PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up Terry Glenn Article...

The Bad Guy
06-01-2001, 11:14 AM
Here is an article from the Providence Journal about the possibility of Terry Glenn being on the outside looking in in New England.

http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/story.pl/sports/05577192.htm

The fact that the Patriots signed both Small and Johnson raises questions about Glenn's future. Yesterday's signings mean the Pats have added four veteran receviers since the end of last season. They earlier had signed Bert Emanuel and David Patten. In all, the team now has 13 receivers on the roster.

Glenn apparently still has not met with team officials since facing assault charges for an incident last month with the mother of his five-year-old child. After the incident, Glenn stopped attending the team's passing camp that was going on at the time.

Glenn's situation could come to a head next week when everyone on the team has to be in attendance for a minicamp at Foxboro Stadium.

I know that some feel that they don't know why Glenn would want to come here. But, I think this offense can never have to many weapons. He would add the speed that we need on the outside, and I think he could catch around 60 balls as the #2 receiver.

Him and DA would be lethal on the outside.

Judging by all of Vermeil's comments on Morris, it would actually surprise me if he didn't seriously look at Glenn if he becomes available.

I'd even offer a conditional 2nd rounder, or definite third rounder to the Pats if they are thinking of canning him. Let them eat the signing bonus, and we can make do with the base salary.

It's all wishful thinking, there likely is a better chance the Chiefs will give me a shot at becoming Trent Green's backup.

But, if they ever saw the intangibles I bring to backyard football, i'm sure I could attract a 2 figure signing bonus.

keg in kc
06-01-2001, 11:29 AM
I'd even offer a conditional 2nd rounder, or definite third rounder to the Pats if they are thinking of canning him. Let them eat the signing bonus, and we can make do with the base salary.

Sounds like a plan to me:

2007 3040000
2006 1730000
2005 1340000
2004 1450000
2003 1065000
2002 675000
2001 480000

Hell, I might send them Mike Cloud and a 3rd rounder for that salary...

Doubt it'll happen, although I do seem to remember some talk pre-draft about DV wanting to pick up a vet receiver, and we did look at several guys like Ward and Kennison, and I don't think we really plan for Horne to do anything more than return kicks.

The Bad Guy
06-01-2001, 12:09 PM
Kyle,

Thanks for posting his base figures.

If he is only making 480,000 this year, we could squeeze him under the cap in a trade situation if we released Carlton Gray.

I think Vermeil will give him a look if he is available, only problem is, so will a bunch of other teams.

58Forever
06-01-2001, 12:15 PM
I don't think he fits the Vermiel mold...regardless of what actually happened with the assault charge...the fact is he was charged...I'm not sure the Chiefs and CP/DV want to bring in a player with legal baggage...I mean, we got rid of all those "types" last year...

Granted, Horne has had some problems in the past, but DV knows him and is willing to give him a chance...I just don't think there is room for Glenn given his present circumstances...

MrBlond
06-01-2001, 12:57 PM
Are we talking about NE releasing him or trading for him? If we are about trading for him, wouldnt they want Galloway type comp?

NaptownChief
06-01-2001, 01:00 PM
I would imagine they are considering releasing him cause they have a clause that allows them to take back most of his signing bonus...Once they get that back they would probably just release him...

However, if they trade him his value would be damaged a bit with this recent issue so they wouldn't get anything near Galloway comp...For that matter, if Dallas had it to do over they wouldn't give Galloway comp for Galloway.:D

MrBlond
06-01-2001, 01:09 PM
I agree that he wouldnt bring Galloway comp. but wouldnt that be where negotiations would begin? A 2nd or 3rd will not get it done, IMO.

keg in kc
06-01-2001, 01:23 PM
No way is he worth Galloway comp (Galloway wasn't even worth that, much, but that's not the point here):

Galloway averaged over 1000 yards (15.8 ypc) and 9 TDs per season prior to his '99 holdout. Galloway had 3 1000+ yard seasons (the season he missed that mark he had 987 yards) and the two years prior to the holdout he caught 12 and 10 TDs, respectively. A lot of folks considered him, at the time, to easily be one of the best WRs in the league, but that was tarnished somewhat (legitimately, IMO) by his holdout. Then he got injured out of the gates in Dallas, and now people seem to have forgotten how good he actually was...

In 5 years, Glenn's averaged less than 900 yards (14.2 ypc) and just a hair over 4 TDs per season. He has exceeded 1000 yards twice, but has also only gotten to the 6 TD mark twice, as well. Then there's the question of injury: he's missed 16 games in 5 years.

Big difference there, I think.

I agree, though, that it would cost more than a single pick in all likelihood, were New England receptive to trade talks...

keg in kc
06-01-2001, 01:49 PM
Punisher, the stats say he's a good deep threat, just a not pre-injury Joey Galloway good deep threat...

MrBlond
06-01-2001, 02:02 PM
I agree that Glenn is not worth 2 first rounders. But I think that IF they wanted to trade him that would be the jumping off point. I can't believe you could get him for less than multiple picks including a 1st rounder. Not worth it IMO. I have not seen a comparison but if Galloway and Keyshawn are worth 2 1st rounders than Glenn would be right behind.

keg in kc
06-01-2001, 02:12 PM
Keyshawn falls in between the two:

Prior to the trade, he averaged over 1000 yards per season but a lower average per catch, 13.5 (he caught a lot more balls, however...) and just a little less than 8 TDs per season.

MrBlond
06-01-2001, 02:23 PM
Either way, a single second rounder let alone a 3rd is wishful thinking. I have never been overly impressed with Glenn and any trade involving a 1st rounder would be a bad trade for us. IMO.

keg in kc
06-01-2001, 02:46 PM
Nah, punisher, I just like to base my statements on "facts" as much as on my own impression of people. On top of that, I haven't had much of an opportunity to watch any of these three, so the only way I can legitimately discuss them is by using stats.

Judging by what little I have seen, overall, I'd say Galloway, Keyshawn, Glenn, but here and now, with Galloway coming off his injury, then my list would exactly mirror yours...

And I agree, no way I'd give up two firsts for a WR, except maybe Moss, and I'd have to think long and hard on that one.

The Bad Guy
06-01-2001, 03:16 PM
If Glenn fails to show up for the next minicamp, I think he will be cut.

The reason they won't get a first rounder, or multiple picks is because they are gonna look to release him. Teams will know this.

Just like the whole Brunell issue. The reason noone put up a first rounder for him was because they believed he was either gonna sign and stay put, or the Jags were going to have to cut him.

I agree that Galloway didn't warrant two first rounders, and the Cowboys are certainly paying for that now.

If it comes down to cutting him because he is reluctant to show, or trading him, I believe that the Pats would take a second rounder and cut their ties with him.

I'm probably wrong, but there is a small chance that they could end up cutting him due to the signings of Torrance Small and Charles Johnson.