PDA

View Full Version : So, what ADVERTISING message would get you to by a PS3?

TinyEvel
10-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I've read the gaming threads, and I'm really interested in your thoughts about what kind of ADVERTISING message Sony could say to move you off the dime and buy the PS3 console.

(please don't say "make it cheaper" or "Get better/more games" we know that. Those are operational issues. Please tell me about what advertsing (TV commercial, web, anything else) that would get you to buy in.

Mr Luzcious
10-04-2007, 11:10 PM
There are none.

Guru
10-04-2007, 11:17 PM
ABSOLUTELY NONE!

Psyko Tek
10-04-2007, 11:34 PM
FREE BLOW JOBS FOR LIFE

I dunno
2 controllers and free games that you acrually want to play

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Online games that people actually play....

A true "killer app" that is PS3 exclusive

7.1 multichannel analogue outputs so that people w/o HDMI 1.3 receivers can listen to true lossless 7.1 and not 5.1 PCM

:shrug:

TinyEvel
10-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Okay, after the first two responses, let me rephrase...

What features could they advertise, in what way, would get you to finaly man-up?

Guru
10-04-2007, 11:58 PM

What features could they advertise, in what way, would get you to finaly man-up?
You eliminated my top 2 reasons. Therefore my previous answer still applies. there is nothing they can do to entice me to buy at that price.

DaFace
10-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Trying to get the Planet to do your dirty work, are ya? :p

TinyEvel
10-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Trying to get the Planet to do your dirty work, are ya? :p

SHHHHH!

You got out of this! So stay out!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2007, 12:37 AM

For me, nothing. I'm a knowledgeable electronics consumer. I'm different than your run of the mill guy.

What do you have working for you?

Blu Ray and on-board HDMI w/ higher end systems.

How many people will you persuade with those features that aren't already early adopters? Not many.

You should focus on a less esoteric campaign than the original launch, but you need to be able to combat the aura that the Wii has as a value-based party system (look at their commercials), and the 360 has with a much deeper and more developed library. It seems like you're fighting a losing battle.

Guru
10-05-2007, 12:43 AM
OK Tiny, here is an idea that might have made me consider it.

Take out the damn BluRay. That was really not needed. It is a gaming system. I don't play movies in my gaming systems. They shot themselves in the foot with that move.

That alone would have put it on a level playing field with the 360. Might have even been slightly cheaper than the 360 too.

L.A. Chieffan
10-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Tiny I'm just a dumbass, but I would probably play on the brand name Sony.
With the average Joe Schmo out there Sony still has a little clout as far as brand name recognition. When PS1 and PS2 came out people were creaming their pants over the graphics and games and all that. Now they have to play catch up. However I would spin it as a been there, done that. Show a kind of evolution process from the PS1 though 2 to the PS3.

REMIND people of the awesome times they had with the other two Sony products and they might get an itch to get the new one.

Pants
10-05-2007, 05:50 AM
"Sorry we failed you as a company, please go buy a 360 instead. We will try harder next time around and hopefully won't be such an embarrassment to the gaming industry." - Sony

Guru
10-05-2007, 05:52 AM
"Sorry we failed you as a company, please go buy a 360 instead. We will try harder next time around and hopefully won't be such an embarrassment to the gaming industry." - Sony
Going for the "feel sorry for us" angle huh? :)

the Talking Can
10-05-2007, 09:20 AM
my noob-adman take is this:

the Wii ad campaign was brilliant, and simple...it showed people playing the games and having fun, it showed the social interaction that the game console could create...the message was clear: play this with friends and you will have fun with your friends

the PS3 campaign was one of the worst ever: a game console floating in an empty, sterile room...no view of the games or people using it, just a game console with abstract forms and crows and whatever coming out of the console like a bad acid trip....the message was: ???? who the **** knows?....the message was not "play this and you will have fun"...

i watched a Wii commercial and I thought, 'that looks like fun'...I watched a ps3 commercial and thought, "what the fug is that thing?"

pikesome
10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Cheaper, I need it to be cheaper. And that rumor about a low-end version with limited PS2 compatibility had better be BS.

meStevo
10-05-2007, 10:01 AM
the PS3 campaign was one of the worst ever: a game console floating in an empty, sterile room...no view of the games or people using it, just a game console with abstract forms and crows and whatever coming out of the console like a bad acid trip....the message was: ???? who the **** knows?....the message was not "play this and you will have fun"...

And what's even worse, they did this during ads for games instead of letting the game sell itself. When you're trying to promote a game and it isn't good enough on it's own merits that you have to pollute the ad with a black box just sitting there, then your marketing is crap.

Despite your criteria, I and most others in this thread are not interested in a PS3 until it is in the $300 range and has some killer apps.

Home is turning into Sims online, less about achievements and community and more about playing dress up and walking around in the interactive world. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and for them to say 'well there is an arcade, and you can share movies, and all this cool stuff, so we went ahead and attached a price to it...'

icepick64
10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, they had a lot of success with PS2, so maybe try and depict a way to convert all those ps2 owner into ps3 owners. Also, the ps3 is technically superior to the 360 and wii, but is lacking the 'fun' factor so that has to get into consideration.

But the features such as blue ray (not a big deal to me), wifi (big deal), bigger hard drive, free psn, all that is what I think are the positives.

Valiant
10-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, they had a lot of success with PS2, so maybe try and depict a way to convert all those ps2 owner into ps3 owners. Also, the ps3 is technically superior to the 360 and wii, but is lacking the 'fun' factor so that has to get into consideration.

But the features such as blue ray (not a big deal to me), wifi (big deal), bigger hard drive, free psn, all that is what I think are the positives.

The PS2 had tons of good games, the PS3 has jackshit.. IT would actually make it worse, "hey guys remember when the PS2 was awesome and we had tons of great games for you to play!!! Well the PS3 might be that in one or two more years so buy now!!!"

As for the technically superior to the 360, go read some third party sites like gamespot or ign.. The 360 wins the majority of every rating on superiority because Sony screwed the pooch by bottlenecking the console..

JBucc
10-05-2007, 11:11 AM
"PS3 now $300"

Or less. Even then I probably wouldn't buy it.

Jenson71
10-05-2007, 01:07 PM
"Cheaper than a X-Box 360...when you share it with someone."

keg in kc
10-05-2007, 01:28 PM
"Mass Effect, now on PS3 for 50 cents".

That's about it.

DaFace
10-05-2007, 07:09 PM
SHHHHH!

You got out of this! So stay out!

Got out? If you're referring to my quitting, I ended up staying around, so I'm still an employee of Rain Man, Inc.

On that note, I know of a quality market research firm who might be able to assist you with answering this question. :D

Fruit Ninja
10-05-2007, 07:56 PM
299 and some games that i would actually want to play.

Rain Man
10-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Got out? If you're referring to my quitting, I ended up staying around, so I'm still an employee of Rain Man, Inc.

On that note, I know of a quality market research firm who might be able to assist you with answering this question. :D

Rep.

Come on, people. Come over here and rep this man.

Rain Man
10-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Scene: Dinner table. Man is sitting there with his wife, 1.6 children, and two nubile young women.

Wife: So how are you two enjoying your time in America on the Swedish and Japanese Exchange programs?

Michiko: Very much, ma'am.

Inga: We're really happy.

Wife: Great!

Inga (to husband): Sir, may we play with your PS3 tonight?

Husband: Sure.

Fast-forward five hours. Husband and wife are in bed. Wife is asleep, husband is reading, and he keeps hearing noises. He gets up in his pajamas, goes to the top of the stairs, and looks through the stair rails.

Camera switches to view from inside TV. Viewer sees the two exchange students up close, husband in the background watching.

Inga: Let's play "Naked Pillow Fight 3".

Michiko: Ohhhhh, I love that one.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Nintendo's ad campaigns and success with the Wii and the DS have been brilliant.

They have been great at luring traditional non-gamers or non hardcore gamers to their platforms. My wife, who is about as far away from a gamer as you could ever get, loves the Nintendo DS.

KcMizzou
10-05-2007, 08:37 PM
299 and some games that i would actually want to play.What, "Lair" doesn't do it for ya?

meStevo
10-06-2007, 04:27 AM

Well it is a lot less fun for all those having fun on a PS2 now that the new bundle completely eliminates backward compatability.

Now all they are riding on is brand loyalty, because it has a long way to go to match or even beat offering that the 360 is dishing out right now.

Sony has been quoted saying that now that they expect to pass 65 games during this holiday season, they need to focus their money and efforts toward this generation or some BS.

Bob Dole
10-06-2007, 05:25 AM
Show the social interaction that the game console could create...with hot chicks. Make the message clear: buy this game console and maybe you'll finally get laid.

Guru
10-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Show the social interaction that the game console could create...with hot chicks. Make the message clear: buy this game console and maybe you'll finally get laid.
And have freakish babies with red eyes that will watch their new toy float.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gqkNPcUMffU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gqkNPcUMffU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Reaper16
10-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Games. I know you said not to say that, but if you have the games then gamers will come to your console to play them. The PS3 simply needs games worth playing.

Bob Dole
10-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Games. I know you said not to say that, but if you have the games then gamers will come to your console to play them. The PS3 simply needs games worth playing.

Like games that teach you how to move out of your mom's basement or get laid.

"Leisure Suit Larry Returns" has a nice ring to it.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-07-2007, 07:07 PM
you can't take out the Blu-Ray....the games are Blu-Ray discs.

Guru
10-07-2007, 08:33 PM
you can't take out the Blu-Ray....the games are Blu-Ray discs.

This is a hypothetical thread. Take out the blu-ray and I would consider it.

That being said, I would think if they didn't have blu-ray in it, they wouldn't be putting the games on blu-ray discs. :rolleyes:

Valiant
10-07-2007, 09:13 PM
This is a hypothetical thread. Take out the blu-ray and I would consider it.

That being said, I would think if they didn't have blu-ray in it, they wouldn't be putting the games on blu-ray discs. :rolleyes:

How much space do the games take up?? They probably could put them on dvd..

mikeyis4dcats.
10-07-2007, 10:22 PM

a quick google search indicates some are at least 22GB.

Valiant
10-07-2007, 10:47 PM

What was your search string?? All I came up with was games COULD BE up to 22gigs..

I just want to see if their is fluff extras or is all the space actually for the game..

Thig Lyfe
10-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Free corndogs with each PS3 game.

TinyEvel
10-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Well, from that I've heard, the amount of memory used to render an entire character in KillZone 1 is now used to just render the face of a Killzone 2 character.

Guru
10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
So they are putting more cut scenes in the games huh?

Fruit Ninja
10-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Gaming companies will not use 22 gigs for a game. It costs to much money and to much time to fill up all the space. Most games dont even hit 9gigs.

mcan
10-11-2007, 03:41 AM
First off... I want your job, or something.

I've was a video game kid growing up with Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and then I traded up for a Playstation about a year after they came out. Playstation got me hooked hard and I camped out overnight for a PS2 on release. It was also my first DVD player. Now I'm a movie junkie and I was itching to get my hands on a BluRay player. I'd pretty much stopped playing all video games (except Madden) but I couldn't resist...

I bought my PS3 a couple months ago and I'm back into video games again. I have it hooked up via HDMI to my new 40" Sony Bravia. It's so beautiful it takes my breath away. It's gotten me back into video games. I just bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma a couple days ago and it's the second best adventure game I've ever played next to Grand Theft Auto. I rented Tiger Woods and played it constantly for a week and returned it several days late because I was an addict. I then rented Resistance: Fall of Man and I crept my way through it having a pretty good time, but then my buddy Ben came over and played it (much more aggressively) and I watched him play it for a couple hours. Watching him play that game was better than most movies I see.

The PS3 is a phenomonal system and it's worth it to me for the Blu-Ray player alone. The fact that it plays games is just cake... And very good cake. I can't wait for Grand Theft Auto IV. Holy crap that's gonna be amazing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I have about four different commercial ideas that are vastly superior to anything I've seen you guys come out with... Want to give me a job?

mcan
10-16-2007, 04:48 AM
OK, so you didn't bite on the job thing... I'll just send out a primer.

First: I think that the idea that the PS3 and the Wii are in direct competition is mostly false. Their appeal is vastly different, and the mags, the internet, and the two systems have perpetuated this either/or fallicy... If you want to sell more units you have to remind people that they want MORE than just a Wii. You also have to market to a crowd that buys video games for themselves, not for the kids. The "Smart" advertising is just adding fuel to the fire that you guys are trying to sell the system based on potential rather than on how good it is right now.

I have a short scene in my head where it's Christmas morning and the kids are jumping on the bed. They're obnoxious, hyper... But admittedly cute. They get their parents up and head downstairs where the parents sip their coffee and watch the kids open up a brand new Wii. They are elated and their cute little faces smile and say thank you thank you thank you, it's exactly what I wanted. Cut to later, the kids are having a blast and yelling while they play their admittedly cute game and jump around being obnoxious. Screams fade out as we pan up through the floorboards (think David Fincher style direction in Panic Room). We come up through the floor to reveal Dad, still sipping coffee in his bathrobe and playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3 in his own room. "You going to get ready" we hear Mom say in the background as we zoom in on the TV to reveal the game. It's beautiful and complex. We see Ryu fighting some crazy battle and getting brutally killed.

Show title

SONY
"We concede cute..."

Something like that. You get to hammer out a comparison between the two systems that is for all intents and purposes TRUE. You also send a giant middle finger to an industry that is convinced that you are ignoring the Wii. You also show off one of the best games on your console. You also portray the PS3 as a platform for older gamers. Lastly, you leave the audience with a feeling of "holy shit" that looked awesome.

KCFalcon59
10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
$199 and I am all over it. So in 5 years I might have one.

Valiant
10-16-2007, 09:07 PM
OK, so you didn't bite on the job thing... I'll just send out a primer.

First: I think that the idea that the PS3 and the Wii are in direct competition is mostly false. Their appeal is vastly different, and the mags, the internet, and the two systems have perpetuated this either/or fallicy... If you want to sell more units you have to remind people that they want MORE than just a Wii. You also have to market to a crowd that buys video games for themselves, not for the kids. The "Smart" advertising is just adding fuel to the fire that you guys are trying to sell the system based on potential rather than on how good it is right now.

I have a short scene in my head where it's Christmas morning and the kids are jumping on the bed. They're obnoxious, hyper... But admittedly cute. They get their parents up and head downstairs where the parents sip their coffee and watch the kids open up a brand new Wii. They are elated and their cute little faces smile and say thank you thank you thank you, it's exactly what I wanted. Cut to later, the kids are having a blast and yelling while they play their admittedly cute game and jump around being obnoxious. Screams fade out as we pan up through the floorboards (think David Fincher style direction in Panic Room). We come up through the floor to reveal Dad, still sipping coffee in his bathrobe and playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3 in his own room. "You going to get ready" we hear Mom say in the background as we zoom in on the TV to reveal the game. It's beautiful and complex. We see Ryu fighting some crazy battle and getting brutally killed.

Show title

SONY
"We concede cute..."

Something like that. You get to hammer out a comparison between the two systems that is for all intents and purposes TRUE. You also send a giant middle finger to an industry that is convinced that you are ignoring the Wii. You also show off one of the best games on your console. You also portray the PS3 as a platform for older gamers. Lastly, you leave the audience with a feeling of "holy shit" that looked awesome.

I don't think he is actually looking to make commercials. As for the Wii, most gaming sites I see do not really compare it to the Wii but the 360..

From the gaming websites analysis's..

The Wii is strictly gaming/group parties or tweens..

The 360/ps3 are entertainment systems for the adults..

The ps3 is basically up against the 360 and basically reverse from the xbox/ps2 generation on games/specs..

It will take a lot of great 1st/3rd party games just to catch up to the 360 at this point.. Sony better just do what they can to break even and look towards the next console and not **** it up at launch, if not they are going the way of Sega and you can play those games on Xbox and Nintendo..

Valiant
10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Back to the original question..

Same price as 360
Needs more games
Needs better games
Sony needs to make it easier to code for
Better online game system.. They need to copy Live code by code and improve if they can..

Do that and then people will start buying them..

TinyEvel
10-18-2007, 12:17 AM
On November 3, they will release a 40G version for $399.

I hear they will be releasing like 20 exclusive titles in '08.

Guru
10-18-2007, 12:27 AM

they are getting closer. What have they stripped out of this version though to obtain that price?

Kraus
10-18-2007, 12:53 AM
2 USB ports and backwards compatibility.

Kraus
10-18-2007, 12:55 AM

Exclusive doesn't always mean good. Sony needs some more exclusive AAA titles than just MGS4 and Killzone 2, if those even turn out to be AAA titles.

TinyEvel
10-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Exclusive doesn't always mean good. Sony needs some more exclusive AAA titles than just MGS4 and Killzone 2, if those even turn out to be AAA titles.

GranTourismo5 LittleBig Planet, Drake's Treasure...

TinyEvel
10-18-2007, 01:11 AM
BTW,why are you anti-EA? I work one block from their "campus"

mcan
10-18-2007, 07:33 AM

My problem with EA is that it seems like they go out of their way to make Madden WORSE every year. I have this notion that the suits all sit around and go

"Ok, our best selling game needs to be even better this year! Johnson! What do we do?"

"Well, I was thinking that, this year... Uhh... Every time you snap the ball in an online game you get... Cookie points..."

"That's GREAT! Write that down, cookie points... Needleman, what about you?"

"Oh, uhh... How about whenever you play in franchise mode, you get to unlock... sn.. Snakes... Sno... Snow. Snakes and Snow, on the field at halftime, or whenever. In the locker room..."

"Needleman, we need more people like you, coming up with these inovations. Everybody take a look at your new Vice President. Same time next week everybody."

(as they are leaving, whispers can be heard amongst the crowd)

"...That snakes in the locker room was my idea..."

Valiant
10-18-2007, 08:30 AM

90% of what they do sucks.. And most of the stuff that does not they had to buy like Valve and take credit for later on... I think the battlefield series is one of the few games that is decent that they did not really **** up..