PDA

View Full Version : The Great Chiefs Road Trip 2007

Calcountry
10-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Wow, what a day, where do I begin.

The Roosters started crowing at about 5 this morning and as was planned, I awoke, got the kid in the already tightly packed car and headed off on the Road trip to Missouri/Kansas to have fun, food, relatives, and a Chiefs football game.

By Bakersfield I had found a strong Nascar station to listen to, I mean, Matt Kenseth is from there. As we pass into the Tehachapi mountain range the signal for the race faded right about time for the green flag, so its time for the search feature. OMG! I find a solid channel that has the westwood one game on it it it is the Chiefs/Jags!!! no freaking way, whats the score; whats the score!?

10-0 zip Jags. O.K., it's Herms game plan again. I am sorry to say, that listening to the rest of that game did not keep me very distracted on a long drive through the high desert around Barstow. Perhaps maybe it isn't too late, I can turn back now, and make it home in time for work. NOT! I am having way too much fun so far.

Stopped at a fruit stand,(insert fruits and nuts joke here), picked up some raw Orange blossom honey. I can't wait to try that out. For the immediate sweet tooth needs, some awesome red seedless grapes did the trick.

Well, that is all for now. I will try to include some pics (cell phone Quality, sorry, I'm not big on photography) of places we go and give you updates on the trip. I will be attempting to meed a few planeteers on the way and in and around KC. In between I am squeezing in next weeks Bengals Chiefs game. I have 2 tix waiting at my nephews house.

It would be cool if the mods would sticky this. I hope I am not out of line with this, I feel like such an outsider sometimes. Drop me a line, maybe I can swing by and see some of you. It might be your only chance to meet the turd herder in person. :D

HonestChieffan
10-07-2007, 08:26 PM
too many fresh grapes makes one verry poopy

Calcountry
10-07-2007, 09:29 PM
too many fresh grapes makes one verry poopyAre you trying to say this is a poop thread?

Well, I just got done with a swim at the HI exp indoor pool.

Nice. Ready for another Coca Cola 600 tomorrow. Should be able to make Albuquerque or Amarillo by then.

Phobia
10-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Are you trying to say this is a poop thread?

Well, I just got done with a swim at the HI exp indoor pool.

Nice. Ready for another Coca Cola 600 tomorrow. Should be able to make Albuquerque or Amarillo by then.
Make Albuquerque for the sunset. I love driving through there at dusk.

Calcountry
10-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Make Albuquerque for the sunset. I love driving through there at dusk.Maybe I can play center for your football team?

One snap at least, I hear you guys are pretty rough. Me, I am just a puss.

HonestChieffan
10-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Push on to Amarillo so you can get out of there before daylight. Nothing to see east of Amarillo.

Baconeater
10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Sorry Bunny, but the state of Missouri is going to be closed for the next 2 weeks for cleaning and repair.

Calcountry
10-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Sorry Bunny, but the state of Missouri is going to be closed for the next 2 weeks for cleaning and repair.Heheh, do you want the same reaction as Chevy did at Wally world?

I believe in criticising the coach to his face.

Calcountry
10-08-2007, 09:07 AM
4 tires and fuel boys, I'm hittin the road now. Talk to you where I turn up next. Bye.

Dartgod
10-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Make Albuquerque for the sunset. I love driving through there at dusk.
Good idea. And then he can make it to Amarillo by morning.

underEJ
10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Ick Amarillo. Hang a left at Tucumcari, and enter Kansas at Liberal. It's a much nicer drive, and less time, although you do have to go through about 20 minutes of stinky feed lots in Texas.

Really nice people all the way through, and better eats than interstate fast food stops.

Bill Parcells
10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Have fun, Bunny. enjoy your trip! :toast:

Adept Havelock
10-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Safe trip to you. Have fun.

Phobia
10-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah, definitely come play some football with us Saturday.

Dartgod
10-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Good idea. And then he can make it to Amarillo by morning.
*crickets*

Damn, I figured I'd get a groan or something.

Phobia
10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Groan

chief52
10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
By Bakersfield I had found a strong Nascar station to listen to, I mean, Matt Kenseth is from there. :D

Well, not quite bunnytrdr. Matt Kenseth is from Wisconsin and is a big Packer fan.

Kevin Harvick is from Bakersfield.

Hope you are having a great trip.

Calcountry
10-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, not quite bunnytrdr. Matt Kenseth is from Wisconsin and is a big Packer fan.

Kevin Harvick is from Bakersfield.

Hope you are having a great trip.I am new to Nascar this year, and I get those 2 confused. Thanks for the correction.

Well, I drove hard today, but we stopped a lot, so we didn't get as far as we hoped. Had to settle for a Santa Rosa. There are a couple of Dudes here that remind me of Phobia and Endelt tying on a good one about a few doors down. Hopefully they will be cool so I can get a nights rest. They looked like they were just chillin so no wars yet.

Calcountry
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Ick Amarillo. Hang a left at Tucumcari, and enter Kansas at Liberal. It's a much nicer drive, and less time, although you do have to go through about 20 minutes of stinky feed lots in Texas.

Really nice people all the way through, and better eats than interstate fast food stops.The left on 54 is still an option. I have traveled that route many times in my youth on the way to KC. Lots of wheat, then a silo, then wheat, then silo, then wheat, then silo, then wheat, then silo, then wheat, then Pratt, then wheat, then silo, then wheat, then silo, then wheat, then Wichita.

No thanks.

Dartgod
10-08-2007, 10:01 PM
GroanThanks.

Really.

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Another day of hard driving as we decided to save the sight seeing for the return trip. Better to do that when you don't really want to make it home.

So, here I am in Tulsa planning my next move. Hehehe

Bob Dole
10-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Another day of hard driving as we decided to save the sight seeing for the return trip. Better to do that when you don't really want to make it home.

So, here I am in Tulsa planning my next move. Hehehe

Suggested next move:

Get the hell out of Tulsa.

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Suggested next move:

Get the hell out of Tulsa.I was thinking, that after I kick this old farts ass here, I woul head to Texarkana(sp)

Bob Dole
10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I was thinking, that after I kick this old farts ass here, I woul head to Texarkana(sp)

Cool. Come down Will Rogers to Indian Nation. Take 271 to 82 east to I-30 east.

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Look, what the heck is it with the traffic engineers in this state. You have a freeway running at the same level as the city streets with about 3 yards of grass separating the surface street from the freeway? wtf?

Then the exit ramps, its like, yank the wheel a little to the right and bam, you are on the street heading 50 in a 25 zone. Have you okies ever heard of a "deceleration ramp"? It's quite a concept. :p

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Cool. Come down Will Rogers to Indian Nation. Take 271 to 82 east to I-30 east.I heard there was another old fart there, but is generally too nice to drive out of my way to drug him and shave his beloved eye brows.

:p

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I have to go swimming with my boy, bee back in about an hour. :D

Skip Towne
10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I have to go swimming with my boy, bee back in about an hour. :D
Well, bee careful. There aren't any signs telling you where the water starts. Check your PMs.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
10-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Dude, whatever you do, don't hang a left at Albuquerque.

It got Bugs into trouble every time he did.

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, bee careful. There aren't any signs telling you where the water starts. Check your PMs.This hotels pools are about as good as my spelling bee.

The pool was 90 degrees, and the "hot" tub was 70 degrees.

I checked my P.M. Thanks for replying, I will be moving north towards K.C. as it gets closer to game time.

Seriously thinking about showing up at the Raytown football game on Saturday.

Anyone have an address I can google to that place?

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Dude, whatever you do, don't hang a left at Albuquerque.

It got Bugs into trouble every time he did.That would just cause you to end up in Santa Fe. lmao.

Skip Towne
10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
This hotels pools are about as good as my spelling bee.

The pool was 90 degrees, and the "hot" tub was 70 degrees.

I checked my P.M. Thanks for replying, I will be moving north towards K.C. as it gets closer to game time.

Get a blanket if you don't have one. It was 45 degrees this morning.

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Get a blanket if you don't have one. It was 45 degrees this morning.It was chilly, chill in New Mexico this morning too. There is a frontal system moving through Norcal right now, coul get real cold by game time.

We have decided to visit some kin in Springfield tomorrow, then head up north towards Cole Camp.

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 09:21 PM
It was chilly, chill in New Mexico this morning too. There is a frontal system moving through Norcal right now, coul get real cold by game time.

We have decided to visit some kin in Springfield tomorrow, then head up north towards Cole Camp.the D on my keyboard is screwing up. ::banghead:

Phobia
10-09-2007, 09:48 PM

I dunno. Have you tried googling Raytown South High School yet?

Calcountry
10-09-2007, 10:29 PM
I dunno. Have you tried googling Raytown South High School yet?O.K. smartass. All I have ever heard you all say was "Raytown south". I didn't know you were refering to a High School, or a park, or a neighborhood or WTF?

Whatever.

Phobia
10-09-2007, 10:48 PM
O.K. smartass. All I have ever heard you all say was "Raytown south". I didn't know you were refering to a High School, or a park, or a neighborhood or WTF?

Whatever.

Heh. Fair enough. Be safe.

Calcountry
10-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Heh. Fair enough. Be safe.It's just that kind of talk, that makes me want to come out of retirement and play some football with ya ;)

THanks for the kind words. If I can make it at all, I will stop by Raytown south High School.

Checking out for now.

HemiEd
10-10-2007, 09:38 AM
It's just that kind of talk, that makes me want to come out of retirement and play some football with ya ;)

THanks for the kind words. If I can make it at all, I will stop by Raytown south High School.

Checking out for now.

So you went to Tulsa, but didn't want to turn left at Tucumcari? LMAO

BigRedChief
10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
What are you doing about tailgating on Sunday?

Your welcome to stop by my tailgate.

Calcountry
10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
What are you doing about tailgating on Sunday?

Your welcome to stop by my tailgate.I sure was hoping for some Missourian hospitality. Thanks for the invite, I would love to. Please PM e your cell number.

BTW. I got out of Tulsa, nothing to see there, but it was a cheap bed an continental breakfast for a road weary traveler.

This morning, I met up with a childhood friend for an hour. Had a great visit for about an hour. I was very happy he could squeeze me into his busy schedule. I hadn't seen the dude in over 20 years.

He was originally from the SW Missouri area, and moved out to Norcal in the 6th grade, and we were buds all through HS, then they moved back and that was that.

I took my mom around her old Neck of the woods north of Springfield, and I mean woods. Man, the ghosts were heavy around there as she reminisced one story, and one long gone person who use to live here and there, after another. Then the day came to a climax, as we drove past the cemetery where both my grandparents were laid to rest. I had to flip a u, cause I went past the place, and unlike California, you can't just veer off the road and flip, you have to find someones driveway to drive through to get yourself in position to go back. Unless you want to leave the Honda in the ditch of course.

I was never able to attend either of the funerals, due to costs to travel suddenly all the way back here. It was a very emotional moment for me as it was a fulfillment of a commitment that I had made to myself; that I would visit the grave site sometime before I died.

Skip Towne
10-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I sure was hoping for some Missourian hospitality. Thanks for the invite, I would love to. Please PM e your cell number.

BTW. I got out of Tulsa, nothing to see there, but it was a cheap bed an continental breakfast for a road weary traveler.

This morning, I met up with a childhood friend for an hour. Had a great visit for about an hour. I was very happy he could squeeze me into his busy schedule. I hadn't seen the dude in over 20 years.

He was originally from the SW Missouri area, and moved out to Norcal in the 6th grade, and we were buds all through HS, then they moved back and that was that.

I took my mom around her old Neck of the woods north of Springfield, and I mean woods. Man, the ghosts were heavy around there as she reminisced one story, and one long gone person who use to live here and there, after another. Then the day came to a climax, as we drove past the cemetery where both my grandparents were laid to rest. I had to flip a u, cause I went past the place, and unlike California, you can't just veer off the road and flip, you have to find someones driveway to drive through to get yourself in position to go back. Unless you want to leave the Honda in the ditch of course.

I was never able to attend either of the funerals, due to costs to travel suddenly all the way back here. It was a very emotional moment for me as it was a fulfillment of a commitment that I had made to myself; that I would visit the grave site sometime before I died.
So you can't drive in Oklahoma or Missouri. Nice, Clevis.

Calcountry
10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
So you can't drive in Oklahoma or Missouri. Nice, Clevis.Not only that, while I was hooking up the lunch with my REAL friend, I forgot to go in the cash lane on the pike so I will probably get a notice from some Okie wanting me to pay the $3.50.

Skip Towne
10-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Not only that, while I was hooking up the lunch with my REAL friend, I forgot to go in the cash lane on the pike so I will probably get a notice from some Okie wanting me to pay the $3.50.
You took the Pikepass lane with no pikepass? That's a couple hundy if they got a pic. You really shouldn't be on the road.

Calcountry
10-10-2007, 07:20 PM
You took the Pikepass lane with no pikepass? That's a couple hundy if they got a pic. You really shouldn't be on the road.Seriously? I stopped at the next exit and paid the toll and saved the receipts. It was an honest mistake by an out of state resident. Does Oklahoma really like to shit on their guests like that? Fat chance I ever spend a dime in the state again.

Skip Towne
10-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Seriously? I stopped at the next exit and paid the toll and saved the receipts. It was an honest mistake by an out of state resident. Does Oklahoma really like to shit on their guests like that? Fat chance I ever spend a dime in the state again.
I don't know how they treat out of staters. They'll rack your ass for that though if you're local.

Calcountry
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't know how they treat out of staters. They'll rack your ass for that though if you're local.I have no doubt about that. That is why I paid the toll. The lady sounded like it happens all the time and said if I saved the receipts, there shouldn't be a problem.

I was hoping you would take the bait and inform me of the consequences if I didn't pay. Thanks, I was really curious about that.

I knew if I asked you directly, you wouldn't give up the info. Played you like a fiddle.

Skip Towne
10-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I have no doubt about that. That is why I paid the toll. The lady sounded like it happens all the time and said if I saved the receipts, there shouldn't be a problem.

I was hoping you would take the bait and inform me of the consequences if I didn't pay. Thanks, I was really curious about that.

I knew if I asked you directly, you wouldn't give up the info. Played you like a fiddle.
You've got to quit driving in peoples yards and exiting the Interstate at unsafe speeds. And trying to dodge the tolls is a no-no. Where did you get your drivers license.....Wheaties box tops?

HemiEd
10-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Does Oklahoma really like to shit on their guests like that?

You should feel fortunate, a trooper didn't pull you over and get all deliverance with you. I would skip that state on the way back if I was you. :thumb:

BigRedChief
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I sure was hoping for some Missourian hospitality. Thanks for the invite, I would love to. Please PM e your cell number.

I took my mom around her old Neck of the woods north of Springfield, and I mean woods.
Born and raised in Springfield myself.
Here's the map to the tailgate:
http://eteamz.active.com/lscardinals/images/Xmarks_the_tailgate_spot_small.jpg

Calcountry
10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
You should feel fortunate, a trooper didn't pull you over and get all deliverance with you. I would skip that state on the way back if I was you. :thumb:Yep, nothing but route 54 to Tucumcari on the way back. I only have to hold my nose for a few minutes as I cross the piss handle.

Baconeater
10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
You should feel fortunate, a trooper didn't pull you over and get all deliverance with you. I would skip that state on the way back if I was you. :thumb:
Heh no kidding, that what he gets for driving through those redneck states. Interstate 80 through Nebraska is free and has a 75 mph speed limit.

HemiEd
10-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Yep, nothing but route 54 to Tucumcari on the way back. I only have to hold my nose for a few minutes as I cross the piss handle.
LMAO

BigRedChief
10-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Got to see the elusive bunnytrdr on Sunday at my tailgate on Sunday. He's a good guy.

We had a lot of first timers at this week's game/tailgate.

Buster's son stopped by and tailgated with us. Maverick, FDE, KC Dan and Dartgod also stopped by.

Hydrae
10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Got to see the elusive bunnytrdr on Sunday at my tailgate on Sunday. He's a good guy.

We had a lot of first timers at this week's game/tailgate.

Buster's son stopped by and tailgated with us. Maverick, FDE, KC Dan and Dartgod also stopped by.

Someday I will make the pilgrimage to Arrowhead. One of the things on my list to do is to stop by your tailgate, for sure!

Calcountry
10-15-2007, 08:32 PM
1-0

That is my record at Arrowhead, and it is gonna stay that way for a while. I could try to race the team back to Oakland and watch them 2 weeks in a row, but the stench of the Oakland Coliseum with drunken Raiders fans is too much to fathom.

Much thanks to Big red, how's those Sirloins by the way?

I went to the Gas station to score some ice for the ice chest, and the Radio had that old school song on, "Take the long way home", so guess what, I guess I have to follow the advice.

I must say, that the people of Missouri are very friendly and hospitable. The people that parked next to us offered their grill to us after they were done if we couldn't hook up with BRC. The Chick that was sitting there after I found BRC, but on the way back to my car to pick up the steaks, had pitty on me and gave me 3 beers ;)

FDE and X factor were cool, there are a lot of pics in peoples cameras so if you want to post them up here that would be cool as I am not much into photography and my phone has been in the water and it doesn't take good pics anymore, but it still works. That is all for now, will post some more on the way home if you all want.

1-0 baby!1111! Row 40 in section 324, 40 yard line. Not a bad seat in the house, but I did get my cardio in.

Hydrae
10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
That is all for now, will post some more on the way home if you all want.

Absolutely! Road trip posts can be lots of fun. Just be sure to point out anything quirky you spot to help keep Rainman entertained. :)

Oh, and have a safe trip back to the home place!

Calcountry
10-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Today, I drove the wheels off the Honda. Started in Liberty Mo @ about 7:30 a.m. and drove over 800 miles to Tucumcari New Mexico.

I ate at a restaurant on the old Route 66. On the back of the menu, it explained how the town got its name. Anyone interested?

lol.

Lots of aquatic stretching of the legs in the pool and sauna. You can get pretty stiff driving like that(Luv, don't get any ideas now.)

Calcountry
10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Well, the trip is almost over, today we are in Williams, Az. and are enjoying a little down time. We are going to go up and take in the beautiful Grand Canyon. I will attempt not to upload some pics. We wouldn't want this thread to be worthless without them. ;)

Calcountry
10-18-2007, 09:38 AM
This is me standing in front of the big rigs at the first Missouri rest area on the 44 up from Tulsa.

Calcountry
10-18-2007, 09:40 AM
They were stomping on a stuffed kitty cat doing a war dance, it was mega cool.

Bob Dole
10-18-2007, 04:54 PM
This is me standing in front of the big rigs at the first Missouri rest area on the 44 up from Tulsa.

You look very happy to be there.

Dartgod
10-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I just have this picture of FDE and bunnytrdr to add...

Bob Dole
10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
I just have this picture of FDE and bunnytrdr to add...

That doesn't look like the same guy.

Calcountry
10-20-2007, 11:53 AM
You look very happy to be there.1800 miles in the car with your son and mother will do that to you. ;)

I have a few pics of the grand Canyon that will be cool, but I am back at work on Saturday, and the Road trip is officially over. The car is only partially unpacked though. It's kind of like, I need my toothbrush. Oh yeah, go get it out of the car.

It is still a possibility to go to the Raider game tomorrow, lol.

I also could have turned north to Vegas and hooked up with the guys there. Thought about it for a quick second, but got over it.

Calcountry
10-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Here is some view.

Wish you could smell the crisp fresh air that I experienced when I took these.

Calcountry
10-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Looking down

Calcountry
10-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I just have this picture of FDE and bunnytrdr to add...Dude, I was very surprised when I met you. You look just like you do in your avatar.