PDA

View Full Version : Give your money, your life, your car and your golf clubs...can't have the golf clubs.

58Forever
06-04-2001, 10:04 AM
I got robbed at gunpoint on Friday night. Actually the gun was on my mom and I wasn't about to be a hero and get her shot, so I willingly gave up my car keys when they asked for them...

The only thing I asked was for the ****ing criminals to let me get my golf clubs out of the car before they took it. I asked them real nice and I asked them three times. They wouldn't let me get the clubs. Damn and I had a tournament on Saturday.

Well, this happened in my own driveway so I ran in the house, grabed my gun and started chasing them down the street. Me on foot, them in my car. I never go close enough to shot at them, and I don't know if they saw me or not, but they stopped the car and bailed.

So, I got the car back and most importantly my golf cllubs...these guys probably thought I was crazy, I mean, getting robbed at gun point and I'm asking for my golf clubs. **** my life, my money or my car, just give me my golf clubs...is that too much to ask.

My only regret was that I didn't get close enough to get a couple shots off, there might be two less criminals on the street right now. The cops had the same regret. All the cops told me was they wished I had gotten close enough to waste them, would have done them a favor. Yeah right, let the crazy citizen with a gun shot the guys, less paper work for the cops.

Turns out that these guys had already "jacked" 3 other people before us. We were the lucky 4th victims...and I guess I was the only one brave or stupid enough to chase them...of course when you have a .40 Semi-Auto in your hand, fear isn't a factor.

Oh, well, alls well that ends well. They didn't hurt my mom or me, I got the car back and most importantly, I got my golf clubs back.

As a team we shot 10 under in the tournament and came in third. Everytime I hit the ball I pretended it was one of the scum that robbed me....bastards....

Cormac
06-04-2001, 10:11 AM
Damn joe. In your own driveway!?!? Congrats on getting everything back, you did a great job! Glad nobody (in your group) got hurt.

Lightning Rod
06-04-2001, 10:12 AM
Joe,
Glad to hear you and your Mom are safe. Any Rat-Bastage that will take a Man's Golf clubs should get the chair! Not normally for capital punishment but when ya f@$k with a Golf game you have gone too far.

Seriously I'm glad everyone is OK,

Rod- yet to hack this year.

HC_Chief
06-04-2001, 10:15 AM
In your own driveway? Damn, that is messed up!

It's both funny and scary you chased the pecker-heads down. :p

keg in kc
06-04-2001, 10:33 AM
Glad you're all right man.

Stuff is just that, stuff, but you and your mom are irreplaceable.

I don't like hearing stories like this in KC since, well, I live in KC.

No gun either (I'd never trust myself with a gun, I'm too friggin crazy).

seclark
06-04-2001, 10:38 AM
what'd they, joe...knock on your door, or where you already outside when they pulled the gun on you?
sec

58Forever
06-04-2001, 10:38 AM
Thanks, the fact that no one got hurt is the most important thing...funny thing is that I'm most afraid when I come home late at night because of the way my driveway is designed...I have to walk about 50 feet from the garage to my back door and there is another 50 feet or so from the door to the street which is dark and between two houses...I've been meaning to put light in the driveway but never got around to it...you can bet it got done over the weekend...

58Forever
06-04-2001, 10:42 AM
They came walking into my back yard. I had let my mom off at the back door and it's about another 50 feet to the garage...so I drove in and parked...I don't even think they knew I was there...they thought my mom was alone...then, when they saw me, I think it kind of rattled them, plus, having some crazy *** MF asking for his golf clubs...welll, let's just say that I don't think that's what they expected...

No, I'd never open my door to anyone...too bad I couldn't have gotten my gun before the got out of the driveway.

Phobia
06-04-2001, 10:50 AM
You were driving a Ford and when the 'jackers realized it, they bailed. Of this, I am nearly certain. :)

I'm glad everyone is alright and especially happy to hear you got your sticks back. Ping i3's, right?

Do NOT mess w/ a man's sticks. That's akin to touching a cowboy's hat - harassing a pimp's ho's - mussing Jimmy Johnson's hair - taking a check from Andre Rison - smoking a cigar from Clinton's humidor..... I could go on.

Bob Dole
06-04-2001, 11:21 AM
Good googly-moogly.

Glad you and your mother were unharmed.

You should have just popped off a round to send a message when they bailed. You wouldn't have hit them, but Bob Dole bets at least one of them would have needed a clean pair of shorts...

Skip Towne
06-04-2001, 11:25 AM
Hey 58, I'm glad everything worked out for you. I'm also glad you didn't shoot them. If you had, you would be down at the P.D. right now answering lots of questions. And their attorneys would be working on their lawsuit against you for violating their civil rights. Lots of fun ain't it?

Iowanian
06-04-2001, 11:38 AM
I'm glad your crew is alright.

I'd hate to think what i would do if someone pointed a gun at my mom...I'd probably be on top of a tower with an SKS waiting for someone matching the description. :mad:

Maybe you should invest in a .300 mag with a good night scope....if they get too far away, you can "reach out and touch someone"

My cousin was robbed at gunpoint at bannister mall....$4.17 shot at another guy who walked up on it at the time....He saw the guys 3 weeks later at a strip mall near the hypermart near 87th st....called the cops, they caught them, one had a gun at the time...juveniles....slapped on the wrist...

~time to start letting the good guys wear holsters too.

Mile High Mania
06-04-2001, 11:45 AM
Congrats, I guess... but, that is freaking nuts.
I can't say what I would have done in your shoes, but I wouldn't have said anything if my mother or anyone was there with me. You took a bad gamble with that request, but nobody was hurt.

Is your house well lighted at night? You should invest in some bright outdoor lighting, especially if you know you're getting home after dark.

You're lucky that you didn't confuse them so much with that request that they didn't shoot. What's done is done, but I would definitely be on the look out for a repeat offense. Criminals are stupid, so they may come back, esp if they think you're the reason they were busted.

gh4chiefs
06-04-2001, 11:49 AM
I'm glad everything worked out Joe. I understand your desire to "pop off a round" at them but I think Skip is right, you'd probably be in a lot of hot water now if you had. Not to mention that the bullet you would have fired could have hit someone else or someone else's property.

Mark M
06-04-2001, 11:50 AM
Glad to hear you and your mom are okay. And, while I do not own a gun myself, I wish you would've gotten a shot off. Like the Senaor posted, at least one of them would've freaked out.

Out of curiosity, where in KC do you live?

MM
~~Glad to see the clubs made it out unscathed as well.

Otter
06-04-2001, 11:51 AM
Glad you and yours is OK!

I with the cops on this one. Been nice if you would have sent them to the morgue.

Iowanian
06-04-2001, 11:53 AM
If someone has pointed a gun at your MOTHER there should be an automatic "get out of jail free card" and a friggin parade in your honor if you send the dirtbags to Hades.

I'd make some tickertape.

if they come back...blaze away my man.

Lzen
06-04-2001, 12:00 PM
You're friggin' nuts, man! If that situation ever happens to you again, pull your keys out and throw them as far as you can. Then, when the punks are looking for the keys, you and your mom can run away. Your story is kinda funny but, you're very lucky. Some criminals won't think twice about shooting you. :eek:

Rick Stephens
06-04-2001, 12:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience and I am glad that it worked out for you as well as it did. The main thing is you and your mother are ok.

The last time I was in Kansas City, I had a woman pull a gun on me and I was robbed of $150.00, so I know how it is to face this type of activity.

I think that it is time to pack some heat as I was jumped by two thugs at a Burger King about a mile from my house here in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon and had my wallet taken.

These two incidents did not happen in "bad" areas so you never know when and where it will happen to you. Be carefull because they may know your pattern of coming and going and my be watching you, to strike again.

ChiTown
06-04-2001, 01:23 PM
How about a purse???

My wife was waiting for a bus to go to work when we lived in Downtown Chicago. A Black woman approached my wife, asked her for the time of day, and subsequently begins to rip the purse from my wifes shouder. The strap broke from the purse and it knocked my wife to the ground. The black woman waves a gun at my wifes face and tells her to stay on the ground. My wife, shaken, confused and pissed, gets up off the ground and takes off for the criminal. Now, my wife is all of 5'3" and 105 lbs of azz kickin steel, chasing after a woman who is 5'9" +150lbs and gun totin'. She is running down Clark St. at 6:30am in her nice Ann Taylor suit yelling explitives and other unkind remarks that would normally be fighting words. She gets to within 10' of the women before a cab, who had witnessed the event, pulled up onto the sidewalk and boxed the woman in. My little Rambo of wife leaps on the woman, knocking her down and sits on her until a store owner and the cabbie help out.

I get to the police station and ask my wife what happens. She tells me the story, and I sat there with a dumb-founded look on my face. First, I couldn't believe she had a mean streak in her that would possess her to do what she did. 2nd, I couldn't believe how stupid she was to (unarmed) chase a woman with a gun. So, I had to ask, "What the hell were you thinking?" She said, very calmly I might add, "That was a Coach Purse and I just bought it 2 weekends ago. That b!tch was either going to pay me for the purse or give it back!"

I couldn't believe what I had heard, but I guess I would feel the same way about having my Sticks taken. Moral of the story - Beware of what possessions you covet from thy unsuspecting neighbor.

ChiTown
~rarely challeges his wife without wearing protective gear.

alanm
06-04-2001, 01:31 PM
Hey Izen, Did you ever consider that they just might bust a cap at you for throwing the keys and pissing them off? As a member of Law Enforcement handing the keys over is the best thing you can do. However running after them was probably not. But then anger and adrenaline do funny things to a person.

keg in kc
06-04-2001, 01:31 PM
Yeah, stuff like this can really happen anywhere anytime, and being as paranoid as I am, I'm always watching everyone...

The last time I dealt with any violence/assault stuff was about 9 years ago. Shortly before I was going to leave for college a friend and myself went to a movie (theater is a 25 minute drive from my home town, in middle of nowhere West Virginia). At the theater before the movie (I don't even remember what film it was), a guy starts harassing me about screwing his girlfriend, who I did know, but never did anything with nor even tried. As it turns out, he was part of a half-redneck/half-skinhead gang (everyone where I live is white, so race wasn't a part of this, but the gang was into neo-nazi crap), and he'd brought 8 friends along that night, and just happened to see me there. My friend and myself were alone, but I saw a couple of folks I knew (one about 6'4 maybe 300 pounds, the other 6'2 and a third degree black belt in karate), and we proceeded to join them and watch the movie, but a little nervous because of the impending tussle...

So, we leave and...nothing. They're not anywhere in sight. So we start to walk to our cars. Well, they were hiding around the side of the building, came up behind us and attacked my friend, knocking him down and kicking him repeatedly. He ended up with a concussion and I had the joyous priviledge of driving him to the ER and calling his family. The arse-holes didn't lay a hand on me, didn't even get close, and being a Friday night there was security everywhere as well as a sheriff deputy.

My other two acquaintances literally had to hold me back, at the police car, to keep me from running off and attacking the other 9 guys. Which is, coincidentally, why I don't have a gun, because I have an insane temper and I know all too well that I'd probably end up shooting somebody, and I don't want to have to deal with those consequences. Heck, if what happened to Joe happened to me, I'd probably have emptied the whole magazine at the back of the car, and the only way I can responsibly keep that sort of thing from happening is to keep myself away from weapons...

So, the moral of the story is, you really have to be on the lookout for "bad people" no matter where you are, whether in Kansas City, or podunk, West Virginia. It's a real shame. :(

Herzig
06-04-2001, 01:37 PM
Im glad you and your family are okay. I wouldnt piss on those guys if they were on fire. What a bunch of friggin losers!! Man, you really must have some large testicles to do what you did. Im not sure what I would of done, but taking another man's golf clubs is just wrong...

What kind of sticks were they to inspire such loyalty??? Maybe I need to get rid of my Ping I/3 O-size Black dots...

58Forever
06-04-2001, 01:56 PM
Mark, I live in the Midtown area, just a little north east of Westport....it's not really a bad area, a mix of all types, black, white, hispanic...mostly families, professional and otherwise, it's considered North Hyde Park and anyone who knows Hyde Park knows it's considered a good neighborhood, at least as far as property values go...anyway, It's my family home which I just bought from my Mom and Aunt about 5 years ago, but it's where I was raised. And in the 30 some odd years I've lived there, we've never even had anyone attempt to break in while we were gone let alone rob us.

And, yes, I'm going to light up that driveway like Arrowhead on Monday Night Football...

They won't chase me out of my home...fact is, this kind of thing happens no matter where you go...so unless I can win the lottery and move to an island, I'm staying where I am...**** 'em...

Greg, I have Armour 845s, and Orlimar woods, and a ping putter that I've had for 15 years...it's not that the clubs are worth my life or couldn't be replaced, and when I started asking them if I could have them, they had moved away from my Mom so I think she was safe..then all I could think of was my golf clubs and that I had to play in a tournament the next day...and I'd be damned if some young punk trash was going to get my car and my golf clubs...

ROYC75
06-04-2001, 02:21 PM
Joe...Glad to hear that all is well,that had to be a scary moment !

The fact that your clubs came up 1st before anything else shows your passion for the game !

Buy a driveway light....PLEASE !

BTW....you can thank the man upstairs for that one!

Mark M
06-04-2001, 02:38 PM
58--
I know the Hyde Park area. You're right, it's a big mix of folks and usually pretty safe. But then again, nowhere is safe anymore.

On the opposite end of the spectrum: The Mrs. and I live in east Independence. While it's not a terrible neighborhood by any means (it's actually a nice working-class area) there are some "questionable" nieghbors two houses over—the cops come by their place at least once a month, they are suspected meth dealers and their son is in prison for dealing.

Well, Saturday we were working in the yard and had the garage door open. Before we went to bed we checked the front and back doors, but forgot to check the garage door. Woke at 10am on Sunday, got ready to leave for the store about noon, and, when we went to the garage, we saw that the door was still open ... had been all night. My truck was on the open side with the keys in it, my wifes car on the other side with keys AND purse in it, the lawn mower was sitting right there and the door between the garage and the house does not lock. Fortunately, not a single thing was missing.

So, in a supposed "questionable" area, in a "questionable" city, we left our a$$ hanging out and no one came and kicked it. I don't plan on making it a habit or anything, but it does go to show that it just depends on luck, timing and fate when these things happen. We could be just as easily be sitting here morning Joe's death by gunshot ... instead we are praising his ability to get out of the situation unscathed.

MM
~~Glad the fates were with Joe and his mother.

58Forever
06-04-2001, 03:19 PM
Mark, you are lucky you didn't wake up to an empty garage. In the so called "safest" neighborhoods, south KC, Johnson County, that is one of the biggest crime areas. People leaving there garage doors open. I've read and heard stories about thiefs helping themselves to the contents of an open garage in broad daylight...no where is safe, just hope it never happens to you and if it does that no one is hurt...I consider myself very lucky but I'm still mad as hell and If I was ever to see these guys again, I might have to hurt them...

keg in kc
06-04-2001, 04:14 PM
The first week we moved into my new home, on lovely Bannister Road remember, we each left one of our garage doors open, me overnight while I was working in the old house, and Tracy a day later while I was asleep during the day.

Nothing happened, thankfully...

We seem to be in a decent neighborhood though, considering how close we are (about a mile) to Bannister Mall and their well-publicized trevails. Of course, they're also making an effort to clean up that area, but I'm not sure just how successful it is yet, although they've recently begun advertising the mall on the radio again.

The only problems we've had so far is having to pick up trash in the yard every week or so when we mow, but that's not even that bad.

Hard to believe the world's come so far though, I still have friends at home in West Virginia who don't lock their doors at night (of course they wonder why they get robbed, but I didn't say they were "smart" friends ;))

HC_Chief
06-04-2001, 04:18 PM
Best home protection: a loud dog.

Would-be burglers want to nab loot and get out w/o making a sound. Dogs screw those plans <i>all</i> up! ;)

keg in kc
06-04-2001, 04:20 PM
Hahah, HC.

Probably good that I have a lab and a mouthy German Shepherd then. ;)

Iowanian
06-04-2001, 04:22 PM
I think it might be fun to PURPOSELY leave the garage doors open with lots of good stuff showing...the catch...I'm hiding in a refrigerator box behind the stereo equip i've laid out special....with a 12ga with turkey loads...

I have a sign(actually a target) in the window that says "Buckingham home security system activated"
with the center shot completely out..... ;)

HC_Chief
06-04-2001, 04:22 PM
that'll do it! Both are good size dogs - both tend to make 'big dog' noise. German Shepards tend to scare the hell out of people - even when they're friendly: big, smart dog typically employed by police and military.

ChiTown
06-04-2001, 05:09 PM
I live 6/10th's of a mile from the quadruple homicide that took place in Wichita last winter. That event has effected my life in a way that I didn't think possible.

I will never again think that because I live in white and uptight suburbia that "it can't happen to me." Things you can do to protect yourself are:
1. Be smart and be aware
2. Install a home alarm system or something comprable
3. Keep a weapon in the home for protection
4. Keep your house well lit
5. Don't be obvious about when you are home and when your not
6. Don't use ATM's at night
7. Don't travel alone at night, unless necessary
8. Park in well lit areas
9. Be careful to whom you talk to
10. Keep a cell phone on your person
11. Keep a dog in the house at night and when you are gone

Sounds like overkill, but I won't flip my hair in the face of the criminal mind again. After finding out what these hoods did to 5 young, innocent and unsuspecting people here in Wichita, I can never prepare and keep my family safe enough.

ChiTown
~disgusted with crime in our country

keg in kc
06-04-2001, 05:17 PM
You've got to be careful with alarm systems, from what I understand. They have a tendency to have false alarms (something like 95% of calls police get are false), and I've been told (by a police officer in the KC area) that the police can't and don't take the same steps on an alarm call that they can on a 911 call. Further compounding the problem, apparently, is the fact that the alarm system locks up your phone system for 15 or 30 minutes, in which case you can't call 911 to expedite the police.

From what I was told, alarms are great for if you're not there, but because of the above reasons they can be more of a hinderance than help. The officer did say that having alarm signs does, apparently, make some thieves think twice, but that the best thing you can do is to make your house as difficult to break in as possible, with good windows, solid doors, etc, because most burglers want the quick in/out and will be frustrated when slowed down.

If I hadn't talked to him, by the way, I wouldn't now have a double barrel lock on my back door (it has glass planes, but the door can't be unlocked by simply breaking and reaching through the glass because it needs a key on both sides...). Basically it was all common sense stuff that I never would have thought of on my own...

I think there's a law enforcement guy or two on the board, maybe they could give some advice (whether it agrees with what I just said or not...).

Rick Stephens
06-04-2001, 05:18 PM
A large dog is not always the answer. My house was broken into and I had a large dog who would bite strangers. They beat the dog in the head and body until he was barely alive. This dog was a big barker and made lots of noise.

After that he would go right through the screen door to bite strangers. My son opened the door to a door to door salesman and the dog went through the screen and bit him. The next morning I had a visit from animal control and the police.

Rick Stephens
06-04-2001, 05:44 PM
Having been a crime victim of both having my house broken into and being held up at gun point I have made my house more difficult to break into. The police recommended that I get a home alarm system as I live alone with my dog. I have an alarm system in my house and what one needs to remember about them there are battery and hardwire systems. A hardwire system will not give you a false alarm like a battery operated system. My system has withstood a couple of pretty big earthquakes and I will not go off. Here in Garden Grove you are allowed up to three false alarms in a 12 month period and after that you are charged $250.00 for each false alarm. The police here treat a home alarm call as a top priority call as they like to catch the criminals in the act.

morphius
06-04-2001, 05:45 PM
Joe - I just caught this thread, don't know how I missed it. Man, I'm glad your okay, of course I'm forever from this day going to think that you just might be a complete nut case (which is somehow not always a bad thing). Now for the golf clubs, there is no way I would have risked my life for my bowling balls, of course I do want to upgrade my strike ball anyway.

Some really interesting posts on this thread, as for myself I have never had anything happen to me (of course that could have something to do with my lack of a social life).

58Forever
06-05-2001, 09:14 AM
Jeff, makes you think twice about sending any more smack my way huh?....;)

Fact of the matter is that while I wanted the golf clubs and the car back, I was just angry that these MFs put a gun in my Mom's face...The Sicilian blood came out and I just wanted revenge...they ****ed with my family and that's where logic and safety stop and revenge takes over...if they'd have touched her or me...I'd still be out hunting them down...