PDA

View Full Version : Could Glenn Be On His Way Out Of NE?

The Bad Guy
05-31-2001, 01:17 PM
With the signing of Torrance Small and Charles Johnson, are the Patriots looking to dump Terry Glenn?

It would appear to me that they are leaning that way.

They have added Bert Emmanuel, Small, and Johnson to already go along with Glenn, Brown, Calloway, Patten and Tony Simmons.

Now, I have no concrete evidence to prove that the Pats are looking to ditch the speedy receiver but it would make some sense.

Johnson and Small have been signed over the last two days, and the Pats showed a serious interest in both after Glenn's run in with the law.

Now how does this relate to KC?

I think he would be an excellent pickup for this offense.

Yes, he comes with some baggage, but he also has serious skill.

A DA, Gonzo, Glenn, Minnis and Morris combination would be one of the most potent 5 receiver set in the entire NFL.

I know this was brought up on a poll a while back, but I'm looking to guage opinions again especially after the Pats signed two receivers that could potentially show Terry the door in New England.

Cormac
05-31-2001, 01:24 PM
That does make a scary receiver line-up. But the simple fact is, IMO, we have addressed the offense repeatedly all off-season, and I don't want to see more money go that way, to the neglect of a totally unproven D. Our depth at WR is still better (without Glenn) than our depth at DT, S, CB, DE, OLB in that order. JMO.

keg in kc
05-31-2001, 01:31 PM
Not sure we could afford him without cutting some fat from somewhere else. We still have 4 rookies left to sign for at least 209K each, and releasing Carlton Gray will only free up in the neighborhood of 500K (I think, that could be wrong). Maybe we could restructure some other folks, but to be honest, I think we've pretty much restructured/re-signed everyone who could shave a significant amount from the cap (except for Trent Green - we could save around a million on him with a long term deal I'd imagine, but I've seen nothing to indicate we're going to lengthen his deal although that was originally stipulated when the first whispers of the trade appeared). Of course, the same goes for any other position we'd think about filling, be in Glenn or someone else. We're only a few thousand dollars under the cap right now, and that's only counting 51 contracts...

It'd be fine with me if we didn't overpay and if he had to earn a job. He has never impressed me with his play in New England, and he always seemed to be someone who was less than he should be.

The Bad Guy
05-31-2001, 01:35 PM
Cormac,

I agree we have needs on defense, but I don't think depth is an issue at DT, or CB. The issue is who will step up if anyone.

At CB, they have Crockett, Bartee, Warfield, Dennis, Allen, McCllough, and Gray.

As it stands right now, I only see one corner on the market who would definitely beat out Crockett, Bartee, and Dennis for a starting job. That man is Eric Davis, but there is no way KC will add another CB unless most of these guys flat out suck in training camp.

I agree with the majority that Crockett is terrible, but Robinson favors him, and it's unlikely that he will be unseated from his starting job unless he becomes injured in training camp.

At DT we have Williams, Browning, Martin, Ransom and that beast Terdell Sands. There is depth there as well, just noone really proven. Sands will never crack the gameday roster, but from the way Vermeil talks, Martin could end up as a starter from how he raved about him.

I agree at safety and linebacker. Outside of the starters we have zero depth. I hope Belser and Cadrez sign soon to address that.

I just threw the Glenn topic out there to stir up some more offseason discussion.

The Bad Guy
05-31-2001, 01:53 PM
Your right about Green.

They could restructure his deal if he was willing if an opportunity like Glenn came along.

I think that Gray and his $500k salary will be removed after June 1st. I also think Blackshear and his $750,000k salary will be gone as well. With Spears and Donald Willis battling it out for the guard spot, there will be no need to keep Blackshear around.

That right there will be 1.25 million in space to sign all our rookies and add someone like Cadrez, Belser, Farr and possibly a new kicker should Peterson falter.

I was just asking if an opportunity for a guy like Glenn came along, who would be for it, and who would be against it?

keg in kc
05-31-2001, 02:03 PM
That's true, I'd forgotten about Blackshear. He's a sure cut I think.

Maybe we could pull it off. Hopefully we'll get Cadrez under contract, and I'd even consider trying rookie Tynes as our kicker if he's as good as has been rumored if we're going to get rid of Peterson - I really don't see any of the available kickers as an upgrade. Belser would be a good pick-up depth wise, but I dont' know that that's going to happen.

As for Glenn, I'd consider him a higher talent at his position than most of the available players at other positions, and I think if we can afford him (or, he's cheap...), then he's worth it. Adding some quality depth to a position is more important to my mind than adding warm bodies to another position because we see a hole (like bringing in Farr at DT, I think he's done...).

Quality over quantity for me, thanks.

Of course, this is assuming NE drops him...

NaptownChief
05-31-2001, 02:42 PM
I would welcome him and his skills with open arms...

alphacroon
05-31-2001, 04:24 PM
I started that poll about him before. I would definitely try to sign him. You can't have enough weapons. Yes we have some depth issues on D. However, whoever made the point about him being a better talent at his position than the other FAs was right on point. I'd like us to sign Cadrez and Belser, but I'd definitely make a play for Glenn.

keg in kc
05-31-2001, 04:47 PM
Reading through this again brought one question to mind:

Why would Glenn want to come here?

He was the #1 wide out in New England, but we have Derrick Alexander set at #1, so at best he could be #2, and even then he'd have to compete with Morris for the job. If he wasn't able to beat out SlyMo, which is a legitimate possibility in my opinion, he'd then have to compete with Minnis, Horne and whomever else will be in contention for the #3, 4 and 5 spots on the roster. In short, coming here he'd be competing against a vet who is one of the best in the league, a 1st round draft pick entering his second season and a 3rd round draft pick who seems to be tailor-made to play in the slot.

Doesn't really seem like the best position to throw oneself into, especially when you consider that there are teams like Seattle and Philadelphia looking for vet leadership at his position. Would they want Glenn, too?

I'd think they would, and it might be hard to draw him here, because some other teams will flash him some $$$$ that we might not be able to afford to match...

alphacroon
05-31-2001, 04:51 PM
The draw here would be that in this offense he is likely to catch 75 passes this year. He won't get that in Philly even if he is number 1. You are right about Seattle, but he'd be playing with a QB who has never started before. However, we cannot compete with Seattle over money.

keg in kc
05-31-2001, 05:25 PM
He'd have to get into the lineup to catch 75 passes, that's the first problem. Then he'd have to compete with Alexander, Gonzo, Holmes/Richardson and at least one other receiver for the ball. In other words, a roster spot doesn't guarantee 75 catches, even for a WR.

This is my prediction for 2001, without considering Glenn:

Gonzo 85 catches for 1050 yards (12.3 ypc)
Alexander 80 catches for 1450 yards (18.1 ypc)
Morris 65 catches for 900 yards (13.8 ypc)
Holmes 45 catches for 400 yards (8.9 ypc)
Richardson 40 catches for 320 yards (8.0 ypc)
Minnis 35 catches for 455 yards (13.0 ypc)

That's a total of 350 receptions for 4625 yards (13.2 ypc), which seems like a safe prediction (although a lot of yards I know - that's how I see it...).

Kind of early, and training camp may change my mind on what the offense will look like, but that's the way I see it. In any event, Tony Gonzalez will catch a significant number of balls that might go to a WR elsewhere...

NaptownChief
06-01-2001, 09:01 AM
If he stayed healthy, which is often times a big if with Glenn, he would be the most talented receiver on the team if you don't count Gonzo...

He would be no worse than the #2 WR and would most likely be #1 while Alexander would play the #2 spot...