PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Have You Been To Arrowhead To Watch Chiefs Games?

AJKCFAN
05-30-2001, 11:22 PM
Wanted to get a pulse of how often us BB users have made the trek to the great Arrowhead Stadium.

AJKCFAN
05-30-2001, 11:42 PM
BTW, if you could, once you vote, announce the vote here.

I'll start.

AJKCFAN - 6 time Arrowhead visitor, 7 in September (every year since 1995)

The Bad Guy
05-30-2001, 11:44 PM
I had the great fortune to attend the Minnesota game back in 1999 where Stoyo hit the game winning field goal at the end of regulation.

I'm hoping I will have the opportunity again this year to make the trek to KC.

Frank=1 time Arrowhead visitor.

DanT
05-31-2001, 01:09 AM
I guessed 25-50. I was a food vendor at the Truman Sports Complex in high school and college and so I made almost all of the games in 82, 83, 85 and a lot of the games in 84, 86 and 87. I also attended a handful of games purely as a spectator when I was a kid. Sadly, I've never been to Arrowhead during the current glory era.

redsurfer11
05-31-2001, 05:55 AM
zero times to Arrowhead.Have been to about 15 Chiefs road games.

Mark M
05-31-2001, 06:05 AM
I've been going to games since 1981, so I guessed between 50-100. I also worked there as "crowd control" in high school. There wasn't much of a crowd to control, though. ;)

Who the hell has been more than 100? Is that you old geezer?

MM
~~Sees Arrowhead as a second home in the fall.

Skip Towne
05-31-2001, 06:18 AM
Chiefs fans have the reputation of being very loyal. Well, in 1985 I bought season tickets & my ticket number was in the low 13,000's. There was LOTS of room at Arrowhead stadium. Except for the faders and Donx crowds (?) of 20,000 were common.

lakeman
05-31-2001, 06:42 AM
I have had tickets twice. The first time was from '76 to '79. Those were some glory years. I then went to California for four years. I was a Chiefs fan in Raider territory (LA), OH, Happy Day!!. I returned in time for the '83 season and have had tickets since. My tickets have gone from 16.00/ea per game to 55.00 and parking has gone from 4.00 to 20.00 per game but I am still there. We converted an old school bus to a Chiefs bus back in '95 because we were tired of loading and unloading all the tail gating equipment we collected over the years. Back in the days before Carl and Marty the only enjoyment was the party before the game. I guess there was a couple of Monday Night Raider a@@ kickings mixed in there that was quite enjoyable. I have missed two games since '83 and don't plan on missing anymore. Go CHIEFS!!!! :)

Alton deFlat
05-31-2001, 06:46 AM
Sadly, only twice!!! Chiefs won both games. First time against the Chargers, then the playoff overtime win against the Steelers. Darn near froze my *** off at that game. Well worth it though.

Gaz
05-31-2001, 06:48 AM
One glorious time. We beat the Broncos and Elway with Bono at the helm.

It was cold and wet and miserable and wonderful.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready for a return engagement.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-31-2001, 06:55 AM
I hadn't attended a pro football game in person until 1999, when I went to the Chiefs/Ravens game at Baltimore. I've since gone to a couple more Ravens games (mainly because Ravens' Stadium is only about 15 miles from the house and since I can't see the Chiefs here, might as well watch SOME football).

I intend to be at the Chiefs/Redskins game and maybe the Chiefs/Jets game if I can finagle some tickets there.

Going to Arrowhead is definitely one of the things I really want to do. Before, when I lived in Missouri, I never had the cash to spend on stuff like the Chiefs. Now that I've actually got a little play money, I'm halfway across the country from them. (sigh)

TANJ

bkkcoh
05-31-2001, 07:14 AM
I have also been to 3 away games: Buffalo, Chicago and Indy.

Arrowhead is the coolest place to watch a football game though..

The others just can't match the atmosphere.

:D

redhed
05-31-2001, 07:20 AM
I've never had season tics myself, but I've got a lot of friends who do. It seems that every playoff game I go to the Chiefs lose it anyway. I was there for the Grbac meltdown against enver. Also was there for Petey's 52 yd knuckler that beat 'em in the reg season.

redhed
05-31-2001, 07:26 AM
thanks, bkkcoh

San Diego
Minnesota (pre-season)
Chiefs lost both

SD is too small, Minn is also, but the air press thing is not too nice either. Arrowhead in a walk!!

Did anybody feel wierd wearing Chiefs stuff? I felt wierd when they booed the Chiefs!

redhed
05-31-2001, 07:33 AM
Tapawingo!! Nifty area. Not too far from the stadium!
Had a bud that lived out there some time ago.

Iowanian
05-31-2001, 07:39 AM
I think I've been to 4....Seatle, NE, Faiduhs(W-27-0) and last years Donk game...who said it was too cold?..I was plenty "warmed Up" before the game though...

I'm plan to make at least one game this year. If I take a new job that is 2hrs closer, maybe a couple a year.

keg in kc
05-31-2001, 07:56 AM
I've been to 4, all last season: Indy, San Diego, Denver and Carolina.

Will see more, I'm sure, since I live 10 minutes from the stadium. ;)

shakesthecat
05-31-2001, 08:21 AM
My first was around 89-90(too lazy to look it up) against Washington. Had my first Jello-shot that beautiful day. Chiefs win behind DeBerg.

The past few years I've been able to go to about 2-3 a year.

My favorites were Montanas first home game. A MNF against the Donks. Took my Dad to his first game. A great night!

The Bills game when McMillan broke up Todd Collins pass in the endzone as time ran out.

The Vikings Sunday night game a couple years ago was a blast.

Worst game. The Colts regular season game in Dec about 4-5 years ago. As cold as the Denver game was last year, that Colts game was much worse. And we lost.

I've already got tics to 5 games this year, so I'm ready for this poor excuse for a summer we're having to end.

alanm
05-31-2001, 08:39 AM
Sadly I've never been to Arrowhead since it's been open. Saw quite a few games at old Municipal Stadium downtown. I usually catch them once a year at Pile High and it's been sweet the last couple of years. I just hope it continues. :D

Otter
05-31-2001, 08:47 AM
Only ever saw the Chiefs play once.

It was against Philly in Philly. I was the only person in red and had beer and what I like to believe was spit all over my shirt because I was cheering for the wrong team. Philly stadium is the vilest place Iíve ever been in my life. Never been to Raiders game for comparison.

I should be heading to Arrowhead this year for my first home game.

ChiefinNE
05-31-2001, 10:18 AM
I have made the drive twice from Boston, the first time was two years ago to see the Chiefs/Pats game when Vinatieri hit the upright, and the second time was for the Raiders game last year. Arrowhead was better than I imagined especially after watching games in Foxboro Stadium, thank god they are building a new one. http://patriots.com/MediaWorld/MediaDetail.sps?languageid=0&id=80&pageid=2

cjderby
05-31-2001, 12:19 PM
Boy, this is one surprising poll, at least to me! I'm shocked that 3/4 of the population so far fall in the "10 games or less" categories. Must be alot more out-of-towners on this board than I realize!

I'm in the 50-100 range, season tix since '91. With a 3 hr drive, I miss a game or two a year, rarely go to pre-season, throw in a few playoff games, and a few games in the '80's. Plus a couple road games, too. I figure I'm somewhere around 80, didn't realize how fortunate I am!

stevieray
05-31-2001, 02:02 PM
watched it being built, skateboarded it's parking lots, and finally made it to my first game last year against Cap'n hook and the Faiders...Arrowhead's design was light years ahead of it's time. Invesco field is a clone, like many others. There is nothing like singing Home of the Chiefs, or we're gonna beat he h#ll out of you with 75,000 fans. Pretty incredible.

Will at least make it back this year for 2 games, and of course, will go to Invesco.com, I mean the New Age Pile High this September.

AJKCFAN
05-31-2001, 02:10 PM
Stevie Ray:

Got a message from a Studio B over on Pigskin Park and I was wondering if it was you.

stevieray
05-31-2001, 02:12 PM
Yup. any ideas for the logo?

AJKCFAN
05-31-2001, 02:21 PM
Well, the Logo Contest has already been started up over on the Foundation site, which is here...

http://37forever.homestead.com/links_21.html

I know you'd have something really good ready, but to have a new vote after 42 votes have been counted can't be done.

The ONLY thing that could possibly be done is to have you in contact with the winner of the contest, as far as a two-person final logo, but that's tricky. I don't know if that's possible either.

I'm glad you're aware that we tried to hunt you down in a huge way. Several attempts were made to bring you aboard and the door is still very much open for you to come join us.

You have said you are looking to come to Arrowhead twice this year. Why not Opening Day weekend for Chiefs-Raiders, with the Foundation Meeting going down the day before?

I feel bad we can't get your talents involved in this, but I'd feel worse to reset the vote. We need to have something ready to be marketed and the meeting is 100 days from tomorrow. So, this would be a bind and we would HAVE to fnd a way to get you involved in a different way.

Adam

"37 Forever"

California Injun
05-31-2001, 02:55 PM
1984 was the first trip to Arrowhead for this out-of-towner. The Chiefs actually came into that home opener 2-0 after upset road wins. We took on the Raiders with Jim Plunkett and Marcus and those a-holes beat us in the last seconds with a Jim Breech FG (22-20) Marcus made a clutch 3rd down catch to set up the gamewinner.

I've been to 9 other games since then for a total of 10.

Bills, Packers, Skins, Steelers(x2), Raiders (x3), Oilers, Chargers,

Being in Cali, I am reduced to a Road Warrior...

LA Raiders: (1983-94)

San Diego: (1983-97) Missed game in 1987

LA Rams: (D.T. picked up loose fumble in the 4th (27-20)

Arizona: (Bono's 76 yard scamper) Stadium is HORRIBLE!!!

Denver: (1994 MNF Montana Miracle!) 70 feet from Davis catch!!

Miami: (the infamous Kreig/Mitchell match-up as Montana/Marino were hurt)

New England: (2000 Elvis MNF debacle)

San Francisco: (28-3 loss and last years 21-0 whipping)

Oakland: (Grbac to Rison on MNF and lived to tell you about it!!)
Also witnessed 26-7 whuppin' by the Raiduhs with it raining like hell in 1996.

The two games I missed the most were in 1995 and 1997 when I had plane recervations and ducats in hand for the AFC Championship Games.

It still kills me to this day.....

chieffanphil
05-31-2001, 06:37 PM
I have only made it to Arrowhead once and that was the home opener in 1987 against Marty and the Cleveland Browns and we lost 6 to 3 . I got to see the Chiefs in St. Louis against the old Cardenals which also was a loss and in at preseason game against the Vikings in Memphis which was a loss . I did finally see a win in New Oleans with Joe Montana as our QB . I want to come back to Arrowhead badly and bring my son . Go Chiefs

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2001, 06:45 PM
If I was there I would be at every game. Since I am on the West Coast I still have not made it there. Maybe this year, I hope. I really want to go to Arrowhead and try some of that famous KC barbacue and see those Chiefs play. Maybe get to meet some of you clowns.

BIG DADDY

IS going to have to make it a point to get out there.

keg in kc
05-31-2001, 06:53 PM
That famous KC barbecue is reason enough to come all by itself.

Lots and lots and lots of good food around here (as demonstrated by my girth). ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
05-31-2001, 07:55 PM
"How Many Times Have You Been To Arrowhead To Watch Chiefs Games?"...

Alot.

kcfanintitanhell
05-31-2001, 08:07 PM
When I lived in KC from 86 to 90, I had a good friend that was a partner in a law firm that had (probably still has) 4 season tickets. I don't know what the deal was, if the firm had actually forgotten that they had them or just didn't know how to use them for their purposes, but from 87 through the 90 season I had free primo tickets to every home game, courtesy of a law firm (which will remain anonymous). I went to the Chiefs-Titans game last year in Gnashville, but it wasn't the same. But one thing that is really weird about Adelphia Coliseum is that from the outside it looks nothing like Arrowhead, but inside it looks very similar, except for the south endzone, which is a mezzanine area. I have since discovered that the company that designed it also did Arrowhead.

I have probably been to 23 or 24 games there, but none since 90-and I sure miss it.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-31-2001, 08:12 PM
My aunt and uncle have been to more than 100 games between the both of them (both went to quite a few games before they were hitched). And they still attend the games, too. From Lenny to Bono, they've seen it all.

CG

The Chiefs run in my family:D

Herzig
05-31-2001, 08:48 PM
Ok..Im about a 3 1/2 hour drive from my Birthtown...but I have been there 15 times. Here's my Arrowhead log..

1993: Pittsburgh W (27-24OT)(AFC wildcard game) 1st CHIEFS game as well as my 23rd birthday. Montana brought us back and took us to OT where we squeaked out a W..sadly this was the last playoff game at Arrowhead the CHIEFS have won and last game on the old artifical turf(Thank the Man upstairs!!)

1994: San Diego L(13-14) Montana tried to bring us back in the rain to no avail

1995: Oakland W(23-17 OT) Hasty returns INT in OT for the W

1996: San Diego L (28-14) Bono benched after crowd starts chanting "Gan-non"

1997: Buffalo W(19-14) 4th Qrt goal line stand Mighty Mouth INT
Seattle W(24-21 OT) Marcus Allen saves the day
Oakland W(30-0) SPANKING 93 TOTAL yards given up by CHIEFS D
Denver L(14-10) Divisional Playoff...still have the nightmares..watched the crowd exit
until the place was empty...Cried for 30 minutes then drove by myself
back to Arkansas...

1998 Oakland W(28-8) DT sacks Jeff G 6 times, once for a safety..I had front row seats lower
level..bought them before the game...TOOL was played during the
Navy seal parachute drop(where is Bob Dole?)
Jets L(17-14) Famous Grback comment "i cant throw and catch too"
Arizona W(?)
Dallas W (21-17) Last time Marty walked Arrowhead's sidlines

1999 Denver W (28-14) Payback for 97'
New England (16-14) Vinetari doinks it of the upright to preserve the W

2000 Oakland L (17-14) IMO this was the game that killed our season last year...

The Chiefs have a 10-5 record when I go...I try to make it to at least 1 a year..

You have to go there if you have never been...Im addicted!!

Frazod
05-31-2001, 09:25 PM
I've been five times. First time, when I was a little kid, for a preseason game between the Chiefs and St. Louis Cardinals. Had no comprehension of the game and don't remember anything about it or who won.

Last four are fairly recent, and the Chiefs won all of them
Preseason game against Jacksonville in '98.
Pittsburgh in '99.
San Diego and Denver in '00.

Looking forward to a game in KC next year, but I have no idea at this point what/when it will be. The trek to Arrowhead will be an annual event for me as long as I'm able to do it.

I've also seen the Chiefs twice in Chicago. One preseason game that they won 14-10 (I got Marcus Allen's autograph at that one) and the horrid opening day loss in '99.

AJKCFAN
05-31-2001, 09:26 PM
Greg:

Who knows? We may have already run into each other at Arrowhead! 3 of my 6 visits to Arrowhead have been games which you went to. I still have my ticket stubs, in case you'd like to check.

I'm 5-1 in Chiefs games at Arrowhead.

1995: Chiefs 23, Raiders 17 (OT)
Could there possibly be a better game to make your 1st appearance at Arrowhead than this classic?

1996: Chiefs 19, Raiders 3
Hasty does it again, 90 yard fumble return TD after DT sack!

1997: Chiefs 19, Bills 14
This game had it all. A Vanover kickoff return TD. Gunther's proudest moment as D Coordinator (goal line stand). And most unbelieveable, Todd Collins' lone actual game action at Arrowhead... too bad he was a Bill. He really didn't play that bad that game.

1998: Chiefs 28, Raiders 8
Boy, were the Chiefs great that night. Thought it was the start of a very special year. DT 6 sacks and the called safety. Grbac's injury started the problem. O'Neal's hit on George.

1999: Chiefs 31, Lions 21
This was the true start of how good Tony Gonzalez was going to be, hauling in 2 TD passes. Joe Horn also caught a TD, preview of how well he'd be as a Saint the next year.

2000: Colts 27, Chiefs 14
Even in defeat, it was great to be there, seeing the DT ceremony. It was so depressing not to see them win one for DT that day.

I got good karma out there at Arrowhead. Next playoff game at Arrowhead, I'm there to end our playoff hex...

Raiderhader
05-31-2001, 09:43 PM
Sadly, I have never been. But I hope to change that this season.

The only NFL gane i have seen in person was the Chiefs against the Oilers in the Astro Dome. Aside from losing the game, it was a cool experience. I can only imagine how much more fun Arrow Head will be.

AJKCFAN
05-31-2001, 09:48 PM
Jamie:

I have this feeling you'll be there this year and I have a feeling it will be on Opening Day, along with so many other 37 Forever Foundation members from this BB coming in for the game and the meeting.

Hey, it's the 37th post!

"37 Forever"