PDA

View Full Version : Does Rock Music in General Suck Now?

Logical
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I think that petergz question about Rock Radio in KC being poor is more an issue of Rock music in general being sh1tty these days.

Your opinion, agree or disagree?

MichaelH
10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't live in the KC area but near Charlotte, NC. There's a modern rock channel that I listen to on the way home from work. It's a good drive time show. Anyways, I heard this song "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven. It's the gayest "rock" song I've ever heard.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-02-2007, 05:03 PM
I turned 30 this year. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I think Rock music has died.

Easy 6
10-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Agree.

Maybe i'm showing my age, yet i could give a rats ass.

My feelings on this issue could best be explained with a monologue from Bob Seger.."todays music aint got the same soul, i like that old time rock n roll".

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2007, 05:06 PM
does Dr. Doom suck in general?

Third Eye
10-02-2007, 05:07 PM
I turned 30 this year. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I think Rock music has died.
I turned 30 last year and I fully agree. Aside from the occasional TOOL or NIN ( and even they ain't what they used to be) I can't think of any compelling rock.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-02-2007, 05:09 PM
I turned 30 last year and I fully agree. Aside from the occasional TOOL or NIN ( and even they ain't what they used to be) I can't think of any compelling rock.

Yep. T00L particularly. 10,000 days was a great album, but paled in comparison to Undertow, Aenima, and even Opiate. Drop D was the beginning of the end. That's all I can think of.

Boon
Today's rock doesn't do anything for me, but it still gets youth fired up. That's what makes it great.

Logical
does Dr. Doom suck in general?

Not as much as that AriChiefs guy, boy he really sucked.

Demonpenz
10-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Tool, Foo fighters, Red hot chilli peppers, had real strong releases

Mr. Flopnuts
10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't live in the KC area but near Charlotte, NC. There's a modern rock channel that I listen to on the way home from work. It's a good drive time show. Anyways, I heard this song "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven. It's the gayest "rock" song I've ever heard.

What station? I moved back to Seattle from Concord NC back in April. I generally listened to 106.5 The End when I listened to the radio at all back there.

MichaelH
10-02-2007, 05:14 PM
What station? I moved back to Seattle from Concord NC back in April. I generally listened to 106.5 The End when I listened to the radio at all back there.

Yep, the show I was referring to is The Budweiser lounge with Kristen and Jack Daniel. I like their show but can't take most of the music they play.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Yep, the show I was referring to is The Budweiser lounge with Kristen and Jack Daniel. I like their show but can't take most of the music they play.

Hmm. Did Jack at night get moved to the afternoon show? Maybe that's a different Jack. Seems Kristen and Jack Daniel were doing the drive time show when I was there as well. Their music isn't good, but it's better than any other rock station in town. IMO anyways.

Woodrow Call
10-02-2007, 05:21 PM
My 2 favorites genres of music are rock and rap and I rarely hear any new stuff that I like.

I miss the good old days of Nirvana, STP, Soundgarden, White Zombie, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains etc. I just can't find any new bands that influenced me like they did. Maybe I'm just getting old. :banghead:

I'm sure there is some good stuff out there, I'm just too lazy to find it.

Easy 6
10-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Tool, Foo fighters, Red hot chilli peppers, had real strong releases

I love all of those bands, but i dont think of them as "new rock"...those guys have all been around awhile.

Baconeater
10-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Eh, I don't know if it is overall any worse now, there was a lot of crappy music being played on the radio when I was young as well.

Baconeater
10-02-2007, 05:24 PM
My 2 favorites genres of music are rock and rap and I rarely hear any new stuff that I like.

I miss the good old days of Nirvana, STP, Soundgarden, White Zombie, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains etc. I just can't find any new bands that influenced me like they did. Maybe I'm just getting old. :banghead:

I'm sure there is some good stuff out there, I'm just too lazy to find it.
If those were your "good old days", then you're not that old. :)

MichaelH
10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Hmm. Did Jack at night get moved to the afternoon show? Maybe that's a different Jack. Seems Kristen and Jack Daniel were doing the drive time show when I was there as well. Their music isn't good, but it's better than any other rock station in town. IMO anyways.

If you're ever back in the area, try 93.3, The Planet out of Greenville, SC. They ROCK! When I want to listen to anything from Ozzy to the Foo Fighters, that's the channel. I used to work around Lake Norman and still picked it up clear.

Simplex3
10-02-2007, 06:00 PM
The problem with rock is that, in order for it to work, it can't be manufactured. You actually have to have a band, and they actually have to play music that they wrote and that has some meaning to them.

Record execs can't have this. It doesn't meet any formulas, so it's hit and miss. The band existed before they signed with the label and they are likely friends, so it's harder to dump single members who may not meet the label's standards. Simply too many question marks, and with all the boobs in the US eager to lap up that pop puke, why bother.

Count Zarth
10-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Not totally. Once in a while you find a great song like that Saliva track I used for the defensive highlight video.

Thing is...all the rest of the music on that album SUCKED.

sportsman1
Im a country and classic rock type person. New rock just sounds whinny, generic and Lame. Just my opinion but Im sure there are others.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Not totally. Once in a while you find a great song like that Saliva track I used for the defensive highlight video.

Thing is...all the rest of the music on that album SUCKED.

Ladies and Gentlemen??

Count Zarth
10-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen??

Yes.

Demonpenz
10-02-2007, 06:12 PM
I wasn't really influenced by nirvana or pearl jam too much. I grew up On limp bizkit, korn, p.o.d. A sound that defined a generation

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Not as much as that AriChiefs guy, boy he really sucked.

Yeah, but that guy didn't squash joy and happiness like that Logical douche guy does. Logical seems to thrive on other people misfortunes and sorrow.

Plus, he hates God.

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't mean this to come across as a self-indulgent, shameless,self- promotion for the band that I am in, and have been for the past 17years, but they've been around since 1968, and have been going strong, simply because no one's been able to pigeonhole them into one category or another...

Sweet, you are in Menudo? That's awesome!

kcfanintitanhell
10-02-2007, 07:18 PM

Menudo's been around since '68?

NewChief
10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Two words:

Arcade Fire.

Halfcan
10-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Yep every band sounds like Nickleback.

JohninGpt
10-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Wow, I thought that at age 16 you either had to quite or be castrated. Your still in after 17 years?

Third Eye
10-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I wasn't really influenced by nirvana or pearl jam too much. I grew up On limp bizkit, korn, p.o.d. A sound that defined a generation
LOL! A generation with no taste? OK, Korn's first album was good, but Limp Bizkit? POD? Band's like those were the death of metal. Don't even get me started on Lincoln Park.

PS-Nirvana and Pearl Jam influenced alot more people than the ones you listed, and this is coming from a guy who thinks Pearl Jam only had one decent album (Ten).

kcfanintitanhell
10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Wow, I thought that at age 16 you either had to quite or be castrated. Your still in after 17 years?

That's why I deleted my post. To get an idiotic response like that is not worth the waste of time to try to defend it.

Halfcan
10-02-2007, 08:45 PM
That's why I deleted my post. To get an idiotic response like that is not worth the waste of time to try to defend it.

An Idiotc response on the Planet? I bet that is the first time that has happened. :rolleyes:

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Rock still kicks 12 kinds of ass.

Terribilis
10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Two words:

Arcade Fire.

big fan- they are awesome

Thig Lyfe
I like The Shins and Spoon. They're pretty good.

Halfcan
I blame Ozzfest and that nasty **** Sharon. they drag bands on stage that have no business playing in front of crowds.

If kids today would listen to more Rush-the whole world would be a better place.

Terribilis
10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Finger Eleven is a pretty ghey band name too

Ari Chi3fs
10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Mute Math is pretty good.

I also dig OK Go, they crack me up.

petegz28
10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
There are still some good rock bands out there. Both old and new.

Buehler445
10-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Meh. Music is what it is. There is some decent stuff out there, but there is a poop-ton of GARBAGE. Wading through it is tough. Thank god you can d/l them one at a time.

petegz28
10-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Meh. Music is what it is. There is some decent stuff out there, but there is a poop-ton of GARBAGE. Wading through it is tough. Thank god you can d/l them one at a time.

I just hate when I see like VH1 sucking off bands like Poison as if they were some God to 80's metal when it was the bands like them that really trashed a lot of good music.

Buehler445
10-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I just hate when I see like VH1 sucking off bands like Poison as if they were some God to 80's metal when it was the bands like them that really trashed a lot of good music.

Agreed. The 80's was responsible for a LOT of bad music. Thank god Metalica came along.

Terribilis
10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
1989 = Fugazi, 7 Seconds -Outhouse; Lawrence, KS

awesome memories for a high school kid- way better then Poison

petegz28
10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Agreed. The 80's was responsible for a LOT of bad music. Thank god Metalica came along.

UGH!. The 80's were also responsible for a lot of kick ass music. Bands like Maiden, Ozzy when everyone thought he was the Devil, early Priest, Triumph, Rush, Queensryche.....man some of your most talented musicians came out in the 90's.

Now a days it's all corproate boy and girl bands and one hit wonders

Buehler445
10-02-2007, 09:30 PM
UGH!. The 80's were also responsible for a lot of kick ass music. Bands like Maiden, Ozzy when everyone thought he was the Devil, early Priest, Triumph, Rush, Queensryche.....man some of your most talented musicians came out in the 90's.

Now a days it's all corproate boy and girl bands and one hit wonders

I'd agree with that. You have to look hard to find origional stuff. Even then they try to make 37 different kinds of music. I used to like Brand New, they were a pretty solid punk band. Now they make rediculous drugee sounding music. :cuss:

JohninGpt
10-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Lighten up dude, it was a joke about Menudo, not about you.

CoMoChief
10-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Everything is all Corporate Rock now because that's where the money is.

QuikSsurfer
10-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Good call on Mute Math. A lot of grunge references in this thread.. and a lot of indie rock
Shins, Arcade Fire - these bands had GREAT early releases. "Oh, inverted world" stayed in my cd player for a year.

Tribal Warfare
10-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Everything is all Corporate Rock now because that's where the money is.

excluding System of course

Logical
10-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, but that guy didn't squash joy and happiness like that Logical douche guy does. Logical seems to thrive on other people misfortunes and sorrow.

Plus, he hates God.

God may hate Logical, but Logical does not hate God.

Psyko Tek
10-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Bands I think Can ( and sometimes do)rock

Social Distortion
Authority Zero
Bad Religion
Audioslave

Praramout (that one song)
even that Chick who needs to go to rehab
sounds like good Motown

kcfanintitanhell
10-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Lighten up dude, it was a joke about Menudo, not about you.

Point taken, thanks. Guess I failed to see the humor.
I'll just move along now.

Halfcan
10-02-2007, 10:24 PM
No big Rock bands out since Creed.

Creed was huge.

Deberg_1990
10-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Wheres the love for Nickelback in this thread??

Mr Luzcious
10-02-2007, 10:30 PM

And I hate Nickelback.

Halfcan
10-02-2007, 10:31 PM

And I didn't mean that in a good way. :banghead:

RJ
10-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Obviously Dr. Doom hasn't heard BugPoison's latest release. Definitely does NOT suck.

PunkinDrublic
10-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Bands I think Can ( and sometimes do)rock

Social Distortion
Authority Zero
Bad Religion
Audioslave

Praramout (that one song)
even that Chick who needs to go to rehab
sounds like good Motown

Went and saw Bad Religion last night and it was a great show. Too bad they had to play that corporate shithole house of blues.

PunkinDrublic
10-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Mainstream rock is ****ing generic as it gets. I mean when you look at the billboard top ten in the modern rock category you kind of shake your head in disbelief about how bad most peoples taste in music is.

Psyko Tek
10-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Went and saw Bad Religion last night and it was a great show. Too bad they had to play that corporate shithole house of blues.

saw them at a festival on saturday
Social D played right before them

Kick ass show

Buck
10-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Rock sucks nowadays...

I dont know when it began, but its been in a downward spiral since grunge began I guess.

Nzoner
10-02-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm 44 and still finding some newer rock music that I like alot,however,I also have to search for it.

Also taking into consideration the different genres of rock I've found that the new(er) bands I'm liking the most are in the Prog Rock genre.

Lastly,although a couple of years old I can't say enough good about Bowie's ex guitarist Earl Slick and his solo project,two thumbs way up.

http://www.starpolish.com/news/interviews/earlslick/EARL01.jpg

Jayhawkerman2001
10-02-2007, 11:25 PM
thats an astounding YES from me!! Rock music is all prefab now, too poppy and fake.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-03-2007, 12:43 AM
I blame Ozzfest and that nasty **** Sharon. they drag bands on stage that have no business playing in front of crowds.

If kids today would listen to more Rush-the whole world would be a better place.

Word.

Jim Jones
10-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Muse is friggin great. Listen to them if you can.

Easy 6
10-03-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm 44 and still finding some newer rock music that I like alot,however,I also have to search for it.

Also taking into consideration the different genres of rock I've found that the new(er) bands I'm liking the most are in the Prog Rock genre.

Lastly,although a couple of years old I can't say enough good about Bowie's ex guitarist Earl Slick and his solo project,two thumbs way up.

http://www.starpolish.com/news/interviews/earlslick/EARL01.jpg

I agree, theres a lot of good music still being made, its just not being promoted by the major labels like it used to be...you gotta search for it.

KC Jones
10-03-2007, 06:47 AM
I don't think it sucks, but you can't rely on radio or TV to let you know who the good bands are. You really have to dig, but once you do you find an amazing amount of great music.

KC radio died 25 years ago and has the same crap play list from then. The only 'refreshment' it's had is an occasional crappy pop station that's out of business in a year or two.

I've found two decent rock stations since moving to Denver and this one you can listen to online: http://www.kbco.com/main.html

Duck Dog
10-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Rock today IMO, is way better than the 80's glam band crap. 80's rock was almost as bad as disco. I think todays rock along with grunge has really gotten very good.

Tribal Warfare
10-03-2007, 07:29 AM
And I hate Nickelback.

I can handle Nickelback, but Scott Stamp and Creed can F*CKOFF!

jidar
10-03-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't want to be just another person who goes through life listening to the same music they listened to in highschool and college while saying "all new music sucks!"

beach tribe
10-03-2007, 07:34 AM
MOST Rock on the Radio Sucks.

You can still find some gems if you look hard enough.

BLACK LABEL SOCIETY has some Head knocking shit, and their more mellow stuff with pianos is fukin awesome.

See. Hangover Music BLS

beach tribe
10-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I don't want to be just another person who goes through life listening to the same music they listened to in highschool and college while saying "all new music sucks!"
Yea. me too.

Its hard to find music that hits me like it used to.

Some of that i attribute to the way we are influenced by it at that young age, and another is all the carbon copy mass produced music that will only get worse.

But like I said REAL music is out there, its just usually not mainstream.

StcChief
10-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Rock died since ~1975

beach tribe
10-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Rock died since ~1975
Only in your mind.

Simply Red
10-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Are you kidding? The Boss is about to bring it! :rolleyes:

DaKCMan AP
10-03-2007, 07:46 AM
No.

Chiefnj2
10-03-2007, 07:47 AM
It pretty much sucks. I find a lot of pop-country songs have much more of a classic rock type sound than todays rock.

I also appreciate classic rock bands that I didn't previously care for when I was younger like Queen.

Carlota69
10-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Well, I work in rock radio and I dont think it has died...In fact, it is taking over hip-hop as the most profitable and highly rated type of format in radio, aside from spanish....spanish rules on this side of the country..

If you like Soundgarden/Guns N roses...Check out Operator...the CD is called Soulcrusher and it FKN rocks. He sounds exactly like Chris Cornell from Soundgarden days...its uncanny...The New Foo Fighters is pretty damn hot, And Chad Kroeger from Nickelback has hooked up with Santana and it is pretty good as well...and I dont like Nickelback...but this tune is good. Looks like the new Kid rock is going to be a really well balanced rock CD and we will see pretty soon if the New metallica is worth a shit...

HMc
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Kings of Leon
The Killers ("rock" in my language)

seems like the heavier sound is popular here but there's plenty of good honest guitar music coming out of the UK

Arctic Monkeys
Kasabian

ZepSinger
10-03-2007, 08:43 AM
I think it's all relative to one's age. When I was in my teens/twenties, I could not get enough rock. I knew every band, every tune, went to every concert within 100 miles, waited breathlessly for the latest album by KISS/Zeppelin/Judas/Queen etc.- and it MATTERED. The music was a huge part of my life then, not having had any experience with life's real issues like career, mortgage, wife, kids, insurance, etc.

But now- I could care less about today's rock music scene. The sheer importance of music seems awfully insignificant to me now, 25 years down the road. Oh, I sure think old skewl rock can't be beat, but how the hell would I know for sure? Perhaps the young, wide-eyed present day Zeps of the world would beg to differ....

Zepsinger, waxing philosophic :hmmm:

patteeu
10-03-2007, 08:46 AM

:thumb: I'm also 44 and I agree completely. I don't "discover" nearly as much good music these days because I'm limited by a dialup connection, but through tips from friends irl, here and elsewhere on the internet, I occasionally check out new rock and find that there's still plenty of stuff I like being made today.

I think every generation tends to think rock music declines as they get out of their prime teenage/college-age rock years and grow older. It just gets harder to find and appreciate contemporary music as you get on with your life and have less leisure time to party and rock out.

Speaking of getting old, I'd imagine that Dr. Doom hasn't been able to get into rock since The Yardbirds broke up and Jimmy Page decided to butcher rock music with a "modern" group he called Led Zeppelin. :p

Chief Chief
10-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Agree.

Maybe i'm showing my age, yet i could give a rats ass.

My feelings on this issue could best be explained with a monologue from Bob Seger.."todays music aint got the same soul, i like that old time rock n roll".

What happened, Mary Catherine Gallagher? Couldn't find an appropriate monologue from a made-for-TV movie from the '70's? Oh well..here's your cue to leap into a stack of chairs...

Rausch
10-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I think that petergz question about Rock Radio in KC being poor is more an issue of Rock music in general being sh1tty these days.

Your opinion, agree or disagree?

Agree.

I can't think of one band that's come out in the last 5 years I'd pay to see...

|Zach|
10-03-2007, 09:00 AM
I don't know what the state of good rock music has to do with what is played on the radio. I don't think they have anything to do with eachother.

Brock
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I don't know what the state of good rock music has to do with what is played on the radio. I don't think they have anything to do with eachother.

If it isn't played on the radio, most people won't hear it.

beach tribe
10-03-2007, 09:10 AM
This is true, but when you think back to years past, all music is judged against what was mainstream. Can you name any underground bands from the Zeppelin era.
Tough argument though there were no interwebs back then.

|Zach|
10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
This is true, but when you think back to years past, all music is judged against what was mainstream. Can you name any underground bands from the Zeppelin era.
I think music is listened to and distributed in completely different ways now. The connection from the artist to the listener is more direct.

EyePod
10-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Ok, I'm a big fan of Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace. Breaking Ben's older stuff seemed better, but Three Days Grace's newest CD is amazing. I enjoy every song on that CD.

beach tribe
10-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I like Bens stuff.

TDG is pretty cool, but Im over the whole: cry about something in evry song shit.

Note to new artists: GROW SOME FUKIN NUTS CRYBABIES.

beach tribe
10-03-2007, 09:17 AM
I think music is listened to and distributed in completely different ways now. The connection from the artist to the listener is more direct.
True.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I hear there are alot of good emo bands out there....

|Zach|
10-03-2007, 09:19 AM
I think people that are mocking emo bands talk about emo bands more than actual fans ever could.

Nzoner
10-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Can you name any underground bands from the Zeppelin era.

During that time you did have radio stations like Beaker Street out of Little Rock,I can still recall as a 9 year old tuning it in on a little AM transistor radio and hearing ELP's Tocotta for the first time.While ELP was a name that one wouldn't classify underground there were also such bands as Tucky Buzzard and Frijid Pink(to name a couple)that were not familiar with mainstream radio listeners that were very good nonetheless.

beach tribe
10-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Cool man thanx. Ill check em out.

HypnotizedMonkey
10-03-2007, 09:41 AM
The Major Labels are making a mockery of a legitimate art-form by trying to squeeze all of the money out of it that they can. Music is dead.

http://i21.tinypic.com/2mysu8m.jpg