PDA

View Full Version : Sportsline ranks Head coaches...

Joe Seahawk
06-05-2001, 05:11 PM
The top three are all AFC West coaches..3 of the top eight overall.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,3969965,00.html

keg in kc
06-05-2001, 05:13 PM
No real surprise there, although I am honestly a little shocked that they ranked Vermeil so highly. That's about the most respect for anything associated with Kansas City I've seen all offseason (not that we deserve any respect after the last 3 years...).

I would have ranked Billick higher, I think, because he's abandoned his own philosophies and used what works, something Denny Green could learn from (in terms of defense...).

Otter
06-05-2001, 06:09 PM
Way to go DV!

New England sure took it up the hiney.

Baby Lee
06-05-2001, 07:31 PM
If there were one coach that you could pick to win one game, it would likely be Shanahan.

Unless that one game is against the Chiefs. Yeah baby!!

Sad how liitle smack we can continue to legitimately throw around. Game[s] against the Rams or Donkeys, that's about it.

BTW - I would put Jeff Fischer at the top of the list. I'd move Marty up there with Dungy [9-10ish]. And Haslett got screwed. Thought the point about Cowher being able to coach solid to good players with less luck getting the best out of bad players was a good observation. Loved seeing DV 9 ahead of Martz.

Does anyone else see a return to earth for those Rams this year? Upheaval on an already bad D. 3rd year on a 'new' offense [time their regular opponents started figuring 'em out].

milkman
06-05-2001, 08:32 PM
Now I want you know how you can rate head coaches that have yet to coach their first game, such as Gregg Williams, Herman Edwards, and Marty Mohinweig(sp).
This is all subjective BS. I wouldn't put Marty in my top 20 (big surprise there, huh?). I also wouldn't put Green up there. These guys have had the time to show that they are more than just good regular season coaches, but they've failed.

Baby Lee
06-05-2001, 08:38 PM
These guys have had the time to show that they are more than just good regular season coaches

Perhaps, but ya still gotta put them ahead of the poor regular season coaches. I see on the list of current HCs, 9 who have gone to the SB as HCs, and 5 who have won. That list includes Reeves, Seifert and Cowher. So your saying that there are also another 11 'losers' who are still better than Marty and Denny?

Whatever, dude.

milkman
06-05-2001, 08:51 PM
I admit, my initial reaction is a bit harsh, biased by my extrme dislike of Marty and Green. However the main point of my post is that the rating is all subjective, as there is just to little data to work with, not only with the 3 that I already mentioned, but with at least 7 others as well. Coaches with 3 years or less, taking over teams that were just pitiful when they started.

Otter
06-05-2001, 10:45 PM
I think Jeff Fisher deserves better but not the top of the list.

He needs to bite the bullet and give Steve McNair a one-way ticket out of Tennesee. I firmly believe McNair is a big reason the Titans have failed to win the Lombardi.

Rausch
06-05-2001, 10:54 PM
I think Andy Reid and Bill Cowher both need to be higher...

I also think Marty should be higher, and DV is just about right at 8, but that may be loyalty and not reality...:D

Brock
06-05-2001, 10:56 PM
Vermeil is a Super Bowl winner and should be ranked higher.

Rausch
06-05-2001, 11:05 PM
Dennis Green has failed consistently in the playoffs for years, yet somehow he gets painted in a better light than Marty...

Why?

KCJohnny
06-06-2001, 07:32 AM
Martz ahead of Mora????
Gruden ahead of Marty and Cowher???
Bullhockey.
Best coaches (not in order):
Shanny, Green, Cowher, Marty, Mora, Reeves, Vermiel.
OVER RATED:
Holmy, Gruden, Martz, Holmy, Gruden.
Just below the top tier:
Dungy, Coughlin, Fassel, Wannestadt, Fisher.

Best-with the-least award: Bill Cowher. Gets clobbered every winter/spring with FA and still claws his way to the top.

Worst with the most award: Holmy. C'mon. This guys is shooting to break .500 after he was supposed to make the Seahags the new 9ers.

Snake-bitten:
Marty
Mora
Green

Up and coming:
Billick, Gruden, Andy Reid

Time to go:
Reeves, Vermiel.

Biggest disappointments:
Siefert, Holmy, Riley.

KCJ
Expert on nothing