PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burtons "Sweeney Todd" trailer...

Deberg_1990
10-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Typical Burton Goth stuff...

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/4369618/standardformat/

nychief
10-05-2007, 11:09 AM
ah sondheim!

HypnotizedMonkey
10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
everything tim burton makes looks so awesome.

SNR
10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
This is one of Sondheim's best musicals.

I'll be seeing it on the big screen for sure. Hopefully the movie version won't take anything away.

Fire Me Boy!
10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I have high hopes every time a Burton film comes out. And I'll see it in the theater, just like every other movie I've seen of his.

SNR
10-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't like who they got to cast Mrs. Lovett. Angela Lansbury was perfect on broadway... the old, cackly, vile kind of woman. This chick is too nice, even with all that black makeup on.

Stinger
10-05-2007, 11:22 AM
This is one of Sondheim's best musicals.

I'll be seeing it on the big screen for sure. Hopefully the movie version won't take anything away.

Me too. Loved seeing Sweeney Todd in the theater though, so I am not sure if this will hold up.

Jilly
10-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Can't wait to see this. I've never seen it on Broadway. But I hope it doesn't disappoint me. I saw Rent, the movie, first, and then the stage version and the movie just never seemed good enough after that point.

TinyEvel
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Ah, what a lovel holiday tale...

Should be cool.

Depp sings?

Tell the tale of Sweeney Todd...his eye was rather odd...

kaplin42
10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Is it me, or is Depp one of the most versatile actors of our time. I generally like him in any role he plays. More importantly, his characters are never the same.

This movie looks great. I don't even like musicals, and I will probably go check this out.

HypnotizedMonkey
10-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Is it me, or is Depp one of the most versatile actors of our time. I generally like him in any role he plays. More importantly, his characters are never the same.

This movie looks great. I don't even like musicals, and I will probably go check this out.

he's the best. can't wait to see The Rum Diary. Only Depp can pull off Hunter Thompson.

chagrin
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM

Wrong - the last example of versatility he demonstrated was Fear and Loathing, maybe chokolat (sp?) every signle other role is a replica of the previous one, This movie trailer was a little bit of evey role he's played in for Tim Burton.

I'm not saying he can't act, on the contrary, I disagree with your statment about his versaility. Based upon the trailer, it looks like every other Tim burton movie, with the Oingo Boingo dude writing the same rehashed soundtrack.

chagrin
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
he's the best. can't wait to see The Rum Diary. Only Depp can pull off Hunter Thompson.

Again I disagree, Bill Murray did the best Hunter S. thompson in Where the Buffalo Roam - have you seen that?

Deberg_1990
10-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Wrong - the last example of versatility he demonstrated was Fear and Loathing, maybe chokolat (sp?) every signle other role is a replica of the previous one, This movie trailer was a little bit of evey role he's played in for Tim Burton.

I'm not saying he can't act, on the contrary, I disagree with your statment about his versaility. Based upon the trailer, it looks like every other Tim burton movie, with the Oingo Boingo dude writing the same rehashed soundtrack.

How was Jack Sparrow a replica of what previous role he did??

and yes, Danny Elfmans scores are starting to all sound alike..

Fire Me Boy!
10-05-2007, 12:45 PM

and yes, Danny Elfmans scores are starting to all sound alike..

Elfman doesn't have anything to do with this movie. Just FYI.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000384/

kaplin42
10-05-2007, 12:52 PM

I disagree completely. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, those guys always have the same character in every movie, even when the characters are differant. Hell I see Lestat in almost every Mission Impossible movie.

Benny & June to Nine Gates to Pirates to Sleepy Hollow are all completely differant characters. Now Tim Burton on the other hand, yes his movies are all starting to look the same, but that doesn't mean that Depp is the same. I never see any similar character trademarks in any of his personas.

HypnotizedMonkey
10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Again I disagree, Bill Murray did the best Hunter S. thompson in Where the Buffalo Roam - have you seen that?

I have seen it .. it was good, but also more of a comedic take on Thompson... and I'm a huge fan of Bill Murray, but I can't get lost in his character as much as I can in Depp's... Depp has a way of making himself disappear so all you see is the character he's playing, when I watch Murray, his presense as an actor is always there.. which isn't a bad thing, just different styles of acting. Also, I was born the same year that movie came out, so having seen it much after its release may have tainted my opinion?

Deberg_1990
10-05-2007, 12:59 PM
I disagree completely. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, those guys always have the same character in every movie, even when the characters are differant. Hell I see Lestat in almost every Mission Impossible movie.

Benny & June to Nine Gates to Pirates to Sleepy Hollow are all completely differant characters. Now Tim Burton on the other hand, yes his movies are all starting to look the same, but that doesn't mean that Depp is the same. I never see any similar character trademarks in any of his personas.

Agreed. Depp doesnt really take the traditional "Movie Star" roles. Even when he does take a "payday" role: (Pirates) He turned it into something oddball and unique.

Hes just an incredible actor.

chagrin
10-05-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm saying that Jack Sparrow is not very far off from Ichabod Crane, and his "From Hell" character as well, his lousy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
none of those demonstrated versatility, it's just my opinion but I think I have a valid point.

Again, I'm not saying he is a bad actor, all I'm saying is he doesn't really demonstrate versatility "anymore" sorry I didn't use that word the first time but I stand by my words. This certainly applies to the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movies.

Jilly
10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
I think he does: edward scissorhands/Jack Sparrow/ that one movie when he was the author/ charlie and the chocolate factory, and hey, let's not forget 21 Jump Street.....

KurtCobain
10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
This is gonna be great!

ImuMamalukabubuday
10-05-2007, 02:34 PM
I thought Depp's Hunter S. Thompson was much better, and I'm a huge Bill Murray fan. Depp was amazing in Fear and Loathing. I do have to agree that many of Depp's characters seem similar in many ways. I've always thought that they asked him to play Jack Sparrow as if Hunter S. Thompson was doing the acting. There are major similarities between the the two.

Tinlar
10-05-2007, 02:41 PM
This just in...

You are all gay.

... please carry on.