PDA

View Full Version : So....

keg in kc
10-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Will next weekend be the first blackout in years and years?

Otter
10-07-2007, 05:11 PM
If it invokes change, I certainly hope so.

Fire Me Boy!
10-07-2007, 05:17 PM
In a word... no.

There are two stations in Kansas City that will buy any tickets to prevent a blackout. The advertising revenue is worth WAY more than the cost of the tickets.

Buck
10-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Aren't all of your tickets sold out before the season begins?

They were here this year.

keg in kc
10-07-2007, 05:26 PM
In a word... no.

There are two stations in Kansas City that will buy any tickets to prevent a blackout. The advertising revenue is worth WAY more than the cost of the tickets.
I think that's probably true next week, but that may not necessarily be true for the remainder of the season. If the Chiefs go in the tank, they'll be responsible for 10s of thousands of tickets, every week. I know from personal experience there was a good bit of debate over buying tickets behind the scenes at channel 5 back when the team was struggling during Gun's tenure in '99 and '00. Of course, maybe things have changed in the last 7 or 8 years. I know the management certainly has.

Either way, I think it's more of long-term issue now than it's been at any point recently. This Chiefs have been hemorrhaging fans since about '04. I think odds may be better than even we see our first blackout in '07 if this team continues to circle the bowl. I don't know if we can count on local TV bailing us out for the forseeable future.

Hopefully they do.

Terribilis
10-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Aren't all of your tickets sold out before the season begins?

They were here this year.

That is a good illustration of how much Carlm have demolished the spirit of chiefs fans...

Fire Me Boy!
10-07-2007, 06:10 PM
I think that's probably true next week, but that may not necessarily be true for the remainder of the season. If the Chiefs go in the tank, they'll be responsible for 10s of thousands of tickets, every week. I know from personal experience there was a good bit of debate over buying tickets behind the scenes at channel 5 back when the team was struggling during Gun's tenure in '99 and '00. Of course, maybe things have changed in the last 7 or 8 years. I know the management certainly has.

Either way, I think it's more of long-term issue now than it's been at any point recently. This Chiefs have been hemorrhaging fans since about '04. I think odds may be better than even we see our first blackout in '07 if this team continues to circle the bowl. I don't know if we can count on local TV bailing us out for the forseeable future.

Hopefully they do.
Nope. The team will give them a cut rate to be able to claim the sellout. They did this in Vermiel's first season when we were 6-10. This team will win more than 6 games.

I'll make a bet (and I won't welsh on it, either) that we will not see a blackout this season. You name the odds, I'll take it. No cash involved, I don't be money that I don't have.

ROYC75
10-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Nope ......... Croyle will be our QB, they will want to see what he can do the whole game.

DaFace
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
The Chiefs haven't been advertising this game at all with their packages on KCChiefs.com, so I'd assume that the game is already pretty close to sold out.

kcpasco
10-07-2007, 06:24 PM
The Bungholes are a really good test for our offense, if we can't muster some TD's against their D then we truly are the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

blueballs
10-07-2007, 06:25 PM
There are probably enough Chad Johnson groupies

keg in kc
10-07-2007, 06:28 PM
I'll make a bet (and I won't welsh on it, either) that we will not see a blackout this season. You name the odds, I'll take it. No cash involved, I don't be money that I don't have.I don't make bets. And on this, in particular, I don't have a vested interest either way, nor do I disagree all that strongly. It's just something I'm curious about.

That said, i think there's a big, big difference between this year and 2001. The attitude of the fanbase is clearly more negative now that at any point in my experience, and Herm Edwards is not nearly as popular as Dick Vermeil was. People were excited about that team and encouraged by the future; I don't sense that at all now. I think the Chiefs fanbase in general is pretty unhappy now, and does not expect much to improve down the road (I don't think I'm projecting - I like Herm and think we're headed in the right direction), and I don't think it's a coincidence that we're seeing and hearing more pawning of Chiefs tickets (by the team) on TV and radio every year. If the viewership of Chiefs games begins to wane (and that may happen this year, who knows...), advertising revenue will be impacted, and I think at that point, all bets are off.

In any case, the streak will end at some point,. They all do. Whether that's this year or 10 years from now, I have no way of knowing. I do think we're at greater risk of it now than we have been anytime recently, and if the team doesn't start winning (and not just in the regular season), it'll be sooner rather than later.