PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Bill Callahan

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sam Hall
10-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Dear Coach Callahan,

I have a lot to say to you. I'd like to know why your version of the West Coast Offense tanks when your team plays against tough competition. The problem about tonight is Missouri's defense isn't supposed to be tough. You made the Tigers' defense look like the Baltimore Ravens' defense. Coach, I think you rely too much on yards after the catch. I don't think your version of the West Coast Offense works in college football. Jerry Rice and Rich Gannon don't play for Nebraska. Open up the play book and get creative with both runs and passes.

You don't seem to be a good motivator, coach. I have not seen any leadership from players and coaches. What happened against Ball State? I know your team beat the little guy, whereas other teams have not, but you put me on the edge of sheer embarrassment. You scared the shit out of me, coach. A loss to Ball State would have been the worst loss in the program's history, and Nebraska has been playing football since 1890.

Can you please replace defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove after the season? I know he's your buddy, but we need an aggressive scheme on defense.

I thought you were progressing the program, but I am no longer sure. I've defended you to the point of getting blasted by other people. I've dealt with the shit because I thought you could turn around the program. Coach, I think you would make a great used car salesmen. You emphasize recruiting, and the team does have talent, but all Husker fans deserve better results on the field.

Coach, you just received a contract extension. Use the time you've bought yourself and make something happen. I'll be at the Texas A&M game in two weeks. I can't help but think I wasted more than $750 on two nights at the Embassy Suites, because our season is over, unless Missouri blows their biggest opportunity to win the North. I'm not counting on it.

Even then, why would it matter? Why travel to San Antonio if the team would get crushed by Oklahoma? That is not progress.

Sincerely, Big Red Ryan or Sam Hall or whatever

Baconeater
10-06-2007, 11:08 PM
He doesn't give a shit, his job is safe. This is the way it's going to be until some major housecleaning gets done, from the chancellor on down.

Molitoth
10-06-2007, 11:10 PM
This is pathetic.

Molitoth
10-06-2007, 11:10 PM
The game, i mean. Not the letter.

Ari Chi3fs
10-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Nebraska was dooooomed the moment they hired a Raiders retread. Seriously, wtf were they thinking?

Sam Hall
10-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Nebraska was dooooomed the moment they hired a Raiders retread. Seriously, wtf were they thinking?

That gets into my car salesmen bit about bringing the WCO to Nebraska and recruiting.

Baconeater
10-06-2007, 11:21 PM
You'll have to ask our jackass AD that question. Here's his e-mail address:

steve@huskers.com

Sam Hall
10-06-2007, 11:30 PM
My letter could be a work in progress.

Sam Hall
10-06-2007, 11:35 PM
No amount of Matt Davison talk will change what happened tonight.

Coach
10-06-2007, 11:39 PM
If I was a Husker fan, I would just ask for his resignation, period.

Sam Hall
10-06-2007, 11:43 PM
If I was a Husker fan, I would just ask for his resignation, period.

Another transition isn't the answer right now. I want Cosgrove gone after the season, and give Callahan one more year to show something. It's a bad situation no matter what.

Baconeater
10-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Another transition isn't the answer right now.
The hell it isn't and Pedersen's ass should be out the door with him.

Deberg_1990
10-06-2007, 11:51 PM
But, But.....He took the Raiders to a Super Bowl.....

Sam Hall
10-06-2007, 11:55 PM
The hell it isn't and Pedersen's ass should be out the door with him.

I'd like to think the University would shell out millions for an elite coach, but they never have in the past.

Baconeater
10-06-2007, 11:57 PM
I'd like to think the University would shell out millions for an elite coach, but they never have in the past.
We don't need an "elite" coach. We just need one with a friggin' brain.

PastorMikH
10-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Bill,

You are doing great man! You are one of my favorite coaches. What you did with the Raiders was SWEET! Now you are taking the Cornhuskers to a new level too. Hope you are able to stay up there for a long time. If you do decide to move, you should consider coaching basketball - you'd make a great coach for the Jayhawks.

Sincerely

PastorMikH

KcMizzou
10-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Bill,

You are doing great man! You are one of my favorite coaches. What you did with the Raiders was SWEET! Now you are taking the Cornhuskers to a new level too. Hope you are able to stay up there for a long time. If you do decide to move, you should consider coaching basketball - you'd make a great coach for the Jayhawks.

Sincerely

PastorMikHCan you add "and KcMizzou" to the end of that?

Thanks.

InChiefsHell
10-07-2007, 12:18 AM
This season has been a total cluster****, and it's not even halfway over yet. Huskers will probably miss a bowl game, 2nd time under Callahan, and 2nd time in like 39 years...

...housecleaning is needed. At a minimum, Cosgrove. But Billy boy gets maybe one more season before he, Petersen, and the Chancelor need to go...

Man I hate this. Go Chiefs, for God's sake...

sportsman1
10-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Pssst....

Atleast Your coach isn't a Nutt.

Pitt Gorilla
10-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Nebraska looked terrible tonight. When the O was running well, NU passed. When they needed to pass, they stayed with the run. Your coach is an idiot.

Frazod
10-07-2007, 01:37 AM
Dear Coach Callahan,

I think you're awesome. Love what you're doing with the program. You might want to consider hiring Greg Robinson as your DC, though. He'll be available next year.

Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Frazod

:)

Smed1065
10-07-2007, 01:40 AM
If they do not win, replace them?

Blame them and bitch, next year when they rebuild?

Screw them to.

CP is in charge there too?

Baconeater
10-07-2007, 01:51 AM
If they do not win, replace them?

Blame them and bitch, next year when they rebuild?

Screw them to.

CP is in charge there too?
We have an SP instead of a CP. It's just as bad though.

morphius
10-07-2007, 02:06 AM
I thought it was stupid to give him that extension before the USC game, that game was a measuring stick of where this team stood with the Callahan players. Of course you tried to blast me for that thought, but that game ended up showing that his huskers were no where ready to compete with the top tier teams.

So, now you are stuck with a HC who runs such a complicated offense that your QB has to run over to the sidelines to get the entire play. Good luck with keeping any sort of roll going when a QB's eligibility is up with a system like that.

kstater
10-07-2007, 04:28 AM
He doesn't give a shit, his job is safe.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. You think he gets canned if they don't win out?

Skip Towne
10-07-2007, 08:44 AM
It might be a good idea to ensure a quality coach will take that job before you can Callahan. You forgot to do that last time.

Lancetastic
10-07-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm just curious why Nebraska deserves better than this?

Baconeater
10-07-2007, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't be so sure of that. You think he gets canned if they don't win out?
No, I don't. I'm not sure he'll get canned if he loses out.

Bob Dole
10-07-2007, 09:48 AM
The fact that people are including the Chancellor in this is pretty funny.

Perhaps you've forgotten that college is supposed to be about academics. How's the Chancellor doing on that front?

Baconeater
10-07-2007, 09:51 AM
The fact that people are including the Chancellor in this is pretty funny.

Perhaps you've forgotten that college is supposed to be about academics. How's the Chancellor doing on that front?
Ummm...who cares? Dickface Perlman gave Dickface Pedersen an extension for doing a shitty job. Unless he has the balls to can SP, he's just as big of and idiot as the rest of the bunch.

kcfan82
10-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I think the program needs a little stability, I'd like to see Coz go myself although last year our run defense was nasty and we could get a pass rush when needed.

Either that was losing 2 DE's in the 1rst two rounds of the NFL draft or Coz forgot how to coach.

Sam Hall
10-07-2007, 03:14 PM
It's a combination of losing the entire defensive line and having players who don't know what's going on. Our defense is clueless. I thought our secondary would be better and we would have decent replacements on the defensive line. It proves that games are won and lost in the trenches. I've run out of patience with Cosgrove. I want an aggressive defense.

Callahan can hike his ass back to California and take his west coast offense with him. I want to run a spread offense that employs the misdirection.

kcfan82
10-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi hate the spread offense, I certainly don't want to run gimmick plays like Missouri and Tech.

I don't care if Tech and Missouri have both blown us out, running out of the shotgun on 3rd and goal at the one inch line is going to get you destroyed against teams like OU and LSU.

It's definitely time for a change, but at least if there is a new coach we aren't as talent depleted as Solich left us.

Pitt Gorilla
10-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi hate the spread offense, I certainly don't want to run gimmick plays like Missouri and Tech.

I don't care if Tech and Missouri have both blown us out, running out of the shotgun on 3rd and goal at the one inch line is going to get you destroyed against teams like OU and LSU.

It's definitely time for a change, but at least if there is a new coach we aren't as talent depleted as Solich left us.Yeah, the spread pretty much sucks unless you like scoring a lot of points.

I'm still chuckling at Nebraska fans' assertions that their WRs were "licking their chops" at the thought of facing MU's true freshman CB. They got some yards, but they weren't against Gettis.

kcfan82
10-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah that spread, misdirection offense has garnered a combined 0 Big 12 title game appearances for Tech and MU.

Definitely the way to go

Pitt Gorilla
10-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah that spread, misdirection offense has garnered a combined 0 Big 12 title game appearances for Tech and MU.

Definitely the way to goThis is MU's third year of running the spread.

kcfan82
10-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Missouri should make the Big 12 title game this year if they can beat KU in Arrowhead, I'm just saying personally I'm not a big fan of that style of offense...

It scores alot of points, but maybe because of it's nature it keeps your defense on the field and gives up alot of points too.

Sam Hall
10-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Definitely the way to go

We've seen what they've done against Nebraska's defense and we know where the WCO offense has gotten us. We need a creative offense that is hard to defend. I want a dual-threat quarterback like Daniel.

KcMizzou
10-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Missouri should make the Big 12 title game this year if they can beat KU in Arrowhead, I'm just saying personally I'm not a big fan of that style of offense...

It scores alot of points, but maybe because of it's nature it keeps your defense on the field and gives up alot of points too.We can't really burn clock. We're not built for it.

I figure that'll kill us at some point. But there are so many weapons... I'm not sure there will be many times when we need to.

In short, I dont think we can go undefeated with this O... but we can do more than any Mizzou team I've ever watched.

Pitt Gorilla
10-07-2007, 04:21 PM
We can't really burn clock. We're not built for it.

I figure that'll kill us at some point. But there are so many weapons... I'm not sure there will be many times when we need to.

In short, I dont think we can go undefeated with this O... but we can do more than any Mizzou team I've ever watched.Good analysis. Basically, we use the short pass like a run, which creates problems when you're trying to burn clock.

kcfan82
10-07-2007, 04:22 PM
We can't really burn clock. We're not built for it.

In short, I dont think we can go undefeated with this O... but we can do more than any Mizzou team I've ever watched.

If Missouris defense can keep up the way they played yesterday they have a shot at beating Oklahoma.

I remember sometime last year that running the shotgun on the goal line cost Pinkel in a game, and I think it may have been OU in columbia.

I'd like their offense alot more if they recruited a big back, and put in a different short yardage/goal line package.

Sure it made us look stupid last night, but our defense sucks ;)

Sam Hall
10-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Can I get Gary Patterson on the phone with the athletic department.

Sam Hall
10-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Jim Mora makes me feel good

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3NDiMorX-o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3NDiMorX-o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

suds79
10-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Jim Mora makes me feel good

:LOL: Ah you gotta love Jim Mora's candor.

Sam Hall
10-07-2007, 10:08 PM
More possibilities:

1. Give Bobby Petrino two seasons to get sick of the NFL and then bring him back to college football.

2. Bill Cowher LOL

Sam Hall
10-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I would appreciate it if a Mizzou fan would send me a video of the double-reverse flea flicker so I can show my best buddy.

Saulbadguy
10-08-2007, 03:25 PM
The only really "sexy" jobs in the Big XII are Texas and Oklahoma. Nebraska won't get a big name coach, but that's not a bad thing, IMO. I think you made a poor decision w/ Callahan from the start, because Nebraska still thinks it's a great job, and wanted to hire a name coach.

Hire the best candidate for the job, not the biggest name.

the Talking Can
10-08-2007, 03:25 PM

No doubt, I remember USC stopping Texas in the Rose Bowl. The shotgun is a loser.

And Tebow never got in the endzone last year for National Champions Florida.

and....

Sam Hall
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Somebody on the radio just compared Callahan to Paul Hackett.

Saulbadguy
10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Do you know who I would truly fear if they hired him at Nebraska?

Gary ****in Barnett.

Sam Hall
10-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Do you know who I would truly fear if they hired him at Nebraska?

Gary ****in Barnett.

I'd need time to get over that one. There's some bad blood there. I suggested Gary Patterson yesterday. It's all speculation on my part because NU won't change head coaches until at least after 2008.

Saulbadguy
10-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I'd need time to get over that one. There's some bad blood there. I suggested Gary Patterson yesterday. It's all speculation on my part because NU won't change head coaches until at least after 2008.
I don't think the K-State guy will go to Nebraska. JMO.

Sam Hall
10-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't think the K-State guy will go to Nebraska. JMO.

That's what I'm thinking.

Saulbadguy
10-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Scott Frost is moving up the ranks. Maybe he will be ready when you guys are!

Sam Hall
10-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Good bye, Bill. You won't be able to justify staying after this season.

Sam Hall
10-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Go to Podcasts down the right side of the page. Go to Oct. 11, segment 9: Bill in Lincoln checks in. It's funny stuff.

http://1620thezone.com/

BWillie
10-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Nebraska is pathetic this year. They can't stop anybody, what happened to the Blackshirts. Callahan was so worried about building a present day offense he forgot about the defense and just assumed it'd always be around.

I think when Nebraska plays at KU, KU is going to be favored by a TD.

kstater
10-13-2007, 02:30 PM

Really going out on a limb there eh?

Pitt Gorilla
10-13-2007, 02:35 PM
NU has given up.

Buehler445
10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Nebraska is pathetic this year. They can't stop anybody, what happened to the Blackshirts. Callahan was so worried about building a present day offense he forgot about the defense and just assumed it'd always be around.

I live in Western Nebraska, where ALL there is to do is follow NU football. They were explaining to me how the whole Callahan thing worked out. Apparently Callahan brought in his own DC and that is the most of the problem. I'm sure Callahan recruits differently also.

Here is what they told me. I have no idea how true it is, its just what they told me. They said that the blackshirt deal was that the best players who were leaders on defense got to wear black shirts in practice. That made it a huge honor, and made the young kids work very very hard to get the honor.

Well, in comes Callahan and his DC. The DC just gave everybody on the defense a black shirt. Completely eliminating the honor and forcing the kids to work for it.

I don't know how true that is, but if that is the case, the blackshirts just need to go away and try something else. If this is true, this is a huge dumbass mistake.

Bowser
10-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Good thing Pederson got rid of the bum Bo Pellini.

I mean, good for the rest of the Big XII. Where's he coaching now? Oh yeah, LSU? What're they ranked? Uhh, yeah - top 3 in the nation, or something?

Wow.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Good thing Pederson got rid of the bum Bo Pellini.

I mean, good for the rest of the Big XII. Where's he coaching now? Oh yeah, LSU? What're they ranked? Uhh, yeah - top 3 in the nation, or something?

Wow.

I love this thread. Pederson gave Sam Hall and ALL the Husker nation exactly what THEY wanted.

Now they reap the benefit.

Sam Hall
10-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I love this thread. Pederson gave Sam Hall and ALL the Husker nation exactly what THEY wanted.

this isn't what I wanted. get out of my thread.

kstater
10-13-2007, 03:32 PM

What you didn't want to squeak by Ball State and get blown out of the water by 3 different teams?

InChiefsHell
10-13-2007, 03:33 PM

What the hell are you talking about??

Gonzo
10-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Suckers Husk and Vise Versa.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Yes it is. You got a new coach. Shined him up like a proof coin from the mint, paraded him all over the state, and even gave him a tagline: "Restore The Order".

Now, the King has no clothes. And the Hussy nation needs a scapegoat. Or two.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2007, 03:39 PM
What the hell are you talking about??

Tell me your version.

Frazod
10-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Nebraska = Baylor North LMAO

kstater
10-13-2007, 03:46 PM
:cuss: Come up with your own line, I already used that one in the game thread.

BWillie
10-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Kansas is the Oklahoma of the North.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2007, 03:49 PM

The immolation on Husker BB's today is like a star flaming out in space.

kstater
10-13-2007, 03:52 PM

Settle down there buddy, KU has improved, but they still have a little ways to go.

Frazod
10-13-2007, 03:53 PM

If you're talking desolation and tornadoes, then yes, I agree. :)

Chocolate Hog
10-13-2007, 03:54 PM

You're a tool

Frazod
10-13-2007, 03:54 PM
:cuss: Come up with your own line, I already used that one in the game thread.

Sorry.

How about Nebra Dame? :evil:

Pitt Gorilla
10-13-2007, 03:57 PM
I recall Husker fans talking about how great Callahan and Sam "Jesus" Keller were going to be this year. Hell, Cally got an extension. What happened?

kstater
10-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Sorry.

How about Nebra Dame? :evil:

Nice

keg in kc
10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Very satisfying couple of weeks in Noobraska football.

Spott
10-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I hope Callahan stays there forever. NU deserves at least 20 more years of 41-6 ass beatings from every team in the conference.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2007, 04:03 PM
I recall Husker fans talking about how great Callahan and Sam "Jesus" Keller were going to be this year. Hell, Cally got an extension. What happened?

"Sam Keller is tearing up the scout team".

"It takes time (4 seasons) to implement the Cally system". Yet Sam Keller (who will win the Heisman) can pick it up in less than 6 months?

Sam Hall
10-14-2007, 12:36 AM
"Sam Keller is tearing up the scout team".

"It takes time (4 seasons) to implement the Cally system". Yet Sam Keller (who will win the Heisman) can pick it up in less than 6 months?

Callahan needs to change the system because we don't have four ****ing years to wait for a quarterback to learn the system.

Sam Hall
10-14-2007, 12:59 AM
I hope the rumblings are true about the boosters financing enough money to buyout Callahan and Pederson.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2007, 02:14 AM
38-9 went down :(

What's hilarious is NU's athletic site.

http://www.huskers.com/

ROFL

FB: Castille Posts First Career 100-Yard Game in Loss
Freshman I-back Quentin Castille posted his first career 100-yard rushing game, but it was not enough to prevent the Nebraska football team from falling 45-14 to visiting Oklahoma State on Saturday

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
I hope the rumblings are true about the boosters financing enough money to buyout Callahan and Pederson.

That's going to cost a shit-ton of $. I think you're dreaming.

Baconeater
10-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes, it is going to cost a shit-ton of money, but I'm hearing the same rumors. Supposedly it's there, the chancellor just has to pull the trigger.

Skip Towne
10-14-2007, 03:06 PM
How much is in a shit-ton?

Baconeater
10-14-2007, 03:09 PM
How much is in a shit-ton?
It's a lot more than a crap-load.

Pitt Gorilla
10-14-2007, 03:15 PM
I hope the rumblings are true about the boosters financing enough money to buyout Callahan and Pederson.Why give Cally an extension in the first place?!?

Baconeater
10-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Why give Cally an extension in the first place?!?
Because our AD is a douchenozzle.

morphius
10-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Why give Cally an extension in the first place?!?
because wasting money is fun

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Yes, it is going to cost a shit-ton of money, but I'm hearing the same rumors. Supposedly it's there, the chancellor just has to pull the trigger.

Bugeater, what are the salary schedules for Cally and Pedey. I'm going to presume that Cally makes at or near 1 mill. Pedey probably makes 75% of that. Both are under contract through 2011.

So that's roughly 7 million to buy out. Then you have to find and pay the new coach and AD at probably an inflated price for a 4 year deal.

So you're looking at 14 million maybe.

I think you're dreaming.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm so sad that 38-9 was defeated. It should have been 38-2, Jammal Lords knee was down.

ChiefaRoo
10-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Dear Bill. You're doing a helluva a job.

Sincerely,

The Big 12 North

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Maybe we get it back this year.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.ketv.com/video/14334104/index.html

Greatest fans in the nation pour out of Memorial Stadium at halftime.

Baconeater
10-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Bugeater, what are the salary schedules for Cally and Pedey. I'm going to presume that Cally makes at or near 1 mill. Pedey probably makes 75% of that. Both are under contract through 2011.

So that's roughly 7 million to buy out. Then you have to find and pay the new coach and AD at probably an inflated price for a 4 year deal.

So you're looking at 14 million maybe.

I think you're dreaming.
Don't know about Pedey, but Cally makes $750K/yr. I know, common sense says we're hosed, but I keep hearing the money is there. One of our local radio hacks is sitting on some "big" story in regards to this issue until his show tomorrow, I'm anxious to see what that is all about. The fact that both of those clowns received extensions just a few weeks ago kills me. We'll see what happens.

WilliamTheIrish
10-14-2007, 05:11 PM
... The fact that both of those clowns received extensions just a few weeks ago kills me. We'll see what happens.

Therein lies the rub. I just don't see the rug being pulled on those two guys. Cosgrove may the sacrificial lamb, but after that..... idk.

Baconeater
10-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Therein lies the rub. I just don't see the rug being pulled on those two guys. Cosgrove may the sacrificial lamb, but after that..... idk.
Up until yesterday I thought that would be the case as well. But now...I dunno. The fans are truly pissed, and I don't think axing Coz will be enough. When it comes to Nebraskans, there's three things you don't **** with, their corn, their tractor, and their Husker football.

kcfan82
10-14-2007, 08:26 PM
The extension was for making the Big 12 title game, something Pinkel and Mangino (whom both got extensions) have failed to do until this year (probably).

Plus most coaches get them because of recruiting, it's easier to send your coach out there to get recruits when he has 5 years left and not 1.

Sam Hall
10-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Stuff happens when boosters get mad. I don't know the story because I just got home. A coaching change would give me renewed optimism about the team heading into my trip this weekend.

Sam Hall
10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
I like the idea of Tom Osborne as interim AD and then hire Dave Rimington for the job. I want someone who will emphasize football instead of game day entertainment at the stadium.

Skip Towne
10-14-2007, 08:43 PM
GROB should be available soon.

Sam Hall
10-14-2007, 08:44 PM
GROB should be available soon.

That's what you want to see.

kcfan82
10-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I like the idea of Tom Osborne as interim AD and then hire Dave Rimington for the job. I want someone who will emphasize football instead of game day entertainment at the stadium.

Yeah, that would be a great interim decision, Osborne has already failed once at hiring a coach, he deserves a second shot.

kcfan82
10-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Stuff happens when boosters get mad. I don't know the story because I just got home. A coaching change would give me renewed optimism about the team heading into my trip this weekend.

You mean the optimism of that we'll be down another 4 years after our recruits and a few players bail, and we get to start over again?

Baconeater
10-14-2007, 09:25 PM
You mean the optimism of that we'll be down another 4 years after our recruits and a few players bail, and we get to start over again?
Oh come on, are you serious? We can't get any worse.

Baconeater
10-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that would be a great interim decision, Osborne has already failed once at hiring a coach, he deserves a second shot.
Now you're being stupid. He did a helluva lot better job than Pedersen did.

kcfan82
10-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Now you're being stupid. He did a helluva lot better job than Pedersen did.

By hiring Solich?

Solich began the demise, he lost the 9 win streak when he went 7-7 among other things.

That was a guy Osborne hand picked for the job.

I'll stick with Callahan, give us a new DC or give us our defensive ends back from last year and we'll be fine.

ChiefaRoo
10-14-2007, 09:36 PM
By hiring Solich?

Solich began the demise, he lost the 9 win streak when he went 7-7 among other things.

I'll stick with Callahan, give us a new DC or give us our defensive ends back from last year and we'll be fine.

Solich = Gunther Cunningham after Marty

InChiefsHell
10-14-2007, 09:42 PM
By hiring Solich?

Still went to a bowl game. But I agree, Solich was showing serious mediocrity. Turns out, Callahan after 4 seasons looks worse than Solich. Time to cut off the bad leg...

Baconeater
10-14-2007, 09:49 PM
By hiring Solich?

Eh, I'd rather not get into this now, but Solich made improvements after he overhauled his staff prior to the 2003 season. I find it hard to believe we'd be worse off now, especially with Bo Pelini as our DC. Callahan is a nincompoop.

And quit hanging around bigredboard.com.

Sam Hall
10-14-2007, 09:56 PM

We can't worry about the recruits. This is bigger than one recruiting class. I don't want them if they don't want to be there. The recruits should know Callahan isn't the answer. The players obviously know.

Saulbadguy
10-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Here is the playbook that scored 20 points in the last 2 games.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/1541738563_156f2ec78e.jpg

Sam Hall
10-14-2007, 09:59 PM
By hiring Solich?

His WCO is the worst offense I've ever seen. He's one of the worst coaches in Division I in terms of preparation and motivating his players.

Sam Hall
10-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Here is the playbook that scored 20 points in the last 2 games.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/1541738563_156f2ec78e.jpg

I think the 12 plays we have, three of which are runs, are put on laminated cardboard in that book.

alanm
10-14-2007, 10:07 PM
I hate to point out the obvious but Osborne was the Head coach and not the AD. He recommended Solich and Bill Byrnes who was the AD at the time agreed. Pedersen didn't come in until Byrnes left to take over the job at his old school Texas A+M.

PastorMikH
10-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Personally I think this would be a great opportunity for Solari to move up to his own HC gig.

alanm
10-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Personally I think this would be a great opportunity for Solari to move up to his own HC gig.
Uh... No. :cuss: I'd prefer Kumrie waaaaaaaaaaaaay before Solari.

Skip Towne
I just hope they don't come after Ron Prince.

Baconeater
You're a funny guy.

alanm
10-14-2007, 10:18 PM
If he can line guys up to defense a spread offense he's hired. :)

Saulbadguy
10-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Me neither. :cuss:

Skip Towne
10-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Me neither. :cuss:
I just did that for you and William. :LOL:

Saulbadguy
10-14-2007, 10:27 PM
I just did that for you and William. :LOL:
You are such a sweetie.

kcfan82
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Eh, I'd rather not get into this now, but Solich made improvements after he overhauled his staff prior to the 2003 season. I find it hard to believe we'd be worse off now, especially with Bo Pelini as our DC. Callahan is a nincompoop.

And quit hanging around bigredboard.com.

I don't, I actually help run www.talkhuskers.com....

We're more or less the last refuge for people that still see a light at the end of the tunnel for this regime.

WE have the best Oline class in the country, and the #2 pro style QB.

I'm sure now, Gabbert will have a great career at Mizzou.

I'm tired of the Solich debates too, but let's not forget who started the Nebraska decline.

Sam Hall
10-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Book excerpts about Callahan, Osborne create waves at NU
BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star
Thursday, Oct 18, 2007 - 11:47:15 pm CDT

And you thought this week couldn’t get any more bizarre.

Two days after being hired as Nebraska’s interim athletic director, Tom Osborne was already issuing statements defending comments attributed to football coach Bill Callahan.

Excerpts from the book “The Nebraska Way,” written by University of Nebraska student Jonathan Crowl, with help from former Nebraska trainer Doak Ostergard, were released in a Thursday article in the Daily Nebraskan, NU’s student newspaper.

Among the brow-raisers was a story told by Ostergard in which Callahan, upset after a phone conversation with Osborne, said the then-congressman was “trying to run things from Washington,” and referred to Osborne as “that crusty old f—.”

Osborne said earlier this week he would evaluate Callahan and his coaching staff at the end of the season.

In a prepared statement released Thursday, Osborne said he understood the frustrations and emotions of being a head coach.

“I’m not surprised that my long-term influence on the program could sometimes be felt as a controlling force even while I was away, but that was never the intent,” Osborne said. “That’s why I don’t pay any attention to what may or may not have been said years ago. All that matters is I’m very supportive of Coach Callahan and his staff. We are trying to help our players and rally our fans. Right now, that’s our entire focus.”

The book also details an Ostergard story in which Callahan was upset over a newspaper story.

“F-ing people need to get a life,” Callahan said, according to Ostergard. “Why don’t they go read a book or get lost in the Sandhills? I’m going to get me a real newspaper. I’m going to read the New York Times.”

Callahan, when asked after Thursday’s practice if he denied the comments in Crowl’s book, declined comment and referred to a statement released with Osborne’s. In it, Callahan said he loves coaching and living in Nebraska, and that he respects Osborne.

“We are building a strong relationship with Coach Osborne,” Callahan said. “He knows this program inside and out, and that makes him a valuable resource for me, my staff and our players.”

Callahan fired Ostergard in February, a move that upset Ostergard, largely because the longtime employee said he was given no reason for his sudden dismissal. Crowl, a senior English major and sports writer for the Daily Nebraskan, wrote an article on the situation from Ostergard’s standpoint.

Ostergard later approached Crowl about writing a book about Nebraska football and its relationship with the state. Crowl agreed in March to write the book. Published by iUniverse Inc., “The Nebraska Way” should be available next month — a little later than originally planned, Crowl said.

The 125-page book chronicles many details of Nebraska football — from the success under Bob Devaney and Osborne to the turmoil surrounding the firing of Frank Solich and the leadership of recently fired athletic director Steve Pederson.

Crowl said Thursday’s Daily Nebraskan article had been planned last week, before Pederson’s firing. He said he’s not heard feedback from anybody within the Nebraska athletic department regarding the released excerpts.

“From what I’ve heard about people’s reactions today,” Crowl said, “I think one of the more misconstrued aspects of the book ... there’s a lot of focus on the controversial subjects that relate to Callahan and Pederson, but really, if you look at the book, almost two-thirds don’t deal with any controversial subject matter.”

Ostergard didn’t return phone messages seeking comment. But earlier this week, when asked to comment on Pederson’s firing, Ostergard declined, telling the Journal Star he wanted to take “the high road.”

Said Callahan of Ostergard: “I think he’s a fine man. We wish him the best.”

Saulbadguy
10-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Should be a good read.

InChiefsHell
10-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Bye Bill...we hardly knew you...

Sam Hall
10-19-2007, 09:55 AM
I may stand in silence instead of booing the coaches tomorrow. Indifference hurts people more than criticism.

Saulbadguy
10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I may stand in silence instead of booing the coaches tomorrow. Indifference hurts people more than criticism.
I think Nebraska may win tomorrow.

InChiefsHell
10-19-2007, 10:45 AM

I hope they do, but I don't have much faith in this defense or in the psyche of this team right now. It could be very interesting indeed.

Frazod
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM

I just want them to beat Kansas. That would be funny as hell. :D

Saulbadguy
10-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I'd rather them not win another game. Husker football fans are equal if not worse than KU basketball fans. So, i'll root for KU over them in football anytime.

However, if they do end up winning some more games, would they keep Callahan? :hmmm:

InChiefsHell
10-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd rather them not win another game. Husker football fans are equal if not worse than KU basketball fans. So, i'll root for KU over them in football anytime.

However, if they do end up winning some more games, would they keep Callahan? :hmmm:

Nope. Guarantee...

Sam Hall
10-21-2007, 03:09 PM

KU shouldn't even worry about it. My eyewitness assessment to follow.

Sam Hall
10-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Dear ****face,

I saw the frown on your face when the team came out for the tunnel walk, you no class ass. You don't appreciate the traditions at NU. You and Cosgrove are so gone and you know it. Coz ducked his head when he came out like he was trying to avoid the crown. You don't even believe in getting the team fired up before the game. 85,000 people were cheering the team when they came out, but your players jogged out like they didn't want to be there. I didn't see any fire; I didn't see anybody jumping on each other.

What's the deal with letting A&M run the same play over and over and ****ing over. McGee had your defense in his pocket. I saw the pattern in the second quarter, you never figured it out. You don't even care to make an adjustment.

I'm sick of you calling dink and dunk shit because that's all our offense can do. You only went down field one time yesterday. Your boy Keller actually is a good quarterback, but he needs to work on his decision making. The only good thing yesterday was seeing Quentin Castille take over the starting running back job, if you decide to let him from now on, which I doubt. It's past time to let your young receivers get into the game. And great call going for it on fourth and goal from the six yard line when a field goal would've helped us.

You should resign immediately since you don't want to coach the team.

Sam Hall

Saulbadguy
10-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Pretty funny how much self-worth is derived from the success of the Nebraska football team up there. Look at the front page of their athletic site. Nothing but Volleyball news.

http://www.huskers.com

Sam Hall
10-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Pretty funny how much self-worth is derived from the success of the Nebraska football team up there. Look at the front page of their athletic site. Nothing but Volleyball news.

http://www.huskers.com

I'm sure PR is involved in that job.

Sam Hall
10-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Someone wanted to place a bet with me that Callahan won't last the season. I passed on that one.

Saulbadguy
10-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Someone wanted to place a bet with me that Callahan won't last the season. I passed on that one.
I think he will last the entire season. It really doesn't matter whether they fire him now or wait. The season is over.

Was it a full house there on Saturday? How many people had left by halftime?

Sam Hall
10-22-2007, 11:05 AM
I think he will last the entire season. It really doesn't matter whether they fire him now or wait. The season is over.

Was it a full house there on Saturday? How many people had left by halftime?

The place was full and people didn't start leaving until about five minutes were left in the fourth quarter. I was standing about five yards away from Tom Osborne before the game, that was cool. Then we saw no class ass come out of the tunnel with a frown on his face.

Saulbadguy
10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
The place was full and people didn't start leaving until about five minutes were left in the fourth quarter. I was standing about five yards away from Tom Osborne before the game, that was cool. Then we saw no class ass come out of the tunnel with a frown on his face.
Was there a standing ovation for A&M after the game?

Sam Hall
10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Some of the players looked like they didn't want to be there, they looked scared. Some of them were holding hands, but it was nothing like what the Patriots did in the Super Bowl against the Rams.

Sam Hall
10-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Was there a standing ovation for A&M after the game?

both end zones cheered the teams after the game

kcbronco
10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Little birdy has told me after the NU/CU game they will name Pelini head coach, Rathman Off. Coor, Mike Stoops(if fired at Ariz) or Mike Sanders as Def. Coor, and Scott Frost as DB coach.

Sam Hall
10-22-2007, 11:20 AM
We'll see if Nebraska can hold Texas under 1,700 yards now that Callahan is on top of his game.

InChiefsHell
10-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Tom has stated that he will not evaluate the coaching staff until after the season. He'd look decidedly un-classy if he were to go back on that, unless something really huge came up. If he's un-moved by the Callahan comments in the book (and he appears to be) then Billy Boy will play out the season. IF (hardy har har) we go to a bowl game, they may or may not let him coach it.

Baconeater
10-22-2007, 12:12 PM
The latest rumor from Matt Perrault:

- Bill Callahan will announce in the coming days that he will resign at the end of the year.

- Bill will be paid more than his contract buyout to do this.

- This is an attempt to make everything go smoother the rest of the way.

http://www.bigsports590.com/Blog/MattsBlog/tabid/2679/Default.aspx

Spott
10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
In other news, Tom Osborne is 0-1 as the Athletic Director.

InChiefsHell
10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
In other news, Tom Osborne is 0-1 as the Athletic Director.

ROFL That was everyone's favorite line this weekend...

Sam Hall
10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
goat boy callahan says baaaaaaaaaaaaaa husker fan

Sam Hall
10-22-2007, 03:38 PM
There's a strip club on O Street in Lincoln.

Baconeater
10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
There's a strip club on O Street in Lincoln.
There's a juice bar in Waverly.

Saulbadguy
10-23-2007, 04:02 PM
A few things from the NU "LOL" bag:

http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=181&tid=103866747&mid=103866747&sid=928&style=2

During his PC today, he commented about "watching out for Limas Sweed" this weekend vs Texas.

1. He pronounced Limas a way I have never heard it.
2. Sweed is out for the season. This was known to the public on October 8th.

Glad to know our Head Coach is up to date with information.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=181&tid=103870628&mid=103870628&sid=928&style=2

Purify said he looks forward to the road game because "your fans aren't on you"

"I'm kind of angry at the fans. If you're going to support us when we're winning, support us when we're losing,"

Baconeater
10-23-2007, 04:43 PM

http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=181&tid=103866747&mid=103866747&sid=928&style=2

During his PC today, he commented about "watching out for Limas Sweed" this weekend vs Texas.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=181&tid=103870628&mid=103870628&sid=928&style=2

"I'm kind of angry at the fans. If you're going to support us when we're winning, support us when we're losing,"

Did you listen to his whole PC? Did you hear the part where he said "I'm doing an excellent job in all areas"? ROFL @ that. Then he basically whined about losing his recruiting class that his staff worked so hard for and in not so many words implied that he never got a chance to prove what he can do. What a buffoon.

And as far as Purify, he's a dumbass punk.

WilliamTheIrish
10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
I have to reiterate how gd funny I find this thread. Less than a month ago, Sam Hall was talking about the great job Callahack was doing.
Then, the Kool-Aid went sour.

Sam Hall
10-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I have to reiterate how gd funny I find this thread. Less than a month ago, Sam Hall was talking about the great job Callahack was doing.
Then, the Kool-Aid went sour.

it's beyond funny for some of us

Saulbadguy
10-23-2007, 08:47 PM
it's beyond funny for some of us
:raises hand:

Sam Hall
10-23-2007, 08:50 PM

I'm going to post the whole Callahan interview. I'll have some of what he's smoking. Mo Purify should shut up and take some responsibility, even though he's underutilized.

Sam Hall
10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
:raises hand:

i'm just waiting for the clock to strike zero after the CU game

Sam Hall
10-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Callahan comes out firing
By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star
Tuesday, Oct 23, 2007 - 03:05:02 pm CDT

With the criticism of his coaching rising in decibels, Bill Callahan came out firing at Tuesday’s weekly football press conference.

The Husker coach was asked silly questions: Why hasn’t he worn his Husker gear the past two press conferences?

And questions of worth: Are you going to resign before this season’s over?

He scoffed at both. Here was a man ready to make his case as to why he should continue to be the football coach at Nebraska.

About resigning, he said: “No, I’m committed. I said I want to be here. I want to be here. I signed an extension to be here ... No, (resigning is) not an option.”

Surely, one broadcaster questioned — with the season’s results, the firing of Steve Pederson, and a book coming out that alleges Callahan said unkind things about Tom Osborne — the coach must wonder if he’s the right man for the job.

“I don’t acknowledge that book at all. All I would tell you is ... I’ve done an excellent job in every area. It’s hard for the media to know, but what we’ve done off the field, and what we’ve done on the field. I think it’s well-documented,” Callahan said.

“We did some positive things. We have. We haven’t sustained it this year. But you’re in a (Big 12) championship game, in a three-year period of time you come in and implement a whole new offensive system, and in two years time you’re in a championship ballgame.”

Within minutes, his words were being batted around in cyberspace.

Can the words “I’ve done an excellent job in every area” be uttered by a man leading a 4-4 football team?

The people wondered.

Callahan continued.

“There’s a lot of work being done, to put together these recruiting classes, I think it bodes well for what we represent and how hard this staff has worked,” he said. “I got enough confidence in myself and our staff and our players to know we can win. We’re going to win. We’re just going through a tough stretch.”

The Huskers have lost their last three games by a combined 88 points, giving up an average of 40.6 in each of those games.

During the time, fan criticism has reached a level rarely seen around here.

Some positive energy returned last week with the announcement of Tom Osborne as interim athletic director, but then came a 36-14 loss to Texas A&M.

Sour moods returned.

Senior receiver Maurice Purify admitted Tuesday he was “kind of angry at the fans.”

He said they put on their red shirts and caps, then they come down behind the bench when Nebraska’s trailing and voice opinions of negativity.

Said Purify: “They'll say, ‘You guys suck.’ I’m like, if you’re going to support us when we’re winning, why can’t you support us when we’re losing?”

Callahan has bigger problems.

He said a few of his recruits have de-committed due to the instability in the program.

One of them is Jonas Gray, the gifted running back from suburban Detroit.

Because of Nebraska’s unstable coaching situation, he’s now taking looks at Notre Dame, Michigan and LSU. He said he doesn’t rule out Nebraska.

“It’s a lot of work to climb up to that seven hole in the country in recruiting. That’s the disappointment when you don’t have success, you see some of that slipping,” Callahan said.

The coach said parents are expressing a lot of uncertainty to him.

“When your son’s looking at an institution, they want stability and they want continuity, and I think that’s why, with (my) contract extension in September, that made everyone feel assured that there was going to be those traits for their son.

“And so with everything up in the air, parents are concerned, they’re looking for other options. That’s the tough part, because our coaches have worked exceedingly hard to build that. And let’s be honest, it takes time to build that. It takes years to get into a position where you can have a great class.”

Callahan said he’s tried hard to get the talented prep players while also plugging in JUCO players to a team that did not have a lot of depth when he arrived.

He said when he got here, he had to simply get recruits to “plug a dike” at certain positions.

“I got to tell you what, this is the hardest recruiting staff you’ve seen, getting kids to camp and getting kids here on campus, and locking up a class the way they did,” Callahan said. “That’s what hurts. That’s what’s disappointing when you’re right at the position you can get a top class of talent like that and then let it slip away, that’s really tough.”

Yeah, but what do high-ranking recruiting classes matter if you can’t produce on the field?

Callahan’s answer: “I think it takes time. Those classes take time. We’re playing a lot of young guys. I think it takes time. I really do. I think it’s a circumstance where you just try to keep growing with the players that you have. And I love our kids. They’re trying hard. They’re working hard.”

Sam Hall
10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Blaine Gabbert has canceled his official visit on November 9. His dad said he hasn't decommitted. He may take his official visit when the new staff is in place. He and Will Compton were really put off by Mizzou fans who ripped them on message boards for committing to Nebraska. Will Compton said he'll give the new staff a shot. Recruits are obviously going to look at their options right now.

InChiefsHell
10-24-2007, 07:26 AM
I'll agree slightly with Mo Purify in the sense that you have to support your Huskers win or lose...the problem is when you start out the season feeling like you are a top 10 team talent wise, and you figure it's year 4 of the new system, we should be better, not worse. We're looking like we're going to turn in the worst season in the modern era...that's gonna grate on the nerves of a very proud fanbase with a very proud tradition. I still don't think the fans are crapping on the players as much as the staff and the administration at NU. Unfortunately the players are hearing nothing but criticism of the football program, so they are taking it personally. That's understandable and I'm sure it sucks hard right now being a Husker player.

BTW, if there really are fans who are standing behind the bench and telling the players "You guys suck" well, all I can say is those guys are total assholes...and I still say they are not indicative of the fan base as a whole.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 08:42 AM
In a surprising development, JUCO defensive end Simi Kuli, the No. 1 ranked junior college player in the country, commits to Nebraska! He liked how Osborne was "straight up" with him. His final two were LSU and Nebraska. Maybe he learned something we don't know.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=63513&Sport=1

morphius
10-24-2007, 08:56 AM
I like how he talks about implementing a new system in around 3 years, as if his offense is scoring points with guys who are only around 3 or 4 years.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Blaine Gabbert has canceled his official visit on November 9. His dad said he hasn't decommitted. He may take his official visit when the new staff is in place. He and Will Compton were really put off by Mizzou fans who ripped them on message boards for committing to Nebraska. Will Compton said he'll give the new staff a shot. Recruits are obviously going to look at their options right now.
FRAZOD!!! ROFL

Pitt Gorilla
10-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Gabbert, Compton, Givens, et al. are taking official visits to Mizzou. I guess these guys are a little "tougher" than you all think. Of course, Blaine Dalton has committed to Mizzou for 09, so Gabbert has some pretty solid competition at his spot.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Gabbert, Compton, Givens, et al. are taking official visits to Mizzou. I guess these guys are a little "tougher" than you all think. Of course, Blaine Dalton has committed to Mizzou for 09, so Gabbert has some pretty solid competition at his spot.

I don't know where your "tougher" comment comes from, but it's time for some people to stop piling on. The situation is established by now. The players and coaches have quit, and NU probably won't win another game this season.

The coaches are rumored to have stopped recruiting and are telling recruits they will be gone. All they can guarantee is a scholarship. Tom Osborne is responsible for Kuli's commit. I talked about that earlier, and it fuels the Pelini buzz.

The big story will be the coaching search. NU may sign some kids who aren't on our radar screen right now. They may also keep some kids who are reconsidering their commit to NU. Anyone who follows recruiting knows how crazy it is. Signing day isn't until February 5.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Gabbert = overrated.

WilliamTheIrish
10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I love it when Sam parrots Huskerpedophelia BB. So has Dr. Tom saved the committment of Jonas Gray?

WilliamTheIrish
10-24-2007, 01:06 PM
goat boy callahan says baaaaaaaaaaaaaa husker fan

Will the next savior be Little Bo Peepelini?

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 01:27 PM

You're going to be laughing your ass off when I figure out how to attach MP3 files to posts. Let's just say a Callahan impersonator calls a radio show in Omaha every Thursday.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
I love it when Sam parrots Huskerpedophelia BB. So has Dr. Tom saved the committment of Jonas Gray?

Gray has decommited and seems to like Notre Dame, which is odd to me because the Domers are worse than NU right now. I suppose he could start right away for the Domers. Gray committed to NU because of the staff and said he would decommit if they left. I think the staff is telling recruits they won't be around next year.

We'll see what happens when the new staff is in place. It seems like a number of our commits will give the new staff a chance to recruit them.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 01:36 PM

Go here if you want to laugh at a bunch of Callahan supporters:

http://bbs.bigredboard.com/phpBB2/index.php

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 01:36 PM
You're going to be laughing your ass off when I figure out how to attach MP3 files to posts. Let's just say a Callahan impersonator calls a radio show in Omaha every Thursday.
He's probably not as funny as the real Callahan.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 01:38 PM
He's probably not as funny as the real Callahan.

it's a close call this week

Pitt Gorilla
10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't know where your "tougher" comment comes from, but it's time for some people to stop piling on. The situation is established by now. The players and coaches have quit, and NU probably won't win another game this season.

The coaches are rumored to have stopped recruiting and are telling recruits they will be gone. All they can guarantee is a scholarship. Tom Osborne is responsible for Kuli's commit. I talked about that earlier, and it fuels the Pelini buzz.

The big story will be the coaching search. NU may sign some kids who aren't on our radar screen right now. They may also keep some kids who are reconsidering their commit to NU. Anyone who follows recruiting knows how crazy it is. Signing day isn't until February 5.I wasn't piling on; you said that Gabbert and Compton were "really put off" by Mizzou fans, and I said that they were likely tougher than to let the actions of a few fans on a bulletin board bother them. I mean, it wasn't like a contingent of stadium fans were booing them or telling them they suck. Ok, now I, along with Mo Purify, am piling on.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 01:55 PM
hey husker fan, this is bill callahan. and you have a job and you're poor; and i'm unemployed and i'm rich, husker fan.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I honestly don't think Pelini would be a bad choice. I'll go on record saying that here so when Sam Hall starts claiming him as the next "RTO" guy, I won't give him too much grief.

However, the Fuskers need to re-adjust their expectations. The climate of the Big XII and college football has changed, they can't just line up 7th year "walk-on" roided seniors and destroy you anymore. Oklahoma and Texas are tough to compete with on a year in year out basis, and NU won't be there every year. They will have great years, but it won't be a constant thing like it used to.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 02:12 PM
However, the Fuskers need to re-adjust their expectations. The climate of the Big XII and college football has changed, they can't just line up 7th year "walk-on" roided seniors and destroy you anymore. Oklahoma and Texas are tough to compete with on a year in year out basis, and NU won't be there every year. They will have great years, but it won't be a constant thing like it used to.

we're already used to that

Frazod
10-24-2007, 02:24 PM
FRAZOD!!! ROFL

What did the little bastard expect - flowers?

Grow a pair, junior. If you go play for the Cornhumpers, WE WON'T LIKE YOU. Duh.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
we're already used to that
Then it should be an easy transition.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Larry the Cable Guy is rumored to be a booster. Imagine the post-game press conferences if he were named defensive coordinator. He couldn't do any worse than Lost Cosgrove.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Larry the Cable Guy is rumored to be a booster. Imagine the post-game press conferences if he were named defensive coordinator. He couldn't do any worse than Lost Cosgrove.
He's a phony and a fraud, just like Cosgrove. But yeah, he'd probably do a better job.

kcfan82
10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
They got their 3rd 5 star commit a few days ago

http://nebraska.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=63513

Damn, this would of have been a hell of a class, too bad for the impatience in the Nebraska fanbase and the mud slinging by the rest of the Big 12 clowns.

Baconeater
10-24-2007, 07:34 PM

Damn, this would of have been a hell of a class, too bad for the impatience in the Nebraska fanbase and the mud slinging by the rest of the Big 12 clowns.
LOL impatience. How many more years would you like to waste with this assclown?

kcfan82
10-24-2007, 07:37 PM
LOL impatience. How many more years would you like to waste with this assclown?

You should have listened to Kietzman at 2 O'clock today talking about some fans have been going close to the sidelines at games and telling the players they suck, among numerous other things.

I said when Callahan got there, he should get his due 5 years.

It's apparant Cosgrove needs to be fired, but some people need to get the sparkly dreams of Pelini out of their heads.

If we toss enough coaches away, pretty soon we'll be just like Notre Dame.

Baconeater
10-24-2007, 07:58 PM
You should have listened to Kietzman at 2 O'clock today talking about some fans have been going close to the sidelines at games and telling the players they suck, among numerous other things.
What does that have to do with Callahan sucking as a coach?

It's apparant Cosgrove needs to be fired, but some people need to get the sparkly dreams of Pelini out of their heads.
If you want to see another year of this garbage, then your and idiot. Coz isn't the only problem, in case you haven't noticed Callahan's vaunted WCO is an absolute joke as well.

That statement is so idiotic I'm not going to even dignify it with a response.

kcfan82
10-24-2007, 08:20 PM
I qualify keeping him as a coach, because he overhauled the entire Nebraska system and took Nebraska to the Big 12 title game last year. That's something Solich didn't manage since 1999 and something Pinkel and Mangino still haven't managed.

I admit this year is an incredible shock....

But he has proven he can recruit, Pelini has never had to recruit on his own (Crabtree talked about this on 1620 today).

Your buddy Osborne has been quoted as saying that coaches don't win titles, athletes do.

I'd prefer to take my chances with the future talent.

kstater
10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I qualify keeping him as a coach, because he overhauled the entire Nebraska system and took Nebraska to the Big 12 title game last year. That's something Solich didn't manage since 1999 and something Pinkel and Mangino still haven't managed.

But he has proven he can recruit, Pelini has never had to recruit on his own (Crabtree talked about this on 1620 today).

Your buddy Osborne has been quoted as saying that coaches don't win titles, athletes do.

How do you qualify him being able to recruit? By athletes performance on the field, or the number of stars some websites arbitrarily give these players?

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM

JUCO 5 stars = :rolleyes:

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Too late.

kcfan82
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
How do you qualify him being able to recruit? By athletes performance on the field, or the number of stars some websites arbitrarily give these players?

A little of both, but there isn't only recruiting and coaching. There is also the development factor in the weight room and on the practice field.

Seriously, Solich was fired a year too late. Callahan is going to get fired a year after he went to the Big 12 title game.

I'm sure the big names will be lining up for the Nebraska job next year.

kcfan82
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
JUCO 5 stars = :rolleyes:
Yeah, which makes 3 more 5 star recruits than Texas, whom puts out 350+ D1 athletes a year.

I'll take it ;)

kstater
10-24-2007, 08:38 PM

ROFL

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 11:05 PM

Recruiting is all Callahan can do. Callahan killed Bill Walsh.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 11:07 PM

The boosters are more than happy to help now that Tom Osborne is running the show.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 11:13 PM

You need to reread this thread, specifically my original letter to Callahan and then my second letter, post #137.

Baconeater
10-24-2007, 11:14 PM
A little of both, but there isn't only recruiting and coaching. There is also the development factor in the weight room and on the practice field.
And Callahan has proven he can't develop players. He had his best years with Solich's leftovers, especially on defense.

Seriously, Solich was fired a year too late. Callahan is going to get fired a year after he went to the Big 12 title game.
lol, he should have been in the CCG every year with as bad as the north division has been.

We don't need a big name, Steve Pedersen thought that and look what it got him. We need someone with an ounce of integrity and class who can friggin' coach.

Bowser
10-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Has anyone thrown Tom Rathman's name out there as a possible replacement for Callahan?

Baconeater
10-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Has anyone thrown Tom Rathman's name out there as a possible replacement for Callahan?
Some rumors have him as possible OC.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 11:18 PM
It's like reaching the conference title game was the team's Super Bowl. The same thing happened when Callahan was at Oakland.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 11:21 PM
The recruits have supposedly been sent a letter telling them to contact Tom Osborne, since he isn't allowed to call them. I like the sound of that.

Bowser
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
The recruits have supposedly been sent a letter telling them to contact Tom Osborne, since he isn't allowed to call them. I like the sound of that.

Better hope it works. Last I heard, your prize QB out of St. Louis is flirting with Mizzou....

Baconeater
10-24-2007, 11:29 PM
I honestly don't care, Callahan can take every one of his fire breathing studs with him and go suck with them somewhere else.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 11:34 PM
I honestly don't care, Callahan can take every one of his fire breathing studs with him and go suck with them somewhere else.

I know it's almost impossible to get excited about recruiting anymore, but now we may get a coach who can maximize the talent.

Sam Hall
10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Better hope it works. Last I heard, your prize QB out of St. Louis is flirting with Mizzou....

90 percent of our recruits are looking at other options, which they should because there's no guarantee the new coach will run a system that fits them. NU loses a few commits every year. I'd like to see a new coach arrive in early to middle December and have about two months before signing day.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I think the staff has an obligation to stay in contact with the recruits regardless of what the future holds. They're making a lot of money as football coaches. Don't tell me they can't find anything good to say about the program. If so, then that's a reflection of their character.

WilliamTheIrish
10-25-2007, 08:28 AM
You wanted them fired on 10-06-07 and on 10-22-07 you say "the staff has an obligation to stay in contact with recruits"

and then say:
"Callahan can take every one of his fire breathing studs with him and go suck with them somewhere else".

You're the absolute worst kind of fan.

kcfan82
10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
And Callahan has proven he can't develop players. He had his best years with Solich's leftovers, especially on defense.

lol, he should have been in the CCG every year with as bad as the north division has been.

We don't need a big name, Steve Pedersen thought that and look what it got him. We need someone with an ounce of integrity and class who can friggin' coach.

Bugeater,

I'm not sure where the preseason hype came from. This is his 4th year, he's not to the point where he is reloading. Our run defense was stout last year as shown in stats and OU and Auburn being forced to past in the 2nd half of the game last year to beat us. We lost 5 of our defensive front 7, we lost an NFL running back (as well as Glenn and Kenny Wilson) and we lost a QB with 2 years experience in the system.

Given those odds, I think the hype was this team was a little higher than expected. There has been some bad coaching, there has been poor execution by the players and there has been too much impatience and criticism by the fans.

In the long run, the fans being up in arms like this will probably cost Nebraska 2 more down years IMO.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 04:09 PM
You wanted them fired on 10-06-07 and on 10-22-07 you say

and then say:

those quotes are from two different people

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I expected to see a comment from two-faced Mizzou fan now that Gabbert has decommitted.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 04:16 PM
You wanted them fired on 10-06-07 and on 10-22-07 you say

and then say:

You're five times worse than Saul. It's not even close.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I expected to see a comment from two-faced Mizzou fan now that Gabbert has decommitted.
Mizzou can have them, he is overrated. I'd rather have Chris Harper.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Gabbert's decommit makes a lot more sense to me than Gray's. I don't know why Gray would switch to a 1-7 Notre Dame team. Does Gray think Nebraska won't have running backs next year.

Gray seems to be the recruit NU is least likely to reclaim. He had strong comments about the Domers. If you look at our decommits, most of them are on offense. I'd feel better knowing Callahan won't be my coach.

duncan_idaho
10-25-2007, 04:38 PM
This Mizzou fan will agree that Blaine Gabbert probably is overrated as a five-star. I've said that for a while, and what schools he is looking at have nothing to do with that opinion.

I think he's a four-star based on his tremendous physical talent. If his game ability were more developed, he'd undoubtedly be a true five star.

The key for Missouri with Gabbert is perception around the state and nationally. Land Gabbert, and all of a sudden Mizzou is locking down its border. Oh, and it helps that he's convinced LB Will Compton, WR Wes Kemp, and OL Bryce Givens and Trevor Robinson (both Neb. commits) to come take a look at Mizzou.

Saul - Chris Harper is sick. I would love to have him. Not sure the guy sticks as a QB in college, but he will be a top-level player no matter what position he plays. He reminds me a lot of Lamark Brown in terms of athletic profile and being so developed at such a young age.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 04:42 PM
This Mizzou fan will agree that Blaine Gabbert probably is overrated as a five-star. I've said that for a while, and what schools he is looking at have nothing to do with that opinion.

I think he's a four-star based on his tremendous physical talent. If his game ability were more developed, he'd undoubtedly be a true five star.

The key for Missouri with Gabbert is perception around the state and nationally. Land Gabbert, and all of a sudden Mizzou is locking down its border. Oh, and it helps that he's convinced LB Will Compton, WR Wes Kemp, and OL Bryce Givens and Trevor Robinson (both Neb. commits) to come take a look at Mizzou.

Saul - Chris Harper is sick. I would love to have him. Not sure the guy sticks as a QB in college, but he will be a top-level player no matter what position he plays. He reminds me a lot of Lamark Brown in terms of athletic profile and being so developed at such a young age.

Trevor Robinson hasn't been a Nebraska commit for a couple months now. He's taken about 100 unofficial visits to Notre Dame. His dad is big on the academics at Notre Dame, though Nebraska has about 50 more Academic All-Americans in its history than Notre Dame.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 04:44 PM
It's clear that Gabbert has a lot of talent no matter what people think. Daniel was a four-star.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
i dont really even care we lost Gabbert, because if thats what it takes to get callahan out, then so be it, there are other fishes in the pond

Saulbadguy
10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Givens will go to UT, IMO.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2007, 04:48 PM
i dont really even care we lost Gabbert, because if thats what it takes to get callahan out, then so be it, there are other fishes in the pond
ROFL

Saulbadguy
10-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Gabbert's decommit makes a lot more sense to me than Gray's. I don't know why Gray would switch to a 1-7 Notre Dame team. Does Gray think Nebraska won't have running backs next year.

Gray seems to be the recruit NU is least likely to reclaim. He had strong comments about the Domers. If you look at our decommits, most of them are on offense. I'd feel better knowing Callahan won't be my coach.
Notre Dame sucks, but at least they have a stable coaching situation right now.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 04:50 PM

I agree. Gabbert said he committed to Nebraska not because of the school, but because of the coaches. I wonder if he's OK with the offensive game plan lately.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
I recall Charlie Weiss being irked about a recruit who decommitted from his team last year. I believe the word he used was "honor." I wonder what he said to Jonas Gray.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Hey, this is North division champion Callahan. Flash in the pan, Husker fan.

Skip Towne
10-25-2007, 05:26 PM
I recall Charlie Weiss being irked about a recruit who decommitted from his team last year. I believe the word he used was "honor." I wonder what he said to Jonas Gray.
It just depends on whose dog gets hit in the butt with the rock.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2007, 05:35 PM
"Cash, check or charge?"

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 05:41 PM
"Cash, check or charge?"

"Wanna go with me to the buffet?"

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Jabba will gobble up your recruits

Spott
10-25-2007, 05:58 PM

If Gabbert wanted to be a QB at Nebraska, he probably wasn't that good anyways.

:)

Baconeater
10-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey, this is North division champion Callahan. Flash in the pan, Husker fan.
ROFL You've been listening to 1620 online, haven't you?

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
ROFL You've been listening to 1620 online, haven't you?

Absolutely. I love Bill in Lincoln ROFL

kcfan82
10-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I hope both of you have more of a life than Jed, who posts on the ESPN board.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 07:35 PM

I breathe football

leviw
10-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Mizzou can have them, he is overrated. I'd rather have Chris Harper.

Chris Harper is not a quarterback. A fantastic athlete, but not a quarterback. He'll be better served when he recognizes that himself

Baconeater
10-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Absolutely. I love Bill in Lincoln ROFL
I have no idea how they get away with some of that stuff. Ohhhhhh Adriannnn....

Baconeater
10-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Not really.

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Lou Holtz will deliver a pep talk to the Huskers at halftime of VT/BC :)

Baconeater
10-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Lou Holtz will deliver a pep talk to the Huskers at halftime of VT/BC :)
That should turn things around. :rolleyes:

kcfan82
10-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Like I said, you guys are welcome to come over to talkhuskers and the last group of rational Nebraska fans left.

Of course I'm sure you guys probably prefer RSS, where the new rumors pop up every 10 minutes.

I just heard Warren Buffett is wiring Bo Pelini 10 million via Paypal as a down payment.

Baconeater
10-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Like I said, you guys are welcome to come over to talkhuskers and the last group of rational Nebraska fans left.

Of course I'm sure you guys probably prefer RSS, where the new rumors pop up every 10 minutes.

I just heard Warren Buffett is wiring Bo Pelini 10 million via Paypal as a down payment.
Heh, I've already been banned at two Husker message boards, might as well go for the trifecta.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Chris Harper is not a quarterback. A fantastic athlete, but not a quarterback. He'll be better served when he recognizes that himself
Just don't tell him that until he has committed - and redshirted.

Have you watched him play, 'vi?

kcfan82
10-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Neither was Vince Young, but he finally broke Texas's 30+ year drought of a NC.

KChiefs1
10-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I've been reading the Tigerboard & it appears that Nebraska is losing a ton of recruits to Mizzou. Wow! Who would have ever thought that?

kcfan82
10-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I've been reading the Tigerboard & it appears that Nebraska is losing a ton of recruits to Mizzou. Wow! Who would have ever thought that?

It started when Martin Rucker betrayed his brother, because Solich couldn't recruit an alcholic to a liquor store.

leviw
10-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Just don't tell him that until he has committed - and redshirted.

Have you watched him play, 'vi?

Three times. Just don't see it at quarterback, but he's a good kid and...yeah, again...tremendous athlete.

K-State would be in great shape in 2009 with Harper at WR and Lamark Brown at LB.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Three times. Just don't see it at quarterback, but he's a good kid and...yeah, again...tremendous athlete.

K-State would be in great shape in 2009 with Harper at WR and Arthur Brown at LB.
FYP

: pray :

Haha...

Sam Hall
10-25-2007, 09:39 PM

None of them have committed to Mizzou yet. Gabbert may eventually, but it sounds like he and Compton will give the new staff a chance. Bryce Givens is still a Husker commit.

kcfan82
10-25-2007, 09:41 PM
None of them have committed to Mizzou yet. Gabbert may eventually, but it sounds like he and Compton will give the new staff a chance. Bryce Givens is still a Husker commit.

Maybe, the staff hasn't even been fired yet.

DJ Woods is gone FYI, I hope you and the Callahan haters enjoy the free fall.