PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Rock Radio Stations In KC Suck??

petegz28
10-02-2007, 08:44 AM
I swear between 98.9, 99.7 and 101.01 they might as well be 1 radio station.

At any given moment on 1 of the 3 you will hear:

AC\DC, Metallica, Skynard, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd or Godsmack with the occasional Ozzy.

And what is sad is it is usually the same songs too. I swear this town sucks for radio. I don't listen much but it's a game my wife and I play when in the car, see how many of them are playing 1 of the above mentioned.

I am old enough to remember 106.5 KCI and I still say that was the best radio staion in KC. KY-102 used to be.

Johnny Dare's Spiccoli\Brett Michaels-Biker act I never cared for.

I just wonder if these guys do know there are other bands out there besides AC\DC?

And I wonder what makes these radio stations think everyone loves AC\DC that much?

Demonpenz
10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
The kansas city blues show on 101.1 on sundays is the only change of pace but yes they mine as well be one station.

Deberg_1990
10-02-2007, 08:47 AM
People still listen to traditional radio??

This is why satellite radio and burning your own MP3's have become so popular.

In fact, alot of these new format radio stations popping up (the ones that play a mixture of everything) are a direct result of MP3's becoming so popular.

petegz28
10-02-2007, 08:48 AM

In fact, alot of these new format radio stations popping up (the ones that play a mixture of everything) are a direct result of MP3's becoming so popular.

If I am in the car for any length of time it is usually AM radio or CD's anymore.

Deberg_1990
10-02-2007, 08:51 AM
If I am in the car for any length of time it is usually AM radio or CD's anymore.

Same here. Either talk radio or my own music.

gblowfish
Because they don't play Madonna and Chic, both R&R hall of fame acts.

morphius
Hell, before 98.9 came along it was even worse.

petegz28
10-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Hell, before 98.9 came along it was even worse.

Dude 98.9 SUCKS! I mean major. The rock station we had on AM for a while was better than them

106.5 KCI was 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than 98.9

Braincase
10-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Where's the Eurometal?

Answer - my Zune. Commercial free.

Deberg_1990
10-02-2007, 09:00 AM

Exactly!

Planetman
10-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Dude 98.9 SUCKS! I mean major. The rock station we had on AM for a while was better than them

Settle down, Alice. Just because your taste in music is not the same as what a particular station plays, does not mean that they suck. Please remove your panties from your butt crack and calm down.

DMAC
10-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Radio sucks. Find your own music. It's out there, you just haven't heard it yet.

siberian khatru
10-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Bingo.

petegz28
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Settle down, Alice. Just because your taste in music is not the same as what a particular station plays, does not mean that they suck. Please remove your panties from your butt crack and calm down.

That station would be KY 98.9 The Fox right?

beach tribe
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Dude, trust me. They suck EVERYWHERE.

They are mostly all owned by the same company or partner companies all over the country, and they will play the same shit, over, and over, and over EVERY DAY. It makes me sick.

Kraus
10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Be lucky you're in KC. When I moved to Springfield the stations are a whole lot worse.

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Its Because BeerMe lives in Illinois instead of KC. If he were here, he would save radio for all of us.

Bearcat
10-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Back when I listened to radio, I thought 100.3 out of Topeka (or somewhere like that) was the best rock station. I knew it was time for an iPod when listening to a song I never hear on the radio through static was better than listening to a crystal clear song for the 5th time that day.

morphius
10-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Were you around before 98.9? You think it is terrible now, my god unless you wanted to listen to Boston or anything older you were completely SOL

ZepSinger
10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
At home- Rhapsody

In the car- either 610 Sports or 88.5 (Christian rock). The mainstream rock stations suck eggs and have for years now. :banghead:

ChiefsGirl
10-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I haven't listened to regular radio since I bought a Sirius radio 3 years ago.

seclark
10-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Its Because BeerMe lives in Illinois instead of KC. If he were here, he would save radio for all of us.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHA.
sec

bobbything
10-02-2007, 09:49 AM
KY 102 was teh awesome.

Sully
10-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Anyone remember Beezer on that old AM rock station KC had before we got 98.9?

Am I remembering that correctly? I think I was 13 at the time (or younger).

Phobia
10-02-2007, 09:51 AM

Not all of us have the disposable income to throw at satradio. I might have it but I'd just rather spend my money elsewhere right now. Maybe one day.

I'm not sure 96.5 qualifies as rock but they play entirely too much Beastie Boys for my tastes. Otherwise, that station is the one I listen to when I'm not on the AM side.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Thank you. I'll start with AC/DC.

Woodrow Call
10-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Be lucky you're in KC. When I moved to Springfield the stations are a whole lot worse.

Yep

The only station I listen to anymore is Jock 98.7 and it sucks most of the time. The rock stations aren't very good and I could care less about the 200 country stations.

Planetman
10-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Thank you. I'll start with AC/DC.
ROFL
I'd like to put in a request for Metallica, Skynyrd, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd and Godsmack with some occasional Ozzy.

Sure-Oz
10-02-2007, 10:01 AM
i listen to 96.5 the buzz and 98.9 the rock sucks bad, i hate it....they play the same 4 songs from the 80's 90's and 70's, its either ozzy, metallica, or alice in chains.

Ku Klux Khiefs
10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
The radio stations suck because all they do is play that jungle monkey music that makes my knees ache.

Sure-Oz
10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
The radio stations suck because all they do is play that jungle monkey music that makes my knees ache.
lmfao at the name wow

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Its funny when people bitch about radio stations playing too much of the same thing.... but when we go "out there" for unfamiliar music or something new people turn to the station where they know the songs. We're in business to make money. Too much unfamiliar music turns off listeners, who leave, then ratings go down and advertising dollars leave, then the station shuts down.

The music is researched. It's what people have said they want and songs that test well among a particular audience. That's why it gets played. That's why it gets played a lot. Especially in a bigger market you can't afford to turn listeners to the competition for even one song. A set playlist will keep far more listeners than it turns away. There are a handful of stations that do a lot of album cuts and unfamiliar music. I promise you they don't make a lot of money. Kudos to them for staying on the air anyway.

Give the people what they want so they can bitch that they've got it. It's still the best job in the world... short of actually being a rock star.

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Id like some Pearl Jam also, as well as a few Oasis songs thrown in. Could you do that please?

petegz28
10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Its funny when people bitch about radio stations playing too much of the same thing.... but when we go "out there" for unfamiliar music or something new people turn to the station where they know the songs. We're in business to make money. Too much unfamiliar music turns off listeners, who leave, then ratings go down and advertising dollars leave, then the station shuts down.

The music is researched. It's what people have said they want and songs that test well amoung a particular audience. That's why it gets played. That's why it gets played a lot. Especially in a bigger market you can't afford to turn listeners to the competition for even one song. A set playlist will keep far more listeners than it turns away. There are a handful of stations that do a lot of album cuts and unfamiliar music. I promise you they don't make a lot of money. Kudos to them for staying on the air anyway.

Give the people what they want so they can bitch that they've got it. It's still the best job in the world... short of actually being a rock star.

Yes we want to hear Back and Black over and over and over and over and over.

You know Metallica had an album before Black?

beach tribe
10-02-2007, 10:38 AM

The music is researched. It's what people have said they want and songs that test well amoung a particular audience. That's why it gets played. That's why it gets played a lot. Especially in a bigger market you can't afford to turn listeners to the competition for even one song. A set playlist will keep far more listeners than it turns away. There are a handful of stations that do a lot of album cuts and unfamiliar music. I promise you they don't make a lot of money. Kudos to them for staying on the air anyway.

You are absolutely correct.

People as a whole are sheep.

Top 40s stations are usually the highest rated stations, and people still go out and buy the music that is on them, when they could just turn on the radio, and wait 10min to hear what ever song they are waiting for........Mind Boggling.

beach tribe
10-02-2007, 10:41 AM

Exactly...Example: I like Metallica, but the radio station only plays THREE of their songs over and over and over every day, dont tell me if they mixed it up a little people would turn the station. I have had this conversation with many people before, and they said they turn it becaue of this very reason.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Id like some Pearl Jam also, as well as a few Oasis songs thrown in. Could you do that please?
No. Heh. Actually most stations have a much bigger overall library than they actually play at any given time. Say you've got a 2000 song library... you rotate about 600 at a time and change out 50% of them every month or so... then the other 50% the next month. Otherwise you're literally never playing anything but the same songs and it "freshens" the station back up every so often. Like it or not it works.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Exactly...Example: I like Metallica, but the radio station only plays THREE of their songs over and over and over every day, dont tell me if they mixed it up a little people would turn the station. I have had this conversation with many people before, and they said they turn it becaue of this very reason.
See above post.

Skip Towne
10-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I want more Perry Como and Pat Boone tunes.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 10:44 AM
You are absolutely correct.

People as a whole are sheep.

Top 40s stations are usually the highest rated stations, and people still go out and buy the music that is on them, when they could just turn on the radio, and wait 10min to hear what ever song they are waiting for........Mind Boggling.
Right. Not saying I like it either but that's they way it is and it works.

seclark
10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
damnit beer me...play some f@ckin johnny winter!
sec

beach tribe
10-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Got it. I wish the stations mixed it up at all down here. The only time the rotation changes is when NEW songs are added.

Is your station owned by Clear channel?

Planetman
10-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I want more Perry Como and Pat Boone tunes.
When Johnny Jones was serenading Mary,
He sure could quote a lot of poetry
But he'd much rather tell her
what he learned in his speller
When they both attended PS thirty-three....

"A," you're adorable, "B," you're so beautiful,
"C," you're a cutie full of charms.
"D," you're a darling and "E," you're exciting
And "F," you're a feather in my arms.
"G," you look good to me, "H," you're so heavenly,
"I," you're the one I idolize.
"J," we're like Jack and Jill, "K," you're so kissable,
"L," is the lovelight in your eyes.

"M," "N," "O," "P," I could go on all day.
"Q," "R," "S," "T," alphabetically speaking, you're OK.

U," made my life complete, "V," means you're very sweet,
Double-"U" "X" "Y" "Zee."

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 10:49 AM

Yes, very aware. Good stuff too. A) see post #37 B) Even older songs are researched and the top scoring songs get played, low scoring songs don't. Not every song makes it. And believe it or not there's no quicker way for a stattion to hurt it's cume ratings than by playing too many requests. One does not speak for many in the radio game. That's why most requests are often confined to shows or features.

beach tribe
10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
One more Question. How many rock stations do you guys have up there, and what is the genre of your station.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Is your station owned by Clear channel?
No thank god... although that does have it's perks. We're a much smaller company.

beach tribe
10-02-2007, 10:51 AM
How the hell do you score a song?

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Well **** your radio station BeerMe. Stay in Illinois.

http://www.y108.ca/shared/corus_content/cfnyfm/images/general_content/Eddie%20Vedder%201.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
How the hell do you score a song?
Overall appeal to women/men... age groups... degree of familiarity... overall positve/negative reaction etc....

beach tribe
No thank god... although that does have it's perks. We're a much smaller company.
They are the main ones Im referring to.

Ive lived in TN, Pensacola, and Ft Lauderdale in the last ten yrs , with each move giving hope of a better station............ALL owned by Clear channel, and all the Exact same playlist :shake:

Dr. Facebook Fever
Well **** your radio station BeerMe. Stay in Illinois.

http://www.y108.ca/shared/corus_content/cfnyfm/images/general_content/Eddie%20Vedder%201.jpg
I love Pearl Jam. Top 5 band ever.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 10:55 AM
They are the main ones Im referring to.

Ive lived in TN, Pensacola, and Ft Lauderdale in the last ten yrs , with each move giving hope of a better station............ALL owned by Clear channel, and all the Exact same playlist :shake:
Not a surprise at all. That's the bad thing about big ownership groups. They use all their same music research everywhere. Because all parts of the country are the same you know.

petegz28
10-02-2007, 10:56 AM
I just thought it would do the local radio stations some good to know that there are other bands besides AD\DC and Led Zepplin.

patteeu
10-02-2007, 11:00 AM

You should be forced to listen to it over and over as many times as it takes you to get the name right.

Adept Havelock
Were you around before 98.9? You think it is terrible now, my god unless you wanted to listen to Boston or anything older you were completely SOL

Yeah, I like 98.9 OK, but I was one of the three listeners they had when they were KRVK "The River".

beach tribe
Not a surprise at all. That's the bad thing about big ownership groups. They use all their same music research everywhere. Because all parts of the country are the same you know.
Yea.......................ugh Luckily there is a HIGH SCHOOL!!!! radio station here that blows them all away.

You have to catch em at the right times, because they change their genres every 4 hrs and they play kiddie crap a lot of the time, but they have classic rock, rock, blues, jazz, and Im talking about a pretty crazy mix.

Like you said it prolly dont rate good with the sheep, but its a sure refresher for me.

ChiefsCountry
10-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Suprisenly growing up I thought all the Lake of the Ozarks stations sucked, well till I moved to Springfield and KC. All locally owned stations no national chains. Now they didnt play alot of the edgy stuff, but generally they play good music all day. Downside is the 30 minute newscasts and farm reports, stock market watchs etc.

CosmicPal
10-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Local radio stations was one of the pivotal reasons why I got satellite radio. I've had my Sirius for over five years now, and during that time, I never, ever switched to local radio.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Yea.......................ugh Luckily there is a HIGH SCHOOL!!!! radio station here that blows them all away.

You have to catch em at the right times, because they change their genres every 4 hrs and they play kiddie crap a lot of the time, but they have classic rock, rock, blues, jazz, and Im talking about a pretty crazy mix.

Like you said it prolly dont rate good with the sheep, but its a sure refresher for me.
Those kind of stations can be great. Just not generally commercially viable.

beach tribe
10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Those kind of stations can be great. Just not generally commercially viable.
exactly.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Local radio stations was one of the pivotal reasons why I got satellite radio. I've had my Sirius for over five years now, and during that time, I never, ever switched to local radio.
Amazingly satellite radio hasn't hurt commercial radio nearly as much as the industry thought it would. In the end many people still want the local feel as well as news, weather etc.

morphius
10-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I like 98.9 OK, but I was one of the three listeners they had when they were KRVK "The River".
It was depressing back in the late 80's early 90's in KC, it was old stuff on KY, or older stuff on 101, with a very static filled AM Heavy Metal station. Just pathetic. What made it even worse was in 91 I moved in Omahell, and they had better stations.

petegz28
10-02-2007, 11:38 AM
You should be forced to listen to it over and over as many times as it takes you to get the name right.

Ah touche....my bad. Back IN Black...how could I ever **** that up?

patteeu
10-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Ah touche....my bad. Back IN Black...how could I ever **** that up?

;) Typos happen to me all the time. I'm thinking the right words but they come out wrong sometimes.

Adept Havelock
10-02-2007, 11:46 AM
It was depressing back in the late 80's early 90's in KC, it was old stuff on KY, or older stuff on 101, with a very static filled AM Heavy Metal station. Just pathetic. What made it even worse was in 91 I moved in Omahell, and they had better stations.

I can believe it. I rarely listen to the radio, and I'm to cheap to pay for Sat. Radio.

ZepSinger
10-02-2007, 11:57 AM
damnit beer me...play some f@ckin johnny winter!
sec

That guy is AWESOME. What a great sound, great chops... :clap:

|Zach|
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Anyone remember 107.3 "The X" I loved that station when I was younger so did my friends.

Now 96.5 isn't too bad if they aren't talking.

plbrdude
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
classic rock stations all play the same stuff because the government has told them to. it is a mind control thing. don't tune in to classic rock stations.

memyselfI
10-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Do yourself a favor and subscribe to Sirius if you love Rock/Classic rock music. It is some of the best entertainment/sanity money I've ever spent...

especially if you spend alot of time in a car.

IMHO you can never have too much Led Zeppelin and complaining about their music should mean a one way trip to Gitmo...

but I agree they play the same damn five LZ songs ad nauseum but it's been that way since I was a teenager and fell in love with the band.

petegz28
10-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I shouldn't be suprised...growing up we called KY 102 the Bad Company station and 101 was the Floyd station for the longest.

Pitt Gorilla
10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Dude, trust me. They suck EVERYWHERE.

They are mostly all owned by the same company or partner companies all over the country, and they will play the same shit, over, and over, and over EVERY DAY. It makes me sick.107.9 (Rock 108) in Iowa is pretty solid.

Pitt Gorilla
10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Anyone remember 107.3 "The X" I loved that station when I was younger so did my friends.

Now 96.5 isn't too bad if they aren't talking.What happened to that station? Does it no longer exist?

|Zach|
10-02-2007, 12:37 PM
What happened to that station? Does it no longer exist?
It turned into an adult R+B type station.

Mr. Kotter
10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
My take is they are still trying to play for the folks who grew up on KY102....back in the 70s and 80s.

:shrug:

Mr. Kotter
10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Where's the Eurometal?

:thumb:

Another satisfied Zune addict here.

Mr Luzcious
10-02-2007, 12:46 PM
In my experience, rock stations (heck, any stations) in every city suck. I listen exclusively to my own cds now.

underEJ
10-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Amazingly satellite radio hasn't hurt commercial radio nearly as much as the industry thought it would. In the end many people still want the local feel as well as news, weather etc.

That poorly collected research was debunked a year ago as wishful thinking and marketing spin, and commercial radio interests are still fighting hard to limit satellite radio legally.

The early adopters of satellite were actually people who never listened to the radio anyway so it wasn't an audience that was lost to commercial radio, jazz lovers, classical, punk, and the poor traditional and outlaw country lovers who have been assaulted by NEW country on commercial radio, and then the truckers who are often out of range.

Now if the push into the mainstream audiences is successful with the additions of all the sports and specialty programming, it may still prove to eat away at the traditional radio audience.

Or, it's possible as more people subscribe to sat. radio, that it will shift to satisfy a widely mainstream audience, and the early adopters seeking something different will be left out in the cold again, as satellite becomes a commercial free version of the same old play list.

I wouldn't be surprised by either end.

eazyb81
10-02-2007, 01:03 PM
96.5 The Buzz is the best radio station i've ever listened to, IMO.

Here in Nashville the stations suck ass. It's country or crappy mom contemporary. Totally awful.

KCChiefsMan
10-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I hardly listen to the radio but I flipped it on and got
AC\DC, Metallica, Skynard, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd or Godsmack with the occasional Ozzy

I wouldn't complain

Demonpenz
10-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah i listen to mp3's or sattilite but sometimes it just isn't practicle like fishing or painting, or getting some work done in the garage. At anytime i can turn on 98.9 or any of the other channels and know the song. Atleast play some rare stuff once in awhile. The worst is when they play stuff that you can hear on every other station. You figure you can hear back on black by acdc on the rock at anytime. Why have it on classic 101 the fox

Inspector
10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
96.5 The Buzz is the best radio station i've ever listened to, IMO.

Here in Nashville the stations suck ass. It's country or crappy mom contemporary. Totally awful.

Our family is partial to the 96.5. My son is in a band and the Buzz has given them pretty good air play. He has a friend named Lazlo or Laslo or something like that who treats them well.

Agree with previous posts about Pearl Jam too. The guy who produced them with EPIC is also the producer of Vedera's next album. (Due out in late February / early March)

gblowfish
10-02-2007, 04:25 PM
You guys are always welcome to listen on line to my Live 365 station
RADBLOW!

It's free, show runs 8 hours with no repeats. I change it about every 2 weeks.
http://www.live365.com/stations/307567

"Bob" Dobbs
10-02-2007, 04:45 PM
That poorly collected research was debunked a year ago as wishful thinking and marketing spin, and commercial radio interests are still fighting hard to limit satellite radio legally.

The early adopters of satellite were actually people who never listened to the radio anyway so it wasn't an audience that was lost to commercial radio, jazz lovers, classical, punk, and the poor traditional and outlaw country lovers who have been assaulted by NEW country on commercial radio, and then the truckers who are often out of range.

Now if the push into the mainstream audiences is successful with the additions of all the sports and specialty programming, it may still prove to eat away at the traditional radio audience.

Or, it's possible as more people subscribe to sat. radio, that it will shift to satisfy a widely mainstream audience, and the early adopters seeking something different will be left out in the cold again, as satellite becomes a commercial free version of the same old play list.

I wouldn't be surprised by either end.

Satellite still has less than a 2 share nationally, and can't (yet) deal with local conditions. Once enough stations go HD and the HD radios start coming standard in new cars (2008 models of most Fords will have HD receivers), that'll marginalize satellite even more... as long as stations use their HD channels to FILL A NEED in the market. Radio guys: Are you HD yet? If not, are you planning to?

Demonpenz
10-02-2007, 04:54 PM
church of lazlo is cool
When i was in high school 107.3 and 105.9 the lazor was awesome 311, the urge, kottenmouth kings, sprung monkey, bolt upright, pearl jam some rare nirvana, 6% and no doubt, goldfinger, buck 09 those wer ethe days

patteeu
10-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah i listen to mp3's or sattilite but sometimes it just isn't practicle like fishing or painting, or getting some work done in the garage. At anytime i can turn on 98.9 or any of the other channels and know the song. Atleast play some rare stuff once in awhile. The worst is when they play stuff that you can hear on every other station. You figure you can hear back on black by acdc on the rock at anytime. Why have it on classic 101 the fox

WTF? Is it really that confusing? LMAO

Third Eye
10-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Anyone remember Beezer on that old AM rock station KC had before we got 98.9?

Am I remembering that correctly? I think I was 13 at the time (or younger).
Beezer was actually the local host (along with someone else, can't remember the name) of Z-rock, a rock/metal station based out Dallas, TX and broadcast in 10-15 cities. It was on 1030 AM. It was easily the best modern rock station ever. Anything from Slayer to Pantera to Nirvana, with the occasional swear word. When Z-rock went away I was very sad.

Halfcan
10-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Johnny Dare is even more annoying without Murphy. Carrie Cougar makes it suck even worse.

blaise
10-05-2007, 09:29 PM
FM radio stations in every market are the same, and 99.999% of them suck. And what makes it so bad isn't just the incessant repitition, but also the jackass DJ's that speak the same idiotic banter on every station. You have the FM DJ voice guy, who generally is about one level above some pervert cruising 15 year old girls on myspace. Then you have his cackling female sidekick, who laughs like a hyena every time the superstar DJ cuts a fart. Then you have the buffoon sidekick- Usually a guy with a speach impediment, or a gay guy- something like that. And of course, most have the asinine FM DJ name, "Adam Bomb, Sandy Beach, Caddilac Jack, Cactus Jack. The whole industry is a giant bag of dog crap. And I really don't care if it's commercially viable. The Backstreet Boys sold millions of CD's, but that doesn't mean they don't suck.

Bowser
10-05-2007, 11:32 PM

The music is researched. It's what people have said they want and songs that test well among a particular audience. That's why it gets played. That's why it gets played a lot. Especially in a bigger market you can't afford to turn listeners to the competition for even one song. A set playlist will keep far more listeners than it turns away. There are a handful of stations that do a lot of album cuts and unfamiliar music. I promise you they don't make a lot of money. Kudos to them for staying on the air anyway.

Here's some research for you - stop playing goddamned Candlebox four times a day, every day. We were all collectively sick of their two hits by the time 1998 rolled around.

Bowser
10-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Beezer was actually the local host (along with someone else, can't remember the name) of Z-rock, a rock/metal station based out Dallas, TX and broadcast in 10-15 cities. It was on 1030 AM. It was easily the best modern rock station ever. Anything from Slayer to Pantera to Nirvana, with the occasional swear word. When Z-rock went away I was very sad.

Greg from Johnny Dare's show was Beezer, and Dare was an afternoon guy, iirc.

Red N Gold Pride
02-17-2009, 02:21 AM

bump

Nightwish
02-17-2009, 05:06 AM
My own music - best. Satellite radio - good, better than regular radio by far. Talk radio - usually sucks as bad or worse than regular radio, unless it's Art Bell, then it's fun to listen just to see what kind of crazy, space alien wierdness he's going to come up with.

Dayze
02-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I haven't listened to regular radio since I bought a Sirius radio 3 years ago.

Yep.

My wife has Sirius in her car; love it.

In my car I listen to sports/news radio.
I seriously, can't stand listening to any FM Radio in KC.

I particularly can't listen to Johnny Dare; which is why i switched to sports radio 9 years ago.