PDA

View Full Version : Best 5 Chiefs RB's ever

Skip Towne
05-31-2001, 07:06 PM
Please rank your choice of the 5 best Chiefs running backs ever & why. KCJ will be along shortly with the stats. Ha Ha John!!

old_geezer
05-31-2001, 07:44 PM
1. Abner Haynes
2. Christian Okoye
3. Mike Garrett
4. Ed Podolack
5. Curtis McClinton

As you can tell, I like the old guys. I didn't vote for Marcus Allen because most people remember him as a Raider, and I left Joe Delaney off because of the short time he played. Could sure use 1 or 2 of those backs now. :cool:

Didn't say why. :rolleyes: Haynes; first of the great backs for the Chiefs, and I've got to get the Texans in there somewhere.2. Okoye; The Nigerian Nightmare was an awesome power runner. 3. Garrett; starter on KC's Super Bowl team and great scatback. 4. Podolack; Mr. Handyman. Did it all. Probably the most versatile back KC ever had. 5. McClinton; Did I say I love power runners?

keg in kc
05-31-2001, 07:50 PM
Since I've only followed the team for two years, I'll have to say:

1) Tony Richardson
2) Kimble Anders
3) Frank Moreau
4) Mike Cloud

I refuse to rank Donnell Bennett on any "good" list.

;)

(tongue firmly in cheek...)

Skip Towne
05-31-2001, 09:41 PM
I have them this way: 1. Podolack-as geezer said the most versatile we have ever had. 2.Garrett-the best scatback we have ever had 3. Okoye- the most powerful &productive we have ever had 4 Allen- the best short yardage runner I have ever seen with apologies to John Riggins 5. Delaney- the most profound impact in a short period of time-sadly

Saggysack
06-01-2001, 02:16 AM
1. Christian Okoye-undoubtably the best RB KC has seen IMO. Okoye had tremendous combination of power and speed that have not been matched by any player since him.

2. Abner Haynes-he owns to many KC records to be not on the list

3. Mike Garrett-P.Holmes skills are comparable to this 1965 Heisman Trophy winner. Garrett won a SB with KC let's hope his millenium twin can do the same.

4. Marcus Allen-I will always remember Marcus Allen as both a Chief and Raider, but if you ask him if he is either a Chief or Raider I'm pretty damn sure he would say Chief

5. Joe Delaney-His greatest greatness wasn't his playing ability, it was his heart.

6. Curtis McClinton-Wichita native, KU grad has to get some respect.

Mark M
06-01-2001, 06:14 AM
1. Joe Delaney: Homer vote here. He's the first superstar I remember with the Chiefs. If he would've played longer he'd probably own every Chiefs record, and could've turned the franchise around.
2. Mike Garrett: Helped win a SB for KC. Could run and catch (when given the opportunity)
3. Okoye: Man was he fun to watch. Only limit was his hands of stone.
4. Marcus Allen: The most silky-smooth runner I've ever seen. And no one had a better nose for the goal line.
5. Abner Haynes: What Cooter said. The guy was just plain good.

MM
~~Wonders who will be the next to make the list.

alanm
06-01-2001, 07:26 AM
You know we could have had Gale Sayers as a Chief. He was drafted by the Chiefs in 65 and they had him in KC and then those sneaky bastidges from Chicago snuck him out of the hotel he was in and signed him. :mad:

nickman
06-01-2001, 07:54 AM
1. Christian Okoye. Wonderful to watch.
2. Mike Garrett, should never have been traded to San Diego
3. Abner Haynes, only remember him slightly but stats bear out talent
4. Tony Reed, great back with terrible teams
5. Marcus Allen, even though he was old still better than Poddie in his prime.

jAZ
06-01-2001, 08:51 AM
alanm,

please expand on your Gale Sayers story, if you could.

Justin

BIG_DADDY
06-01-2001, 08:53 AM
Hey Geezer,

Sure good to see someone still giving Podolack his due. :)

NaptownChief
06-01-2001, 08:56 AM
Not necessarily the best career, but the best backs while they were at the top of the game:

1)Okoye

2)DeLaney

3)Podolack

4)Hayes

5)Word

nickman
06-01-2001, 08:59 AM
In reply to the Sayers comment. In those days we had better ablility to sign players than a lot of the AFL teams due to Hunt's money. That being said we were allowed to draft certain players that the league wanted to see in the AFL as a draw. Gale Sayers being from Kansas and exciting fell to us to draft due to locality and money. Bob Lilly was another that we lost out on.

Iowanian
06-01-2001, 09:29 AM
None of you have listed the Great Harvey Williams? :eek:

his kung-fu was strong. :rolleyes:

~always hated that chicken necked massengill

NaptownChief
06-01-2001, 09:42 AM
I just about put Harvey on my list but I just couldn't decide if I should go with Harvey #22 Williams or Harvey #44 Williams....They were both so explosive....

58Forever
06-01-2001, 09:56 AM
Christian Okoye
Marcus Allen
Mike Garrett
Ed Podalak
Joe Delaney

Not necessarily in that order.

Okoye because he was a solid performer year in and year out...if he could catch, he'd have been one of the best in the NFL for many years.

Allen...Because he's Marcus and a future Hall of Famer.

Garrett, carried us through the 60s, great skills.

Podalak...many of you may wonder why I picked him....he didn't have great speed, he never posted great numbers, but he brought a blue collar attitude to the game...he played far above his talent level...he did a lot of good things for the Chiefs that didn't necessarily translate into big time stats...

Delaney...could have been one of the best in the NFL...he had everything it takes to be a great...based on his short carreer and barring injury, he may have posted Barry Sanders like numbers for 5 or 6 years in a row....

nickman
06-01-2001, 09:59 AM
Whats really sad about discussing Chief running backs is that in 40 odd years of play our leading rusher is less than 5,000 yards. Okoye would probably struggle to make half the teams top 10 lists.

redhed
06-01-2001, 11:08 AM
Marcus - Just a wonder to watch
The Nightmare - Loved his style
Podolak - Mr. All-purpose yards
Kimble - OK, but one of my favs
Barry Word - Say what you want, but a 1,000 yd rusher

redhed
06-01-2001, 11:11 AM
Just about fell out of my chair on that one!
:D

What, no mention of the "real deal" Greg Hill?!?
HA!

alanm
06-01-2001, 11:24 AM
PappaJ, Back then before the leagues merged in 1970 they each held seperate drafts. The Chiefs drafted Sayers in 65 and brought him in to see Hunt. Pappa Bear Halas got real nervous and sent some people to KC after him. They were able to sneak him out of the hotel he was in and they offered him a no cut contract and lots of dinero for the time. Or so the story goes. Who knows what he would have done if he had got the chance to play in KC?

HC_Chief
06-01-2001, 11:33 AM
I always like Todd McNair - thought he should have got the ball more.

My Favorites:

1) Okoye (absolutely punished opponents)
2) Allen (slide & glide...'fell' for five...automatic on the goal line)
3) Anders (ineptly utilized)
4) Word (solid back, not great...solid)
5) Hill (explosive...fast...again, inept utilization)

I started following the NFL in '88 - KC being my team of choice(of course) - that's why no Podolack or Hayes or DeLaney, etc. ;)

Iowanian
06-01-2001, 12:11 PM
Red,

I actually liked Greg Hill... I thought he did a good job when given the ball..but we know the ending to that chief tail.

Always hated Harvey Williams...wouldn't give a silent fart for his sorry arse...he deserved to be a faiduh...the worst part is he acted like he thought he was the Cassius Clay of football.

~what a queiff.

Lightning Rod
06-01-2001, 01:09 PM
Billy Jackson
James Hadnotanyrunningability
Boyce Green
He Hate me
Eathon Horton

nickman
06-01-2001, 01:11 PM
And don't forget Arnold Morgado and Woody Green

AJKCFAN
06-01-2001, 04:09 PM
1. Joe Delaney: to think of a RB like him in the Chiefs offense they wish to feature this year would be the stuff dreams are made of. Glad to see how well he has fared with the other posters.
2. Christian Okoye: best power RB Chiefs have ever had. The embodiment of a successful smashmouth running attack.

3. Marcus Allen: smartest RB I've ever seen in Chiefs Red. It's a step down from #1 and #2. Truth is, we never got to see Allen in his prime and once he goes into the Hall of Fame as a Chief, # 32 gets retired, where Okoye and Delaney were better and # 35 is still being issued.

4. Kimble Anders: the jack of all trades, best FB Chiefs have ever had (though Richardson will be giving him a run for his money). Most tragic on-field injury of the last 10 years for the Chiefs was his injury. He was going to have a BIG 1999. Is a Ring of Fame in the cards for him?

5. Barry Word: just the best of the rest and a feel-good story of a man who got his life turned around. He silently put up very good numbers in his heyday.

Can't believe no one mentioned Larry Moriarty yet. Oilers and Chiefs fans will forever be blessed he came down the pike...

Logical
06-01-2001, 04:52 PM
Best straight ahead runner Okoye no doubt

Best nose for first down, touchdown Marcus Allen

Best overall skill (not enough time to prove performance) Delaney

Best overall performance proven Ed Podolak (by far and away)

Best outside runner by proven longterm performance Garrett

By far and away the top 5

Best blocker/pass catcher Kimbal Anders

Top of second tier Barry Word and Robert Holmes

Skip Towne
06-01-2001, 05:39 PM
I agree with you, nickman, about the dearth of top flite RB's in the last 40 years. That is why I asked for five.IMO it drops off pretty rapidly after that. As a KU fan I loved McClinton but I don't remember him doing much as a Chief. He was tall & ran too straight up. Todd McNair had the talent but was never allowed to display it.

tommykat
06-01-2001, 11:51 PM
AJKCFAN,
I agree with you 100%......however, I think Marcus Allen was a huge assest for the Chiefs! He was someone that you knew that when we needed that score he usually mad it most of the time.

Seems to me that he is more remembered as a Chief than a Raider..HUMMMMMM..:cool: works for me..

TEX
06-01-2001, 11:57 PM
1. Okoye
2. Garrett
3. Allan
4. Podalak
5. Anders

The last two on my list gave more with less talent...

Rausch
06-02-2001, 12:02 AM
1) Okoye...He WAS the Chiefs mentality personified, and the midwest mentality. He'd go past you or through you, your choice...
2)Allen...old, and his glory years gone, he added as much in fire and leadership as he did his GAURANTEE of short yardage and 6 pts.
3)Delaney, on potential alone. Probably the most talented Chief rb ever, but my favorite is Okoye.
4)Word, the one-two punch of Okoye/Word should be tought with the bible and the National Anthem in the midwest.
5)I'm only 24...you tell me! :D

Bob Dole
06-02-2001, 07:14 AM
In alphabetical order (How's that for a cop-out?):

Joe Delaney
Abner Haynes
Todd Mcnair
Christian Okoye
Ed Podalak

Random commentary:

Joe D. - Oh, what might have been, if not for the greatest personal sacrafice one can make.

Abner Haynes - Chiefs' career combined yardage leader.

Mcnair - Anyone who doesn't agree needs to remember he was primarily a 3rd down back, then go look at his YPC and YPR stats and tell Bob Dole he wasn't a major contributor.

Okoye - Made it <i>fun</i> to watch again and had a greater impact on the RB position than he's given credit, IBDHO.

Podalak - The first back Bob Dole really remembers watching. (Also the first Chiefs' autograph Bob Dole ever obtained.)

redhed
06-02-2001, 10:14 AM
IA'ian: I never liked Harvey Wiliiams. He was a huge bust in KC and I was glad when he went to the Raiders. I kept hopin' DT would snap his Ichabod Crane neck.

Never did understand why the Raiders thought he could be a tight end.