PDA

View Full Version : PC help needed...

boogblaster
10-10-2007, 12:21 AM
My old eTower piece of shit pc has slowed to a crawl ... It has XP hardware.. Im on dial-up thru Earthlink-Sprint..they had me delete my cookies and files go to run put in a new program but nothing happened.. it still freezes wont scroll etc... would someone tell how to speed this turd up please... ps..make it simple Im stupid you know ...Boog ...

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-10-2007, 12:59 AM
It could be so many things, but try this download:

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakutility/download.aspx

boogblaster
10-10-2007, 01:32 AM
I down-loaded the program its a little better..thanks HJ...

Valiant
10-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Have you downloaded or any of your family downloaded anything that could have slowed it down???

Honestly what I would do is reformat, reinstall and start fresh if there is not anything you need that you cannot burn to disc.. I do this once a year..

Guru
10-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Might want to run the free scanner on www.trendmicro.com as well. It will clean any viruses and spyware as well.

Jayhawkerman2001
10-11-2007, 03:07 PM
My old eTower piece of shit pc has slowed to a crawl ... It has XP hardware.. Im on dial-up thru Earthlink-Sprint..they had me delete my cookies and files go to run put in a new program but nothing happened.. it still freezes wont scroll etc... would someone tell how to speed this turd up please... ps..make it simple Im stupid you know ...Boog ...

also, do you have any spyware remover at all?

chasedude
10-11-2007, 04:39 PM
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

I posted this on Hama's thread yesterday. Great anti-spyware program.

Another thing you can try is removing programs from startup. I'm curious on how many little icons you have down on your taskbar. Many times programs you load on the system also load resource draining startup programs in the background.

Here's how to shut those programs down. click on your start button and go to a "run" command. Type in msconfig.

A window will popup with 6 tabs at the top. Choose the last one "startup". In here you will see mulitple things starting with your computer. You can remove all of them (check boxes) without blowing up your computer. Be careful though to not shut off your antivirus program. Hopefully you know what antivirus you use.

After applying these setting the system will want you to restart. Upon a restart a window will popup explaining your system configuration has changed, this is fine. Close out the window and see if your system runs smoother.

FYI the check marks you took off in the msconfig window can be rechecked at anytime.