PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling drivers for DVD drive

ZepSinger
09-27-2007, 07:20 AM
I was trying to clean up a bunch of processes on my wife's PC using Autorun, and I accidently deleted the drivers for the DVD drive. This might be a dumb question, but how do I reinstall them?

On a related note- I'm probably going to have to do a clean XP install on her C drive- is that a tough task?

Thank you in advance, O PC hardware gurus... :wayne:

Simplex3
09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Hmm. You'd better hope you have the driver disk from the manufacturer. Though truthfully I'd expect that the actual DRIVERS are still there and it's just the software that you deleted. You'd have to dig pretty deep to actually get the drives deleted.

Does the drive still show up in My Computer?

As for the reinstall, there's really nothing "hard" about it. The trick is that unless you do an upgrade you're going to have to reinstall all of your software. If you actually do a clean install and format the drive obviously you'll have to backup all of your data somewhere else.

Fish
09-27-2007, 07:48 PM
You shouldn't need drivers for a DVD drive. Windows has generic DVD drivers built in. If you can still see it in Device Manager, and the driver is missing/corrupted it would have a yellow "!" sign next to it. If it does, uninstall it and restart and let Windows install it automatically when it boots back up.

ZepSinger
09-27-2007, 09:42 PM
You shouldn't need drivers for a DVD drive. Windows has generic DVD drivers built in. If you can still see it in Device Manager, and the driver is missing/corrupted it would have a yellow "!" sign next to it. If it does, uninstall it and restart and let Windows install it automatically when it boots back up.

Yeah, it is in Device Manager with a yellow ! next to the drive. So if I uninstall it there and reboot, Windows will load generic drivers for it. Crap, I knew that!!!
:banghead:

Thanks!!