PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experience problems with XviD

Baby Lee
10-08-2007, 11:28 AM
For the first time ever, this weekend I got bad stuttering problems with my PC playback of OTA HD content.

And this is BAD stutter, locking up the system in both MCE and WMP11 for several minutes before you can even pause the playback or close the window.

So I have ASUS P4PE w/P4 2.4, 1 Gb PC2700, All-inWonder 9800Pro and HDTV Wonder.

First thought, I was playing recent shows DVRed when I wasn't around. Maybe the computer was slogged at the time of recording.

Well, all the older shows which I've partially viewed in the past and know to be in good shape stutter too.

Maybe a defrag? Ran it, no avail.

Maybe too many background programs? Closed stuff until system idle was reliably at 95% No avail.

Maybe I lost DMA on the drives. Intel Application Accel says all are DMA 5, except the DVD player at DMA 4.

Maybe IAA is messed up. Uninstall, verify DMA 5 in the control panel.

Maybe ATI All-in-Wonder and HDTV Wonder drivers corrupted. Removed and reinstalled.

The only thing I can think of now is I recently installed the XviD codec so I could playback torrents of shows I'd missed and d/led.

This is the d/l site I was directed to by xvid.org.

http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=1052&ssid=0&did=1

Could XviD be the culprit? Is there something else I'm missing that could be causing the snag?

Baby Lee
10-09-2007, 02:57 PM
OK, OK. How about directing me to a more proper forum for this inquiry?

I have posted at thegreenbutton.com

No reply there either.

Oh, and I uninstalled XviD, no avail.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Honestly, I've never run into any problems with XVid. I have it on two machines, including a fairly stock Dell laptop with 768 megs of ram and a
desktop with the same Asus board, but a 3.0 P4 and 2 gigs of 3200.

Do you have FFD Show installed? I've found that to be a resource whore in my limited interaction with it.

Baby Lee
10-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Fixed it. Turns out the last time I installed the OS, it somehow [even though I had MCE functionality] saw itself as an XP install, and refused to install the MCE updates and rollups.