PDA

View Full Version : opinions on the up and coming season

mcchiefs01
06-03-2001, 07:23 PM
I don't believe that the K.C. Chiefs will have it all together this year. Perhaps they will next
season. I just don't think they can get all together this season,i.e., all the new players, new coach as well as new staff. what is your opinion? msc6969@hotmail.com

keg in kc
06-03-2001, 07:38 PM
I voted "yes," meaning to vote "no".

We have all the pieces, I think, but it's asking far too much to expect the new staff to get this team into the playoffs, much less to the Super Bowl, in their first year. We will be competitive, though, and a legitimate playoff-calibre team by year's end, but the early-season struggle to master the new systems will mean we end up just a little short of the playoffs.

It will be the polar opposite of last year, we'll start out a bit on the inconsistent side, but we'll be a force to be reckoned with from about week 6 onward.

morphius
06-03-2001, 07:47 PM
Keg - I voted no because I meant no :)

Anyway, I don't expect a team under a whole new coaching staff, with a whole new playbook and scheme to make it to the superbowl. I'm not sure if this has ever happened before, and I will not epect this to be the first time.

Morphius
Doesn't mean I will not be wishing.

Logical
06-03-2001, 08:04 PM
I voted maybe because I want to be called a fence sitter. The real reason is because the question is worded innacurrately. It does not asks if the Chiefs will make the Super Bowl. It asks if they have the pieces to make the SB. So even if they do not it does not meand the pieces were not there. Besides with parity in the NFL anyone can make it to the SB just some strange breaks and the SD Chargers make it in the early 90s or the Atlanta Falcons in the late 90s, neither team really had the pieces based on the years before and after yet there they were in the SB.

donte'
06-03-2001, 08:09 PM
Any given Sunday, any given season, it could happen. As keg said, we have the personnel. Can we do it this season? Hope so:D

We have a tough schedule ahead of us but if Green's healthy, our receiving core can move efficiently, our RB's (Holmes, Richardson, and hopefully Blaylock) should be able to punch it home, and our Defense matured last year and should be a force to reckon with.

In our division the only concern I believe we have is the raiders, but Chuckie won't know how to call his plays against Vermeil. As far as the NFC LEast, I'm not too worried about them.

As long as we can get through this transition phase quickly and get on a roll, we'll be unstoppable! :D

keg in kc
06-03-2001, 08:14 PM
I believe only two coaches have won Super Bowls in their first year (could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure):

Don McCafferty with the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl V (1971). Don Shula was the former coach...

George Seifert with the 49ers in 1990 (SB XXIV). SF had won the previous year under Bill Walsh.

History ain't on our side...

KCJohnny
06-03-2001, 08:16 PM
They won't even win the AFC West (Donx).
The Chiefs will threaten to look amazing at times (against sub .500 teams) but look mortal against playoff teams.
Season defining moment: Green throws an INT while leading the Chiefs from behind in Washington killing the chances for an upset. Skins win 17-13.
KCJ

keg in kc
06-03-2001, 08:31 PM
I'd call that game exactly opposite, KCJ.

It may be Marty vs. Kansas City part deux (part one is preseason week 1...), but Trent Green will be the one out for blood. He lost at home to the Redskins last season live on Monday Night Football. He was 23-38 for 366 yards and 2 touchdowns, but threw a key interception in the red zone that would have brought the Rams to within 4 (31-27). (note: I don't know if you remember it, but that was the play where Orlando Pace tackled Champ Bailey, hehe ;)). Not to mention it's his first game in Washington since he left in '99 for St. Louis.

We will demolish the Redskins, 27-10.

We really have to win that game, because I'm getting married the next Saturday. My fiance's parents are Redskin fans, and they'll be here for both weekends (we're all going to the races at the Kansas Speedway on the day of the game in Wash. so I'll miss it...). I really don't want my marriage to start off on a sour note!!!

That means we'll have to beat the Donkos on the 6th of October, too. :D

We'll finish the year 9-7 though, good enough for 2nd in the division, but not good enough for the playoffs. At worst, we'll be tied for second with the Faiders, but I'm picking them to fall to 8-8, back in limbo where they belong.

KCJohnny
06-03-2001, 08:46 PM
Kyle,
Congrats on your impending wedding. May the Lord bless you and the future Mrs. G. Please seek the Lord about being a husband. A marriage takes three: Man, woman and God.

No way we stomp the Skins in DC. Marty may lose, but he rarely loses by 17. Home team wins 17-13. Want a real tweak? Marty uses Donnell Bennett to pound the Chiefs and run out the clock in the 4th.

KCJ

Chiefs Pantalones
06-03-2001, 08:55 PM
"Want a real tweak? Marty uses Donnel Bennett to pound the Chiefs and run out the clock in the 4th."

I'll pray for you Johnny. You have crossed over.:(

:)

keg in kc
06-03-2001, 08:56 PM
No way Donnell Bennett even touches the ball unless Stephen Davis goes down with an injury. I know you're a Donnell fan, but you just don't sit one of the game's premier power running backs. That's just the way it is...

Marty may not lose by 17 at home often, but he will this time. The Chiefs can score against any team, no matter who the coach is, and the Redskins have no offense to speak of other than the aforementioned Stephen Davis. Jeff George is not a leader, there are no wide receivers other than Michael Westbrook, and their offensive line is only average on the interior. They won't be able to dominate the line of scrimmage and play action won't work because George will have no time to throw. Kansas City will completely shut down their offense, both running and passing.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the wedding.

I'm off to bed now. Long day tomorrow with much work to be done... ;)

California Injun
06-03-2001, 09:00 PM
As if there has been ZERO divorces from people attending church?

As if all people who do not involve God in their marriages are miserable?

It takes TWO committed individuals to make a marriage work. Throw is a ton of trust and respect and you have a solid foundation for success.

Wheter they choose to include God is a personal choice, not a requirement.

California Injun
06-03-2001, 09:02 PM
keg in kc,

I seem to remember a 31-3 thrashing the Steelers put on the Marty-led Chiefs at Arrowhead.

San Diego pummeled us 28-0 in the first half before they let us score two meaningless TDs to make it 28-14 at Arrowhead.

But these are just a few select "stats".....:p

Chiefs Pantalones
06-03-2001, 09:03 PM
If you are a dedicated Chiefs fan, why are you saying the RedSkins will beat the Chiefs? I thought you were a "blind deceived homer?"

CG

somethin fishy is goin on here:eek:

And I thought you said you would support them and root for them no matter what?! Thats double:eek: !

47mack
06-04-2001, 04:01 AM
They are moving in the right direction, but they aren't there yet.

Warrior5
06-04-2001, 05:16 AM
So you're <B>honestly predicting</B> (not hoping) the Chiefs will go 16-0?

oleman47
06-04-2001, 05:48 AM
Voted no. Defense is such a question mark and thin, that no season long evaluation is possible. Special teams will be somewhat better (couldn't have gotten worse) but failed to get a PK. Offense looks to be better in second half, barring injury to Green or TRich. Not sure about offensive line. Overall, I like what they did in off season but it created more depth than raising level of play.

Gaz
06-04-2001, 06:34 AM
The Super Bowl is too grand a goal for a 7-9 team installing a new coaching staff, new backfield and new philosophies on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. I would be surprised, though pleased, if we make the playoffs.

xoxo~
Gaz
Reluctantly putting aside the R&G glasses.

ck_IN
06-04-2001, 12:19 PM
I'm sticking to my 6-10 stand until the defense shows me something. As it currently stands, we have a swiss cheese defense that will force our O to continuely play catch-up. This will lead to lots o INT's and sacks of Green.

We also have a brutal schedule and are bringing in a new O and new coaches. A burn in time will occur and losses will result.

If we address our defense in next years draft we may make a run in 2003, but probably not any sooner.

Lightning Rod
06-04-2001, 12:41 PM
I can't decide between Maybe and undecided

Any thoughts?

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2001, 12:47 PM
6-10?! C`mon ck! We were 7-9 with the 3-stooges! You are aware of the fact that they are gone, right? That, in itself, is worth 2 wins.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2001, 12:49 PM
RCG- Thats funny! I didn`t notice that.

Lzen
06-04-2001, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by KCJohnny
They won't even win the AFC West (Donx).
The Chiefs will threaten to look amazing at times (against sub .500 teams) but look mortal against playoff teams.
Season defining moment: Green throws an INT while leading the Chiefs from behind in Washington killing the chances for an upset. Skins win 17-13.
KCJ

Yeah Johnny,
I'm sure you're hoping for this scenario. Are you gonna start buying Redskins apparel now?

ck_IN
06-04-2001, 02:29 PM
KcChief,

Yes I know the stooges are gone. My reaction is: So?

Gunther gone, Vermiel in Plus
Raye gone, Saunders in Big Plus
Kurt/Shaw gone, Robinson in Push?
Stock gone, Ganz jr in Push?

We have a much harder schedule than last year. We'll be implementing a brand new O with completely new coaches and our 30yr old QB with 19 career starts and a gimpy knee has yet to throw a football.

Last year our defense was a glaring weakness and we've done nothing to help it. In fact we've subtracted. Our ST's were also a major hole and we've signed a punter that can't kick off.

I expect the team to make some noise in 2002, but this will be a long year as teams march unhindered through our D and force our O to cool their heels on the sideline.

kcfanintitanhell
06-04-2001, 05:36 PM
I don't recall ever going into a season with so many question marks:
New QB
Can Priest Holmes do away with the time-honored RBBC?
Can the second-year guys in the DB step up contribute more due to them being thrown into the mix as rookies?
Same question as above for Morris.
And I am a firm believer in team chemistry being the major factor in a team's success-in most of the improbable stories of ascension to the top of the heap, there have been some key players, one, or most of the time, two, who have stepped up their game, coming out of relative obscurity. San Diego, Atlanta, and (grudgingly!!! ouch!!) St Louis are teams in recent memory that come to mind. For one reason or another, Gun's coaching method and philosophy, IMO, weren't conducive to that type of thing happening. I'm just not sure challenging a guy in the press to step it up was a good thing. I think Vermeil has the experience to let the chemistry happen on its own-and if he does-I have the feeling that a couple guys are going to come to the forefront and have monster years, leaving the media types saying things like, "2002 may very well be the year Kansas City's year!" Not 2001. Sorry.
But I think we may be pleasantly surprised this year.
Anybody contacted the Psychic Hotline?

Rausch
06-04-2001, 05:47 PM
No Hasty.
No Grunny.
No Szott.
NO Bennett.
No way their replacements, who aren't even clear yet, will be anywhere near as good other than Richardson a clear upgrade over Bennett...

The top three were as big a reason we were consistent winners for ten years as anyone. We did DOUBLE the talent of our depth at wide reciever. So? It was probably our greatest strength. Qb is still an unknown, optomism and potential aside. Holmes is another castoff back up, our secondary is easily weaker, our offense has to learn a new battle strategy, and our dominating 3 in the middle of the offensive line are now only the dominant one...

I keep hearing the same double talk out of different faces. The only gauranteed plus of the DV era is that there WON'T be idiot decisions made at clutch time by the head coach...

TEX
06-04-2001, 06:30 PM
IMHO, the Chiefs could easily finish dead last in the West. Every team in the division has improved more than the Chiefs have this offseason. Furthermore, the Chiefs have the most ??? going into the season. The Donx and Oakland are the division's best with Seattle closing very quickly. That leaves the Chiefs and Chargers and from where I'm sitting, it's a toss up here. The AFC is just too good from top to bottom for the Chiefs to qualify as a Wild Card. The Chiefs had a decade of winning football and now they are rebuilding. They are FINALLY on the right track, but I don't see them winning more than 6 games this year. But one never knows what could happen....That's why they play the games...:confused: