PDA

View Full Version : Weir: Chiefs disappoint fans who want to rebuild (and see Carl fired)

shaneo69
10-04-2007, 09:38 AM
WEIR: Wishful Thinking
Oct 04, 2007, 2:05:21 AM by Eileen Weir

This isn’t how it was supposed to go. Chiefs Head Coach Herm Edwards stated in his Tuesday press conference that a .500 record wasn’t what he anticipated at this point in the season. He’s not alone.

He thought “we’d be a little better than that.” Really? He’s the only one.

The Chiefs faithful, even the eternally optimistic, hesitated to imagine the team could be 2-2 after the first four games. Rumblings around town as the Chiefs came off of a winless preseason and faced three of their first four games in hostile stadiums indicated that the team had a less than likely chance of ending September with a break-even or winning record. Five weeks ago practically no one looked at the road trip to San Diego as a potential W.

The season opener was to be the decider for this year’s team. Heading to Houston to face a young team that has amassed only a 24-56 record in its five year history provided the unheralded Chiefs their ripest opportunity for victory. The popular sentiment among Chiefs fans and followers was that if the team were going to emerge from the first month of play with a win, this must be it. A defeat in Houston, fans surmised, would start the inevitable downward spiral of a lackluster team searching for its identity. Entering October, many predicted, Edwards would concede to a true commitment of rebuilding and Brodie Croyle would assume the starting quarterback position.

Sound familiar?

Disappointing to many Chiefs fans is the story hasn’t played out as scripted. Staring down the barrel of the NFC Champion Chicago Bears, the Minnesota Vikings, fortified with the acquisition of Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson, and the AFC West Champion San Diego Chargers, triumphs appeared as long-shots. While not exactly rooting for failure, Chiefs fans steeled themselves for defeat and disappointment.

Check that. There were some who secretly, an often explicitly, hoped for an all-out collapse of the 2007-2008 Chiefs campaign. There remains a population that is yearning for a miserable conclusion to this year’s outing.

What those fans and media correspondents are really pining for is a wholesale remaking of the Chiefs franchise. Those who describe the last decade of Kansas City football as an endurance test against mediocrity in which only minor adjustments have been made to ensure that the team keeps its head barely above water are looking for an all-out shake-up. History has proven to Kansas Citians that the Hunt family is a patient bunch. Nothing but a total debacle – and possibly one sustained over an extended period of time – is likely to inspire the ownership to make radical changes at the management level.

The Kansas Citians who are feeling a tinge of remorse that the team isn’t worse at this point in the season are in fact mourning the passing of their dream for a major transformation of the franchise. With the untimely passing of founder Lamar Hunt in 2006, speculation grew that the new owner, Clark Hunt, would impose new vision and sterner expectations upon the team and its leadership. Combining a young owner with a losing team was perceived as the perfect recipe for an all-inclusive overhaul. But it had to be really bad. No 7-9 record would provide the proper impetus for the scorched Earth approach wished for by the team’s stakeholders. Every victory inching the team to a .500 record has slashes another gash in the hearts of the revolutionists.

A small stifled cheer escaped when starting wide receiver Eddie Kennison went down on the first series of the season with a hamstring injury. Missed field goals were silently applauded. A fumble here, a missed tackle there, it was all working out just as predicted. The anti-fans smugly settled in for a season’s worth of misery.

Then the wins came. Grudgingly. Well, you ought to win your home opener, we said. Labeled by Chiefs “fans” as a NFC North power, the Vikings failed to live up to the hype churned up in their favor here at home. San Diego, an early-on favorite for the Lombardi Trophy, is struggling through an inexplicable bout of inefficiency and inconsistency. The Chiefs were real lucky to catch the team on its downswing.

Keith Olbermann, in his half-time commentary on Monday night’s Giants vs. Eagles game, named the Charger’s loss the most humiliating of the weekend, crowning Norv Turner and A.J. Smith the NFL’s worst people of the week. “The Chiefs?!” Olbermann intoned. How could anyone lose to the Chiefs?! We should be insulted. But we’re not.

We agree. We stink. We’re no good. We wish we were worse. Don’t believe the record! It’s an illusion! Don’t keep telling us we’re tied for first place in the division! Don’t remind us that we have more wins than NFC favorite Philadelphia! Stop repeating to us that we have the same record as “good teams” like Baltimore and Cleveland! We don’t want to hear it.

Cheer up, Chiefs fans. The year is young and there are still plenty of games left to lose. You may still get your wish by Christmas.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/10/04/weir_wishful_thinking/

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Dont have time to read it all, but this guy reads the planet for SURE. maybe even posts here.

chagrin
10-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I am sure this has been brought up before, but Bill Parcells (the real one that is) would make a terrific GM for any team, may not be able to reach the players like he once did (although I am no expert obviously) but he's always been able to get the right "groceries" - he's an excellent eye for talent.

Olbermann however, has no eye for talent and is as bad of a Sports guy as he is a political talking head.

MahiMike
10-04-2007, 09:40 AM
This week decides everything. If they beat a good team in the Jags, you've got to hold out hope for this season. If not, then cheer for 2-14.

cdcox
10-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Good tounge in cheek article.

I kind of keep a foot in both camps. I want the Chiefs to do well, but I'm unhappy with the direction the franchise is going. Right now I see wins as an indication of treading water, not as in indication of improvement.

Archie Bunker
10-04-2007, 09:57 AM
One of her better efforts.

Rausch
10-04-2007, 10:05 AM
This week decides everything. .

Uh, no, It doesn't.

If they beat a good team in the Jags, you've got to hold out hope for this season. If not, then cheer for 2-14.

Why? Why the **** would we wish for 2-14? What moron wants his team to lose?

You don't have to lose to get better. In fact, losing HURTS your team. Pollard and Page were not drafted in a 2-14 season. Gonzales and Shields were not added in 2-14 years. We didn't sign Donnie Edwards or Priest Holmes in 2-14 offseasons.

And now that we FINALLY have a HC who can scout talent in the draft we want to can him and the GM who lets him draft who he wants?...

1ChiefsDan
10-04-2007, 10:05 AM
This week decides everything. If they beat a good team in the Jags, you've got to hold out hope for this season. If not, then cheer for 2-14.ROFLROFL Now we're down to a 1 game season. I thought there were still 16 in the regular season to decide everything.

Sure-Oz
10-04-2007, 10:10 AM
This week decides everything. If they beat a good team in the Jags, you've got to hold out hope for this season. If not, then cheer for 2-14.
Yeah cause 3 losses=season over, wtf

StcChief
10-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Dont have time to read it all, but this guy reads the planet for SURE. maybe even posts here.

guy... Ellen Wier is columnist for KC Star....

boogblaster
10-04-2007, 10:13 AM
If you look at the team is a whole, its not that bad talent wise..Chiefs just need to keep playing the hard-nose D and keep opening the O up every week .......

BigRedChief
10-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Wasn't she a former publist/marketing person for the Chiefs?

teedubya
10-04-2007, 10:29 AM

Yeah, I know lots of guys named Eileen.

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 10:39 AM
oops

Katie
10-04-2007, 10:39 AM
"A small stifled cheer escaped when starting wide receiver Eddie Kennison went down on the first series of the season with a hamstring injury."

Is she kidding? Who on this Planet would cheer for losing our #1 wide receiver? I understand she's representing the opinions of some Chiefs fans, but personally, the article pisses me off.

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Uh, no, It doesn't.

You don't have to lose to get better. In fact, losing HURTS your team. Pollard and Page were not drafted in a 2-14 season. Gonzales and Shields were not added in 2-14 years. We didn't sign Donnie Edwards or Priest Holmes in 2-14 offseasons.

And now that we FINALLY have a HC who can scout talent in the draft we want to can him and the GM who lets him draft who he wants?...
Sadly, Rausch.......These people do exist.

StcChief
10-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Wasn't she a former publist/marketing person for the Chiefs?
Yeah seems like it from last time at thread started whining about long winded Weir....

google to the rescue uncovering her career history.

Chief Chief
10-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks to all who rated her story a "1"...

MahiMike
10-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Uh, no, It doesn't.

Sooo, guess you didn't even read the article then. What a maroon.

MahiMike
10-04-2007, 12:42 PM
ROFLROFL Now we're down to a 1 game season. I thought there were still 16 in the regular season to decide everything.

Yes, it's a long season. My point is that this team is the benchmark for the Chiefs. Are they pretenders or contenders? If they lose to the Jags at home, they're the pretenders I thought they were. Still say they haven't beaten anybody yet.

ChiefsGirl
10-04-2007, 12:43 PM
I thought the Chiefs would be 2-2 at this point. But I thought it would be with wins over Houston and Minnesota, not San Diego.

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, it's a long season. My point is that this team is the benchmark for the Chiefs. Are they pretenders or contenders? If they lose to the Jags at home, they're the pretenders I thought they were. Still say they haven't beaten anybody yet.
You will say that next week too.

Brock
10-04-2007, 12:46 PM

Who has Jacksonville beaten again? And LOL at Jacksonville being a "benchmark" team. They've been a mediocre franchise from day one.

ChiefsGirl
10-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't think a win over the Jags at home makes us contenders. I think the Chiefs "are what we thought they were" a .500 club give or take a win. Just nobody thought that would be good enough to possibly win the AFCW until recently.

R&GHomer
10-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Uh, no, It doesn't.

:banghead: No shit! The best draft position the Chiefs have in recent memory and they take Sims, what a F'N waist.

StcChief
10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I thought the Chiefs would be 2-2 at this point. But I thought it would be with wins over Houston and Minnesota, not San Diego.
Alot of us in that camp.... but the road Division W is much sweeter.

Let's roll these next two "contenders" at home, beat Chokeland in black hole before bye week.

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Who has Jacksonville beaten again? And LOL at Jacksonville being a "benchmark" team. They've been a mediocre franchise from day one.
And thats exactly what will be said next week.

ChiefsGirl
10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Alot of us in that camp.... but the road Division W is much sweeter.

I agree. I could almost be happy with a 6-10 season every year if those six wins were against the Raiders, Broncos and Chargers.

*note - I said "almost".

Dr. Van Halen
10-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Mediocre? I don't consider a team that contends for the playoffs every year to be mediocre. I consider that good. The Jaguars have not been great, but good.

But that's good anti-Chiefs posturing in case we win...

88TG88
10-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Sadly, Rausch.......These people do exist.
Mecca

Rausch
10-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Sooo, guess you didn't even read the article then. What a maroon.

No, I read it.

It repeats the fan perspective that a team must suck and fire everyone to become a champion.

That's bull$#it. It's bull$#it and it's ****ing moronic.

You hire a HC/GM you tell them to take what's there, improve it, build it into a winner. If you can't do that you replace them.

2-14 isn't a requirement. If they don't get it done get them out. You don't have to lose to fail, and you don't have to fail to become a champion. Pittsburgh went over a decade visiting the playoffs almost every single year. IIRC they went to 4 AFC championchip games and two super bowls. THEY NEVER LOST MORE THAN 10 games.

But they had good coaching, talent evaluation, and drafting. Those are the three things you need to win.

You don't need to suck. Sucking only means you add one more thing to your to-do list: learning how to win with new players.

The article is about a specific type of fan who's loud without any real clue. They know better than the HC/GM. THEY know how to build a champion.

It's arrogant, ignorant, and a disgrace to the rest of us. The being ironic doesn't make me able to stomach the type of fan he's speaking of any more than before reading it.

Brock
10-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Mediocre? I don't consider a team that contends for the playoffs every year to be mediocre. I consider that good. The Jaguars have not been great, but good.

The Chiefs "contend" for the playoffs every year too. And the Chiefs are a mediocre franchise. What holds true for this team holds true for them too.

Rausch
10-04-2007, 01:03 PM
:banghead: No shit! The best draft position the Chiefs have in recent memory and they take Sims, what a F'N waist.

That problem seems to be over. We've done a wonderful job in the draft and free agency the last two years.

Now, what Herm has done with that talent on the field... :harumph:

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 01:04 PM
No, I read it.

It repeats the fan perspective that a team must suck and fire everyone to become a champion.

You hire a HC/GM you tell them to take what's there, improve it, build it into a winner. If you can't do that you replace them.

2-14 isn't a requirement. If they don't get it done get them out. You don't have to lose to fail, and you don't have to fail to become a champion. Pittsburgh went over a decade visiting the playoffs almost every single year. IIRC they went to 4 AFC championchip games and two super bowls. THEY NEVER LOST MORE THAN 10 games.

But they had good coaching, talent evaluation, and drafting. Those are the three things you need to win.

You don't need to suck. Sucking only means you add one more thing to your to-do list: learning how to win with new players.

The article is about a specific type of fan who's loud without any real clue. They know better than the HC/GM. THEY know how to build a champion.

It's arrogant, ignorant, and a disgrace to the rest of us. The being ironic doesn't make me able to stomach the type of fan he's speaking of any more than before reading it.
And THIS people is the TRUTH. Winning 4 games will not get CP fired either if he does not wish to go. HERM will be his scapegoat.

ChiefsGirl
10-04-2007, 01:05 PM

Contending for the playoffs every year is mediocre. Contending for the Super Bowl every year is good.

MahiMike
10-04-2007, 01:07 PM
No, I read it.

Dude, you're talking about other teams - NOT the KC Chiefs. Under the King Carl empire, he's played a shell game for 15 years. Winning just enough to keep folks like you happy. Weir was making the same point any intelligent fan would surmise; until something really bad happens, the same 'ol, same 'ol will continue to happen. Herm Edwards took the #1 offense the prior 4 yrs and imploded it in his 1st game. Carl Peterson is responsible for this hire. They both need to hit the road and it won't happen if they go 7-9 again. Maybe you're ok with this mediocrity, but I'm sick of it.

Extra Point
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
I read it with an open mind, based on the Chiefs being in year 18 of the 5 year plan.

Rausch
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
And THIS people is the TRUTH. Winning 4 games will not get CP fired either if he does not wish to go. HERM will be his scapegoat.

I don't think any performance on the field would get CP fired. He won't be. He might retire, like Marty, but he won't be canned.

The Hunts are convinced he's a good GM and all the crying and sports radio in the world isn't going to tell them any different...

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Dude, you're talking about other teams - NOT the KC Chiefs. Under the King Carl empire, he's played a shell game for 15 years. Winning just enough to keep folks like you happy. Weir was making the same point any intelligent fan would surmise; until something really bad happens, the same 'ol, same 'ol will continue to happen. Herm Edwards took the #1 offense the prior 4 yrs and imploded it in his 1st game. Carl Peterson is responsible for this hire. They both need to hit the road and it won't happen if they go 7-9 again. Maybe you're ok with this mediocrity, but I'm sick of it.
Are you talking about that Offense without ROAF, or Al calling plays,and a concussed starting QB. I dont give a damn who the head coach is, without that O LINE, the offense was never going to be the same. Weigmann and Shields on the back nine, all point to the O falling back to earth.

HemiEd
10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
"A small stifled cheer escaped when starting wide receiver Eddie Kennison went down on the first series of the season with a hamstring injury."

Is she kidding? Who on this Planet would cheer for losing our #1 wide receiver? I understand she's representing the opinions of some Chiefs fans, but personally, the article pisses me off.

Me too. Scorp only wants Huard to get hurt, never heard him say anything about EK.

Rausch
10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Dude, you're talking about other teams - NOT the KC Chiefs. Under the King Carl empire, he's played a shell game for 15 years. Winning just enough to keep folks like you happy..

I don't disagree with that. I wouldn't mind a new GM once the Herm experiment is over (I'd recomend one year after this one.) I'm just saying that going 2-14 isn't going to change a thing. It won't get carl fired. It won't. It will give us a good draft pick. Now, Herm has done a great job in the draft but if anyone is canned for a 2-14 record it's going to be Herm, not Carl.

Hate Carl, I don't care. But don't pretend that losing record will bring anything other than a losing season with it. It won't mean change any higher up than the HC.

Weir was making the same point any intelligent fan would surmise; until something really bad happens, the same 'ol, same 'ol will continue to happen. Herm Edwards took the #1 offense the prior 4 yrs and imploded it in his 1st game. Carl Peterson is responsible for this hire. They both need to hit the road and it won't happen if they go 7-9 again. Maybe you're ok with this mediocrity, but I'm sick of it.

Again, a bad season will not bring change. Not the change you want. And I hate to ruin your day but I'd shat in my hat if the Hunts hired anyone other than Thumb, or anyone outside the current management circle when Carl is done.

I'm holding out hope that Peterson retires when Herm's contract is up and we can talk Cowher into a HC/GM hire, but that's mostly pie in the sky...

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't disagree with that. I wouldn't mind a new GM once the Herm experiment is over (I'd recomend one year after this one.) I'm just saying that going 2-14 isn't going to change a thing. It won't get carl fired. It won't. It will give us a good draft pick. Now, Herm has done a great job in the draft but if anyone is canned for a 2-14 record it's going to be Herm, not Carl.

Hate Carl, I don't care. But don't pretend that losing record will bring anything other than a losing season with it. It won't mean change any higher up than the HC.

Again, a bad season will not bring change. Not the change you want. And I hate to ruin your day but I'd shat in my hat if the Hunts hired anyone other than Thumb, or anyone outside the current management circle when Carl is done.

I'm holding out hope that Peterson retires when Herm's contract is up and we can talk Cowher into a HC/GM hire, but that's mostly pie in the sky...
That about sums it up.

Rausch
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Again, I'm not dogging the writer but the type of fan being described in the article.

With uncanny accuracy...

Extra Point
10-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Same hope, same pie: minced meat.

HemiEd
10-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Any question that Eileen Weir reads the Planet, should be negated. Actually, it is the best article of her's that I have been able to endure.

I was anticipating some diversion into a very remote, uninteresting subject, but it didn't happen. Go Eileen!

irishjayhawk
10-04-2007, 01:38 PM

I don't think many people cheered for his injury. I will say that, in hindsight, it helped us discover a talent. In that way, and that way alone, it is (was) a good thing.

At the time, however, it was not. Probably a major reason we lost the Texan's game (among many others)

Calcountry
10-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Same hope, same pie: minced meat.Wait, I'm confused. I thought KCJohnny was the guy with the pie? :shrug:

GoHuge
10-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Are you talking about that Offense without ROAF, or Al calling plays,and a concussed starting QB. I dont give a damn who the head coach is, without that O LINE, the offense was never going to be the same. Weigmann and Shields on the back nine, all point to the O falling back to earth.Herm just needs more weapons. Or more numbers to get the ball to. Gotta get the ball to 27, 82, and 88!!! I bet the guys who don't get their number called feel really sad :(

beach tribe
10-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Herm just needs more weapons. Or more numbers to get the ball to. Gotta get the ball to 27, 82, and 88!!! I bet the guys who don't get their number called feel really sad :(
Hes got some weapons. He needs a BIG strong center, and a right tackle.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-04-2007, 02:17 PM
I am sure this has been brought up before, but Bill Parcells (the real one that is) would make a terrific GM for any team, may not be able to reach the players like he once did (although I am no expert obviously) but he's always been able to get the right "groceries" - he's an excellent eye for talent.

Olbermann however, has no eye for talent and is as bad of a Sports guy as he is a political talking head.

Like when he passed up Stephen Jackson for Julius Jones :p

donkhater
10-04-2007, 02:26 PM
The column is somewhat correct, but it misses the point.

SOME fans wants to see a total collapse of a season, not because we see a high draft choice as being the answer to our prayers, but because that is seemingly what it will take to break whatever spell Carl Peterson has over the Hunt family. What else could?

Peterson's way has been tried for 17 seasons with 1 AFC Championship appearance. KC has something like the second or third longest streak of not winning a playoff game in the entire NFL. WAKE THE HELL UP!!! TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!

How about starting off by developing a young QB? What would have happened if Kennison hadn't gotten hurt in Houston? Would Bowe be as much of a factor as he has been in these first few games? I doubt it.

It has come to this. It has come to rooting for injury to the starting QB (who by any means is a nice, hardworking guy) because we KNOW Peterson (yes, Peterson) will never give Croyle a shot if he has a stable experienced veteran on the roster.

All you Chief fans take a good hard look at this season. It is CP's type of year. Low expectations, overachieve to show what a good job he did, string along the sheep.

HemiEd
10-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Like when he passed up Stephen Jackson for Julius Jones :p

And besides, I think all of his recycled players, like Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson are too old to recycle anymore.

I would take Marty for GM.

tooge
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
No, I read it.

what he said

Otter
10-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Someone explain to me how the people who say they know 2-10 won't change the GM are any smarter than the people who say they think 2-10 might.

BIG_DADDY
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
That's accurate.

Easy 6
10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm just glad that she wrote something about FOOTBALL & not how the Euro, free market capitalism & NAFTA have affected Chiefs ticket prices.

Fairplay
10-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm just glad that she wrote something about FOOTBALL & not how the Euro, free market capitalism & NAFTA have affected Chiefs ticket prices.

So how is your new neighborhood going for you and all that SF?

Easy 6
10-04-2007, 05:10 PM
So how is your new neighborhood going for you and all that SF?

I havent been this happy in such a long time, great apt., great job with the $$$ coming in steady, i'm quickly accruing the toys i covet, the kids love it here when they come over....its all good.

Other than my Dad passing in June, its one of the best years of my life.

Thank you very much for asking man & i hope all is going well for you too bro.

:toast:

Fairplay
10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I havent been this happy in such a long time, great apt., great job with the $$$ coming in steady, i'm quickly accruing the toys i covet, the kids love it here when they come over....its all good.

Other than my Dad passing in June, its one of the best years of my life.

Thank you very much for asking man & i hope all is going well for you too bro.

:toast:

No prob. I see you on here but really never say word up. Thats a guys personality for you.

Good things are going good for you. I can't complain either. Everything is going well for me. The gf and kid are the best. My work is more then steady. And this place provides a laugh here and there. Life is good.

Easy 6
10-04-2007, 05:42 PM
No prob. I see you on here but really never say word up. Thats a guys personality for you.

Good things are going good for you. I can't complain either. Everything is going well for me. The gf and kid are the best. My work is more then steady. And this place provides a laugh here and there. Life is good.

Glad to hear it dude.

The "Good" is out there, ya just have to get enough of it to keep the "Bad" from dragging ya down.

Take care!!!

underEJ
10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't think many people cheered for his injury. I will say that, in hindsight, it helped us discover a talent. In that way, and that way alone, it is (was) a good thing.

At the time, however, it was not. Probably a major reason we lost the Texan's game (among many others)

I think we were actually hoping that the benching of Parker would give us a chance to see what Bowe had to offer opposite of Kennison.

LOCOChief
10-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Just keep armchair GMing your Jags team. Edwards didn't cause that offense to emplode, you get a taste of what I"m talkin about this weekend. didn't you say that you would be pissed if the Jags lose because you'de never hear the end of it?

KC Jones
10-04-2007, 08:14 PM
http://examiner.net/images/mugs/mug_eileenweir.jpg

Dr.Fine
10-04-2007, 08:16 PM
That about sums it up.

yup!

--just a hunch, but Marty's on the rocking chair in Lake Lure, N.C., close enough to Charlotte for Jerry Richardson to drive up for lunch. Cowher's happy in Raleigh for now. Fox is on the hot seat. Marty takes the wheel for two years then hands off to his former assistant? Dunno, but stranger things have happened.