PDA

View Full Version : Repainting and repair stucco on my home costs as much as my first home.

Logical
09-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Good god it is expensive, anybody else have experience with whole house painting and stucco repair?

Bowser
09-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm sure living in Cali doesn't help matters any.

Rain Man
09-22-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't know stucco, but the rehab of my home cost about 50 percent more than the purchase price. Repairs and improvements do not come cheap.

Logical
09-22-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm sure living in Cali doesn't help matters any.
Actually that is one of the reasons I ask.

TinyEvel
09-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Get more estimates, and then go with your gut on who will give you the most value (quality for the cost). If you live in a "fancy" neighborhood, they jack you. Oh, and the sandblasting to remove/prep the old stucco and the subsequent work will ruin every bit of landscaping within 4 feet of the house. So, get a damage clause and prep/tarp the surrounding area as much as you can.

blueballs
09-22-2007, 08:17 PM
This thread should cheer up a few

Skip Towne
09-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I had to buy new tires for my house.

Baconeater
09-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Ummm....you're old. Your first house probably cost $10K.

Logical
09-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Get more estimates, and then go with your gut on who will give you the most value (quality for the cost). If you live in a "fancy" neighborhood, they jack you. Oh, and the sandblasting to remove/prep the old stucco and the subsequent work will ruin every bit of landscaping within 4 feet of the house. So, get a damage clause and prep/tarp the surrounding area as much as you can.

Thanks for the helpful hints.

Logical
09-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Ummm....you're old. Your first house probably cost $10K.

LOL I wish.

BucEyedPea
09-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Side and back of mine is stucco with wood on the front.
It didn't cost anywhere near the cost of this house nor half of it either. Just had stucco pressure washed and repainted though. Was $2300. House is 2 thousand sq feet.

Do it yourself or hire illegals.

dtebbe
09-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't know why someone would paint stucco. My stucco has pigment right in the mortar, so no painting, ever. I pressure wash it every couple years, that's it.

DT

BucEyedPea
09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
I edited. I meant pressure washed. I went along with it at the time as I wasn't in charge of the outside then. I just assumed that's how it's done. Looks natural though. It's a cream color.

DaneMcCloud
09-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't know why someone would paint stucco. My stucco has pigment right in the mortar, so no painting, ever. I pressure wash it every couple years, that's it.

DT

When we bought our house in 2003, it was formerly a shade of orange stucco. After 9 years facing directly east in the Cali sun, it was almost white. In addition, the previous owner had allowed ivy to grow up almost 30 feet of the house. In case you aren't aware, ivy is death to a home. It'll trap moisture, create mold and mildew and will eventually disintegrate the home (over a long period of time, of course).

After we'd had the ivy removed, the house was two shades of orange. We had the home pressure washed and painted with Dunn-Edwards exterior paint in a completely different color (it's called Mesa Tan or something) and after four years, the color hasn't faded at all.

We're finishing up another addition to the home and they'll be stuccoing and painting it next week. Even though they'll color treat the stucco, it will still require painting.

Phobia
09-22-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm guessing I could probably hire a stucco crew here, drive halfway across the country, stay in a seedy hotel, and complete your stucco for half that price and still make more money that I make working in KC. Cost of living is crazy out there.

Skip Towne
09-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Sorry Jim, big dogs have big fleas.

NewChief
09-22-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm guessing I could probably hire a stucco crew here, drive halfway across the country, stay in a seedy hotel, and complete your stucco for half that price and still make more money that I make working in KC. Cost of living is crazy out there.

You're not figuring a stolen truck into your estimate.

Phobia
09-22-2007, 10:51 PM
You're not figuring a stolen truck into your estimate.

Heh heh. I should take an estimating class or something.

Logical
09-22-2007, 11:11 PM

I kind of doubt that, I guess I should tell you that I bought my first house in Wichita for 25K. But call me quick if you still think you can do it for half that. 3400 square foot two story house with a 800 square foot attached garage

Phobia
09-22-2007, 11:28 PM
No, no I was slightly exaggerating. I still think I could probably drive halfway across the country with all the expenses associated with doing so and make decent money on the job. Unfortunately the only stucco guy I use has a family and isn't likely to be interested in world travel.

If you were brave and/or knew a general contractor type you could save about $20+k hiring illegals to do it.

Logical
09-22-2007, 11:30 PM
No, no I was slightly exaggerating. I still think I could probably drive halfway across the country with all the expenses associated with doing so and make decent money on the job. Unfortunately the only stucco guy I use has a family and isn't likely to be interested in world travel.

If you were brave and/or knew a general contractor type you could save about $20+k hiring illegals to do it.

I am not that brave.

el borracho
09-22-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure how to convert NM dollars into Ca dollars but I just had more than 1/4 of my house (2600 sq. ft.) done for $2,300. They even put up new wood, home-wrap, and wire for that price.

I also got an estimate on stuccoing another house (1800 sq. ft.) for less than $5,000. I can't remember if that price included the wire or not.

If I were you, I would ask around. Unless you are in a real hurry I would imagine you could eventually get it done much cheaper.

dtebbe
09-23-2007, 10:01 AM
When we bought our house in 2003, it was formerly a shade of orange stucco. After 9 years facing directly east in the Cali sun, it was almost white. In addition, the previous owner had allowed ivy to grow up almost 30 feet of the house. In case you aren't aware, ivy is death to a home. It'll trap moisture, create mold and mildew and will eventually disintegrate the home (over a long period of time, of course).

After we'd had the ivy removed, the house was two shades of orange. We had the home pressure washed and painted with Dunn-Edwards exterior paint in a completely different color (it's called Mesa Tan or something) and after four years, the color hasn't faded at all.

We're finishing up another addition to the home and they'll be stuccoing and painting it next week. Even though they'll color treat the stucco, it will still require painting.

I guess we must have some sort of special stucco that keeps it's color. Our house still looks great after 7 years. I've never understood why people let ivy grow all over shit. Looks like a$$ to me.

DT

Simplex3
09-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm sure this is happening because you own suckitjesus.org.

DaneMcCloud
09-23-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure how to convert NM dollars into Ca dollars but I just had more than 1/4 of my house (2600 sq. ft.) done for $2,300. They even put up new wood, home-wrap, and wire for that price.

I also got an estimate on stuccoing another house (1800 sq. ft.) for less than $5,000. I can't remember if that price included the wire or not.

If I were you, I would ask around. Unless you are in a real hurry I would imagine you could eventually get it done much cheaper.

Well, it's costing me $4k to stucco two new walls that are each 12 foot long by 9 foot high, plus an 18" overhang.

I'd say you got a great deal.

Baconeater
09-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I guess we must have some sort of special stucco that keeps it's color. Our house still looks great after 7 years. I've never understood why people let ivy grow all over shit. Looks like a$$ to me.

DT
If you're home is newer it may not have actual stucco, it may be a type of EIFS (exterior insulating and finishing system). It's very common in commercial applications here in the midwest, stucco homes are very rare here, but I would think it's being used in residential construction as well in other parts of the country. It pretty much lasts forever and requires little maintenance.

Oh, and one other thing for Jim, if sandblasting is part of the process you're looking into, you may want to look around more for someone who can soda blast it instead. It's just as effective as sandblasting but much cleaner, but for some reason the technology has been slow to catch on.