PDA

View Full Version : Reason the Chiefs lost today.....

RedThat
10-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Jacksonville simply came into arrowhead and controlled the game. They dictated the tempo of the game. I think they demonstrated a classic example to Herm and his staff about what ball control is all about. I think they did what a good road team is supposed to do, not turn the ball over. They physically outplayed us in every aspect today. I really think if the Chiefs had scored on the opening drive of the game, that would changed the tempo of the game in their favor. Because I don't see Jacksonville as a come from behind type of team.

I think Jacksonville exploited our team's defense very successfully today. Props to them. They executed in critical situations especially on 3rd down. Which created and sustained very long drives. The Chiefs decided to play a cover 2 most of the time, and they methodically killed us. We kept giving them yards underneath, and they executed just well enough. That's just an example of great coaching too on their part.

I think our offense was out of rhythm because there defense did what they wanted to do to us, put us into 3rd and long situations. And I didn't interpret that as a good thing when watching the Chiefs.

Their special teams, hey, hats off to their punter man. He was awesome.
He pinned that ball deep into the Chiefs territory a good 2,3 times today making it harder for our offense.

*Jacksonville just simply did what they wanted to do to us. Del Rio outcoached Herm in this one. Jacksonville is the team the Chiefs want to be, except they are smarter and better at what they want to do then the Chiefs are.

Basileus777
10-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't think it was so much a matter of coaching. Del Rio didn't dominate our oline in the trenches. Del Rio didn't make our dline a non-factor. The Jags just out-executed us.

CoMoChief
10-07-2007, 05:37 PM
That and we can't run the ball worth a shit.

RustShack
10-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Is it true that Huard will be out next week and Croyle will get the start? Does anyone know, or is there still a good chance that worthless will still be the starter?

RedThat
10-07-2007, 05:40 PM

LJ needs an attitude adjustment and the runblocking has to get better.

DaKCMan AP
So Maurice Jones-Drew dragging 5 guys and breaking tackles = Jack Del Rio out-coaching Herm Edwards? Ok.

KcMizzou
We got thumped by a better team.

That's all.

RedThat
10-07-2007, 05:42 PM
So Maurice Jones-Drew dragging 5 guys and breaking tackles = Jack Del Rio out-coaching Herm Edwards? Ok.

You want to use that as an example? Are you trying to prove me wrong?

Because I can use another example in the game where Edwards got outcoached.

Zouk
10-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I think that team looks very much like what Herm is trying to build here. The difference is Del Rio in his 5th year there, and Herm is only in his 2nd year here. But all of you saying how great a job Del Rio did today would have been calling for his head at multiple points during the 4 plus years it took to build that team if you were Jags fans.

suds79
10-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Yup. That pretty much sums it up.

Every week is going to be hard to get a W as long as that holds up.

I'm really starting to wonder if our offensive line is the worse in the NFL. Their run blocking is just atrocious every single week.

DaKCMan AP
10-07-2007, 05:44 PM
You want to use that as an example? Are you trying to prove me wrong?

Because I can use another example in the game where Edwards got outcoached.

Like the opening drive? That missed FG was completely bad coaching.

KcMizzou
10-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I think that team looks very much like what Herm is trying to build here. The difference is Del Rio in his 5th year there, and Herm is only in his 2nd year here. But all of you saying how great a job Del Rio did today would have been calling for his head at multiple points during the 4 plus years it took to build that team if you were Jags fans.Good post. I agree.

RedThat
10-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I think that team looks very much like what Herm is trying to build here. The difference is Del Rio in his 5th year there, and Herm is only in his 2nd year here. But all of you saying how great a job Del Rio did today would have been calling for his head at multiple points during the 4 plus years it took to build that team if you were Jags fans.

Del Rio has the QB that fits perfectly with what they want to do. Chiefs don't.

That is the biggest difference right there.

Hydrae
10-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Yes, because Del Rio got MoJo pumped and ready for the game. Obviously Herm failed to do that with LJ.

As to the comment about execution, that again is on the coaches. These guys know how to play the game by the time the get to this level. At this point the main thing the coach does is motivate his players. I think it is painfully obvious that at least some of this team (Yes, I am looking at you Larry. So what, you really going to do anything about it?) does not buy into what Herm is selling. This would explain why we come out so flat at the beginning of EVERY game this year.

When only 1/2 your team is up for the game, you are going to see very mixed results. Sound familiar? I have to believe that Herm is well on his way to losing a large part of this locker room if he hasn't already.

RedThat
10-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Like the opening drive? That missed FG was completely bad coaching.

How about the shovel pass on the 3rd down? excellent play call on a blitz.

DaKCMan AP
10-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Precisely. I would hope, however, to have a better QB than anything Jax has had throughout Del Rio's tenure.

Zouk
Del Rio has the QB that fits perfectly with what they want to do. Chiefs don't.

That is the biggest difference right there.

QB is part of the problem, no doubt. I am extremely jealous of the mobile QB who makes good decisions. Not many guys like that in the league.

MichaelH
The Jags coaches and players showed what ball control, time management and effective play calling can do. All the things Hermie takes pride in but rarely manages to do.

suds79
10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Yes, because Del Rio got MoJo pumped and ready for the game. Obviously Herm failed to do that with LJ.

As to the comment about execution, that again is on the coaches. These guys know how to play the game by the time the get to this level. At this point the main thing the coach does is motivate his players. I think it is painfully obvious that at least some of this team (Yes, I am looking at you Larry. So what, you really going to do anything about it?) does not buy into what Herm is selling. This would explain why we come out so flat at the beginning of EVERY game this year.

When only 1/2 your team is up for the game, you are going to see very mixed results. Sound familiar? I have to believe that Herm is well on his way to losing a large part of this locker room if he hasn't already.

Really??? Are you serious? You think that Jones-Drew got lose today because Del Rio motivated him correctly? Furthermore, LJ got shut down because Herm didn't motivate him correctly? Come on man. Was Jones-Drew touched on that long TD run? That line was opening holes all day and LJ's wasn't.

BigRedChief
10-07-2007, 05:53 PM
We have to run block if we expect to win in the NFL.

We have to throw the ball downfield. Those 15-30 yard pass plays to start the game were great but then we went back to the 2-6 yard pass play. In a sense using it as our running game.

To spread an NFL defense out to where your WR's can work the gaps and holes you have to throw the ball downfield. How many throws were to Bowe in the first half? You have to give your playmakers a chance to make a play.

Oh Snap
10-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Jacksonville might be better, but the chiefs certianly helped them out by not spreading the ball out on offense.

The chiefs defense giving up 17 total points is usually a winnable game.. we just didnt execute on the offensive end.

Oh Snap
10-07-2007, 05:56 PM
we gave up 1 point more then we did to the chargers a week ago..we were playing at home. I wouldnt say jacksonville is better if at all then the cheifs are.

ROYC75
10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
We got thumped by a better team.

That's all.

This is it, we are not a good team at all ......

Zouk
10-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Jacksonville might be better, but the chiefs certianly helped them out by not spreading the ball out on offense.

The chiefs defense giving up 17 total points is usually a winnable game.. we just didnt execute on the offensive end.

We couldn't block them when they were tight in, what makes you think we could pass block when we were spread out?

Why is the answer to our offensive problems always the run n' shoot?

cdcox
10-07-2007, 06:10 PM

Del Rio's first 4 years:

5-11
9-7
12-4
8-8

He improved each of his first 3 years. Started playing with a young QB right out of the gate, then was not afraid to switch to another one when he could see that Letwhich was not the answer.

I don't see the comparison between him and Herm and the path they are taking.

But I still don't look to that franchise as a model for building a dynasty, which is what you should be doing in my opinion.

Hydrae
10-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Really??? Are you serious? You think that Jones-Drew got lose today because Del Rio motivated him correctly? Furthermore, LJ got shut down because Herm didn't motivate him correctly? Come on man. Was Jones-Drew touched on that long TD run? That line was opening holes all day and LJ's wasn't.

Totally serious. It is not just which RB was motivated, it was which team was up for the game. I am down here in Texas and work on Sundays so have not gotten to see much of the Chiefs this year. It doesn't seem very "team" oriented right now to me. How many times are these guys playing with emotion as a group? Not a few individuals here and there but the whole team.

But when I read about how LJ steps out of bounds instead of finishing off a run while also hearing Lenny going on and on about Mojo dragging guys behind him, yeah that is about motivation. If LJ can't get up for the game on his own then guess what? His coach has to know this is an issue and deal with it accordingly. If he can't get himself up for the game then it is up to the coach to climb up his ass if need be. Same thing for the linemen.

The difference between the best and worst team in this league is a small margin. An NFL coach is not there to teach these guys how to play, they already know that or they wouldn't be at this level. An NFL coach is there to put the guys in a position to win and encourage them to give 110% every play. When people are looking lost on the field, that is the coach. When guys play at 1/2 speed, that is the coach. If the guys on the field can not get the job done, that is the coach!

Zouk
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Del Rio's first 4 years:

5-11
9-7
12-4
8-8

He improved each of his first 3 years. Started playing with a young QB right out of the gate, then was not afraid to switch to another one when he could see that Letwhich was not the answer.

I don't see the comparison between him and Herm and the path they are taking.

But I still don't look to that franchise as a model for building a dynasty, which is what you should be doing in my opinion.

So all Herm had to do to impress you was win 5 or less last year so he could "show improvement" later on?

I've been through the history with Herm - he had comparable talent to Del Rio and he consistently went further with it over the last 5 years. (He also beat him with inferior talent to make the playoffs in week 17 last year).

The comparability I was referring to is that they both believe in winning with physical defense, stopping the run, and running the ball. They both lean on cover 2 principles. And neither believe in the theory that you don't need to run to win, temporarily made popular last year by those that felt that Eric Mangini and Sean Payton had re-invented football.

cdcox
10-07-2007, 06:28 PM
So all Herm had to do to impress you was win 5 or less last year so he could "show improvement" later on?

I've been through the history with Herm - he had comparable talent to Del Rio and he consistently went further with it over the last 5 years. (He also beat him with inferior talent to make the playoffs in week 17 last year).

The comparability I was referring to is that they both believe in winning with physical defense, stopping the run, and running the ball. They both lean on cover 2 principles. And neither believe in the theory that you don't need to run to win, temporarily made popular last year by those that felt that Eric Mangini and Sean Payton had re-invented football.

I was never a Herm fan and probably never will be. I don't agree with his philosophy, I don't like the people he hires as assistants, and I don't think he manages a game well.

Physical defense, stopping the run, and running the ball are all essential. But that is not enough. But all of the dynasty teams of the last 20 years have also been prolific in the passing game. You can't be one dimensional once you make the playoffs. The competition is too stiff.