone, and then you can mic the lattle bastards anyway you want to. Yeah, I was stunned by the price per watt, but I can undertand why people get 'em.

Kind of funny - one thing that I've heard guys preach is that you have to start off with a clean tone. Thought it funny when I saw Eric Johnson performing live in KC, and Mr. Fender has a little studio combo mic'd behind the curatin, and I could tell from the profile it was a Roland Cube, probably on the JC Clean setting.

Long live the Cube! Long live the Jazz Chorus!

DaneMcCloud
09-23-2007, 11:33 AM

A Rectifier would be the absolute LAST choice of amplifier that I'd purchase or recommend. Unless you like the sound of a guitar through a cheese-grater like distortion.

Engl, Diezel, Rivera, Bogner and Orange are just a few amps that are about a million times as cool as a Rectum Fryer. For an actual point to point duplicate of a Marshall JTM45, Plexi or JCM 800, check out ceriatone.com. Nick makes amazing amps for a fraction of the cost of a vintage Marshall and they absolutely kick ass. Tone for days.

Most records are recorded with lower watt amps or the amps have a load box (such as a THD Hot Plate) because what you really want is the power tube distortion, not the preamp distortion. The power tubes is where the tone lies.

Pushead2
09-24-2007, 07:38 AM
I'll take my modded 5150 from Voodoo Amps with my tube screamer in front into my Mesa full stack anyday.... While touring I've seen too much garbage being used.