PDA

View Full Version : Ricks To Tight End

bishop_74
06-13-2001, 07:51 AM
Wide receiver Mikhael Ricks was practicing as a tight end on Monday and apparently the move is permanent.

WHAT??!! It better not be permanent.

milkman
06-13-2001, 08:17 AM
Bishop,
Why not.
Ricks has the size for the position, and if he can block, this could turn out to be a good move.
With his size and speed, he and Gonzo could create some real mismatch nightmares for opposing Ds.

htismaqe
06-13-2001, 08:26 AM
Why not? It's his only chance to make the team.

He doesn't have the speed or route-running, or hands for that matter, to beat out Horne (who will be guaranteed a spot because of special teams duty) or Minnis, and he won't even be able to beat out JJ Moses, either of the Hall's, or anyone else...

His ONLY chance is at TE. My guess is he's good as gone.

MrBlond
06-13-2001, 08:30 AM
It's not like he is tearing it up as a wide reciever.

nickman
06-13-2001, 09:19 AM
Seems like a great move to me. He is not atheletic enough to play WR in our new system but could certainly fair well again linebackers and most safties if he can handle the physical side of playing tight end.

Ethelyn
06-13-2001, 10:24 AM
Hopefully you dedicated Chiefs will change your mind once you've seen him play. I thought I'd left y'all on the now defunct Kansas City BB, but I see that negative vibes go everywhere.

He wasn't given a chance last year, coming in so late, and now y'all won't even allow him a chance. You didn't see him play, you haven't seen him play and now y'all want to "dog" him. He started his career as a tight end. You don't know nothing about his speed, his athletic ability, or nothing.

bkkcoh
06-13-2001, 10:35 AM
Ethelyn,

Welcome to this BB. I think we would like to see your son do well. I definitely agree with you that he didn't really get the oppurtunity to show what is was capable of.

How does he feel about the switch to TE? Does he feel that it is his only chance to make the team? Or what is it he says about the coaches comments and how he has done in mini-camp?

nickman
06-13-2001, 10:37 AM
Yes Mam you are correct in that we do not know him. And saying he may be a better tightend than a wide receiver is not necessarily a criticism. I sincerely hope that he turns out to be a superstar. But evidence of Vermiel's offense in the past indicates that a small quick wide receiver is what he favors. Mikhael has not shown those traits. He is a tall strong receiver with good speed which would have fit in well with the offense of last year but not this year. The tightend position will play in this offense much like the wide receivers of last year in many cases.

Ethelyn
06-13-2001, 10:42 AM
Okay - this is scary - someone knew that Mikhael is my son. Mikhael has not has a chance to show the traits he possesses because he hasn't had the opportunity.

After talking to him, he's excited about the position. For three years in college he started at Tight End, and the switch to Wide Receiver seemed to be in his favor. He relishes the opportunity to play with Tony G and feels that he can learn a lot from him. I just wish that y'all would give him a chance. This is his last year and who know, if he doesn't do what's determined he can do, he won't be in KC next year. Maybe he'll come home to play in Houston.:p

nickman
06-13-2001, 10:46 AM
Yes we know he is your son. Remember you from the Star BB. Lets hope he finds a position in this offense and gets a chance to show what he can do. It sure seems like it is tough to get that second chance when you have been released by that first team.

bkkcoh
06-13-2001, 10:49 AM
Ethelyn,

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I just remember you from the other chiefs bbs. I apologize.. :(

nickman
06-13-2001, 10:53 AM
Ethelyn,

Just curious, why do you read these chat threads about your son when you know the potential that they may be negative? Pratically anyone on the roster will come under criticsm at one point or another with the possible execption of Gonzalez. And he too probably did his first couple of years. Seems like it would be very hard to take.

Nickman

gh4chiefs
06-13-2001, 11:16 AM
How many TE do we now have on the roster? Anybody but me wondering why we're loading up on so many TE's?

gh4chiefs
06-13-2001, 11:18 AM
I answered my own question. The Chiefs depth chart shows 4 ( I really thought there were several more) and Ricks is listed as one of them.

nickman
06-13-2001, 11:20 AM
7 to date. Yes it seems like a lot for a position that will not be on the field that much. Gonzalez will be on the field but not in the tight end capacity much of the time.

Ethelyn
06-13-2001, 11:23 AM
Reading the BB is something I do because after all my son is a professional, or at least I want to believe he is . . . but I guess that I want to know how the public receives him. I just want my son to do well as I do with my daughter. Yes it's hard, but any football town wants to win and if someone player stands in the way of that win - - then all of the negative communications comes in to play

"Brian K.

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action."

- Johann von Goethe"

What does this mean - and to whom is it directed?

milkman
06-13-2001, 11:23 AM
To further answer your question, I would speculate that the Chiefs want to create a real competition at the B/U TE position, because this offense is going to rely heavily on TG. If he should go down to injury, they would want a quality player to replace him.
Ricks size and athleticism would make him a real viable replacement option.
I personally think this is an outstanding move.

nickman
06-13-2001, 11:24 AM
The seven would be

Gonzalez
Dunn
Ricks
Gammon
Baber
Muther
Thomas

Of couse Gammon would hardly ever play on an actual offensive play.

ChiTown
06-13-2001, 11:31 AM
Miss Ethelyn,

Brian's quote is something that he ends all of his messages with. Many posters do this. It's just a quote that has some significance to the poster and is not directed in any way towards you.

Chi

nickman
06-13-2001, 11:31 AM
Ethelyn,

I guess I can understand that. Of course how we preceive him is totally based upon what he has done in the most recent past and physical measureables that are at best only a slight indication of whether a person can truely play or not. I guess what I am saying is that for most of us if we are critical of his play means nothing in terms of what is really important and that would be whether he is a good person or not.

Ethelyn
06-13-2001, 12:06 PM
That's okay - I know my son's capabilities and I know that he's gonna try and do his best. He's never done anything half way. Anyway I hope he does well, because if you ever seen him, I can't afford to feed him.:D

htismaqe
06-13-2001, 12:13 PM
Dear Mikhael Ricks' mom:

I've always liked your son's size and ability.

That being said, he doesn't possess the necessary traits to be competitive at the WR position in Vermeil's offense. (yes, I watched him play in San Diego, I carried him on my fantasy team his rookie year)

Moving him to TE is the BEST thing that could have happened to him. He would have struggled to even make 4th or 5th WR on this team, but there's a good chance he'll be the #2 TE on this team, and that means he won't just be a backup, because they're gonna use some 2 TE sets this year.

I'm sorry if it offends you, but I don't think he has what it takes to play WR here under Vermeil. He definitely has the skills to be an excellent TE, however, and I hope he does well.

keg in kc
06-13-2001, 12:22 PM
Hi again, Ethelyn.

First off, I should say that people aren't necessarily insulting your son when they say he doesn't fit the profile for the type of receivers this system seems to want. The St. Louis corps of reciever, which is the basis for our assumptions, doesn't have a reciever over 6'0 tall, and they're all speed receivers, as opposed to physical receivers. Furthermore, Vermeil has made comments all summer long about another taller, more "Martyball"-esque (if I may use the term) receiver, Sylvester Morris, comments essentially saying that he needs to learn to play an entirely different style of ball, fast-twitch, speed oriented, and not the physical play he was accustomed to. Most of us, myself included, would consider Mikhael a physical receiver simply because of his size. That's not an insult, by any means, that just means his tools and traits seem to put him in that class. Were we playing what some see as more "traditional" Chiefs ball, then he'd be a perfect fit (as several of us, myself included, said when we picked him up off the waver wire last season...), but we seem to be making a move toward speed over physicality. Again, none of that is meant as a slight on your son.

Now, the Chiefs have today stated, unequivocably what I was just talking about:

The move of Mikhael Ricks from wide receiver to tight end is probably the only chance he has of making the Chiefs 2001 roster. Gunther Cunningham brought Ricks in last year because he was looking for big receivers. Vermeil and offensive coordinator Al Saunders donít care about size, they want quickness and speed. Ricks has a lot to learn about his new position in the coming weeks if heís going to stay around Arrowhead.

Now, I hope your son does very well, because I agree with Red Eyes' point that he could be a valuable backup to Gonzo. I don't think Dunn fits the profile very well and Baber is a rookie, so that would be asking him to shoulder an awful lot at this early stage. Muther is doing well in NFL Europe, but to be honest I question whether he has NFL-level tools. There's a good chance that Gammon, primarily a deep-snapper, will be given his walking papers if Glenn Cadrez steps into that role. That leaves us with questionable depth at TE, and I think this is a tremendous opportunity for your son to step up. As you stated, he's played the position in the past, and although we all hope that Gonzo stays healty, it is imperative to have quality players behind him in case the worst happens.

And, like we (I think...) discussed on another thread, having two tight ends with wide-receiver skills could be a potent offensive weapon in certain situations.

Again, good to see you, and best of luck to Mikhael. ;)

bkkcoh
06-13-2001, 12:26 PM
Ethelyn,

I don't think he would have a problem getting food if he does well for the Chiefs. If there is one thing that you should have noticed, is the fans of the Chiefs are to the point of being rabid. I am sure there would be a lot of people inviting him over to feed him. :)

HC_Chief
06-13-2001, 12:38 PM
Another M Ricks to TE post?

Makes perfect sense to me - he's got the size for the position. He is obviously a good athlete if he played WR.

I remember him at San Diego - I thought he was progressing well; and his size scared the hell outta me (causes matchup problems).

If he can show solid blocking and pass-recieving ability, he'll make the team. Of course, the competition will be very tight: Gonzo(obviously), Dunn, and Baber have to be front-runners. Gammons is a long-snapper slash TE, but his job may be in jeopardy as Cadrez is also an adept long-snapper.

Ricks can be a very good TE IMO - but only if he works really hard and wants the job more than anyone else. It all depends upon his attitude and willingness to be here.

Ethelyn
06-13-2001, 01:00 PM
;) I'm really happy for all of the conversations that we're having. I, like Mikhael just want him to do well. I realize that getting into Vermeil's offense wouldn't happen over night. He told me that when he was in San Diego, the plays were only one word, but in KC the plays are like sentences. So I know that he was having difficulty. I've seen a lot of Vermeil's football teams, and I understand that Mikhael will have to work hard in whatever position he plans to play or the coaches want him to play. He's gonna do alright - - I feel it.

Please don't think that you're hurting my feelings when you talk about Mikhael, I imagine all football fans all over the world, talk about a particular player for whatever reason.

It's all good - - and thanks

bishop_74
06-13-2001, 02:34 PM
I think I am an idiot. I thought that they "permanently" moved Mikheal in to TG's spot and bumped him. Apparently, they "permanantly" switched his position. Sorry for all of the confusion.

Ethelyn
06-13-2001, 03:32 PM
Okay, here you have Tony G. a permanent fixture as the Chiefs' Tight End. Do you think that Vermeil and Saunders are gonna move an unknown into a widely known and respected position in the football field as Tony G has?

Come on now - - :confused: you should know better. People wonder why I look, write and reply to these Bulletin Boards? The reason is gratifying. Sometimes we make mistakes and get people all wound up and realize that they were wrong.

Have a great day Mr. Bishop_74:p

redsurfer11
06-13-2001, 07:32 PM
I really like this move.Not too many people remember when Ozzie Newsome came up to the pros,he was considered a bust at wide receiver.He will be entering the HOF as a TE.Looking foward to seeing how this plays out.

htismaqe
06-14-2001, 08:53 AM
I really think this gives Ricks a chance

Dunn is CONSTANTLY banged up. The only reason he is here is because he's a good pass receiver. Ricks obviously can catch passes, he did quite well his rookie year. Baber is a rookie, he'll be the #3 no matter how you slice it. I see room for 4 TEs on this team, realistically, and Ricks has a shot at being #2.

Ethelyn
06-14-2001, 12:39 PM
I think that Mr. Dunn's legs, ankles, or knees are banged up - - so I feel that that opens up the door for Mikhael to do what he can.
:rolleyes:

Phobia
06-14-2001, 01:11 PM
I really think Ricks will probably be the #2 TE. I watched him in the past 2 years in San Diego and actually predicted that he would become their top WR 2 years ago. Something happened in SD - probably political. He certainly has the tools to be a great receiver. The question is, can he do the other things required of a TE?

Ms. Blackmon - you don't have to type the Post Subject on that line - that just places whatever you type in bold text. I'm not sure what that field is actually for but it is misleading.

Ethelyn
06-14-2001, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Mr. Phobia - you're a big help

KCPHILLY
06-14-2001, 10:02 PM
I always liked DUNN. As an EAGLES fan I've followed his career since his rookie campaign. He's actually more like a DUDLEY. He's an incredible physical specimen with great strenght and a great burst of speed when he turns upfield. Problem is he has the "hands of stone" disease much like DUDS has. Always wanted to see him succeed. The guys an absolute freight train when he gets up to speed.

I like the RICKS move. I also think GAMMONS could be gone and MUTHER and THOMAS are most likely developemental squad this year. If he proves he can block and shows good hands he has a good shot at the #2 spot. I can picture breaking huddle, coming to the line in a 2 TE set , then audible splitting RICKS out and sending TG in motion...

...Could cause many a reputable DC to soil his boxers. :D

chief52
06-14-2001, 11:48 PM
I really like the move. Obviously Ricks has the athletic ability and in Vermiel's offense a TE will be much like a WR. Sounds like a great move!

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2001, 12:01 AM
I think you're wrong about Gammons being gone. He's not really a TE; He's a long-snapper and a good one at that. He's a TE only in roster terminology.

milkman
06-15-2001, 12:12 AM
Pitt,
Cadrez is also a deep snapper, and if he and Gammon are close to the same level in that, Cadrez will win that spot because he is also a valuable asset depth-wise at LB, something that can't be said about Gammon at TE.

TEX
06-15-2001, 12:13 AM
I'm ALL for it!

bkkcoh
06-18-2001, 07:21 AM
Here is a story from the sportingnews pertaining to the Ricks move and info about the cornerback situation.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/20010615-p.html

King_Chief_Fan
06-18-2001, 12:00 PM
Ricks???????????????
I will wait to comment to see what happens. I do not have much faith in the SD cast off. Actions will speak volumes. This team only has place for contributors. We shall see. :o

Ethelyn
06-20-2001, 11:29 AM
Why would you call someone a "cast off"? So far the comments have been a little more gratifying. Some of us are just happy he's getting a chance

King_Chief_Fan
06-20-2001, 11:37 AM
A chance is all anyone deserves. He best make the best of it.
Sounds like he has work cut out for him.

Ethelyn
06-20-2001, 01:12 PM
Sounds like his work is cut out for him, but at least no one is looking at him as a "cast off". He played tight end in college, and I know he's gonna make it regardless . . . if not in KC, then somewhere else. I have faith in him and if God wants it to happen, it will. Regardless, he's had a good run. A lot of guys don't make it that far.

King_Chief_Fan
06-20-2001, 01:18 PM
That's the way you have to look at it. Sometimes we think we know what is best for us and the next thing you know, God takes over. Best of luck to him what ever the result.

Ethelyn
06-20-2001, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Mr. Fan. It's gonna be alright, I feel it in my bones.

milkman
06-20-2001, 02:13 PM
I don't really understand why you find the word 'castoff' to be a derogatory one.

In the NFL, a castoff is simply a player that has been released by one (or more) team(s) and picked up by another.

Ricks fits that description.

Some of our favorite players, Tony Richardson for instance, also fit that description.

I personally am rooting for Ricks. I think this move has potential, and Ricks could be an outstanding #2 TE.

Ethelyn
06-20-2001, 03:27 PM
I realize what castoff means, but when you a mother the word does at first constitute being a deragatory term.

That's a mother's right to defend her children to the end. We just got a news bulletin here in Houston about a mother drowning her five children . . . so I take motherhood personally.

Anyway I was just trying to get to the "root" of the term. We've kissed and made up

AustinChief
06-20-2001, 03:37 PM
Ethelyn,

We've kissed and made up

What would your son think if he knew you were kissing strangers!?! ;)

--Kyle

HC_Chief
06-20-2001, 04:05 PM
LOL

Just think what this forum would be like if <i>all</i> the players' mothers posted here. ;)

Ethelyn
06-20-2001, 04:10 PM
I'm not trying to start anything . . . but I just want my son to do well. Maybe there are some mothers who are posting to this BB and not letting you know:D

I'm just a likable person so I figured that kissing and making up was better than not kissing and having no friends:p

King_Chief_Fan
06-20-2001, 04:23 PM
:D a kiss is better than a sock in the eye. This thread should die now.;)

Ethelyn
06-21-2001, 07:58 AM
Good Morning and . . No problem!:o

bkkcoh
06-22-2001, 11:16 AM
Ethelyn,

Has your son said how the injury to Morris might effect him? Move back to WR or will he stay at TE??

NaptownChief
06-22-2001, 11:31 AM
I would like to see him moved back to WR...I think he can fill the #2 WR spot nicely...I was more impressed with his abilities as a rookie in SD than I was with SlyMo this past year...

HC_Chief
06-22-2001, 11:33 AM
We're going to give this kid a complex... 'gain weight to play TE', 'lose weight to play WR'...

Ethelyn
06-22-2001, 01:18 PM
I just happened to be watching the Comets game last night on ESPN and happened to see what happened to Sylvester. I haven't talked to Mikhael, so I don't know how and if this changes his position . . . but the fact that someone noted that he might get a complex with the weight situation:confused: I sincerely agree. He doesn't like to talk much about what 'sup in camp maybe not to get our hopes up in case :rolleyes: