PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Radio

AustinChief
06-07-2001, 06:05 PM
Taking a page out of Bob Dole's playbook... I have made a ChiefsPlanet Radio station....

http://www.live365.com/stations/249795

It has some very "different" songs on it... some you may have heard before... if anyone takes the time to tune in... lemme know what you think!

--Kyle

Bob Dole
06-07-2001, 06:08 PM
Oh sure... Trying to steal both of Bob Dole's listeners...

AustinChief
06-07-2001, 06:15 PM
Hey ... I've got a whopping 1 listener... ME.

Right now ... I'm listening to the "I was not a NAZI polka" by the Chad Mitchell Trio.

--Kyle

Bob Dole
06-07-2001, 06:21 PM
You had 2 listeners for a moment, as Bob Dole listened to the same song.

Bob Dole bets your not playing any new stuff from Fydolla Ho, though. :D

AustinChief
06-07-2001, 06:23 PM
Nope .. but I do have The Scabs singing... Baby Put Your Panties On... an ode to the wonders of womens underwear.

--Kyle

Bob Dole
06-07-2001, 06:30 PM
Bob Dole is presently concentrating on playing nothing more than 2 years old, which would pretty much leave out the Scabs...

Bob Dole
06-07-2001, 06:34 PM
Well... Bob Dole is getting ready to go check out "Modern Fossil." (And Bob Dole isn't expecting much...)

Later.

DanT
06-07-2001, 09:26 PM
Any station that has Kenny Roger's "Coward of the County" and Michelle Shocked's "Anchorage" has got to be worth listenin' to for a spell.

AustinChief
06-08-2001, 12:27 AM
Is there anyone listening right now?

It shows that there is... I was wondering if anyone caught the song "Mr. Wrong" by Cracker....

--Kyle

DanT
06-08-2001, 12:45 AM
I'm been listening all night, enjoying it immensely. I hadn't heard any Michelle Shocked in a while. Now I think I'm going to buy one of her albums to add to my tiny (less than 10) of non-classical CDs. I didn't really notice the song you asked about, but I recognized a lot of 'em tonight and enjoy some that I hadn't heard before.

If you're taking suggestions, I wouldn't mind having "16 Tons" (Tennessee Ernie Ford) and "King of the Road" (Roger Miller) tossed into the playlist. They'd seem to fit nicely.

AustinChief
06-08-2001, 12:52 AM
DanT,

No problem I'll try to add them... I've got both of them right here...

Glad that you like it... It is a very "ecclectic" collection of music.

Listen for "Come a long way" by Michelle Shocked... It's one of my favs.

DanT
06-08-2001, 01:04 AM
I love that song, too! That's the one that is especially making me want to get one of her albums. I think I might try to get one of hers and one of Dire Straits over the weekend (the Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler song that just came on reminded me of how much I've liked of what little I know of Knopfler's work).

Well, I better go home. I'll be back to listen to this station, though.

Thanks!

AustinChief
06-08-2001, 01:06 AM
DanT,

If you like the Dire Straits... Try to get the greatest hits album with Romeo and Juliet on it... great song!!!

Michelle Shocked is hard because Anchorage and Come A Long Way are on different albums... maybe you can find a greatest hits album.

DanT
06-08-2001, 01:13 AM
It looks like Mercury put out one to try to get some money out of her as she was leaving them: "Mercury Poised" she got to call it, a play on the phrase "mercury poisioning". I'll probably buy it, as it has several of her big hits. I'm a sucker for poppy songs from the clueful. I like XTC a lot, for example.

I also like ballads a lot, so there's a lot of country music that I can enjoy, even though I don't hear it too much. I guess I got a little bit of hillbilly in me!

ptlyon
06-08-2001, 08:00 AM
AustinC ~ How strange life is... I have that Dire Straits CD and in fact listened to it coming into work this A.M. R&J is one of my favorite songs, but IMO Telegraph Road was one of the best the band ever played. Wish they were still together.

P.S. Thanx for this BBS! It's a great place to stay for awhile! Also enjoy several of the patrons around here.

Later.

AustinChief
06-15-2001, 06:12 PM
WOW!

There is actually a second listener today!!!

--Kyle

(waiting for the Tom Jones version of Burning Down The House...)

Bob Dole
06-15-2001, 06:26 PM
Bob Dole has a copy of Tom Jones singing the old Three Dog Night <i>Mama Told Me Not To Come</i> (with Stereophonic) if you want a copy...

AustinChief
06-15-2001, 06:44 PM
Bob Dole,

That would be great... I'll talk to you about it... I also have some other info for you... I'll email you soon.

...did anyone catch that last song "I'm a Bear in a Ladies Boudoir "

my FAVORITE football related song...

--Kyle

AustinChief
06-15-2001, 06:49 PM
I'm also adding "Dropkick me Jesus through the goal posts of life..." to the playlist.

Does anyone else have any great football related tunes?

--Kyle

KS Smitty
06-15-2001, 09:51 PM
We been listenin for about an hour now. Excellent tunes so far. How about I Like Beer by Tom T Hall? How many hours of music do you have on hear? Lookin forward to hearin more.
The Smitty's
Never been to Spain but you have:p

Bob Dole
06-15-2001, 10:43 PM
Just let Bob Dole know, Kyle.

On a slightly related note... Bob Dole has been hacking around in notepad all evening and has an early prototype for Bob Dole Radio's web site up. If anyone feels helpful, they can check it out <a href="http://www.cableone.net/sloat/bdr/">here</a>.

AustinChief
06-16-2001, 03:24 AM
I had no idea that you were a Vonnegut fan...

Vonnegut, Steinbeck, Twain and Poe... no one comes close in terms of American literature....

--Kyle

Bob Dole
06-16-2001, 08:42 AM
If that was directed at Bob Dole, Bob Dole isn't sure how to take it...

Back to the topic: Bob Dole assumes you have Adam Sandler's <i>Lonesome Kicker</i>. If not, Bob Dole can get you that one, too.

AustinChief
06-16-2001, 09:37 AM
Bob Dole,

My bad... There was a link to an article on Vonnegut's new album... but I wasn't looking too close. I just now noticed that it was part of the music newsfeed.

--Kyle

Bob Dole
06-16-2001, 10:09 AM
I guess that means that Bob Dole did a decent job of integrating the feed into the page...

Also explains why the reference didn't sink in, as that article isn't showing now.

Bob Dole
06-17-2001, 05:54 PM
Bob Dole has spent a good part of the afternoon trying to develop a "branded player" for Bob Dole Radio and thinks it's working.

Can someone with a broadband connection please test it for Bob Dole by clicking <a href="http://www.cableone.net/sloat/bdr/radio.rm">here</a>?

AustinChief
06-17-2001, 06:43 PM
Seems to work fine for me...

--Kyle

I see the big eared rat and hear the music... ;)

Bob Dole
06-17-2001, 06:47 PM
Did you try clicking on the big eared rat?

AustinChief
06-17-2001, 06:55 PM
Yep... it takes me to Texarkana... I really think you out to warn people... now I feel dirty.

;)

seriously... it works great.

--Kyle

Bob Dole
06-17-2001, 06:57 PM
Excellent! Want to know how to do it so you can customize yours?

KS Smitty
06-17-2001, 09:32 PM
Who is Todd Snider? I noticed quite a few of his tunes on chiefsplanet radio. He reminds of John Prine/Jerry Jeff Walker. Have I missed him all this time? Give me some info Kyle! (Please)

Smitty

AustinChief
06-17-2001, 09:57 PM
Todd Snider is AWESOME!!!

To me, he is a mix of Jimmy Buffett and John Prine... and since Jimmy Buffett and Jerry jeff are good friends and used to write and play together... it seems that you have the same opinion.

He originally started out on Margaritiville Records (Jimmy's label) and now he's on Oh Boy! records (Prine's label)!!!

I first heard him when he had just released his first album in 1994. He used to play in Austin, TX alot.

You can read a short bio of him on www.OhBoy.com ... I would recommend his first and last albums... and if you can find it... a bootleg of his that has a song called beer-run...

B double-E double-R U N ... beerrun,
B double-E double-R U N ... beerrun,
all we need is a ten and a fiver
a car and a key and a sober driver

--Kyle

KS Smitty
06-17-2001, 10:30 PM
One more question. Have you ever been to a taping of "Austin City Limits"? We watch it every week and it sure introduces us to some interesting music. I didn't think about Jimmy Buffet but we just listened to his greatest hits tape and I see the similarities there too. BTW I love Homegrown Tomatoes! How about "Pencil-Thin Mustache"

Smitty

AustinChief
06-17-2001, 10:36 PM
It is REALLY hard to get a ticket to Austin City Limits... but a few of my buddies have gone... I will probably go sometime after I move back to the States...

Right now I'm adding

BEERRUN -Todd Snider
THAT'S WHAT DADDY WANTS - Wayne 'The Train' Hancock
DROPKICK ME, JESUS - Bobby Bare

I'll add Pencil Thin Mustache soon...
are there any that you'd like to see dropped?

--Kyle