PDA

View Full Version : Is Bush abusing his position as President?

jAZ
06-04-2001, 06:13 PM
Has anyone else noticed Bush's very apparent attempts to push baseball to the fore front of the American sports scene?

I am not going go make any outrageous claims of payoffs, but it does make me wonder. Bush owned the Texas Rangers. MLB has quite a bit to gain from GW's very noticible publicity campaign.

From Whitehouse.gov (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/04/text/20010425-2.html)
Beginning this year, the President and First Lady will host a series of Tee ball games for children on the South Lawn. The President hopes that this initiative spurs interest in baseball and will help promote America's national pastime to people of all ages.

From NBC in Omaha (http://www.discoveromaha.com/partners/wowt/news/2001/05/bush_01.html)
A lifelong fan of the game, Bush once owned a part of the Rangers and as president has vowed to revitalize interest in America's pastime.

"I think he would find it very enjoyable and it's consistent with his desire to promote baseball in America," Nelson said.

Bush threw the ceremonial first pitch last month for the Milwaukee Brewers' home opener. He plans to hold the first White House South Lawn T-ball game on Sunday, featuring two Little League teams from the Washington area.

Am I out of line in thinking that it isn't the President's job to use taxpayer dollers to promote his favorite past time. Being an avid fan is one thing, but taking advantage of his position is another.

jAZ
06-04-2001, 06:14 PM
Btw, I believe I would be just as pissed if this were Bob Dole and he were promoting the NFL.

Be a fan, not a lobbist.

jAZ
06-04-2001, 06:18 PM
Would it be appropriate for Bush to host oil drilling races on the South lawn of the white house, with the hope that it "spurs interest in (oil) and will help promote America's national (energy source) to people of all ages.

Baseball is an industry just like oil.

BIG_DADDY
06-04-2001, 06:32 PM
In a country inundated with corruption, loss of freedoms, and taxation boardering on criminal I certainly hope you can come up with something better than that. If you want to see an abuse of power you need look no further than our last administration. Don't get me wrong I am far from being in Bushes camp but come on. How about some real attrocities like the the anti-terrorist bill, gun rights, the growing power of the United Nations. How about Carnivore or excessive legislation that has taken us from a country that had 200k inmates in 79' to well over 2 million now. How about having to watch cover up after cover up over the last 8 years. I could go on and on but needless to say I have no concerns that he would like to support baseball.

BIG DADDY

Not trying to be harsh, just real.

Brock
06-04-2001, 06:34 PM
Baseball is dead with or without Bush.

Baby Lee
06-04-2001, 06:41 PM
WTF??? - A guy who loves baseball hosting kids playing T-ball on the South Lawn, and we're supposed to be outraged?

[sarcasm on] Why this almost mirrors the outrage at the way Jackie O was so clearly in the pocket of the 'Coco Chanel' lobby.

And it seems to me that every pesident was in the pocket of that dastardly 'golf' lobby.

And don't even get me started on Reagan and his sordid 'tacky western wear' connections, and the horseback rider's cabal. [sarcasm off]

Joe Seahawk
06-04-2001, 06:51 PM
Speaking of the Rangers...I'm on my way to Safeco right now to watch the Mariners open up a can a whoop *** on A-Rods overpaid arse!

Pappa, do you think there is a slight possibility you are over reacting to this?....Joe

JOhn
06-04-2001, 06:55 PM
Actually this is/was a long standing tradition. Not sure who killed it, but I do know that the president has always "encouraged" activities that they liked. Baseball just happens to be GW pastime.

Bob Dole
06-04-2001, 07:20 PM
What taxpayer money is he spending with either of those activities?

Bob Dole has no problem with <i>any</i> President hosting any sort of youth activity on the White House lawn. If nothing else, it will give some young people a chance to do something most (if not all) of us never got to do.

(This ignores Bob Dole's adamant opposition to t-ball itself...)

As for the ceremonial first pitch:

Bill Clinton 4/4/94 in Cleveland
Bill Clinton 4/2/96 in Baltimore
Madeleine Albright 4/2/97 in Baltimore (Clinton was injured)

From Johnny Bench's <u>The Complete Idiot's Guide to Baseball</u>.

<i>"U.S. presidents have been associated with this honor since April 14, 1910, when, before the Washington Senators' home opener, William H. Taft became the first president to throw out the first ball. Since then more than 40 games have begun with a ceremonial first pitch by a president, including Woodrow Wilson, Warren Harding, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton. "</i>

DanT
06-04-2001, 08:34 PM
I think it's a great idea to host T-Ball games on the White House lawn. I'd be even happier if the White House can put it's efforts behind developing a foolproof way to teach the little darlings how "to hit 'em where they ain't," a notion that's unforgivably absent from too many of our nation's youngest batsmen. Some perverse kind of sportsmenship causes far too many groundballs straight at T-Ball infielders. It's positively un-American and a serious threat to our vitality.

Marty McDonald
06-04-2001, 09:03 PM
Come on Wilbur!

Only a narrow minded, pseudo liberal thinking democrat from the University of Nogales would think that. Come on pappa...don't get too caught up on Bush and Baseball. After all, Clinton spent 8 years preaching that oral sex isn't sex after all. Let Bush root for baseball and let him host games for the little ones on the front lawn. Those kids will remember playing at the White House for the rest of their lives and at the end of the day, that is all that matters.

http://www.asu.edu/images/asulogo.gif

Just doing my part to keep the border war going. If you get ticked off, then I did my job! =)

jAZ
06-04-2001, 09:27 PM
My objection isn't his actions, it's his stated goals... I think Tee ball on the whitehouse lawn would be cool. Both as a future parent and a former child. I would love to be a kid involved with that.

It does seem relatively trivial and to be honest, while I do believe that Bush has made a mistake with this, he wouldn't have had to change much to keep me from having any objections.

What I object to is his stated goal of helping to "promote America's national pastime". If he were to approach this with the stated goal of promoting youth activity, teamwork, healthy competition, etc. and it just happened to be that he loved baseball, I would see no difference between this and other past presidential activities (throwing out the pitch, etc.).

But to make a point to declare that his primiary goal is to promote Baseball seems to be out of line. Definately less out of line than extramarirital affairs in the oval office, but still out of line. If he hadn't been an owner of a MLB team, I probably woudln't have even noticed.

Some replies to specific questions/points...
* BobDole, Everything that the President does is at the expense of taxpayers from his salary, to the cost of equipment, landscaping, travel, securty.
* Joe, I don't think I am over reacting. My attempt at humor appears to have over-dramatized my point, but generally, I think my reactions have been honest and reasoned, not over the top.
* BigDaddy, while your point is well taken and thanks for not being harsh, but I disagree with too many of your examples to get into specifics.
* Marty, when you guys find a basketball team, feel free to join the Pac10. ;^)

Phobia
06-04-2001, 09:37 PM
I believe this is a bit over the top. Clearly Clinton had a passion for golf and possibly even pimped the PGA due to his affiliation with multiple players to include the Shark and Tiger. I hated Clownton but I never questioned that.

Bush has stated he wants to promote America's past-time, not MLB. Gosh, what is next, hosting the winner of the World Series for an event at the WhiteHouse?

Marty McDonald
06-04-2001, 09:45 PM
Pappa=

I couldn't agree with you anymore on the B-Ball issue. My college hoops "love jones" goes to the Jayhawks because of Danny Manning, et al during the 80's.

BUT---it is nice to go to a campus that isn't located in the ghetto (sorry to the USC alum and fans on that one) nor one that is littered with homeless bums.

It was great. I had some friends down there when the Super Bowl came to Phoenix and the residents of Tucson were convinced that the increase in vagrants and other bums was because the City of Phoenix bussed them down to Tucson.

BTW, did you take RIOT 101: The Art of Celebrating A Tournament Defeat?

philfree
06-04-2001, 09:54 PM
Beats the hell out of one of those million dollar cocktail parties. I see nothing wrong with this. Maybe the game is on his day off.

PhilFree

Bob Dole
06-04-2001, 10:01 PM
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, pappa. :D

Bob Dole's point was that Bush travelling to Milwaukee to throw out the ceremonial first pitch to open the MLB season does not represent a statistically significant expenditure over any other normal day-to-day activity in which he might engage.

Does it really accomplish anything for the President to fly to Missouri to view first-hand the destruction resulting from a flood? Or is it just the President showing his "humanity" and his "caring" and glad-handing the public and producing sound-bites for the 6 o'clock news?

If he spent his days sitting around the office perusing bulletin boards, he'd save some travel dollars...but within 6 months someone would be complaining that the President was too aloof, not visible, and out of touch with the average American. Damned if he do, damned if he don't.

How about that televised long distance phone call the Prez makes every year to the Super Bowl victor's locker room? Now <b>that</b> really whizzes off Bob Dole...

aturnis
06-04-2001, 10:07 PM
I HATE baseball, its sooooooooooo boring, takes the pitcher 5 minutes just to throw one pitch...what is going on in the pitchers mind when he is standing there not throwing the ball?
My theory...
"Well...lets see here, hmmmm, this guy on first has a nice a$$, oops, better look at the batter again people might think I'm gay starring at him.......well, i'm getting bored again, hey i know, i'll look at the runner on firsts a$$ again!!! O crap, the fans are gonna get ideas that i'm gay, better look at the batter again, o, i should pry throw the ball, everyone will get pissed! ::ball thrown:: (FINALLY)

I hate it, but I still watch it if one of my teams is playing and no hockey or soccer games are on.

aturnis
06-04-2001, 10:12 PM
Dammit Bush!

If John Proctor were here, yanno what he'd say?
"Damn you Bush, your raising up a bore!" (a little pun here)

Damn you Bush, baseball is no good!

Joe Seahawk
06-05-2001, 01:37 AM
Kicked their arse!!..

44-12....It just keeps getting better and better....Joe
enjoying the ride

Lzen
06-05-2001, 03:24 PM
Is this thread about the biggest waste of space or what?
Find something substantial to ***** and moan about.

Raiderhader
06-05-2001, 05:41 PM
Oh I love it! The dems gave us a prez that we could really go after. Now the Rpubs have given the dems a prez that they have to search, and search, and search to find some thing. And when they finally do find some thing, it is this pi$$-ant conspiracy stuff. Did I mention that I love it?:D