PDA

View Full Version : John Tait

Warrior5
06-05-2001, 09:00 PM
What a class act. Since I won't be able to go to River Falls, this was the next best thing.
He just spent about two hours with my son's Boy Scout Troop at summer camp in Bonner Springs.
When he first showed up, we were in the mess hall eating dinner, and the Scout Masters directed him toward me saying "This guy is THE Chiefs die hard around here; he'd love to chat with you. I turned around to look at this mountain of a man, and he introduced himself. After I nearly choked to death on a roll, I asked him a few questions about the O-line. He said they were a solid unit, and that Wiegman is a much faster center than Grunny.

He then addressed the boys. Major points he brought up with the boys during his talk:

- Being responsible and trustworthy.
- Make a positive impact on the future of this country.
- Realize that decisions have consequences.
- Do your absolute best in whatever you do.
- Stated that he was taking over Grunhard's charity organization for Downs Syndrome kids, and was thinking of starting a John Tait foundation that might employ Boy Scouts.

One kid asked him, "Are the Chiefs going to suck this year?"

Tait: "Thanks for giving me the opportunity to answer that. Let me tell you something: a lot of people outside the organization say we're just rebuilding. Well, let them just keep thinking that. We have a new head coach in Dick Vermiel, and a new coaching staff. They're really doing some great things, and the team is pumped. We're going to win."

He stuck around afterwards and signed autographs for everyone, and then just hung around talking with everyone. He signed my son's Chiefs jacket and my Chiefs hat, then posed with the boys for pictures.

My son can still hardly speak, except to say that his new favorite Chief is John Tait (sorry Tony!).

Sorry for the lengthy post, but wanted to share it.

Nelson Muntz
06-05-2001, 10:12 PM
I'm glad that some athletes are really cool like this. It just seems that pro athletes are complete *sses because we only read about the jerks, and hardly ever hear about the good ones like John Tait. But i do think a majority of the Chiefs are decent human beings, and not the pompous jerks we hear about all the time.

oh and don't worry bout the long post, cuz there's not much else to read about this time of year.

Otter
06-05-2001, 10:33 PM
I know there isn't a whole lot you could say good about the Chiefs the last 3 years but one thing is for sure: they rid themselves of the Rison's, Vanover's, Bam Morris's and Carter's and brought in some quality people.

Tait
Gonzo
Green seems like a class act so far
Vermeil

Granted, this isn't a bunch of boy scouts overall, but its far from the thug convention of yester year.

DaWolf
06-05-2001, 11:47 PM
Sounds like Pompei agrees with Tait on Wiegmann:

Center -- Casey Wiegmann, Chiefs
This free agent from the Bears was one of the best offensive linemen in the league last year, even though he didn't become a starter until Olin Kreutz got hurt. Although he's lighter than the ideal center, he's athletic enough to reach-block, get to the linebackers and pull. In his fifth year, he has all the know-how he'll need.

BigMeatballDave
06-06-2001, 03:28 AM
This sounds great! I almost pulled a Vermeil.:(

Saggysack
06-06-2001, 04:00 AM
I always viewed J.Tait as a class guy off of the field, on the field I think he is 1 of the nastiest OT in the game.

Warrior5
06-06-2001, 05:45 AM
Guys like Tait are what I <B>want</B> pro-athletes to be: positive role-models who sincerely espouse integrity and commitment to the team and community.
To echo what Otter said, we don't read / hear enough about the good things players do. Sports media is usually rampant with Deion or Randy Moss stories that focus on "me and $".
T-Rich and Gonzo also do a lot for the community; not just because Carl Peterson encourages players to do it, but because they invest a lot of time and effort into it.
It was also refreshing to not see an agent hanging over Tait's shoulder coordinating "fees" for autographs like you usually see.

htismaqe
06-06-2001, 06:34 AM
Both Grunny and Wiegman have their strengths and weaknesses...

Wiegman may not be as big and strong, so as to provide the push up the gut for the "Martyball" running game, but we'll finally be able to run outside (with pull blocking) and he'll be better in pass protection...

Seems like I get more excited about the upcoming season every day...

keg in kc
06-06-2001, 09:50 AM
Great story, Warrior. I love to see players in a positive light doing things to help other people, especially kids.

BIG_DADDY
06-06-2001, 10:51 AM
Great post. I love having guys like this on our team. Sure beats the helll out of having a bunch of thugs like we have had in the past.

BIG DADDY

Better than having a little snitch like Vanover too.

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2001, 12:20 PM
Wiegmann sounds a lot like a young Stepnoski.

DaWolf
06-06-2001, 02:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see how we get this guy signed to an extension. Wonder if he still has the same agent...

KCWolfman
06-06-2001, 09:58 PM
A good OLine misses the glory that the rest of the team takes. I will miss Grunny sorely, but I believe Tait could take his place in my heart easily.

keg in kc
06-07-2001, 08:58 AM
I thought I'd posted this yesterday, but I don't see it...

DaWolf, Tait's signed through 2003 right now, so we don't have to worry about extending quite yet. Hopefully it will go smoothly when the time comes, because we need to hang on to our bookends.