PDA

View Full Version : I traded my Xbox 360 for a PS3

Mr. Flopnuts
10-02-2007, 05:50 PM
And I love it. It is superior to the 360 in almost every way. The only problem I have with it is a lack of games. Built in wi-fi, bluetooth technology. What's not to love?

ZootedGranny
10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
What's not to love?

a lack of games

I'll definitely be picking up the
$400 version a couple of months from now (http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=621339). I have to play Hot Shots Golf 5 & Metal Gear Solid 4.

Fruit Ninja
10-02-2007, 06:00 PM
The thing with the ps3 right now is no developers wanna make games for it, it cost to much, and there isnt alot of people with the ps3, so they see it as a no win situation.

MS is racking up alot of exclusives with games. It is superior to the X360, but remember the xbox was superior to the PS2 and look how that turned out.

If the PS3 can pick up some steam and get some good games out that makes me want to buy it, i may one day. As of right now, there is only 1 game i would think about buying for it, and that would be Killzone 2.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I got a smokin deal on the 360 I bought used, and then another smokin deal on the PS3 straight up trade. I knew someone would be hard up for Halo 3 and it paid off. I ended up with about $1000 worth of shit for $400 total. Craigslist is my best friend.

The fact that there aren't many games for it does bother me. I can't help but wonder if I'm sitting here with the 21st centuries version of the beta max. Gawd I hope not.

Deberg_1990
10-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Why doesnt Sony sell a version of the PS3 without the Blue Ray player for $200 less or so?

It seems it might boost the sales...

Guru
10-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Why doesnt Sony sell a version of the PS3 without the Blue Ray player for $200 less or so?

It seems it might boost the sales...
THAT would go a long way into getting people to buy one.

I for one don't care for PS. Why? I hate the controller. It cramps up my hands because it is too small. Plus, they need the left analog stick up in the primary control position. I have been saying that since before the XBOX was even being talked about.

Fruit Ninja
10-02-2007, 06:33 PM

It seems it might boost the sales...The games run on blue ray discs. There's no way around it.

Valiant
10-02-2007, 07:22 PM
And I love it. It is superior to the 360 in almost every way. The only problem I have with it is a lack of games. Built in wi-fi, bluetooth technology. What's not to love?

Enjoy your dreamcast..

IGN or some site broke down the PS3 vs. the 360 and PS3 won maybe two categories if I remember right.. Size of hard drive and processor, everything else the way 360 made the thing made it better...

But it will be a good deal for you IF sony ever gets some games for it..

Kraus
10-02-2007, 07:23 PM
As a console, the PS3 > 360.

But there just isn't the game support. There are very few exclusive games to the PS3 that would make me spend the money to get one.

Valiant
10-02-2007, 07:30 PM
As a console, the PS3 > 360.

But there just isn't the game support. There are very few exclusive games to the PS3 that would make me spend the money to get one.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Short answer: XBOX 360.

Long answer: Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.

Price: This is obvious; the XBOX 360 core is only $299. The PS3 is around $499 for the 20GB version. It comes with a hard drive, but you donít need a hard drive to enjoy a lot of great games on the 360 so I think itís fair to compare both core systems.

Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, itís quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPUís the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPUís on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPUís and do things the XBOX 360 canít, but I donít think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I canít get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.

Game Selection: The XBOX 360 has a huge head start here. 1 year is an eternity in gaming. Almost all multi-platform developers have made the XBOX 360 their primary platform due to timing of release-to-market, this means the games will look and perform better on the 360. The PS3 versions will be ports of the 360 versions. (The opposite was true for XBOX 1 vs. PS2). The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPUís vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will Ďadd ps3 supportí as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360ís due to manpower and more importantly, demand. Itís this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back.

The other obvious point here is that right now the Xbox360 already has a very impressive line-up of titles on store shelves; the ps3 just launched, and has virtually nothing of interest. Also, many 360 games are already discounted ($25 for Fight Night 3 at CircuitCity). PS3 games are all full price since it just launched.

Live: Microsoftís online support with XBOX1 was phenomenal. They built in-house experience, user base, facilities, $$ commitment from executive level (since it proved successful), and most importantly, feedback from 100,000s of XBOX Live subscribers. Playstation 2ís online support sucked. They are now playing catch-up, trying to emulate Xboxís model. But they had their hands tied just trying to make the PS3 work, it was incredibly ambitious (blu-ray etc.). I havenít seen it yet, but I seriously doubt the quality will be anywhere to the level of XBOX 360.

HD Content: The PS3 comes with one built in (blu-ray). The XBOX 360 offers HD-DVD as an add-on for $200. You probably donít care about HD-DVD right now. But you will soon (The quality between DVD and HD is comparable to VHS vs DVD, if you have the right TV) so I suggest paying attention to the war thatís begun. There are two formats: HD-DVD and BLU-RAY. Basically if you rent a BLU-RAY DVD from Bockbuster, it wonít play in your XBOX 360 HD-DVD, and vice versa with the PS3. The implications of this format war would require another article on its own. But as far as the consoles are concerned, the XBOX 360 wins because the DVD player is a separate unit. Playing movies is very taxing on the DVD reader, and letís face it. In 3 years when your PS3 DVD drive goes out due to playing lots of movies (PS2 was notoriously bad about this) you will have to go buy another PS3. With the 360, youíll just chuck your HD-DVD player, and go buy another one at the store. In 3 years standalone units wlil probably only cost about $99-150. Another point for the XBOX 360, is that I donít know who will win the format-war, so I would rather wait with purchase of a HD player. The PS3 doesnít give you this option.

PS3 controversy: Shootings, Wallmart fights, $15,000 Ebay sales etc. My advice is ignore it. It will pass soon.

Valiant
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

IGN breaks down why the 360 is more powerful..

Kraus
10-02-2007, 07:38 PM
The 360 still has quite a few design flaws to work out. I haven't nearly heard of as many PS3's breaking as I have 360's.

Heck, I'm on my fourth 360 now. First one had RRoD and the other two had disc tray malfunctions. I'm sure if M$ could make a reliable console they would completely blow away the others. I know many people who want a 360 but don't want to take the risk.

Valiant
10-02-2007, 07:47 PM
The 360 still has quite a few design flaws to work out. I haven't nearly heard of as many PS3's breaking as I have 360's.

Heck, I'm on my fourth 360 now. First one had RRoD and the other two had disc tray malfunctions. I'm sure if M$ could make a reliable console they would completely blow away the others. I know many people who want a 360 but don't want to take the risk.

No one bought any PS3's to find out.. The only console that has never had problems is Nintendo.. PS2's went thru the same problems 360 went through, so Microsoft and Sony both have failed on that...

Of course now the question is what are you doing to break the 360's or is your roommate/wife doing it to get you to quit playing??? I have had mine since the first week.. 4 of them breaking sounds environmental to me...

Kraus
10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
That's what everybody says that hasn't had theirs break.

I did nothing to break my systems. I've owned almost every system since the NES, never really had any problems with any of them.

The first 360 I had would just get insanely hot... and eventually got the RRoD after only 3 days. I kept it where it got plenty of ventilation. M$ has even admitted it that there is a design flaw. The latter two 360's I had, the disc tray just broke while I was playing a game. The console was untouched.

Check about anywhere online and you'll see many people have the same problems and have gone through multiple systems.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25835777

http://kotaku.com/gaming/poll/the-broken-360-poll-281285.php

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I've had one 360 crap out on me, and two original X-Boxes.

It sucks, but I had two of the 3 replaced under warranty.

Fruit Ninja
10-02-2007, 10:56 PM

the RROD has been fixed with the new heatsink. The problem is finding the ones that have one. They new ones that they are manufacturing right now will not RRoD. I mean i am sure some will, but that 33 percent failure rate will go down with the new ones. The 65mm speed ones have nothing to do with it either.

Fruit Ninja
10-02-2007, 10:57 PM
oh yeah, i went through 4 PS1's. Sometimes it happens. lol

KCChiefsMan
10-02-2007, 11:00 PM
sony lost my business in video games after my 3rd PS2 broke. screw that

Fruit Ninja
10-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I am also bitter right now that NBA2k8 was sold out in 3 freaking stores :(

KcMizzou
10-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I was a PS2 guy... now I'm an XBOX 360 guy.

Clearly I'm no fan boy...

The 360 was more affordable when I was ready to jump into the new generation, and now it has many more quality games than the PS3. (The same thing happened in reverse, last generation)

Why would I drop even $400 on a PS3, when I already have a console of similar quality, and a much better selection of games?

I can't see PS3 catching up at this point. It's too late.

KcMizzou
10-03-2007, 08:56 PM
sony lost my business in video games after my 3rd PS2 broke. screw thatWell, it's not like the 360 doesn't have issues of it's own.

(I've been lucky so far)

KcMizzou
10-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Heck, I'm on my fourth 360 now. First one had RRoD and the other two had disc tray malfunctions. I'm sure if M$ could make a reliable console they would completely blow away the others. I know many people who want a 360 but don't want to take the risk.Seriously?

I've had mine for... I dunno... a year and a half?

Never had a single problem.

Ultra Peanut
10-03-2007, 09:04 PM
The only problem I have with it is a lack of games.Yeah, aside from that it is an excellent gaming system and, quite frankly, a bargain.

KcMizzou
10-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Is Squaresoft still making games exclusively for Sony?

That might be the one thing that would make me think about it. I'm a FF dork. I'd love to see it done in HD.

Woodrow Call
10-03-2007, 10:18 PM
2 weeks ago I had a friend in Springfield get the red ring, a couple of days later a friend at work got the red ring, this week another friend got the red ring so he bought the base unit to use while his was being fixed and ONE day later that 360 broke.

I love my 360 but how ridiculous is it that things like this happen. Its just a matter of time till I join the Red Ring of Death club. :cuss:

ChiefsLV
10-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Seriously?

I've had mine for... I dunno... a year and a half?

Never had a single problem.

I'm on my third. First one manufactured 8/06 died w/ RROD. Second one manufactured 10/06 and sent to me "refurbished" had a bad DVD drive the day I got it (don't they test these things)? Then they finally sent me a brand new one. I had a scare tonight with it. I turned it on and got one red light in the ring, upper right with the unit horizontal, but after I turned it off and back on, I was good to go. whew.

Oh ya and if you have to return a replacement 360 within a month after you got it like I did, they give you one free shitty game that sells for $20 in stores. yay :rolleyes:

TinyEvel
10-04-2007, 10:19 PM
2 weeks ago I had a friend in Springfield get the red ring, a couple of days later a friend at work got the red ring, this week another friend got the red ring so he bought the base unit to use while his was being fixed and ONE day later that 360 broke.

I love my 360 but how ridiculous is it that things like this happen. Its just a matter of time till I join the Red Ring of Death club. :cuss:

Buy a PS3. It's the future. That Heavenly Sword game is the shiznit. And have you seen the trailer for Big Little Planet?

Lzen
11-20-2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7964601

So do you all still feel that the 360 is the better deal now that you can buy a 40GB PS3 for $399? I am still trying to decide which to buy. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

QuikSsurfer
11-20-2007, 09:00 AM
with no backwards compatibility

Reaper16
11-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Buy a PS3. It's the future. That Heavenly Sword game is the shiznit. And have you seen the trailer for Big Little Planet?
Heavenly Sword kinda sucks, actually. :(

Reaper16
11-20-2007, 09:32 AM

So do you all still feel that the 360 is the better deal now that you can buy a 40GB PS3 for $399?
In a word? Yes.

Reaper16
11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
I mean, the 360 holiday bundle is insane. For $350, you get the premium Xbox 360 package, plus two games: Marvel Ultmate Alliance (okay game, fun co-op) and Forza Motorsport 2 (bad-ass game, one of the best racing sims of all time).

Cochise
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I think that to really compare the two you'd need to add the 360s HD-DVD player, then they would really be comparable systems.

I wouldn't buy one unless the price came down, it just sounded like maybe they were gaining some ground, and the world might be big enough for 3 systems after all.

The Betamax failed because they initially couldn't deliver a tape that ran for more than 1 hour, IIRC, and Matsushita had one that would tape for 3 or 4 hours. It kind of sounds like blueray vs. hd-dvd thing.

Fruit Ninja
11-20-2007, 11:27 AM

So do you all still feel that the 360 is the better deal now that you can buy a 40GB PS3 for $399? I am still trying to decide which to buy. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.
I would get a 360 first if your primarly into gaming. Its no contest. If your into HD movies, well then the PoS3 isnt a bad choice either.

If i had the extra cash i would get both a Wii and a PoS3, but i dont, but in the near future i may get either a Wii or a PoS3. Tough choice, but right now i am leaning towards the Wii. I will wait til after the holidays see if we see any better deals coming out.

Reaper16
11-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I'd totally pick up a PS3 if I could afford it. But I can't; I can't afford to buy all of the great games out right now. I haven't played Assassin's Creed yet and I'm not able to pick up Mass Effect right now. Ugh.

Cochise
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I'd like to hear from anyone who owns a PS3, do you really need the bigger hard drives?

I used to have a 360, and I'm not sure about you guys, but I only used about half the space. I'd download game demos but delete them when I was done. I had a couple arcade games on there but that doesn't take up any space.

Is there any reason why you need a bigger size than the smallest hard drive?

Are they upgradeable on the PS3?

Reaper16
11-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I'd like to hear from anyone who owns a PS3, do you really need the bigger hard drives?

I used to have a 360, and I'm not sure about you guys, but I only used about half the space. I'd download game demos but delete them when I was done. I had a couple arcade games on there but that doesn't take up any space.

Is there any reason why you need a bigger size than the smallest hard drive?

Are they upgradeable on the PS3?
I can see larger storage capacity being a boon if developers would take advantage of it. Criticism of Mass Effect suggests that a full install option would have been welcome.

JBucc
11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Are they upgradeable on the PS3?I believe you can use any usb hard drive on the PS3. I could be mistaken though.

Bump
11-20-2007, 12:23 PM
sony lost my business in video games after my 3rd PS2 broke (disc read error) back in the day. I got the XBOX and never looked back

Fruit Ninja
11-20-2007, 12:45 PM
sony lost my business in video games after my 3rd PS2 broke (disc read error) back in the day. I got the XBOX and never looked back
Your xbox will break down, but the good thing is you can send it back for another one for up to 3 years.

Your xbox will red ring.

Demonpenz
11-21-2007, 03:51 PM
ps3 maybe stronger as a system and more powerful but it lacks games

Kraus
11-21-2007, 03:56 PM
All I can say is ... Mass Effect rocks. I love my 360.

Cochise
11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Your xbox will break down, but the good thing is you can send it back for another one for up to 3 years.

Your xbox will red ring.

I had one for 2-3 years, never had an issue. Gave it to my brother, still works for him.

Fruit Ninja
11-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I had one for 2-3 years, never had an issue. Gave it to my brother, still works for him.
Your one of the very very lucky ones then. I just put it in my mind that its going to eventually go down, So when that time does come, i am not pissed about it.lol

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-21-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm on my second 360, and had 3 original X-Boxes. Got all but one replaced under warranty. Great system, but optical drives are shitifully unreliable.

JBucc
11-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I got mine back I don't know, maybe 3 weeks ago from my first "repair" and it's already freezing up some.

Lzen
11-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I had my original PS2 about 6 months after it was released. It started the disc read error BS about a year or two later. Eventually, my little girl knocked it onto the floor and it went dead. The second PS2 I bought never had any problems. As a matter of fact, I still use it to this day.

Here is what I am thinking as far as getting a new system. If I somehow miraculously get in on the Amazon.com incredible good deal on the PS3 deal that I voted for, I will buy it. If not, I will go with the Xbox 360 (not the suck ass core system) from wherever I can find the best deal.

Delano
11-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I had my original PS2 about 6 months after it was released. It started the disc read error BS about a year or two later. Eventually, my little girl knocked it onto the floor and it went dead. The second PS2 I bought never had any problems. As a matter of fact, I still use it to this day.

Here is what I am thinking as far as getting a new system. If I somehow miraculously get in on the Amazon.com incredible good deal on the PS3 deal that I voted for, I will buy it. If not, I will go with the Xbox 360 (not the suck ass core system) from wherever I can find the best deal.

The Nintendo Wii won the first round of voting. No PS3 for you!

The Arcade pack XBOX 360 is a sweet deal right now. Two Games and the system for 349.99.

Fruit Ninja
11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I got mine back I don't know, maybe 3 weeks ago from my first "repair" and it's already freezing up some.
certain games you have to clear the cache menually for the freezing to stop. The way you do this is with the right and left buttons. When you first turn the game on and you have the default screen thats when you press and hold the buttons for 5 seconds. That helps with the freezing.

Valiant
11-21-2007, 09:10 PM

Your xbox will red ring.

I am still on my launch day 360... Of course if it does break I will just go buy another one and swap it out and then return it..

Ima bastard..

Valiant
11-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Your one of the very very lucky ones then. I just put it in my mind that its going to eventually go down, So when that time does come, i am not pissed about it.lol

see imo that is the thing about people who don't have something go wrong for them.. They do not complain therefor are not a voice in the crowd.. Has there ever been a percentage shown of 360's that have went bad from those sold.. And if so is it more then 10%???

Fruit Ninja
11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
see imo that is the thing about people who don't have something go wrong for them.. They do not complain therefor are not a voice in the crowd.. Has there ever been a percentage shown of 360's that have went bad from those sold.. And if so is it more then 10%???
Yeah, about 30 percent or so.

Fruit Ninja
11-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I am still on my launch day 360... Of course if it does break I will just go buy another one and swap it out and then return it..

Ima bastard..
hehe, no your not. Its MS's fault for making faulty hardware. There is a huge problem. If there wasnt MS would NOT have added the 3 yr RROD warranty recently.

360 is a great system dont get me wrong, they just kinda rushed it. I cant say i blame them. They couldnt let the PS3 win out this time. hehe