PDA

View Full Version : microsoft zune.

Ebolapox
10-08-2007, 01:59 PM
anybody have one? any feedback? I'm a faithful fan of creative labs and their mp3 players, but looking to upgrade to a higher capacity player. I've found a zune for $170 (approx), and it's only 30 bucks cheaper than a creative I've looked at, with much more capacity (creative's higher capacity units start out at 200, and it's hard to find them cheaper/used)

any thoughts or comments welcomed (and no, I will not consider getting an ipod. f*ck apple.)

Vegas_Dave
10-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I won one a few months back.

Decent unit.

I agree with you about Apple. I am not a fan. However, the backend support and options and the iTunes marketplace simply blows away that of the Zune marketplace.

If I was to purchase one today, it would end up being an iPod (it hurts to type that).

Ebolapox
10-08-2007, 02:15 PM
the problem with apple is that I don't use 'itunes'... and we'll leave it at that. I have no use for either zune marketplace or itunes...

I do a lot of ripping tracks from my cd collection to my mp3 players though. is that possible on a zune (should be an obvious yeah, but one never knows, and they never seem to answer it on reviews online)

Simplex3
10-08-2007, 02:22 PM
the problem with apple is that I don't use 'itunes'... and we'll leave it at that. I have no use for either zune marketplace or itunes...

I do a lot of ripping tracks from my cd collection to my mp3 players though. is that possible on a zune (should be an obvious yeah, but one never knows, and they never seem to answer it on reviews online)
I've never used iTunes and I put my own mp3's on my iPod all the time. Look at:

SharePod
Anapod Explorer
WinAmp's iPod plugin
gtkpod

Then there's always this:
http://www.rockbox.org/

Vegas_Dave
10-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Absolutely. You have to use the Zune software to do the synch. It does import existing MP3's as well as it converts PodCasts as well to be used on the Zune (video and audio).

For your use, its a good unit.

Baby Lee
10-08-2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.woot.com/special.aspx?k=vipzune

Ebolapox
10-08-2007, 02:36 PM
thanks for the input, dave. (and I guess simplex too :p)

Ebolapox
10-08-2007, 02:45 PM
and especially our lawyerly friend, BL...

KevB
10-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Why the dislike for Apple? I'm not a fanboy of Apple, just an impartial sucker with some money and a desire to buy the best mp3 product. I do use iTunes to download music, but to this point it was simply to listen to that music on my laptop.

Jenson71
10-08-2007, 10:48 PM
My brother has a Zune. I think it's a waste of money, but he seems to like it. He takes it everywhere.

ChiefsLV
10-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I've got an old creative 40 gig Nomad Xtra. I've got about 4gb free, but I'm holding out till the larger capacity players are all flash memory.

Flash = greater reliability, longer battery life.

Guru
10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't like iPod because it is severely overpriced IMO and does not have a built in FM player. (makes ZERO sense)

With the price drop Zune just made itself a value.

Braincase
10-09-2007, 05:38 AM
I have a Zune, and I like it.

Pushead2
10-09-2007, 10:27 AM
ipod for life.

Pushead2
10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
my brother got an autograph from the iron shiek and asked for it to be signed to the "assheads" he looked blank then at my bro and put "shasheebes" hope that helps as well about the Zune.

listopencil
10-10-2007, 07:09 PM
my brother got an autograph from the iron shiek and asked for it to be signed to the "assheads" he looked blank then at my bro and put "shasheebes" hope that helps as well about the Zune.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=shasheebes&btnG=Google+Search

irishjayhawk
10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I've played with both and decided I like iPod way better. Plus, if you play your cards right you'll wait and see if they open up the iPhone and iPod Touch after the release of Leopard, which is the current rumor. If that happens, the Zune is effectively killed.

Oh, and DRM I expect to be extinct within the next two years. Apple's already come out against it and Amazon's store is DRM free completely.

Guru
10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I've played with both and decided I like iPod way better. Plus, if you play your cards right you'll wait and see if they open up the iPhone and iPod Touch after the release of Leopard, which is the current rumor. If that happens, the Zune is effectively killed.

Oh, and DRM I expect to be extinct within the next two years. Apple's already come out against it and Amazon's store is DRM free completely.
What do you mean by "open up"?

Pushead2
10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=shasheebes&btnG=Google+Search

Amazing, even for a Broncos fan :)

Ebolapox
10-11-2007, 01:46 PM
for the record, I've ordered a zune, and it'll be here on friday or so (according to ups)... thanks to everyone for their input and/or opinions, etc. I'll update in a month or so as to whether it was worth it or not.

Pushead2
10-11-2007, 01:55 PM
shasheebes

SLAG
10-15-2007, 05:39 PM
also for anyone else.. today's woot is the $99 Zune again

I picked up a white one today, says it should ship within 5 days

i'm exited.. not exactly what i wanted but $99 for 30gigs I cant pass it up

www.woot.com (http://www.woot.com)

Ebolapox
10-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I love mine, for what it's worth.

SLAG
10-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I love mine, for what it's worth.

I was wondering.. Did you get it from woot?

how fast was shipping?

Any Difference since it was a Refurb?

any other info u want to share?

JBucc
10-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Shasheebes no worky no more. Let's try something else. "Pootyshanker"

Ebolapox
10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
I got mine through woot, yeah. I placed my order on october 7 (at 2am) and received it on october 12. and that was standard shipping, nothing expedited.

I wouldn't even know it was a refurb other than it said 'refurbished' on the box. I've been extremely happy with the purchase so far.

SLAG
10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I got mine through woot, yeah. I placed my order on october 7 (at 2am) and received it on october 12. and that was standard shipping, nothing expedited.

I wouldn't even know it was a refurb other than it said 'refurbished' on the box. I've been extremely happy with the purchase so far.

Thanks for the info

Hows the wi-fi feature?

Also how is using microsoft's software? Thats what i'mleary of at theis point

SLAG
10-15-2007, 11:05 PM
woot is over :-(

Ebolapox
10-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info

Hows the wi-fi feature?

Also how is using microsoft's software? Thats what i'mleary of at theis point

microsoft's software isn't HORRIBLE, but I'm partial to creative's software (I had a zen micro for about three years)--I'm assuming it'll take some time to get used to.

however, transfer rates for transferring music to the player were much shorter than the zen micro was, etc. I even hear one can put dvd's onto the zune (whole movies and such: I need to find a quick walk-through for that whenever I get a chance)

Ebolapox
10-15-2007, 11:15 PM
I haven't used the wifi, for the record.

JBucc
10-16-2007, 12:20 AM
woot is over :-(
Selling bluetooth headsets now. Just what the world needs, more annoying douchepeckers yapping on their bluetooth oblivious to everything around them.

SLAG
10-19-2007, 08:35 PM
I got my Zune today so far so good

I found the Reg. Edit that allows windows to see the Zune in "My Computer" and will allow you to xfer files that way

Also the Reg. Edit that will allow the Zune Software to see Divx files so that it will convert them to play on the Zune

One really cool feature is that a Standard Camcorder A/V Cable will plug into the Headset jack and allow for play back on my TV.

So far I'm Loving it

SLAG
10-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Saw this posted at amazon thought others would enjoy

Hey, I just got my zune a few weeks ago and what can I say? I love it to death... Here is some very helpful things for all you newer Zune owners out there that you most likely didnt know.

1. When you first delete all the content on the zune that came preloaded, it will say on the Zune software that the Zune has 27.7gb capacity... but even though you deleted every file on the Zune it says that there is only 27.4gb available... what happened to the 200+mb?!?! This puzzled me for a few days until i finally found the answer:
The zune by default must reserve at least 1% of all the harddrive on the Zune for your Inbox, that is where incoming Music/Photos come in via Wi-Fi Zune-Zune Transfer.. Simple, simple answer to a very frustrating problem.

2. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let the battery completely drain to the point where it is forced to shutdown. When the Zune has 2-5 minutes of battery life left, it will give you a warning message that pops up, listen to it and shut of the Zune as soon as you can. Why? because the Lithium Ion battery isnt designed to be completely drained, and when it does the next time you fully charge it up, it will last slightly less. This can build up overtime and cause your battery to permanetly die very quickly (within 1 year).

3. You can use the Zune while its charging via USB. Heres how:
The Zune software is actually well designed. When it is open and your Zune is connected to the computer, the zune will say "Connected" with that circle of dots, but if you closet he Zune Software WHILE the zune is still plugged in and charging, the screen will flip to the main menu and your zune is now fully operational while its charging via USB.. something the ipod+itunes doesnt offer.

4. Heres some cool key-combinations for the Zune:
press and hold the "back" button as well as the "down" directional pad at the same time and your zune will go into deep-sleep mode.

press and hold the "back" button as well as the "center" and "left" directional pad buttons and the Zune will delete everything it has on it, as well as the firmware.

press and hold the "back" button as well as the "center" and "right" directional pad buttons to delete everything on the Zune except the firmware.

when the zune is in the deep sleep mode, the only way you can turn it on is by pressing and holding the "play/pause" button for about 2-3 seconds.

5. Most should probabally know this already, but the backside of each ear-bud that comes included with the zune is slightly magnetic. When they are together this helps by reducing tangle within the wires.

6. The included Zune sleeve/case is actually all that you need to protect your Zune, since the outer body of the zune is indeed scratch-proof, the only thing that isnt is the screen, but even that is alot more scratch-resistant than the ipod's. So when you are walking or whatever and the zune is in your pocket, if you put the included sleeve around it, the zune will remain scratch free. Unlike with the ipod, where even when its in the case it still seems to scratch up.

7. If your not going to use the Zune for another 15+ minutes i recommend to put it in "deep sleep" mode, if you remember, you just press and hold the "back" button as well as the downward button on the directional pad, granted the zune will take about 5-10 seconds until you can start using it, apposed to the instantaneous startup when you just press and hold "play/pause". But this will actually increase your average battery life by alot! When it is in Deep Sleep mode, it is fully turned off. When you just press and hold "play/pause" to turn it off, it really only goes into screensaver mode, which granted still saves power, but the device itself is still turned on.

8. If you used to have an iPod and you ripped all of your CDs using iTunes, chances are itunes tipped them into AAC format (apples own format, similar to how WMA is to Windows). Now the zune actually does support AAC, so if you had an iPod but you never bought songs off iTunes, you just bought the CD and ripped it using itunes, then your entire library will sync and play perfectly with the Zune. Its just the AAC songs that you get off iTunes Music Store that wont work with the Zune.

9. Some Power-Saving techniques
A. Set display brightness to "low" this can be done in the Settings menu of the Zune
B. Set the back light timer to 5/15/30 seconds, instead of the default 1 minute. This can be done in the Settings menu of the Zune.
C. use the "deep sleep" mode when zune isnt going to be used for 15+ minutes, as i said before, press and hold the "back" button as well as the down button on the directional pad at the same time.
D. turn Wi-Fi off when your not needing it, like if your jogging/walking you dont want someone to send you a song while your trying to work-out, same thing if your driving/riding in a car. Only use Wi-Fi when you want to, like if your in a busy area and you just want to see if other zunes are around. Turn it off in the settings menu of the Zune.
E. Limit your video watching, watching videos severely runs the battery, so limit video watching as much as you can.
F. When the zune is not in "deep sleep" mode, you just pressed the "play/pause" button to turn it off, put the hold-switch on to prevent it from turning on accidentally.
G. The EQ actually does lower your average battery life, so if you want to maximize battery life dont use the EQ.

10. THE ZUNE IS A KILLER PRODUCT DONT LET THE ZUNE-HATER S/IPOD-LOVERS FOOL YOU.

Comments are appreciated, as are suggestions. Thank You for reading.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I got a Zune last night, and it's taking a ridiculously long time to charge. Is this normal? How do you know when it's fully charged? Will it continuously show it's charging even when it's full? I appreciate any help I can get.

SLAG
10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
I got a Zune last night, and it's taking a ridiculously long time to charge. Is this normal? How do you know when it's fully charged? Will it continuously show it's charging even when it's full? I appreciate any help I can get.

Mine shows charging but the Battery Icon is full

I assume its at a full charge

Guru
10-22-2007, 12:32 AM

I would like to know if the battery is replaceable when it eventually dies.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-22-2007, 12:39 AM

It'll actually show the entire battery flash green real quick then start charging again. That's how you know. Be careful Zune owners, I read all over online today that if you over charge your Zune, the screen may crack, and it IS NOT covered under warrenty. Microsoft claims it's user abuse.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-22-2007, 12:39 AM
I would like to know if the battery is replaceable when it eventually dies.

Nope. It's dead and needs to be replaced.

Guru
10-22-2007, 02:00 AM
found this...

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=ZUNE