PDA

View Full Version : Major props to the D

siberian khatru
09-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Haven't seen a pass rush like that in ... well, ages.

Allen, Hali, DJ, Boone -- bringing the heat.

the Talking Can
09-23-2007, 03:07 PM
amen brother

Crashride
09-23-2007, 03:14 PM
its cause that vikings line is "soft"

|Zach|
09-23-2007, 03:16 PM
God bless our defense.

BigRock
09-23-2007, 03:17 PM
They gave up that early TD drive, then Minnie's only score was the FG that came when Huard turned the ball over and they were already in FG range. 7 points, not bad at all.

I just hope Gun keeps them playing agressively like that from here on out. I'm sure Solari will revert right back to his usual gameplan, but Gun had to like what he saw when he turned up the pressure.

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Jared had a great game, but I love love love Hali's relentlessness. The guy brings full force on every play.

Fruit Ninja
09-23-2007, 03:23 PM
The defense played amazing in the 2nd half. Peterson was chewing us up, then they just put the handcuffs on em.

KcMizzou
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I think that #69 might turn out to be pretty good.

#56 wasn't too bad either, despite what hitscraque says.

talastan
09-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Game ball to Hali, Allen, and DJ

This game would've been a blowout if not for these three!!

ThaVirus
09-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Jared had a great game, but I love love love Hali's relentlessness. The guy brings full force on every play.

I agree. Did you see how tired he was on that second sack at the end of the game ? Still, he kept it in high gear and got to the QB when he could have just taken the play off. Loved it...

Valiant
09-23-2007, 03:41 PM
They still are giving up too many rushing yards per attempt imo.. That will get them in trouble when they face a good offense.. i want to say they had 6+ runs of 10 or more..

Luckily their Solari of a coordinator quit running the ball as much...

Short Leash Hootie
09-23-2007, 03:43 PM
where's mecca to tell us how average our defense is?

KcMizzou
09-23-2007, 03:43 PM
where's mecca to tell us how average our defense is?I wanna hear about how shitty Derrick Johnson is.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 03:46 PM
They played well, but it is much like playing us, a 1 dimentional team with 1 player.....who still put up 150 total.

And I never said "the defense sucks" I said it's good-league average, it's not top 10 like was getting pumped before the year.

We just played a bad offensive team, good performance either way though.

siberian khatru
09-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I wanna hear about how shitty Derrick Johnson is.

That's Parker's job on Monday. :p

dj56dt58
09-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Game ball to Hali, Allen, and DJ

This game would've been a blowout if not for these three!!
Might wanna give a piece to D-Bowe as well

KcMizzou
09-23-2007, 03:48 PM
where's mecca to tell us how average our defense is?Well, there he is...

Derrick Johnson's a bust!

Extra Point
09-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I think I'll buy Jared Allen a beer if I ever run into him.

Frankie
09-23-2007, 03:49 PM
The MOST impressive thing about this D was THE SECOND WIND!! After being on the field almost all of the first half I really thought they would be pooped out and soft the second half. They actually played as if the first half never happened.... Wow!

Mecca
09-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Well, there he is...

Derrick Johnson's a bust!

You're being dramatic, no one said he was awful or a bust.

We were just saying to this point in his career as his stats bear out and does his play he's been a league average player. Which isn't exactly a good thing for where he was drafted...

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 03:50 PM
They played well, but it is much like playing us, a 1 dimentional team with 1 player.....who still put up 150 total.

And I never said "the defense sucks" I said it's good-league average, it's not top 10 like was getting pumped before the year.

Does this mean that you recant your prediction that we were going to get run over by their superior offense?

KcMizzou
09-23-2007, 03:51 PM
You're being dramatic, no one said he was awful or a bust.

We were just saying to this point in his career as his stats bear out and does his play he's been a league average player. Which isn't exactly a good thing for where he was drafted...If you think he's average, I like to see a good LB. Did you watch this game?

KcMizzou
09-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Does this mean that you recant your prediction that we were going to get run over by their superior offense?Suddenly they aren't so good.

Funny how that works.

Tactical Funky
09-23-2007, 03:53 PM
I think I'll buy Jared Allen a beer if I ever run into him.
LMAO

FAX
09-23-2007, 03:55 PM
There's a lot to like about the defense. It's good to see some passion and game-changing plays from DJ, Allen, and Tamba. Ty Blah is somewhat of a concern, though.

A guy could get excited about this team if we could get the offense on track.

FAX

Mecca
09-23-2007, 03:55 PM
If you think he's average, I like to see a good LB. Did you watch this game?

1 game against a bad offense totally changes what he's been the previous 2 years....he made 4 very noticeable plays, he still has a tendency to disappear at times.

If you think he's better than league average are you telling me there aren't 10 OLB's that are better than him?

Also for Rainman I never said they would 'steam roll us" I said the 2 teams were similar and they would both struggle on offense, which they did. I thought AD against us was a better matchup than LJ vs them which was also true..

The Chiefs actually passed and made some plays in the pass game which shocked me knowing Herm.

cdcox
09-23-2007, 03:59 PM
The defense played a great game. For the first time in years, I had confidence that they'd hold during the last 8 minutes after we scored our TD.

Why did it take us until DJ's 3rd year to figure out that he is much more effective shooting into the backfield? He IS average in pass coverage and in read-and-react run schemes. He does much better when he is attacking.

Next week will be a real test for our defense. Will we be able to keep a multidimensional offense in check when we are on the road? We still have some proving to do.

Wa-Z
09-23-2007, 04:10 PM
They got me solid points on my FF. Only 10 pts allowed...5 sacks...1 fumble recovery!

DenverDanChiefsFan
09-23-2007, 04:11 PM
The MOST impressive thing about this D was THE SECOND WIND!! After being on the field almost all of the first half I really thought they would be pooped out and soft the second half. They actually played as if the first half never happened.... Wow!Not a true statement. Stats at half time showed TOP almost even - I believe the Chiefs had a 6 second advantage. They were impressive in the 2nd half though.

Mr. Laz
09-23-2007, 04:11 PM
they aren't great .... but they are scrappy.

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I could've sworn that Hali had 3 sacks today, 2 late in the game and 1 early. I only see him credited with 2, though. Bummer.

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 04:14 PM
In fact, the announcers at one point mentioned that we had six sacks, and I only see us with five now.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 04:15 PM
I think Holcomb got back to the line on that one when he ran around with probably wasn't counted as a sack when the official states were put out.

Braincase
09-23-2007, 04:18 PM
In fact, the announcers at one point mentioned that we had six sacks, and I only see us with five now.

1 intentional grounding = sack.

dj56dt58
09-23-2007, 04:19 PM
They got me solid points on my FF. Only 10 pts allowed...5 sacks...1 fumble recovery!
Same here...I just picked them up yesterday

Mecca
09-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't play them next week....

Green Bay's defense is better than ours and they gave up 24 to SD in Lambeau...

dj56dt58
09-23-2007, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't play them next week....

Green Bay's defense is better than ours and they gave up 24 to SD in Lambeau...
GBs D is not better than ours...

dirk digler
09-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I semi agree with Mecca. We basically played against Peterson today because he got about 90% of the plays.

I will wait until next week against SD to see where we are at.

HypnotizedMonkey
09-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Rayner is my hero.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 04:32 PM
GBs D is not better than ours...

It is, watch them play.......that D is awesome.

Charles Woodson is as good as he ever was again and AJ Hawk is a star, that team has an outstanding defense with stars on it.

Zebedee DuBois
09-23-2007, 04:41 PM
God bless our defense.

They are responsible for our win.

Rain Man
09-23-2007, 04:46 PM
It is, watch them play.......that D is awesome.

Charles Woodson is as good as he ever was again and AJ Hawk is a star, that team has an outstanding defense with stars on it.

How many Packers games have you seen? I haven't seen them at all yet this year.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 04:50 PM
How many Packers games have you seen? I haven't seen them at all yet this year.

I was flipping today...I watched them a bunch last week.

That team is very good, I think they can contend for the Bowl out of the NFC, I'm more impressed with them than the Bears.

penchief
09-23-2007, 04:56 PM

(True to a degree) But you aren't taking into account how much we've improved when considering even that fact.

You're just a Negative Nellie Henny Penny. And to think that a Type-A, anal-retentive, obsessive-compulsive like myself has to be the one to bring this to your attention only says how much you need help.

Our defense is good. Accept it. I'm basking in the glow of our defense and Bowe.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Well good is subjective, it's improved I think it's somewhere between 11-15 in the league. I however don't think it's good enough to carry this team to wins against teams that are league average or better...

cdcox
09-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Well good is subjective, it's improved I think it's somewhere between 11-15 in the league. I however don't think it's good enough to carry this team to wins against teams that are league average or better...

We might crack top 10 this year. But only an elite defense is going to carry your team to a win against a decent NFL team on a regular basis. And we aren't there.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
We might crack top 10 this year. But only an elite defense is going to carry your team to a win against a decent NFL team on a regular basis. And we aren't there.

And that is pretty much what people are expecting if they think this team is going to win more than 4 games...

cdcox
09-23-2007, 05:25 PM
And that is pretty much what people are expecting if they think this team is going to win more than 4 games...

If from hear forward, we made a commitment to throwing downfield regularly on first and second down, I could see us winning 7-9 games if we didn't have too many injuries.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 05:26 PM
If from hear forward, we made a commitment to throwing downfield regularly on first and second down, I could see us winning 7-9 games if we didn't have too many injuries.

Now you are speaking Carl's language.

cdcox
09-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Now you are speaking Carl's language.

I don't advocate that direction. Start Croyle and let the chips fall where they may.

I still think we will be worse next year, with more age and wear on the OL, CB, Gonzo and LJ.

We still have a lot of holes to fill on this roster.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I don't advocate that direction. Start Croyle and let the chips fall where they may.

I still think we will be worse next year, with more age and wear on the OL, CB, Gonzo and LJ.

We still have a lot of holes to fill on this roster.

Oh man I said 5 wins this year before the year......what do you think we're gonna do go 2-14?

cdcox
09-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh man I said 5 wins this year before the year......what do you think we're gonna do go 2-14?

I think we'll win around 6 this year.

How low we sink next year depends a lot on the QB situation.

penchief
09-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I think we'll win around 6 this year.

How low we sink next year depends a lot on the QB situation.

Don't fool yourself. We're on the upswing. We'll win at least eight games this year and maybe more.

Discovering an offensive identity is not as difficult as it is on defense. Having playmakers like LJ, Bowe, Gonzo, and Croyle make offensive efficiency more easily acquired.

The good news is that we have a defense again and once we develop an offensive strategy that works, we will be formidable.

This team has been built appropriately, IMO. We built the defense and we have playmakers on offense. Things are looking up, IMO.

KcMizzou
09-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Derrick Johnson's a bust.... worthless.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 05:51 PM
8 games......ok who are we gonna beat, have you taken a look at that schedule?

Also they do not look "formidable" you need to score more than 13 to be considered that...

cdcox
09-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Don't fool yourself. We're on the upswing. We'll win at least eight games this year and maybe more.

Discovering an offensive identity is not as difficult as it is on defense. Having playmakers like LJ, Bowe, Gonzo, and Croyle make offensive efficiency more easily acquired.

The good news is that we have a defense again and once we develop an offensive strategy that works, we will be formidable.

This team has been built appropriately, IMO. We built the defense and we have playmakers on offense. Things are looking up, IMO.

Law already looks washed up and Surtain has lost a step.

We have 2 young safeties that still have question marks surrounding them.

We have one old LB and a MLB that is functional, but not a playmaker.

We have some young talent at DT, but only one bonafide starter to date.

So on D we need at least 3 new starters very soon, maybe more depending on how talent develops.

On offense, we need at least two new starters on OL. Maybe a QB. Definitely a wide out. Gonzo's productivity is going to start falling off.

We still have a lot of old and marginal starters on this team.

penchief
09-23-2007, 05:55 PM
8 games......ok who are we gonna beat, have you taken a look at that schedule?

Also they do not look "formidable" you need to score more than 13 to be considered that...

I think we're headed in the right direction. You don't. I guess we'll see how it ends up.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 05:56 PM
You disparaged Gonzalez, you will now be attacked for speaking the truth about him...

penchief
09-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Law already looks washed up and Surtain has lost a step..

I might tend to agree but I think it's too early to tell.

We have 2 young safeties that still have question marks surrounding them.

I think Page and Pollard are still ascending. Pollard may not make it as a safety but he's got talent that can help this team.

We have one old LB and a MLB that is functional, but not a playmaker.

I hope you're not talking about N. Harris because he made plays today, IMO. And I don't care how old Edwards is because he plays the game right. He sets an example. And DJ played good. So I don't know what you are talking about.

We have some young talent at DT, but only one bonafide starter to date.

Won't argue with that statement but we have many more new contributors who are gifted enough to be eventual starters.

So on D we need at least 3 new starters very soon, maybe more depending on how talent develops.
Every team is looking for 3 new defesnive starters every year.

On offense, we need at least two new starters on OL. Maybe a QB. Definitely a wide out. Gonzo's productivity is going to start falling off.

Don't necessarily disagree. If I were building the team I'd go Oline, CB, WR, DT (in that order).

We still have a lot of old and marginal starters on this team.

Not for long.

cdcox
09-23-2007, 06:13 PM
penchief - Nap Harris is servicable at MLB. But that is a position (along with S and OLB) where the dominant defenses have a dominant player. He's not a dominant MLB. If this team is going to be dominant, we need a big playmaker at one of those positions.

Second, you cannot ignore the age of players. The calandar says that Edwards, Law and Surtain are nearing the end of their career, no matter how they are playing on the field. It's just foolish to ignore the inevitable.

I have no gripes with DJ, now that they are playing him more as a pass rusher.

Dartgod
09-23-2007, 06:17 PM
I just got home and haven't read this thread, but major props to the offense for keeping our D off the field in the 2nd half so the D could dominate. That was the key to the game, IMO

KCChiefsMan
our D has been great, but these games are the only games we are capable of winning

cdcox
I just got home and haven't read this thread, but major props to the offense for keeping our D off the field in the 2nd half so the D could dominate. That was the key to the game, IMO

LMAO

Dartgod
09-23-2007, 06:29 PM
LMAOLaugh all you want, but our O controlled the ball in the second half. It gave our D a HUGE break compared to the first half.

cdcox
09-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Laugh all you want, but our O controlled the ball in the second half. It gave our D a HUGE break compared to the first half.

I agree that the offense did a good job avoiding 3 and outs in the second half (except our last possession). Even made a comment to that effect in the game thread. Sitll, I seriously thought you were doing a Herm parody. I hate that mentality for the offense, becuase I don't think it will lead to ultimate success.

Mecca
09-23-2007, 06:44 PM
The Chiefs and Vikings were on the field equal time in the first half, it wasn't like they got owned....

If you have to win TOP 2-1 to win games it's gonna be a long year for the Chiefs.

Cochise
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
When we started to throw the ball around and open up the throttle a little bit more, even with Huard's mediocre quarterbacking, things started to happen.

Sucked that it had to be 10-0 before we started trying to move the ball with some urgency.

KcMizzou
09-23-2007, 07:19 PM
When we started to throw the ball around and open up the throttle a little bit more, even with Huard's mediocre quarterbacking, things started to happen.

Sucked that it had to be 10-0 before we started trying to move the ball with some urgency.Yep. This O can still go.

movinbones
09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
DJ is having a great year! Its exciting to see a LB flying all over the field making plays everywhere. Allen and Hali are relentless. Even our DT's got some push. Did Tank get in the game much?? I didn't really see him today.

Dartgod
09-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I hate that mentality for the offense, because I don't think it will lead to ultimate success.
Oh, I completely agree. We've got some talent on our offense. To bad Herm is handcuffing them.

Fruit Ninja
09-23-2007, 07:53 PM
The Chiefs and Vikings were on the field equal time in the first half, it wasn't like they got owned....

If you have to win TOP 2-1 to win games it's gonna be a long year for the Chiefs.
As long as they keep getting better. I think thats what all coaches want. As the season goes on you get better. I dont think we are a good football team, but we have a chance to be average. Thats not ok with me, but thats what i think this year is going to turn out to be since we are in what they say a "transition" period.

the Talking Can
09-23-2007, 07:59 PM
i loved the last play when Hali got the sack, swung him around, and DJ flys in with a shoulder and pops him for one final humiliation....that's the attitude I've been waiting to see...

I also liked how they lined up DJ, Hali, and Allen eveywhere...

Hali played both sides, Allen played tackle on some plays, and DJ lined up at DE in what was basically a 3-4, I think...we are really taking advantage of their atheticism and speed...

beer bacon
09-23-2007, 08:01 PM
DJ is having a great year! Its exciting to see a LB flying all over the field making plays everywhere. Allen and Hali are relentless. Even our DT's got some push. Did Tank get in the game much?? I didn't really see him today.

He got a good push on a couple plays when Boone went out for a bit after he got his boo boo.

Buehler445
09-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Thoughts on the Defense.

Overall: Got smoked my Peterson in the first half. Pulled their heads out of their asses in the second half and made some amazing plays. In the second half, they made Minnesota look like the team they are. They saved the game for the horrible offensive performance, save the TD drive.

DE: Excellent play. Very good pressure on the QB. JA came out fighting. Excellent Performance.

DT: Good pressure on the QB. Missed some tackles on Peterson.

LB: DJ looked amazing rushing the QB. As a unit got destroyed by Peterson in the first half. Stepped up and played serious ball the second half. While there were missed tackles, this unit is significantly improved.

CB: Law got smoked by Peterson TWICE. Didn't cover really well either. A couple of times was saved by Holcomb. Surtain looked a little slow and had that rediculous horrible aweful dumbass penalty in the red zone.

S: Pollard and Page looked young. Pollard missed some assignments but also made some good plays. Page seemed to be tackling better. I think this unit is improving. Greg Wesley came in and made a nice stop, and got smoked one time. Same ol same ol for him.

THANK GOD FOR THIS UNIT. They played well today.

Frankie
09-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I think Holcomb got back to the line on that one when he ran around with probably wasn't counted as a sack when the official states were put out.
Yep. That's how I saw it too.