PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Moves

bkkcoh
06-08-2001, 11:18 AM
The Kansas City Chiefs also released G Jeff Blackshear on Friday. He has played in 127 of a possible 128 games (96 starts) in his eight-year NFL career with the Chiefs (2000), Baltimore (96-99) and Seattle (93-95). He has played in all 16 games the past seven seasons including 15 starts at left guard last season with Kansas City

I thought Jeff B. did a decent job last year, I sure hope this means that our O-line is going to be pretty decent with some depth. Was this a cap move???

keg in kc
06-08-2001, 11:23 AM
Yes, it was a cap move, although that he doesn't fit the profile for athletic mobile offensive linemen, either, which is what the team is moving for in signing Wiegmann, moving Spears to guard (he's Blackshear's replacement) and drafting Alex Sulfsted. In any case, Blackshear's release frees up 750K.

AJKCFAN
06-08-2001, 11:25 AM
Brian:

Definitely cap-related... and you're right. Blackshear wasn't that bad.

Guess it means Willis is ready for the promotion to starting LG. Very interesting.

I'd like to use Blackshear's $$$ and sign up Belser and another defensive player, hopefully on the DE, a vet to go along with Owens to rotate with Clemons and Hicks. Nothing spectacular, just a solid vet to plug in. Unless Biesel is really that good where it's not necessary

Chiefs really look quite good as long Green stays in one piece.

Let the experts say we suck! Usually means good things await us in the upcoming year...

AJKCFAN
06-08-2001, 11:27 AM
Kyle:

You're right. I forgot their plans regarding Spears. Well, if he falls flat, I guess Plan B is to start Willis.

bkkcoh
06-08-2001, 11:30 AM
If we could sign a "stop gap" cb to fill in until our rookies get a year or so under their belt, it would be a great thing..

keg in kc
06-08-2001, 11:41 AM
The list of remaining CBs isn't exactly great, bkkcoh:

Kevin Abrams, Antonio Banks(R), Tony Blevins (R), Michael Booker, James Brown, Terrell Buckley , Chris Canty, Corey Chavous, Eric Davis, Tim Denton, Tyronne Drakeford, Darrien Gordon, Brian Kelly (R), Antonio Langham, Jeremy Lincoln, Todd Lyght, Allen Rossum (R), Reggie Rusk (R), Dainon Sidney (R), Jason Simmons (R), Keith Thibodeaux (R), Deshea Townsend (R), Scott Turner, Charlie Williams, Jerry Wilson, Floyd Young.

Not sure how up-to-date that list is, but you get the picture...

Clint in Wichita
06-08-2001, 11:54 AM
I agree that CB is probably the single most glaring weakness on the team, but I don't know if a stop-gap veteran is the way to go.

With a stop-gap, your young guys DON'T get a year under their belt...just a year older. The next year when you put them in, they're still inexperienced...just like the year before.

I say throw Dennis and Bartee into the fire NOW.

bkkcoh
06-08-2001, 12:01 PM
That isn't totally true, if the veteran is a good teacher, he would be able to teach them in training camp and during the season. Depending on how good he was the younger cb may make giant strides by using the older guy as a guide..

Clint in Wichita
06-08-2001, 12:05 PM
If Hasty couldn't teach those guys, I don't see what Crockett could teach them...except for how to douse your arse in Gatorade after it's been torched by a receiver.

keg in kc
06-08-2001, 12:06 PM
I'd tend to agree with both of you. I want to see Bartee, Dennis and Warfield (or young, younger and youngest, as I call them, in no particular order ;)) get their shots. However, at the same time we have a glaring lack of quality depth at CB, and I'm not sure Ray "can he still play?" Crockett helps a great deal. He will certainly help them adjust to the system over the summer, which is invaluable, but man I wish we had a CB on the roster who could shut down half the field...

keg in kc
06-08-2001, 12:09 PM
Oh come on! Hasty was cut because he couldn't afford him. The guy wouldn't take a pay cut and we didn't (and still don't) have the cap room to pay him 6+ million dollars this year.

That aside, Crockett has played the system, which is a plus.

I just wish I had confidence in his skills - big minus.

Pitt Gorilla
06-08-2001, 12:12 PM
I think the type of player that Blackshear is was more of a cause for his release than salary. As some have already mentioned, Blackshear does NOT fit the mold for a guard in this offense; He's a roadgrater, which is fine for some, but not for an offense that relies on both guards' abilities to pull. The cap space is icing on the cake, IMO. Spears is incredibly athletic and has a good amount of size; This could be his chance. Don't count out a guy like Brian Waters, either. Although a Goonther pickup, this guy is PERFECT for the new O, and Vermeil can see that. Just some thoughts...

The Bad Guy
06-08-2001, 12:13 PM
I guess my assumptions were correct about Blackshear.

With his money, we should be able to get Sands, Sulfsted, Biesel and Layne under contract.

The move was a smart one because of Blackshear's lack of mobility.

Our line now shapes up like this...

OT-RILEY, TAIT, Alford, Jones
OG-SHIELDS, SPEARS, Willis, Sulfsted
C-WEIGGMAN, Waters

Starters are in caps.

If we could only release Mikhael Ricks, we could clear up some space to sign a guy like Jason Belser, or add another receiver to the mix.

nickman
06-08-2001, 12:17 PM
Is Lyght still out there? I thought I read something about him signing with Detroit or that might have just been a rumor I read.

If he is he would be a logical choice being an ex-ram. He also had a very good year the year before last.

Clint in Wichita
06-08-2001, 12:18 PM
Crockett has never been that great.

That aside, why would playing in Robinson's system be a plus for a CB?

"See that guy? Keep him from getting the ball."

Unless Robinson does a flip-flop and uses quite a bit of zone coverage, there will be very little for the CBs to learn about the new system.

The Bad Guy
06-08-2001, 12:18 PM
Hasty may have been a great teacher on the field, but from everything I've heard and read, his locker room presence was garbage.

He never ever took paycuts to help the team. His constant battles with Peterson also sealed his fate for his release back in March.

Vermeil kept talking about character guys when he was hired, and I never once hear him mention Hasty. I loved James with the Chiefs, but it was apparent that he didn't want to be here. From his constant retirement threats, to his reluctance to help out the cap situation.

I think some of the blame falls on Peterson for putting our cap in the position where we had to cut someone like James, but I think some of the blame also falls on Hasty.

It says something when there are cornerback starved teams, and he hasn't even gotten a look anywhere yet. His salary demands must be through the roof.

htismaqe
06-08-2001, 01:13 PM
Clint's right on this one...

Bartee and Dennis should at least be seeing significant playing time -- if not starting...