PDA

View Full Version : KC Golfers

Lightning Rod
06-04-2001, 01:50 PM
Inspired by 58Forever's heroic defense of his clubs,,,, any other local hackers out there?
How good are ya?
I'll shoot anywhere from 80-100 on any given day.
Any interest in a BB golf game sometime this summer?

58Forever
06-04-2001, 02:06 PM
With my clubs now safely in hand, I usually shoot in the 80s...I'd be interested in a BB round, but beware, if you even look at my clubs I might have to shoot...:D

ROYC75
06-04-2001, 02:08 PM
Crap....I'm game ! When I come up in Sept.....we can have our own little Tourney !

That's something to keep in mind.

I'll be in this weekend from Ky for a family reunion...play'n with the family or I would this time.

Anybody else interested in a early tee time on the 8th of September !

Lightning Rod
06-04-2001, 02:29 PM
When I was playing a lot I usually shot in the 80's but I played all of 3 times last year and none this. It could be ugly.

Dartgod- where are you, aren't you a local hacker too?

Lightning Rod
06-04-2001, 02:31 PM
Might have to wear my kevlar nickers :)

ExtremeChief
06-04-2001, 03:07 PM
I'd be interested in playing the 8th before the meeting...

I used to live in KC, I usually played at Claycrest in Liberty, but I've played OP, Olathe, Minor Park, St. Andrews (is that right?), and one in Independence.

Our big 3man tournament that has a calcutta is next weekend, so I'm trying to get ready for that. Pretty good cash if you can place in the top 3 in your flight. 1st place in A flight last year paid 1600 plus the calcutta went up to about 1200...not bad for 2 days work.

hacker extroidinaire...

ROYC75
06-04-2001, 03:07 PM
Any planet members want to get together on Sept.8th or 9th ?

We can plan a CHIEFSPLANET Tourney. Alot of out of towners ,like myself will be in for the 37 Forever Foundation and we can all get together for outing !

Speak up and let it be known whether we can make it happen !

58Forever
06-04-2001, 03:23 PM
The 8th wouldn't be a problem, the 9th might be...don't know if I can play golf before a game, especially the season opener...but if it can happen on the 8th I'm game...

Herzig
06-04-2001, 03:27 PM
I try to play as much as possible...I played this weekend in Cassville, MO at the Cassville golf club...I was pleasantly surprised. I hacked it up though..I shot a 94 from the Blues. I consistently shoot low-mid 80's usually. My excuse for the day was that I hadnt swung a club in three weeks due to the fact that I have been extremely busy with closing on my first house.

Extreme...I have played claycrest a few times myself...I also played at Falcon Ridge in Olathe last summer..

We ought to have a 37 Forever Foundation Golf Tournament to raise money for the cause and to get some much needed exposure/new members...Just an idea...

ROYC75
06-04-2001, 04:03 PM
Greg.....
That's what I was thinking.....a 37 Tourney....everybody needs to commit and we can plan on it.

BTW....I goofed on the 9th....forgot it was opening day....I need Tickets....for 2 ....ANYBODY help here ?

Would like to take my son to the game....never has been to one yet. Living here in KY doesn't give us to many chances to go.

Herzig
06-04-2001, 04:12 PM
Roy..

We could organize a charity golf tournament at one of the local KC courses...It might even get local media coverage if it were to be done right. I know the local tournaments here in Arkansas are covered in the newspapers and on some of the news stations.

We need to see what Adam thinks..:)

keg in kc
06-04-2001, 04:19 PM
I haven't played golf in about 7 years.

I think I'll pass, just to save everyone else from danger. ;)

AJKCFAN
06-04-2001, 04:27 PM
Foundation Members:

It's a great idea! Truthfully, it has been something that's been bandied about in private messages and we thought it was a year away from occurring. However, if you wish to organize it, let's do it!!

This is not set in stone, but right now the time for the meeting at Adam's Mark is from 11-1. The good news is it can be adjusted, in case you wish to shoot for an earlier tee. Alan Clubine is handling this aspect (Adam's Mark) and actually was the one from KC I was speaking to concerning this, so he might want to get his hand into this jar too. He's been very reliable through all of this.

You have my endorsement... provided it doesn't coflict with the Meeting.

JimNasium
06-04-2001, 06:10 PM
If you like golf there is a great golf forum that I participate in at http://www.hamegg.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=3&5627

It reminds me quite a bit of this community and is a nice distraction in the off-season.

Skip Towne
06-04-2001, 06:10 PM
I'm a former High School state champion(Many moons ago). I played with Grier Jones a couple of times. (You young guys have probably never heard of him) I can still hit it as far as ever thanks to my Big Bertha with the graphite shaft. Modern technology taking care of the aged!!

Herzig
06-04-2001, 06:16 PM
Talked to you recently over on Ham & Egg...I was ChiefHack...but now I go by Divot Tool(forgot my password)...I thought about contacting you to play this weekend in Cassville...#18 teebox was trouble for me..ended up with a snowman..

We need to play sometime!!!

JimNasium
06-04-2001, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Greg Herzig

We need to play sometime!!! [/B]

Yeah, it would be great to develop a Missouri/Arkansas Ham and Egg contingent with a KC Chiefs flavor to it. We'll work out something this summer even though I have been somewhat of a hack as of late!

Herzig
06-04-2001, 06:21 PM
Adam..

Sounds good..but we would need someone in the KC area to call golf courses to see if we could set it up. We dont want a crappy course!!! Well, we may want to wait a year and set it up next year during the pre-season or something. We need to make sure it is done right!! I wish I lived up there. I dont want to make excuses, but I am in the process of buying my first home, and since Im not married yet, Im doing all of the work myself. I should close in 2 weeks & then I get to move(joy). Anyway, I just wanted to see what you thought. Talk to you later,

Greg

Herzig
06-04-2001, 06:25 PM
Im a hack too...I forgot to tell you Jim...I have tickets to the 2001 US Open in Tulsa!! I can hardly wait!! Im going to the Wed(practice rnd) and Friday. I'll be sure to take a few digital pictures and share them with the "Party of Fore"!!

AJKCFAN
06-04-2001, 06:30 PM
Greg:

I've been trying to reach you, via e-mail and Smoke Signal.

Are you there? Over?

AJKCFAN
06-04-2001, 11:10 PM
BTW, I've taken your idea and placed it in the 37 Forever Foundation section of Chiefs Planet, which can be placed here.

Having spoken to Roy Caswell tonight, I'm positive this can be done.

There, anyone in for the Golf Tournament can start to arrange this. We have 95 days after all to get this going...

Adam

"37 Forever"

AJKCFAN
06-04-2001, 11:10 PM
And that link is....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

Otter
06-04-2001, 11:46 PM
If I can make it to KC - count me in!

otter
~tenative

Herzig
06-04-2001, 11:56 PM
Adam,
Did you get my smoke signal eariler?

The main thing I worry about with the golf tournament is that it is Labor Day weekend. There are usually a lot of yearly scrambles and tournaments at local golf clubs this weekend. It would be cool to get an annual tournament started in KC every opening day weekend though. This could bring publicity to the cause...not to mention $$$$$. Charity golf tournaments do pretty well actually. In some ways, I would think that some courses might even want to sponsor this event just for the publicity THEY might get. It needs to be held on nice course though...Ive only played 2 or 3 in KC...so anyone that has played any nice ones...let me know and I will call to try and get the ball rolling...It would be really cool if we could get some CHIEFS players to play in something like this(probably would have to happen in the offseason)..

Any suggestions???:confused:

AJKCFAN
06-05-2001, 12:17 AM
Greg:

Yes, I got the message. Thanks for responding.

Well, let's hold off just for a tiny bit on the Golf Tournament as per Saturday Morning. Alan Clubine is going to Adam's Mark tomorrow (Tuesday June 5) and is cementing the deal for the rooms and the time of the meeting. Adam's Mark has been extremely flexible to him and he hopes to change the time of the availability of the meeting room from where it is right now, which is from 11 AM - 1 PM. BTW, Alan strongly supports this idea and might be able to help in this department as well, but he really needs other KC Foundation Members to join him in setting this up. Lord knows all the things Alan has been up to lately (Adam's Mark, P.O. Box. Non-Profit, Tax Issues, Reebok among others).

So please give Alan the courtesy of getting through tomorrow's meeting before we go crazy over this, which we will do. But let's first arrange this around the Meeting time and that we will know after Alan's crucial meeting tomorrow.

Adam

"37 Forever"

philfree
06-05-2001, 12:27 AM
I'd be interested in playing. I'm not very good but I can keep the beer from getting warm! One thing I do know about golf tournaments is that repeated success is directly releated to the babes who work the goodie cart. Hey(light bulb) how bout getting a few Chiefs Cheerleaders to attend. They could sale muligans or chances in the hole in one/closest to the pin contest. Or something. Anne from Odessa could be my caddie! Whoops! Now I'm getting carried away. Yea, I'd be interested.

PhilFree :cool:

Herzig
06-05-2001, 12:30 AM
Adam,

I would be happy to help, but I don't really know the KC courses all that well. I was also worried that this may be too soon of an event for the Foundation. Also, it shouldnt take anything away from the meeting at the Adam's Mark. Please let Alan know that I appreciate all of his and your hardwork. Thanks...

AJKCFAN
06-05-2001, 12:51 AM
Greg:

You ain't kidding. So much effort has been devoted by so many members, but what Alan is juggling right now with the Foundation (hotels, tax, non-profit, Reebok, and P.O. Box and now possibly golf tournament too) is simply incredible and has to be praised.

It's apparent that he could use a helping hand or two or three; especially in the tax and non-profit departments, so hopefully he won't be as burdened as much...

Thanks again Alan! :) :) :)

Idahojim
06-05-2001, 08:44 AM
The timing of this post seems almost too perfect. I'm a 15 handicapper who has been playing for 10 years. This past weekend for the first time in my short golfing career I developed a case of the dreaded sh*nks (I now know why it is forbidden to speak the word). Anyone out there have advice on how to make them go away? Someone throw me a lifeline. Please.

redhed
06-05-2001, 01:22 PM
with the occasional foray into the high 80s. Also have been known to go fer 120. *sigh* I'm kinda streaky.

Count me in, and I'll be at the meeting too. Any day except opening day is fine.

Slowly killing all snowmen in my game,

Cormac
06-05-2001, 01:43 PM
IdahoJim,

Beware of getting "ahead" of the ball on the downswing. Your head shouldn't move laterally during your swing at all (within reason). But, assuming you play right handed, if your head and shoulders are moving towards the pin on the downswing (getting ahead of the ball) that is likely the reason for the sh**ks. Practice by swinging in front of a mirror, and see if you're swinging through the plane of your left side. Basically, transfer your weight to your left side on the downswing, but don't sway. Your head should be in the same place when you finish your swing as it was at address (as close as possible). If that happens, it's pretty hard to sh**nk.

Hope this helps.

If you're not making this particular mistake, I'm outta suggestions :D

Good luck :).

ROYC75
06-05-2001, 02:45 PM
Cormac...what about if he is lefthanded ? Same thing,just switch a few words around !

As for myself....I'll shoot anywhere from an 80 to low 90,depending on the conditiuons. Just started play'n again last year...took a 10 year layoff and it has killed my score. I use to shoot 75-80,sometimes low 80. Old age has helped my score rise too!

Hope we can gt something going for the 37 Meeting inline of a Tourney or a scramble. Even if it is just us members,that's fine with me !

Cormac
06-05-2001, 03:38 PM
Yup :)

AJKCFAN
06-06-2001, 12:08 AM
Foundation Members:

Please check your e-mails about Alan's views on the Golf Tournament, after speaking with Adam's Mark.

There were two of them... and very pertinent to this, Meeting info, and other important thoughts.

Thanks

Adam