PDA

View Full Version : Profession?

chief52
06-04-2001, 05:31 PM
I am a lineman for the power company in Northern California...not a very popular position in this day and age. Seen the Chiefs play in Seattle, Oakland before and after the move, LA and San Diego. Still looking forward to my first trip to Arrowhead!

aturnis
06-09-2001, 06:27 AM
Since we are now getting into the......."Lets get to know ya topics" I just thought I'd ask ya what you do to put bread on the table and provide for your family/significant other/self.

Me, I am a student and this fall I will be a senior at West Delaware High School. Right now I am in between jobs, my last job was in the electronics dept. at Wal-Mart b/c of my knowledge in the field which went to waste. I put in my two weeks to give me time for early summer partying, training to get ready for the summer soccer league and such. I now have my name in circulation for jobs of construction/well-drilling, if I don't get these in the coming weeks I will go to Fareway where they have flexible schedules....

Phobia
06-09-2001, 10:42 AM
Specifically, a network consultant.

old_geezer
06-09-2001, 10:51 AM
A distribution/window clerk for the US Post Office. I need Hader's signature for my own. :D

Lightning Rod
06-09-2001, 10:52 AM
International man of mystery

JOhn
06-09-2001, 11:00 AM
I've done quite a few different jobs....

Ambulance dispatcher
Paramedic (retired)
911 Dispatcher
Resturant Asst-manager/Manager
Delivery driver
House parent in group home

Currently in Retail, Trying tyo decide what I really want to do with the rest of my life. (Mid-life crisis at 35?)

Debating on relicensing as a Paramedic, or staying in retail, and moving into management.

Bob Dole
06-09-2001, 11:04 AM
Bounty Hunter.

Phobia
06-09-2001, 11:06 AM
My brother & his wife are currently house parents at BoysTown. Rewarding work, IMHO.

JOhn
06-09-2001, 11:09 AM
Yes i was. I worked in what they call a transition home. FOr kids that they were trying to work into a semi-independent enviroment. About 50% them were disablied in some manner. Very enjoyable work. Did it for about 1 year in Wyoming prior to moving back to Missouri, But pay is very low.

Tomahawk 11
06-09-2001, 11:41 AM
Waterpatrolman for the state. I know you all love cops, so take it easy. :D

bishop_74
06-09-2001, 11:45 AM
Frame Relay/ATM Cisco network engineer.

-or-

'puter geek

tommykat
06-09-2001, 11:54 AM
I'm a hairdresser and do nails as well. Going on 25 years..WHOA..
to long at one job..;)

Mosbonian
06-09-2001, 11:55 AM
Credit Manager
Risk Manager
Customer Credit Consultant
Credit & Collections Manager....

All titles that the company throws around for what I do...

I do Financial Risk analysis on all the major Mass Merchandisers and Departments Store chains and recommend the maximum amount of Credit exposure we choose to have with them.

I also am a part of a Management team that supervises a large staff of 50 people that encompass Credit extension, deduction management, monitoring of bankrupt accounts and collection activities of one of the largest textile manufacturers in the world.

And most of the time I consume large quantities of antacid...

mark

MrBlond
06-09-2001, 12:04 PM
I'm a shepherd.

T-11,
The Breakfast Club is a classic for movie lines. My favorite is: "What if your home, no...What if your DOPE were on fire?"

Lightning Rod
06-09-2001, 12:10 PM
OK,
I pimp office furniture

CanadaKC
06-09-2001, 12:28 PM
Hey everyone...just got back from three weeks backbacking around the Greek Islands with my wife (thought I'd better fit her in, since going to Greece might give some of you the wrong impression:D). Anyways, it was a great time. Missed y'all.
Can't wait until our fantasy football draft.

keg in kc
06-09-2001, 12:33 PM
I would have to say lately that I'm a full-time amateur net-surfer and general waster of valuable time that I'll never get back. I would be a professional net-surfer if I got paid but I don't so I'm amateur.

I'm a struggling writer, in reality, although if I don't get a significant amount of work done (and I've actually gotten some done recently, which is a good start ;)) over the course of the next month or two, then I'll have to find a more...traditional profession, something along the lines of a janitor or a burger-flipper, because I lack education, intelligence and/or training to do much else, and I'm an introvert, so I don't work particularly well in jobs that involve dealing with other people...

I haven't done a whole lot of jobs. Some time as a maintenance assistant on a college campus, some time as a maintenance assistant in a couple of motels (and some time as a desk clerk) plus a couple of years of teaching as a graduate assistant before I decided I didn't like my field of education and left school for KC.

DanT
06-09-2001, 01:29 PM
I'm one of the statisticians for a team of researchers at an academic medical center who study aging. We do community-based and clinic-based studies of changes in cognitive and physical functioning, especially those related to Alzheimer's Disease and Parkinsonism.

In November, I'm going to leave this group and move from Chicago to California to try to get my dissertation (in math stat) finished and to rejoin my sweetheart, who moved out there last November. I'll miss the medical center, which has been my employer since graduating college in 1988, and I'll especially miss the folks in my department, but I'm not adverse to leaving medical research and trying different things! My next job will mostly depend on what happens with my dissertation, I think.

Tomahawk 11
06-09-2001, 01:41 PM
MrBlond,

Glad you recognized it!! I was beginning to think that no one would. The first part of that is hilarious too. "I have a question... Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

"I'll give you the answer to that question, Mr. Bender, next Saturday. Never mess...."

I love that movie!:D

keg in kc
06-09-2001, 01:54 PM
DanT, my sister is a medical reseacher for Kaiser Permanente in L.A. She went by way of a microbiology degree from harvard and a doctorate in epidemiology from Michigan. It's an interesting career, but with a lot of headaches (I guess any job is like that though...)

(I'm the dumb one in the family...)

BigMeatballDave
06-09-2001, 02:11 PM
Animal Necrophiliac

Doesn`t pay very well.

Multi1
06-09-2001, 02:30 PM
Control Systems Engineer for company supplying equipment to the engineered wood industry. (OSB, MDF, Particleboard)

stevieray
06-09-2001, 02:37 PM
Non starving artist.

Kyle, you need to go for it man! And I mean go for it. If you want to be writer, then write everday. And network! And I mean to everyone you know and meet. You'd be surprised how rejection becomes nothing to you. I used to be terrified of networking, now it's a walk in the park. Granted it's taken six years to get where I am today, but my business never really took off till I went for it on my own.

You've got to believe when you jump off that cliff, you'll fly.
Lightening does strike, but not if you are inside instead of standing outside with a rod in your hand.

You display your ability to express yourself on this board very eloquently. But you've got to believe in yourself and JUMP!

DanT
06-09-2001, 02:42 PM
Hey keg in kc,

I'm glad to hear your sister's out in California because, from what I've heard and seen of how they do things out there, that state needs as much help as possible! :D

keg in kc
06-09-2001, 02:51 PM
DanT, hehe, I'm not sure if people would see my sister as helping Cali or hurting Cali because she's a lesbian Democrat (err, I think she's a democrat, but I know she's a lesbian). She's my sister though, so what can I say other than I love her and respect where she's gotten herself in life. ;) I'm not sure what she works on at KP, but she's done work in the past on AIDS, chronic fatigue and a few other things. She's really told me some nightmare stories about working there though, and trying to get grants, etc. In the immortal words of Han Solo "Better her than me..."

Stevieray, I appreciate the advice and you're exactly right. I've got to do it every day and just do it, and that's what I'm doing now. I've had a lot of things to work through in my life over the last year or two, and I think the time is now - so I'm putting up or shutting up, the same as I am with exercise and my weight. I've been on a runaway roller-coaster for a while, but I think I'm finally at the controls so hopefully good things are on the way. :)

ChiefGator
06-09-2001, 03:03 PM
I work full-time for MCIWorldcom building global customer's frame relay/ATM networks and project managing blah, blah, blah, blah... The good thing is I get to work remote in Gainesville even though my office is in Tampa. Not sure how I got to be so lucky.

Also go to school full-time for my Computer Engineering degree. Taking it easy the second part of the summer, though, to refresh on my German and get my CCNA (some damn certificate thingie).

Herzig
06-09-2001, 03:39 PM
I'm molding young minds and teaching them all about genetics, classification, mitosis, atomic structure, body systems, plate tectonics, and the like.

Scary huh??

My first year of teaching(3 years ago) I taught Health & Sex Education!! They threw me right into the fire!! It turned out to be a great conversation starter with the ladies though!!!:D...I still use it on occasion!!!

KCJohnny
06-09-2001, 04:51 PM
I am a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division.
I am a chaplain assistant and manage a large worship facility and a small staff of paratroopers.

Kyle, until you get steady dough rolling in, why don't you go talk to a recruiter? It was a good gig for Ernest Hemmingway. Plenty of life-stimulating experiences to stir up the literary creative juices. I'm the future Mrs. Kyle would be horrified, but hey! You need to know these things!

Seriously, I was 31 when I joined. Its a great (although demanding) way to serve your country and after 4 years you can go write a bunch of war stories.

KCJ

KCJohnny
06-09-2001, 05:00 PM
Should read,
"I'm sure the future Mrs. Kyle..."

KCJ
Has no intentions of marrying Kyle

Otter
06-09-2001, 05:00 PM
RCGChief's arch enemy!!!

every spy needs one ya know.

AHHHH ha ha ha ha ha (mandatory evil laugh)

AustinChief
06-09-2001, 07:02 PM
I WAS a Director of Information Systems at a company in Austin... but now I guess "International Playboy" is the best description...

--Kyle

Bwana
06-09-2001, 07:17 PM
National Auto Broker based out of Billings Montana. I buy from one to 50 cars for people or corporations. I end up flying all over the United States, which can be good or bad depeding on the airlines. I broke down and buught myself a Corvette Thursday. I was wonding if my wife was going to kill me, but figured you only live once. As it turned out she said "it's about time you did that, you have been wanting one for a long time." :D

California Injun
06-09-2001, 07:48 PM
DanT,

And what exactly has the State of Illinois contributed to America lately?

This Cali native can only take so much drive-by smack before getting his dander up.

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2001, 08:01 PM
I'm am a sophomore in high school who is starting college early this fall. It's a new program where I start college my junior year in high school and my senior year I graduate with my high school diploma along with an A.A. degree. Then I transfer to college as a Junior and get my bachelors when I'm 20. These next two years I have to take pre-req. courses for my future major which means I need to choose my major now so I know what pre-req's to take, and it's pretty stressful when you're not sure what you want to do. I'm looking at Engineering and I'm pretty much leaning towards that. Problem is, I don't know which field of engineering I want to specialize in. Decisions, decisions...

Gaz
06-09-2001, 08:40 PM
I have been an MRB Engineer for twenty years. We modify and modernize C-135 aircraft for the Air Force. New engines, APUs, structural beef-up, so forth.

When something doesn’t fit, is corroded, obsolete or broken, I figure out how to make it airworthy again. That could mean designing a repair, calculating the new margin of safety or figuring out how to machine a part from a forging drawing.

I am the airplane equivalent of a paramedic or fireman, without the pesky blood and flames.

xoxo~
Gaz
Quite content to miss out on the blood.

California Injun
06-09-2001, 08:53 PM
DaKCman,

Those pre-req classes could probably be transferred to ANY major so I wouldn't stress about it the next two years.

Put down what you think you might do and you can always change your mind later.

I'm pretty sure you've got to take the "ology" courses, with Math, English, and Chemistry added also.

Why you want to burden yourself with this during your best years in H.S. (Junior and Senior) is puzzling.

But then I was a social freak back then....

Gaz
06-09-2001, 08:55 PM
DaKCMan AP-

Engineers RULE!

And Mechanical Engineers are the Big Dogs, the Alpha Males of the Engineering pack.

Woof, baby.

xoxo~
Gaz
Coincidentally a Mechanical Engineer.

Logical
06-09-2001, 09:02 PM
Until January I was a Chief Engineer, that is the Engineering Manager that all the Electrical, Mechanical, RF, Software, Digital, and Parts Material and Process engineers work for.

In January I became a Program Manager now Finance, Estimating, Procurement, Operations, Schedulers, Production Control, Contracts, and the Chief Engineer report to me on a 22 million dollar program and for doing all proposals for the F-16 product line.

Its a great job, and in reality it is my hobby, and passion in life besides my kids. Nothing could be better than looking forward to going to work every single day and missing it when you are not there on weekends and holidays.

In short I love my job.

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2001, 09:18 PM
I spend most of my time in H.S. sitting in a class doing nothing. I'm the kind of person who hates to sit still. I'd rather be doing work than sitting around. Most of the material at H.S. bores me and comes easy. This new program just started and I'm ready to move on from H.S. to college. About 150 people get in this program (a few thousand+ apply) and some of my friends were accepted as well, so I won't be all alone. I'm not really into the school-spirit stuff anyway.

From the looks of things, besides the humanities, english, etc. it looks like all I'll be taking is Physics and Calculus. Sounds fun! (gag!) The only class that actually challenged me this year was Calculus and I did fine in there, so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm kind of leaning towards electrical, chemical or mechanical engineering but I'm still open to other fields. I plan to meet with some people myself and my parents know to find out what you actually do (day-to-day activities) in each field.

Otter
06-09-2001, 09:26 PM
DaKCMan AP,

Congrats on being accepted and good luck with the program.

Software Engineers are the top dogs in the engineering field.

Don't mind Gaz. He's just some guy who posts here because he earned enough good behavior points at the asylum for a padded keyboard and mouse. Last week he was an astronaut!

;)

Logical
06-09-2001, 09:35 PM
DaKCman

The biggest money is in Software Engineering, Systems Engineering is probably next, then RF Engineering, followed by Electrical and Mechanical.

Electricals have an advantage over Mechanicals because Systems and RF engineers typically come from the Electrical Engineering graduates. These are the facts on salaries for East and West coasts. I cannot speak for most ot the rest of the country except for software engineers, they are in demand everywhere.

Systems Engineering programs are rare so if you are interested in eventually being one the EE route is probably best, typically Chief Engineers come from Systems Engineering and usually have EE degrees.

I was also an early entrant into college, but back then 72 they only let you miss the last half of your Senior year (what a waste by mid year my Junior year I had all the credits I needed to graduate. We had a different advantage back then though you could take a test called the College Level Entrance Placement exam. I did, basically aced it, thereby recieving 30 credit hours and avoiding all the prerequisite Freshman BS courses such as English, Basic Math, etc., this allowed me to start College as a Sophomore. Unfortunately they no longer allow this practice (stopped it in the late 70s at some point).

DanT
06-10-2001, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by California_Injun
DanT,

And what exactly has the State of Illinois contributed to America lately?

This Cali native can only take so much drive-by smack before getting his dander up.

I pity the fool who doesn't know that Mr. T came from Illinois! :D :

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/7677/timeline.html

keg in kc
06-10-2001, 12:36 AM
KCJ, I appreciate your idea, but I don't think the military is for me. And unless they're in the habit (which I hope they're not!) of taking in soldiers with reconstructed knees, screwed-up Achille's Heels, ankles missing multiple ligaments, shoulders with chronic problems, very bad backs and flat feet (not to mention a hundred or so non-cancerous tumors, but that's another story...), then I think they're just as happy to be without me, too. I'm not exactly the perfect picture of a good, solid and healthy physical specimen, in other words (and it seems to be getting worse every year)..

Although, I will admit that I actually considered the idea on a couple of occasions. Had I gone the way of the military, I would have done it 7 or 8 years ago (and sometimes wish I had, but it's not like I get a mulligan on the years gone by, what's done is done...).

I think the career path I'm on, such as it is, is the right one.

Failure is no longer an option.

ExtremeChief
06-10-2001, 06:28 AM
I'm a systems technician for a pork processing facility...not a puter geek, I'm just learning them...my work leans toward programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and control circuitry.

Jim,

A certain someone wanted to see about getting a PLC...I told them I didn't think you could be controlled ;)

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-10-2001, 11:34 AM
After doing 15 years in the service, I was given an offer by my branch manager I <b>COULD</b> refuse, so I thought I'd take my chances doing something else.

Truer words were never spoken :D

My official position is a tech writer with a government contractor. In reality, I've become the communications guru/web designer for an outsourcing program and also the communications officer for an outsourcing feasibility study. Of course, both are comming due within a week or two of each other, so I'm putting in some serious hours. (sigh)

I am responsible for helping to write responses to Congress, helping write press releases to Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, and a slough of e-magazines, keeping the work force up to date, plus managing two web sites (one is 109 pages and the new one is only 15 (so far). Plus, I organize town hall meetings for the agency, to include PR, advertising, making sure the meeting is televised, making sure the speakers actually arrive on time, etc.

Somehow, I think most of this falls under "other duties as assigned".

ck_IN
06-10-2001, 02:56 PM
Database Administrator - Seldom stirred, never shaken.

Also a part time writer.

Bearcat
06-10-2001, 08:52 PM
I'm a junior at Northwest Missouri State... majoring in the ever exciting field of Computer Science. At the moment I do shipping and receiving for Farmland Industries...

trying to save for college and waiting patiently for a couple of internships to come calling... being the middle of June though, I guess I should take the hint.

Logical
06-10-2001, 09:34 PM
Extreme Chief

PLC joke was hilarious, thanks.

kcfanintitanhell
06-10-2001, 09:46 PM
As the long-standing Nashville joke goes: "What's the difference between a professional musician and an amateur musician?" The answer: An amateur musician has a day gig, and a professional musician has a wife or girlfriend with a high-paying job. So I guess that makes me a professional musician, which I have been for the past 30 years or so (since I was 17). I have a BFA in music (you wanna talk about worthless degrees?), and have toured with several Grammy-winning artists. When I lived in KC, I taught private lessons at a place called the Toon Shop in Prairie Village. The best piece of worthless trivia about my career is that, at the ripe old age of 17, I was the first bass player to play "Raindrops Keep fallin' on My Head" live, with BJ Thomas. I read it off a chart in Burt Bachrach's handwriting, four months before Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid hit the theaters.

I gotta go give my wife a foot massage-her job keeps her on her feet all day long.