PDA

View Full Version : New House

Gracie Dean
06-12-2001, 09:10 AM
Sorry I have been gone. We are all settled in our new house!!! I love it and am glad to be back in Wichita KANSAS.

I just got done mowing MY lawn with my new lawn mower. My husband will be suprised when he gets home.

PLease think good thoughts that I will get a teaching job soon, that way my summer can be spent relaxing and planning for the new school year and not spent searching.

WE are here gaz!:p

Gaz
06-12-2001, 10:06 AM
Congratulations, Pam!

Even though I cannot imagine anyone being glad to live in DooDah, I'm happy that you all are happy.

Hey, if you like mowing lawns so much…

xoxo~
Gaz
Willing to go that extra mile to keep Pam happy.

ct
06-12-2001, 10:58 AM
Ditto Gaz!! Actually I just mowed Sunday, but it seems to grow fast with all the rain lately, so I'll get back to ya in a week.
And I live even closer than Gaz, less travel time. ;)

Thompson family welcomes you to the neighborhood!! We're just up Rock Rd from ya, about 29th St.

ct
DooDah ROCKS!! ok, maybe not...

Gracie Dean
06-12-2001, 11:31 AM
I just got off the phone, and I have a job.

I am the newest social studies teacher at WEST high school

I like mowing MY lawn. Haven't had one of my own in years.

We are off oliver close to 27th!!! So we are almost neighbors!!!

Thanks for the welcome!

Gaz...live in BFE and Wichita is awesome!

bkkcoh
06-12-2001, 11:34 AM
Congrats on the job Pam.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-12-2001, 11:37 AM
Pam,

Congrats on the new home and the new job.

Social Studies, eh? I may have to start watching you with a jaundiced eye. (is a History Major, not History Education major).

Starting up that College of Arts and Sciences vs the College of Education feud again ;)

Gracie Dean
06-12-2001, 11:38 PM
Well,

I think we could have some interesting conversations.

Phobia
06-13-2001, 01:24 AM
Way cool, Pam!

I'm happy for you.

JOhn
06-13-2001, 08:12 AM
Congrats Pam.

Hope every goes smoothly.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-13-2001, 08:39 AM
Pam,

No doubt.

I had a good friend back in college who was a History Education major. We used to debate (good-naturedly, I think) about the value of our various degrees. At the time, I was intending to teach at the college level while he was going to teach HS.

I have always been of the opinion that the College of Education puts too much emphasis on "teaching people how to teach" and not enough on the subject that they're supposed to teach.
My friend's History education degree was 6 hours History, 6 hours PoliSci, 6 hours Sociology and 45 hours of Education classes. My degree was 40 hours of History with 27 hours Criminal Justice Administration for my minor. So, I have 40 hours of history to his 6, but he's qualified to teach History and I'm not. :confused:

I'm firmly of the opinion that either you <b>ARE</b> a teacher, or your not. The Education classes can make you a better teacher, but they can't make you a teacher. Having taught for 3 1/2 years in the military, I've seen some very good, skilled teachers and some very poor teachers come through the same classes.

I'd like to see the College of Education rethink their strategy of making the teachers go back and become Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) through their Master's program. Why not put more of a 50%/50% strategy while they're in undergraduate. Obviously, elementary track for teachers would be somewhat different than for those who want to teach JH/HS (although why <B>ANYONE</b> would want to teach Jr. High is beyond my poor brain).

Anyway, those are just my long-held opinions about public education.

Oxford
06-13-2001, 08:49 AM
Pam, I lived in Wichita many moons ago (as a child). Is Kisler or maybe Kistler elementary still there? If I ever get over that way, I'll try to find the old home place.

milkman
06-13-2001, 08:56 AM
Would somebody tell me why Wichita is referred to as "Doo Dah"?

Gaz
06-13-2001, 09:36 AM
milkman-

I don't know where it came from.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ignorant on this one.

ct
06-13-2001, 10:33 AM
I recall an article by Bob Getz (not Gretz) in the Eagle a while back about the origin of 'DooDah'. Unfortunately, I don't really remember much, except that even as far as NYC, this term of endearment seems to be known. I'll do a little diggin, see if I can come up with that article.

Pam,

Congrats on finding your teaching position. It'll be nice to have some backup when the usual USD259 smack starts to fly. My sister-in-law is a Soc(I think) grad student at WSU, and got an internship at West high last year. Not sure if it will continue next school year or not. She was working with the School Pschologist I believe.

I had an old friend who bought a house in that area, although they have since moved to Belaire. They did like it though, just needed more space(Baby makes 3!). I seem to remember you found a house off Rock Rd, did I miss something?

ct

ChiTown
06-13-2001, 11:24 AM
Pam
Congrat's on the JOB and good luck with all the "stuff" that comes along with moving into a new house and a new job. I like living here, I'm just not ready for the 100 degree 30mph windy days that are just around the corner.

coryt
No more debating from me on USD 259. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue:)

58Forever
06-13-2001, 11:59 AM
http://www.mschloe.com/bcards/dooani.gif

don't know about Wichita, but here is the Doo Dah Bird...:D

Gracie Dean
06-14-2001, 10:34 AM
We initially made an offer on a house on Zimmerly right off Rock road but that did not work out (thank god) and now we live off oliver close to 29th street.

I think that education degrees have changed...I have over 55 hours in Social studies and then I have the phase part.

doodaa............. sounds good to me!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.